Page 1 of 10 1234 ... LastLast
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Hear About It Later
    Last Online

02.19.19 @ 02:08 PM
    Liked 1,917 Times in 1,080 Posts

Default The Van Halen Movie: coming or not?

Now that "Bohemian Rhapsody" has surpassed 700 million dollars world wide and could approach a billion in revenue after all is said and done, you know Hollywood is looking for a repeat. This movie has generated crazy profits for 20th century fox. Every other studio is looking for a rock biopic. We'll have Motley Crue and Elton this year, and a Journey movie just got approved.

They're looking for a band with some drama and flash. Hmmm... I wonder which door they're going to knock on...

My bet is within the next 6 months, an offer will be on the table of the VH brothers. The Noel Monk book, even with all its flaws, facilitates the work for screenwriters. They love nothing more than when you already have some already existing starting point.

They'll be facing a dilemma.

On the one head, the possibility of making a boatload of money, with relatively little actual work. It would jumpstart sales, radio play, etc, etc. Make the band relevant again.

On the other hand, any VH biopic is going to make them look, at times, like idiots.

Let the speculation begin!

(Proposed title: Jump/ RWTD/ ATBL/WCTBL)
    Last edited by Little Dreamer; 02.04.19 at 11:39 AM.
    Little Dreamer

2. The Following Member Likes This Post:

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen/ADKOT
    Favorite VH Song

Hot For Teacher
    Last Online

02.19.19 @ 12:58 PM
    Liked 3,449 Times in 1,702 Posts

Premium Member

There's drama to VH, but let's be honest, it's more greek tragedy than uplifting drama. It's not exactly a feel-good movie when every stage of VH ends in disappointment. Where would you even finish a VH movie to where you could walk out of the theater with a positive mood?

Besides, the band would never sign on which would make it all the more awkward and weird, especially when they refuse to let them use their music.
    CNN may think my opinion matters, but you shouldn't.

4. The Following 3 Members Like This Post:

Last Online

02.19.19 @ 03:03 PM
    Liked 4,277 Times in 1,625 Posts

Premium Member

Donor

I think the CVH era is prime for a film. First act is the formation and release of the first album, second act is '79 building up to the release of Jump and the kick off of the '84 tour, final act is all the drama of the breakup in '85.

The film ends with Eddie picking up the phone. "Wait, who is this?... The guy from Montrose?"

Cut to black.

Atomic Punk Get The Show On The Road's Avatar
    Favorite VH Album

Van Halen
    Favorite VH Song

I'm The One
    Last Online

02.19.19 @ 03:16 PM
    Liked 14,574 Times in 7,676 Posts

Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by bsbll4 View Post
    There's drama to VH, but let's be honest, it's more greek tragedy than uplifting drama. It's not exactly a feel-good movie when every stage of VH ends in disappointment. Where would you even finish a VH movie to where you could walk out of the theater with a positive mood?

Besides, the band would never sign on which would make it all the more awkward and weird, especially when they refuse to let them use their music.
    Yeah, this will never see the light of day.

There's no way on god's green earth that the brothers would ever sign off on something like that and I doubt Dave would either.
    The only genre I really know is Van Halen.

7. The Following Member Likes This Post:

Last Online

02.19.19 @ 03:02 PM
    Liked 2,672 Times in 1,705 Posts

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by Little Dreamer View Post
    Now that "Bohemian Rhapsody" has surpassed 700 million dollars world wide and could approach a billion in revenue after all is said and done, you know Hollywood is looking for a repeat. This movie has generated crazy profits for 20th century fox. Every other studio is looking for a rock biopic. We'll have Motley Crue and Elton this year, and a Journey movie just got approved.

They're looking for a band with some drama and flash. Hmmm... I wonder which door they're going to knock on...

My bet is within the next 6 months, an offer will be on the table of the VH brothers. The Noel Monk book, even with all its flaws, facilitates the work for screenwriters. They love nothing more than when you already have some already existing starting point.

They'll be facing a dilemma.

On the one head, the possibility of making a boatload of money, with relatively little actual work. It would jumpstart sales, radio play, etc, etc. Make the band relevant again.

On the other hand, any VH biopic is going to make them look, at times, like idiots.

Let the speculation begin!

(Proposed title: Jump/ RWTD/ ATBL/WCTBL)
    Not a chance. They won't even sign off on an official autobiography, much less a movie.

Besides...again, lol... Queen is huge in the public eye. VH is not. There's no audience to warrant such funding.

I hadn't heard a Crue or Journey biopic was given a green light. I dunno if those are gonna make any money either. Ehh, maybe Journey. People still love them. I heard DSB is the most popular rock track in the world....not via downloads, but via popular airplay at venues, elevators, bars, or anywhere else you pipe in rock music.

Favorite VH Album

1986 - 1996
    Favorite VH Song

5150, Cabo Wabo
    Last Online

02.19.19 @ 01:57 PM
    Liked 1,111 Times in 756 Posts

Motley Crue and Journey biops are straight to Netflix
    Eddie Van Halen in 2012:

"ESQ: What are you going to do with all the material that you wrote with Sammy Hagar?

EVH: Oh, I hadn't thought about that. That's some great music. They're just on vacation, maybe. They're off to college and they're going their own way. Who knows?"

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Hear About It Later
    Last Online

Quote Originally Posted by VH1988 View Post
    Motley Crue and Journey biops are straight to Netflix
    Straight to Netflix doesn't necessarily mean "small," nowadays. Netflix is also funding the next Scorcese movie this year, and that's a huge movie.

You could end the VH movie in 2008 with Roth back, Ed happy with his son and remarried and sober. Yes it's a simplification of reality, but Hollywood does this all the time. They'd simplify and change things to make the movie smoother. VH was a visual band, so there's lots of possibilities. You can't do a movie about Rush, for example, as there's zero drama. VH you can.

Thrashing of hotel rooms, ppl jumping from rooftops into pools, US festival, marriage with TV stars, DLR mountain climbing/jungle visiting, Sammy at Claudio's getting his car repaired - the movie pretty much writes itself.

Let's see if the bros like their privacy or their money/legacy more.
    Last edited by Little Dreamer; 02.04.19 at 12:28 PM.
    Little Dreamer

11. The Following 3 Members Like This Post:

Favorite VH Album

WOMEN AND CHILDREN FIRST/ADKOT
    Favorite VH Song

EVERYBODY WANTS SOME!!
    Last Online

02.19.19 @ 03:06 PM
    Liked 12,005 Times in 6,520 Posts

Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by Little Dreamer View Post
    Straight to Netflix doesn't necessarily mean "small," nowadays. Netflix is also funding the next Scorcese movie this year, and that's a huge movie.

You could end the VH movie in 2008 with Roth back, Ed happy with his son and remarried and sober. Yes it's a simplification of reality, but Hollywood does this all the time. They'd simplify and change things to make the movie smoother. VH was a visual band, so there's lots of possibilities. You can't do a movie about Rush, for example, as there's zero drama. VH you can.

Let's see if the bros like their privacy or their money/legacy more.
    And with the way Hollywood works, they could even combine the reunion and ADKOT tours into one and make it seem like they happened at the same time. A triumphant reunion coupled with a critically acclaimed comeback album.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Hear About It Later
    Last Online

Going by the Queen movie, you'll pretty much only hear the hits in the movie. So no ADKOT. Pretty sure nothing after "Right Now" which is the last single that charted in a major way.
    Little Dreamer

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Girl Gone Bad
    Last Online

02.19.19 @ 02:50 PM
    Liked 1,528 Times in 801 Posts

Premium Member

The Elton flick will be a hit if it's done well. Crue film will have an audience of 3 and Journey maybe 6.
    Most rock journalism is people who can't write, interviewing people who can't talk, for people who can't read. - Frank Zappa

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

I'm the One
    Last Online

02.19.19 @ 01:39 PM
    Liked 2,450 Times in 1,163 Posts

For one, Dave and Ed still believe that Van Halen is an active, fluid band. Why would they ever sign off on a biopic that highlights the past when they believe they are still relevant.

Anyway, I don't wanna see a VH version of Bohemian Rhapsody. That would just be a better acted version of that crappy thing that was on SpikeTV last year or whatever. Except like BR, it would have Dave and Ed break up in 1980 and then get back together just to play US Fest. Or some other Hollywood BS to make everything rosey. Pass.

The better option would be a biopic about Edward. Like Ray, or Walk the Line. Let Dave and Sam and even Al be side characters/stories in his life. A dark film about Ed growing up, moving to America, dealing with alcoholism and fame, marrying a celebrity, and being such an influential musician, and almost not making it out of his 40s.

Call it Eruption.

Favorite VH Album

The First One
    Favorite VH Song

I'm The One
    Last Online

02.19.19 @ 03:01 PM
    Liked 21,675 Times in 12,342 Posts

Premium Member

I'm sorry, but this still cracks me up …

"It's so lonely at the top because it's so crowded at the bottom" - Diamond David Lee Roth

"Political correctness is fascism pretending to be manners" - George Carlin

"Women and Children First ... The REAL Van Halen III"

17. The Following Member Likes This Post:

Last Online

02.19.19 @ 03:02 PM
    Liked 2,672 Times in 1,705 Posts

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by CalFB View Post
    The Elton flick will be a hit if it's done well. Crue film will have an audience of 3 and Journey maybe 6.
    I think all three of those assertions are pretty accurate.

Favorite VH Album

The Super Seven
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained/I'm the One
    Last Online

02.19.19 @ 11:14 AM
    Liked 546 Times in 277 Posts

I think Van Halen Raising would be the perfect screenplay for a Van Halen movie.

20. The Following 3 Members Like This Post:

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Hear About It Later
    Last Online

Quote Originally Posted by What a Rocker 1973 View Post
    I think Van Halen Raising would be the perfect screenplay for a Van Halen movie.
    Like it or not, in the public eye VH is defined as much by its numerous breakups as it is by its music. So the years 1984, 85 and 86 will have to be in there.
    Little Dreamer