fair warning/ 5150
    Favorite VH Song

happy trails/ dreams
    Last Online

04.24.19 @ 04:59 PM
    Liked 2,113 Times in 1,150 Posts

Premium Member

Donor

Default Is new music really that important to y'all?

Serious question.

How can music /songs made today, from bands from our youth have any kind of shelf life to you personally? Nothing Van Halen puts out today( Sam too, cool your tits) can ever have the impact that songs from the past have. When it's new, there is certainly a buzz about it, but over time, I always go back to my favorite blanket. My blanket is more than three decades old.
    Utilize. Improvise. Adapt. Overcome.

I love coffee and sarcasm.

RJD \m/

Sig Pic courtesy of Greenpaw

2. The Following 2 Members Like This Post:

Last Online

04.24.19 @ 08:20 PM
    Liked 3,006 Times in 1,917 Posts

Donor

Itís extremely important to me. Iím so washed out on the old stuff I donít even listen to it anymore. Just too much repetition. Same with every other old school band.

Metallica still puts out new product. So do the Scorps, Billy Idol, hell, even Zeppelin and the Doors manage new product.

Of course nothingís going to have the impact of Fair Warning or Physical Graffiti, but thereís always a chance a new release could at least have a place for itself.
    Last edited by Van Squalen; 01.27.19 at 03:15 PM.

4. The Following 3 Members Like This Post:

Favorite VH Album

fair warning/ 5150
    Favorite VH Song

happy trails/ dreams
    Last Online

Premium Member

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by Van Squalen View Post
    It’s a extremely important to me. I’m so washed out on the old stuff I don’t even listen to it anymore. Just too much repetition. Same with every other old school band.

Metallica still puts out new product. So do the Scorps, Billy Idol, hell, even Zeppelin and the Doors manage new product.

Of course nothing’s going to hsve the impact of Fair Warning or Physical Graffiti, but there’s always a chance a new release could at least have a place for itself.
    I appreciate your response VS. I really am interested in how my contemporaries feel about this subject.

"Have a place for itself" Interesting way to put it.

I struggle mightily there. Maybe I see/hear music as a way to transport and connect, and that's missing from new music.

RJD \m/

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Panama
    Last Online

04.24.19 @ 08:19 PM
    Liked 8,709 Times in 6,265 Posts

Premium Member

It's an interesting and legit question...
    I would love more music from the band, even if it's N.O.S. again. Something about having a new batch of tunes to listen to and hopefully enjoy. Some will likely resonate with you and some may not, yet I'd rather have the options there and make up my own mind, rather than the band shelving stuff because 'the fans just want to hear the hits'.

Of course nothing will compare to the stuff we grew up with. How could it? Hey that doesn't mean there might not still be lots to enjoy, and for the guitarists, new licks to learn... For example.

I just wish any 'new' music could come from both main VH camps, as opposed to being forcefed only one, due to band politics and grudges etc.

My $0.02.
    "There's too many people on this basketball that's floating around the sun, who are too afraid to allow themselves to FEEL" - Edward Van Halen
    "Van Halen was never about the singer..." - A very wise fan.
    "Embrace the past. Live in the moment but keep your eyes on the future, and keep on moving forward..." - Richie Sambora

7. The Following Member Likes This Post:

NDL

Favorite VH Album

fair warning/ 5150
    Favorite VH Song

happy trails/ dreams
    Last Online

Premium Member

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by RRvh1 View Post
    It's an interesting and legit question...
    I would love more music from the band, even if it's N.O.S. again. Something about having a new batch of tunes to listen to and hopefully enjoy. Some will likely resonate with you and some may not, yet I'd rather have the options there and make up my own mind, rather than the band shelving stuff because 'the fans just want to hear the hits'.

Of course nothing will compare to the stuff we grew up with. How could it? Hey that doesn't mean there might not still be lots to enjoy, and for the guitarists, new licks to learn... For example.

I just wish any 'new' music could come from both main VH camps, as opposed to being forcefed only one, due to band politics and grudges etc.

My $0.02.
    Thanks Robbie. You approach it like VS.

I'm absolutely jazzed when any band/singer I like puts out new music, but as the years pass, the music doesn't stick with me like the oldies.

RJD \m/

Favorite VH Album

Alex, Dave, Ed and Mike
    Favorite VH Song

The songs with Ed on them
    Last Online

04.24.19 @ 07:25 PM
    Liked 24,769 Times in 12,490 Posts

Premium Member

I care about new music, whether or not whatever VH puts out, or DLR, or Sam, is not up to par with their prior output is irrelevant.

I don't even know anymore how many times I have seen VH off the top of my head. A lot. And I know that their best shows are behind them, I've already seen them at their best. If you ask me to take a new ok album or a great nostalgia show I would take the new album every time.
    If I don't respond to you it means I have you on ignore, which means you are a douchenozzle.

Emperor Brett - "I can't believe you guys are analyzing song-by-song Van Halen III? What next, analyzing the script of Stroker Ace looking for some shred of Citizen Kane?"

David Lee Roth did the impossible. He made Van Halen better. Deal with it!

A man's rights rests in three boxes: the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box

Hurricane Halen - Let's all gingery touch our sword tips!!!

10. The Following 4 Members Like This Post:

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Panama
    Last Online

04.24.19 @ 08:19 PM
    Liked 8,709 Times in 6,265 Posts

Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by Nostalgia Act View Post
    Thanks Robbie. You approach it like VS.

I'm absolutely jazzed when any band/singer I like puts out new music, but as the years pass, the music doesn't stick with me like the oldies.
    VS posted while I was replying.
    I know what you mean; ADKOT, III, the BOBW tracks etc. don't move me or hold up to VH from '78-'96 for me, even though I like them for what they are.

I don't even own the last couple of CDs, nor have I seen the tours for other bands I like such as;
    - Ozzy
    - Bon Jovi
    - KISS
    - Whitesnake
    Etc.
    "There's too many people on this basketball that's floating around the sun, who are too afraid to allow themselves to FEEL" - Edward Van Halen
    "Van Halen was never about the singer..." - A very wise fan.
    "Embrace the past. Live in the moment but keep your eyes on the future, and keep on moving forward..." - Richie Sambora

Favorite VH Album

fair warning/ 5150
    Favorite VH Song

happy trails/ dreams
    Last Online

Premium Member

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by Dave's Dreidel View Post
    I care about new music, whether or not whatever VH puts out, or DLR, or Sam, is not up to par with their prior output is irrelevant.

I don't even know anymore how many times I have seen VH off the top of my head. A lot. And I know that their best shows are behind them, I've already seen them at their best. If you ask me to take a new ok album or a great nostalgia show I would take the new album every time.
    Right on DD!

I guess I'm probably the oddball that will take the tour, because I know what will happen to the new music in time. In the case of Van Halen, there are still some deep cuts I would take over any new music, live and in person.

RJD \m/

Last Online

Donor

I appreciate your response VS. I really am interested in how my contemporaries feel about this subject.

"Have a place for itself" Interesting way to put it.

I struggle mightily there. Maybe I see/hear music as a way to transport and connect, and that's missing from new music.
    Thereís light to be found in post millennium tuneage. Though it usually requires branching out from old school 80ís cock rock. I tend to find the most new tasty grooves in alt-rock fusion these days.

Green Dayís last release might be their best ever. That was just in 2016.

Don Felder - criminally underrated former Eagles axe man - is about to drop a new album with guest artists like Slash, Sammy Hagar, Bob Weir, Joe Satriani, Chad Smith and Mick Fleetwood. Sounds pretty promising. I caught Felder live a few times in the last decade, heís absolutely a legendary gunslinger.

Slashís solo albums with the Conspirators are certainly worth exploring, and few actively working musicians have live chops like the mailman. I see his solo tours anytime they hit the Sunset Strip clubs, which is a fair amount.

Billy Idol and Steve Stevens tour a lot, and Stevens is an utterly bad ass live gunslinger. Their last album in Ď15 was hit and miss, but again...worth exploring.

Thereís light to be found in new music from old school rockers. You just gotta search for it. It ainít the 80ís anymore.

14. The Following 3 Members Like This Post:

Favorite VH Album

fair warning/ 5150
    Favorite VH Song

happy trails/ dreams
    Last Online

Premium Member

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by Van Squalen View Post
    Thereís light to be found in post millennium tuneage. Though it usually requires branching out from old school 80ís cock rock. I tend to find the most new tasty grooves in alt-rock fusion these days.

Green Dayís last release might be their best ever. That was just in 2016.

Don Felder - criminally underrated former Eagles axe man - is about to drop a new album with guest artists like Slash, Sammy Hagar, Bob Weir, Joe Satriani, Chad Smith and Mick Fleetwood. Sounds pretty promising. I caught Felder live a few times in the last decade, heís absolutely a legendary gunslinger.

Slashís solo albums with the Conspirators are certainly worth exploring, and few actively working musicians have live chops like the mailman. I see his solo tours anytime they hit the Sunset Strip clubs, which is a fair amount.

Billy Idol and Steve Stevens tour a lot, and Stevens is an utterly bad ass live gunslinger. Their last album in Ď15 was hit and miss, but again...worth exploring.

Thereís light to be found in new music from old school rockers. You just gotta search for it. It ainít the 80ís anymore.
    Fair points, but knowing me...they want have a shelf life after a few years. Perhaps sooner.

RJD \m/

Last Online

Donor

Fair points, but knowing me...they want have a shelf life after a few years. Perhaps sooner.
    The old stuff has a shelf life too, trust me. You just havenít hit absolute saturation point yet. Maybe you never will, and thatíd be awesome. Me, I canít listen to VH or Zep or Rush anymore. I mean, how many tens of thousands of times can I listen to Ď84 or Moving Pictures or Zep III and find myself getting bored?

Truth is, nothing is timeless.

Gotta have new art to experience. Otherwise itís living in a box until the box goes into the ground. So to speak.

Good Enough
    Last Online

04.24.19 @ 06:02 PM
    Liked 2,740 Times in 1,295 Posts

Well Iíd like to see new music for a few reasons. No it wonít resonate like 81, but I like to see artists create. Hearing Eddie create new music with Daveís writing behind it after the lives theyíve lead, I think what they create could be real interesting
    Iíve been to many a VH show, Iíve seen them great, and have some struggles, and with the exception of Fools, Iíve heard every VH song live I could ever dream of, and Iíve heard the same Ed solo countless times
    But hearing new riffs, new breakdowns, new creations, no it wonít rock the world, but it sure would make this aging fan smile, because the window for anything new is rapidly closing
    I can relive live experiences on YouTube all day long but experiencing new music for the first time, that only happens once

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

18. The Following 4 Members Like This Post:

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

04.24.19 @ 08:17 PM
    Liked 15,725 Times in 6,833 Posts

Default Is new music really that important to y'all?

Yes it would be nice to have some new stuff. And I donít mean redoing old demos with new lyrics. Not rehashing ideas from decades ago. Writing NEW music and using FRESH ideas. That I would enjoy.
    Webmaster
    VHLinks.com - Your Van Halen Internet Resource Guide
    http://www.vhlinks.com

JamToThis.com
    Audio/Video Trading Community
    Tons of Van Halen!

20. The Following 6 Members Like This Post:

Favorite VH Album

VH II
    Favorite VH Song

Humans Being
    Last Online

04.24.19 @ 05:03 PM
    Liked 214 Times in 98 Posts

Premium Member

Donor

It's not that important at this point. It is however, disappointing that the band isn't putting out anything new. Maybe a single occasionally released with some older unreleased tracks would be nice. I think VH still has the ability to put out some incredible music, that's what hurts.

Favorite VH Album

VH II
    Favorite VH Song

Humans Being
    Last Online

04.24.19 @ 05:03 PM
    Liked 214 Times in 98 Posts

Premium Member

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by Brett View Post
    Yes it would be nice to have some new stuff. And I don’t mean redoing old demos with new lyrics. Not rehashing ideas from decades ago. Writing NEW music and using FRESH ideas. That I would enjoy.
    Exactly!

23. The Following Member Likes This Post: