Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register
Page 1 of 10 1234 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 138
  1. #1
    Atomic Punk Little Dreamer's Avatar
    Join Date
    12.25.99
    Age
    46
    Location
    Pasadena, CA, USA
    Posts
    9,821
    Favorite VH Album

    Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

    Hear About It Later
    Last Online

    02.19.19 @ 02:08 PM
    Likes
    1,743
    Liked 1,917 Times in 1,080 Posts

    Default The Van Halen Movie: coming or not?

    Now that "Bohemian Rhapsody" has surpassed 700 million dollars world wide and could approach a billion in revenue after all is said and done, you know Hollywood is looking for a repeat. This movie has generated crazy profits for 20th century fox. Every other studio is looking for a rock biopic. We'll have Motley Crue and Elton this year, and a Journey movie just got approved.

    They're looking for a band with some drama and flash. Hmmm... I wonder which door they're going to knock on...

    My bet is within the next 6 months, an offer will be on the table of the VH brothers. The Noel Monk book, even with all its flaws, facilitates the work for screenwriters. They love nothing more than when you already have some already existing starting point.

    They'll be facing a dilemma.

    On the one head, the possibility of making a boatload of money, with relatively little actual work. It would jumpstart sales, radio play, etc, etc. Make the band relevant again.

    On the other hand, any VH biopic is going to make them look, at times, like idiots.

    Let the speculation begin!

    (Proposed title: Jump/ RWTD/ ATBL/WCTBL)
    Last edited by Little Dreamer; 02.04.19 at 11:39 AM.
    Little Dreamer

  2. The Following Member Likes This Post:


  3. #2
    Atomic Punk bsbll4's Avatar
    Join Date
    02.18.03
    Age
    35
    Location
    St. Louis, MO
    Posts
    9,718
    Favorite VH Album

    Van Halen/ADKOT
    Favorite VH Song

    Hot For Teacher
    Last Online

    02.19.19 @ 12:58 PM
    Likes
    1,161
    Liked 3,449 Times in 1,702 Posts


    Premium Member

    Default

    There's drama to VH, but let's be honest, it's more greek tragedy than uplifting drama. It's not exactly a feel-good movie when every stage of VH ends in disappointment. Where would you even finish a VH movie to where you could walk out of the theater with a positive mood?

    Besides, the band would never sign on which would make it all the more awkward and weird, especially when they refuse to let them use their music.
    CNN may think my opinion matters, but you shouldn't.

  4. The Following 3 Members Like This Post:


  5. #3
    Baluchitherium Jedi McFly's Avatar
    Join Date
    05.29.03
    Age
    31
    Posts
    4,851
    Last Online

    02.19.19 @ 03:03 PM
    Likes
    3,739
    Liked 4,277 Times in 1,625 Posts


    Premium Member

    Donor

    Default

    I think the CVH era is prime for a film. First act is the formation and release of the first album, second act is '79 building up to the release of Jump and the kick off of the '84 tour, final act is all the drama of the breakup in '85.

    The film ends with Eddie picking up the phone. "Wait, who is this?... The guy from Montrose?"

    Cut to black.


  6. #4
    Atomic Punk Get The Show On The Road's Avatar
    Join Date
    01.05.12
    Age
    43
    Location
    6300 feet above sea level
    Posts
    14,819
    Favorite VH Album

    Van Halen
    Favorite VH Song

    I'm The One
    Last Online

    02.19.19 @ 03:16 PM
    Likes
    23,869
    Liked 14,574 Times in 7,676 Posts


    Premium Member

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bsbll4 View Post
    There's drama to VH, but let's be honest, it's more greek tragedy than uplifting drama. It's not exactly a feel-good movie when every stage of VH ends in disappointment. Where would you even finish a VH movie to where you could walk out of the theater with a positive mood?

    Besides, the band would never sign on which would make it all the more awkward and weird, especially when they refuse to let them use their music.
    Yeah, this will never see the light of day.

    There's no way on god's green earth that the brothers would ever sign off on something like that and I doubt Dave would either.
    The only genre I really know is Van Halen.

  7. The Following Member Likes This Post:


  8. #5
    Atomic Punk Van Squalen's Avatar
    Join Date
    12.21.03
    Posts
    25,117
    Last Online

    02.19.19 @ 03:02 PM
    Likes
    0
    Liked 2,672 Times in 1,705 Posts


    Donor

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Little Dreamer View Post
    Now that "Bohemian Rhapsody" has surpassed 700 million dollars world wide and could approach a billion in revenue after all is said and done, you know Hollywood is looking for a repeat. This movie has generated crazy profits for 20th century fox. Every other studio is looking for a rock biopic. We'll have Motley Crue and Elton this year, and a Journey movie just got approved.

    They're looking for a band with some drama and flash. Hmmm... I wonder which door they're going to knock on...

    My bet is within the next 6 months, an offer will be on the table of the VH brothers. The Noel Monk book, even with all its flaws, facilitates the work for screenwriters. They love nothing more than when you already have some already existing starting point.

    They'll be facing a dilemma.

    On the one head, the possibility of making a boatload of money, with relatively little actual work. It would jumpstart sales, radio play, etc, etc. Make the band relevant again.

    On the other hand, any VH biopic is going to make them look, at times, like idiots.

    Let the speculation begin!

    (Proposed title: Jump/ RWTD/ ATBL/WCTBL)
    Not a chance. They won't even sign off on an official autobiography, much less a movie.

    Besides...again, lol... Queen is huge in the public eye. VH is not. There's no audience to warrant such funding.

    I hadn't heard a Crue or Journey biopic was given a green light. I dunno if those are gonna make any money either. Ehh, maybe Journey. People still love them. I heard DSB is the most popular rock track in the world....not via downloads, but via popular airplay at venues, elevators, bars, or anywhere else you pipe in rock music.

  9. #6
    Sinner's Swing! VH1988's Avatar
    Join Date
    08.07.07
    Location
    Chicago
    Posts
    3,664
    Favorite VH Album

    1986 - 1996
    Favorite VH Song

    5150, Cabo Wabo
    Last Online

    02.19.19 @ 01:57 PM
    Likes
    1,879
    Liked 1,111 Times in 756 Posts

    Default

    Motley Crue and Journey biops are straight to Netflix
    Eddie Van Halen in 2012:

    "ESQ: What are you going to do with all the material that you wrote with Sammy Hagar?

    EVH: Oh, I hadn't thought about that. That's some great music. They're just on vacation, maybe. They're off to college and they're going their own way. Who knows?"

  10. #7
    Atomic Punk Little Dreamer's Avatar
    Join Date
    12.25.99
    Age
    46
    Location
    Pasadena, CA, USA
    Posts
    9,821
    Favorite VH Album

    Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

    Hear About It Later
    Last Online

    02.19.19 @ 02:08 PM
    Likes
    1,743
    Liked 1,917 Times in 1,080 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by VH1988 View Post
    Motley Crue and Journey biops are straight to Netflix
    Straight to Netflix doesn't necessarily mean "small," nowadays. Netflix is also funding the next Scorcese movie this year, and that's a huge movie.

    You could end the VH movie in 2008 with Roth back, Ed happy with his son and remarried and sober. Yes it's a simplification of reality, but Hollywood does this all the time. They'd simplify and change things to make the movie smoother. VH was a visual band, so there's lots of possibilities. You can't do a movie about Rush, for example, as there's zero drama. VH you can.

    Thrashing of hotel rooms, ppl jumping from rooftops into pools, US festival, marriage with TV stars, DLR mountain climbing/jungle visiting, Sammy at Claudio's getting his car repaired - the movie pretty much writes itself.

    Let's see if the bros like their privacy or their money/legacy more.
    Last edited by Little Dreamer; 02.04.19 at 12:28 PM.
    Little Dreamer

  11. The Following 3 Members Like This Post:


  12. #8
    Atomic Punk JUNGLE DRUMMER's Avatar
    Join Date
    04.20.07
    Age
    45
    Posts
    12,452
    Favorite VH Album

    WOMEN AND CHILDREN FIRST/ADKOT
    Favorite VH Song

    EVERYBODY WANTS SOME!!
    Last Online

    02.19.19 @ 03:06 PM
    Likes
    43,001
    Liked 12,005 Times in 6,520 Posts


    Premium Member

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Little Dreamer View Post
    Straight to Netflix doesn't necessarily mean "small," nowadays. Netflix is also funding the next Scorcese movie this year, and that's a huge movie.

    You could end the VH movie in 2008 with Roth back, Ed happy with his son and remarried and sober. Yes it's a simplification of reality, but Hollywood does this all the time. They'd simplify and change things to make the movie smoother. VH was a visual band, so there's lots of possibilities. You can't do a movie about Rush, for example, as there's zero drama. VH you can.

    Let's see if the bros like their privacy or their money/legacy more.
    And with the way Hollywood works, they could even combine the reunion and ADKOT tours into one and make it seem like they happened at the same time. A triumphant reunion coupled with a critically acclaimed comeback album.

  13. #9
    Atomic Punk Little Dreamer's Avatar
    Join Date
    12.25.99
    Age
    46
    Location
    Pasadena, CA, USA
    Posts
    9,821
    Favorite VH Album

    Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

    Hear About It Later
    Last Online

    02.19.19 @ 02:08 PM
    Likes
    1,743
    Liked 1,917 Times in 1,080 Posts

    Default

    Going by the Queen movie, you'll pretty much only hear the hits in the movie. So no ADKOT. Pretty sure nothing after "Right Now" which is the last single that charted in a major way.
    Little Dreamer

  14. #10
    Good Enough CalFB's Avatar
    Join Date
    08.12.13
    Location
    Oz
    Posts
    1,671
    Favorite VH Album

    Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

    Girl Gone Bad
    Last Online

    02.19.19 @ 02:50 PM
    Likes
    680
    Liked 1,528 Times in 801 Posts


    Premium Member

    Default

    The Elton flick will be a hit if it's done well. Crue film will have an audience of 3 and Journey maybe 6.
    Most rock journalism is people who can't write, interviewing people who can't talk, for people who can't read. - Frank Zappa

  15. #11
    Good Enough
    Join Date
    02.04.15
    Posts
    2,210
    Favorite VH Album

    1
    Favorite VH Song

    I'm the One
    Last Online

    02.19.19 @ 01:39 PM
    Likes
    1,303
    Liked 2,450 Times in 1,163 Posts

    Default

    For one, Dave and Ed still believe that Van Halen is an active, fluid band. Why would they ever sign off on a biopic that highlights the past when they believe they are still relevant.

    Anyway, I don't wanna see a VH version of Bohemian Rhapsody. That would just be a better acted version of that crappy thing that was on SpikeTV last year or whatever. Except like BR, it would have Dave and Ed break up in 1980 and then get back together just to play US Fest. Or some other Hollywood BS to make everything rosey. Pass.

    The better option would be a biopic about Edward. Like Ray, or Walk the Line. Let Dave and Sam and even Al be side characters/stories in his life. A dark film about Ed growing up, moving to America, dealing with alcoholism and fame, marrying a celebrity, and being such an influential musician, and almost not making it out of his 40s.

    Call it Eruption.

  16. #12
    Atomic Punk I Coulda Hada VH's Avatar
    Join Date
    12.29.00
    Location
    Land O' Lakers
    Posts
    38,149
    Favorite VH Album

    The First One
    Favorite VH Song

    I'm The One
    Last Online

    02.19.19 @ 03:01 PM
    Likes
    15,823
    Liked 21,675 Times in 12,342 Posts


    Premium Member

    Default

    I'm sorry, but this still cracks me up …

    "It's so lonely at the top because it's so crowded at the bottom" - Diamond David Lee Roth

    "Political correctness is fascism pretending to be manners" - George Carlin

    "Women and Children First ... The REAL Van Halen III"

  17. The Following Member Likes This Post:


  18. #13
    Atomic Punk Van Squalen's Avatar
    Join Date
    12.21.03
    Posts
    25,117
    Last Online

    02.19.19 @ 03:02 PM
    Likes
    0
    Liked 2,672 Times in 1,705 Posts


    Donor

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by CalFB View Post
    The Elton flick will be a hit if it's done well. Crue film will have an audience of 3 and Journey maybe 6.
    I think all three of those assertions are pretty accurate.

  19. #14
    5150 What a Rocker 1973's Avatar
    Join Date
    09.29.15
    Age
    45
    Location
    Bay Area
    Posts
    674
    Favorite VH Album

    The Super Seven
    Favorite VH Song

    Unchained/I'm the One
    Last Online

    02.19.19 @ 11:14 AM
    Likes
    2,845
    Liked 546 Times in 277 Posts

    Default

    I think Van Halen Raising would be the perfect screenplay for a Van Halen movie.

  20. The Following 3 Members Like This Post:


  21. #15
    Atomic Punk Little Dreamer's Avatar
    Join Date
    12.25.99
    Age
    46
    Location
    Pasadena, CA, USA
    Posts
    9,821
    Favorite VH Album

    Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

    Hear About It Later
    Last Online

    02.19.19 @ 02:08 PM
    Likes
    1,743
    Liked 1,917 Times in 1,080 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by What a Rocker 1973 View Post
    I think Van Halen Raising would be the perfect screenplay for a Van Halen movie.
    Like it or not, in the public eye VH is defined as much by its numerous breakups as it is by its music. So the years 1984, 85 and 86 will have to be in there.
    Little Dreamer

 

 

Similar Threads

  1. Van Halen Coming To Australia?
    By Ilovevh in forum 2012-2013 Van Halen Tour
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 07.04.12, 06:10 PM
  2. Van Halen - Sammy Hagar is coming?
    By bsbll4 in forum 2007 Van Halen Tour
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 09.09.07, 12:31 AM
  3. Coming Soon: Van Halen
    By batch in forum Main VH Discussion
    Replies: 48
    Last Post: 06.16.06, 12:12 PM
  4. Replies: 19
    Last Post: 02.14.03, 06:16 AM
  5. Whitesnake is coming back, why not van halen?
    By RevolutionMan in forum Main VH Discussion
    Replies: 19
    Last Post: 10.15.02, 05:37 AM

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •