Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Girl Gone Bad
    Last Online

12.09.19 @ 12:26 AM
    Liked 1,762 Times in 937 Posts

Premium Member

I'm always looking out for new music, from any band that I like, new or old. Much like Jedi, new VH music would hold way more importance to me than a tour.
    Most rock journalism is people who can't write, interviewing people who can't talk, for people who can't read. - Frank Zappa

Atomic Punk
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Bottoms Up!
    Last Online

09.27.19 @ 09:08 PM
    Liked 4,111 Times in 2,567 Posts

I think with the bands we grow up loving it's just hard wired in many of us to want new stuff for as long as we can get it.
    If not new songs then old shows, demos, unreleased....anything they're willing to offer.

Normally, new songs 40 years after the fact probably aren't gonna be everlasting like the old stuff, but I think some of the songs on ADKOT are.
    You and Your Blues, As Is, Stay Frosty, Beats Workin', Outta Space.... I still jam these regularly.

Being it was their first record in decades, it kinda did have an effect on me like the old ones. It wasn't a record on the level of the classics, but it still had an effect on me.

3. The Following Member Likes This Post:

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Dreams
    Last Online

12.08.19 @ 11:52 PM
    Liked 1,359 Times in 875 Posts

I think of my other favorite bands--most of which are '80s hair rock or "pussy rock" as I call it--and they don't seem to have many quality songs from after their heyday. I consider "quality" falling into these 3 criteria:

1. Well-written with a good hook
    2. Sounds like nothing they've done before
    3. Still sounds like the band

The only ones I can think of from my faves are:

Motley Crue:

"Hooligan's Holiday," "Flush" despite the hack-y title, "If I Die Tomorrow" but they had co-writers, "Saints of Los Angeles," and the new one they strangely only played live once on their finale tour, "All Bad Things." Those I'd say qualify.

The rest of the Corabi songs rock but I find boring and hook-less. "Afraid" has great verses but a dull chorus and the rest of the album for the most part doesn't even sound like them. "Bitter" and "Enslaved" are mediocre. "Hell on High Heels" is catchy as fuck but sounds like something they could've done ten years earlier and although the rest of the album is rockin', it's drab and they sound like demos that took 10 minutes to write. "Sick Love Song" is the epitome of paint-by-numbers rock and rips off "Immigrant Song." SLOS is good, but nothing special. Take "MF of the Year" for example. Rips off their first single during the chorus which rips off POD itself. And it sucks. "Sex" is catchy but lame as fuck.

Whitesnake:

Skipping "Restless Heart" for obvious reasons, but since they've (well, "he's") reunited (with himself), their songs have been good at best: "Ready to Rock," "Lay Down Your Love," "Love Will Set You Free," "Steal Your Heart Away"..."Whipping Boy Blues" is cool but only because it cops "Bring It on Home." No qualifiers though because they don't sound updated enough from their past.

I guess "Lay" would qualify if I had to pick one.

Ratt:

"Hold Tight" was good, but not good enough. "Over the Edge" is close to great. "Live for Today" was alright. "Best of Me" and "Eat Me Up Alive," eh, okay. I thought Arcade's songs were really good though, oddly enough.

"Over" qualifies.

Poison:

For those of you who don't despise them..."Stand?" Good, but not great. The rest of those songs were pretty good, but nothing special and cookie-cutter I thought. I thought Crack a Smile had better riffs. Some of those are pretty damn good, particularly "Sexual Thing" which definitely fits the bill.. Power to the People's title track was definitely different which I respected, but not catchy enough. "Can't Bring Me Down" fits all 3 criteria to a T so I'd qualify it for sure. That's the epitome of what I'm talking about."I Hate Every Bone In Your Body" is lame, but it is catchy so I'd qualify it (they should've had both Bret and he share the vocals to make it a proper Poison song--they missed out on that one which could've been a semi-hit). Hollyweird sounds like it took them an hour to write, but one song would be an exception: "Get Ya Some."

So "Sexual," "Bring," "Bone," and "Get" make the cut.

Def Leppard:

"Slang" the song, yes. The rest of the album, nope. Lots of good ones like "Promises," "Paper Sun," and "Day After Day" but not good or unique enough to stand out. "All Night" and "Back in Your Face" might have, but are rip-offs of obvious songs. "Now"...meh. "Four-letter Word" close, but sounds unfinished. "Nine Lives" maybe. The rest of their tunes are boring, bland cliche anthems like "C'mon C'mon" and "Undefeated." "Let's Go" is another one. "Dangerous" is a weak song title with no thought put into it, and although the music is great from the latter two, they obviously rip off two of their old hits.

I'll give them "Slang" and "Nine Lives."

Guns 'N Roses:

"Oh My God" was cool but a little too different. "Better" definitely qualifies. "Shackler's Revenge" and the title track...nothing special. A couple others on the album were cool but nothing really stood out for me. While I'm on the subject, I'll give Velvet Revolver "Dirty Little Thing," but that's it. "Slither" was cool but too generic. Their other tunes like "Falling to Pieces" and "She Builds Quick Machines" or whatever it's called I thought were boring which really surprised me given the talent involved.

"Better" and "Dirty."

Kiss:

I still count them in this category since they jumped on the ripping-off VH bandwagon in the early '80s. "Jungle" was okay. "Psycho Circus" was pretty good, but not good enough. I actually think the song "You Wanted the Best, You Got the Best" should've been the lead single. The chorus melody needs work though. Some songs from their newer albums like "Modern Day Delilah," "Say Yeah," "Never Enough," and "Hell or Hallelujah" were all just mediocre to me.

"Best" is it.

Then you have other bands in the genre like Bon Jovi--I do like '80s BJ but their '90s-and-on stuff is so lame. I like a couple songs here and there from the '90s, and I'll definitely give them "It's My Life" despite being derivative of "Living on a Prayer." "Everyday" was cool, but ripped off the aforementioned song which was a rip-off itself. Everything after made them the gayest band in the world. Hey, I love uplifting anthems--"Dreams," "Jump," "Top of the World," "Right Now," "Give to Live," Rocky songs--but "Have a Nice Day?" "If the world gets in your way, say 'Have a nice day?'" Wow that's so rock'n'roll! Sounds like a fuckin' after-school special or something said at the end of a G.I. Joe cartoon. Everything they've put out after that is a pussified anthem and I'm no longer a fan.

Let's see, other bands I like from that era...Quiet Riot's "Rock the House"...Winger's "Down Incognito"...okay, I guess. Don't know any modern White Lion (well, Mike Tramp's White Lion) songs...let's see--oh the Scorps! Not a big Scorpions guy but I do like them, and I will say "Humanity" is probably the best example of a great song by an old artist. That is the epitome.

Also, Ozzy's like Bon Jovi where everything is now a generic anthem or ballad, just not pussified ones like Jon Bon's, and they've gotten boring since the new millennium. His late '90s stuff I dug though.

Anyways, that's my contribution to the conversation. Just '80s hard rock/metal/pussy rock/hair whatever. And bear in mind I didn't listen to every song on every album, some of my opinion is just based off their chosen singles.
    Dave
    VH FOREVER!!!!!!!

Stats:
    BECAME PSYCHO FAN: 12/91
    VAN HALEN W/DAVE: 9x
    VAN HALEN W/SAMMY: 8x
    VAN HALEN W/GARY: 5x
    CHICKENFOOT/THE CIRCLE: 9x
    DAVE SOLO: 13x
    SAMMY SOLO: 15x (W/MONTROSE 1x, @CABO WABO CANTINA 1x)
    GARY/EXTREME/TRIBE OF JUDAH/HURTSMILE: 7x
    MET: Sammy 1x, Dave almost 1x, Gary 2x

Favorite VH Album

The Classic 6 Pack
    Favorite VH Song

Take Your Whiskey Home
    Last Online

12.08.19 @ 10:45 AM
    Liked 346 Times in 139 Posts

New music is vital and as with everything in this world a sign of life... Majestic trees regenerate new leaves and branches for hundreds of years, not because they are trying to impress anyone or because it's popular, but because they are alive.

Same thing with music!

I enjoy a lot of blues and jazz and those genres pre-date rock-n-roll by decades. There's new artists still coming up and old artists still laying down a groove and keeping it fresh or more importantly alive!!

If you stop renewing and growing... what's the end result..? Death. Ain't nobody got time for that...
    Woke up this mornin, got Blue Moon in your eyes...

Favorite VH Album

ADKOT
    Favorite VH Song

Outta Space
    Last Online

12.08.19 @ 06:15 PM
    Liked 933 Times in 499 Posts

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by Nostalgia Act View Post
    Serious question.

How can music /songs made today, from bands from our youth have any kind of shelf life to you personally? Nothing Van Halen puts out today( Sam too, cool your tits) can ever have the impact that songs from the past have. When it's new, there is certainly a buzz about it, but over time, I always go back to my favorite blanket. My blanket is more than three decades old.
    Well, of COURSE nothing a band like VH might put out today would have the impact that their older stuff has had.

I probably won't live long enough for it to get that old and stand the test of time, lol.

Seriously, if VH released something that was as good as the first album, it wouldn't be considered that way. Nobody would be saying "Damn, this stands right alongside 'I'm the One and Atomic Punk".

Because those songs have been in our consciousness for so long now, and we've heard them so many times that honestly, nothing could ever compare no matter how good it is or who puts it out.

A stellar new album would have to be popular enough to get played all the time....never gonna happen. Then it'd have to keep getting played after its initial run was over...never gonna happen.
    THEN, it would have to stay around for 20 years and people would get some perspective on it after living with it for that long.

And we're all old, and new VH is never going to catch on with young folks. So never gonna happen.

That said, I'd LOVE some new music from VH. I thoroughly enjoyed ADKOT, and still play it all the time.
    I asked a ref if he could give me a technical foul for thinking bad things about him. He said, of course not. I said, well, I think you stink. And he gave me a technical. You can't trust em. -
    Jimmy V

Favorite VH Album

FUCK or 5150
    Favorite VH Song

Mine All Mine, 5150
    Last Online

12.06.19 @ 11:13 AM
    Liked 2,373 Times in 1,418 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by DFVH5150 View Post
    I think of my other favorite bands--most of which are '80s hair rock or "pussy rock" as I call it--and they don't seem to have many quality songs from after their heyday. I consider "quality" falling into these 3 criteria:

1. Well-written with a good hook
    2. Sounds like nothing they've done before
    3. Still sounds like the band

The only ones I can think of from my faves are:

Motley Crue:

"Hooligan's Holiday," "Flush" despite the hack-y title, "If I Die Tomorrow" but they had co-writers, "Saints of Los Angeles," and the new one they strangely only played live once on their finale tour, "All Bad Things." Those I'd say qualify.

The rest of the Corabi songs rock but I find boring and hook-less. "Afraid" has great verses but a dull chorus and the rest of the album for the most part doesn't even sound like them. "Bitter" and "Enslaved" are mediocre. "Hell on High Heels" is catchy as fuck but sounds like something they could've done ten years earlier and although the rest of the album is rockin', it's drab and they sound like demos that took 10 minutes to write. "Sick Love Song" is the epitome of paint-by-numbers rock and rips off "Immigrant Song." SLOS is good, but nothing special. Take "MF of the Year" for example. Rips off their first single during the chorus which rips off POD itself. And it sucks. "Sex" is catchy but lame as fuck.

Whitesnake:

Skipping "Restless Heart" for obvious reasons, but since they've (well, "he's") reunited (with himself), their songs have been good at best: "Ready to Rock," "Lay Down Your Love," "Love Will Set You Free," "Steal Your Heart Away"..."Whipping Boy Blues" is cool but only because it cops "Bring It on Home." No qualifiers though because they don't sound updated enough from their past.

I guess "Lay" would qualify if I had to pick one.

Ratt:

"Hold Tight" was good, but not good enough. "Over the Edge" is close to great. "Live for Today" was alright. "Best of Me" and "Eat Me Up Alive," eh, okay. I thought Arcade's songs were really good though, oddly enough.

"Over" qualifies.

Poison:

For those of you who don't despise them..."Stand?" Good, but not great. The rest of those songs were pretty good, but nothing special and cookie-cutter I thought. I thought Crack a Smile had better riffs. Some of those are pretty damn good, particularly "Sexual Thing" which definitely fits the bill.. Power to the People's title track was definitely different which I respected, but not catchy enough. "Can't Bring Me Down" fits all 3 criteria to a T so I'd qualify it for sure. That's the epitome of what I'm talking about."I Hate Every Bone In Your Body" is lame, but it is catchy so I'd qualify it (they should've had both Bret and he share the vocals to make it a proper Poison song--they missed out on that one which could've been a semi-hit). Hollyweird sounds like it took them an hour to write, but one song would be an exception: "Get Ya Some."

So "Sexual," "Bring," "Bone," and "Get" make the cut.

Def Leppard:

"Slang" the song, yes. The rest of the album, nope. Lots of good ones like "Promises," "Paper Sun," and "Day After Day" but not good or unique enough to stand out. "All Night" and "Back in Your Face" might have, but are rip-offs of obvious songs. "Now"...meh. "Four-letter Word" close, but sounds unfinished. "Nine Lives" maybe. The rest of their tunes are boring, bland cliche anthems like "C'mon C'mon" and "Undefeated." "Let's Go" is another one. "Dangerous" is a weak song title with no thought put into it, and although the music is great from the latter two, they obviously rip off two of their old hits.

I'll give them "Slang" and "Nine Lives."

Guns 'N Roses:

"Oh My God" was cool but a little too different. "Better" definitely qualifies. "Shackler's Revenge" and the title track...nothing special. A couple others on the album were cool but nothing really stood out for me. While I'm on the subject, I'll give Velvet Revolver "Dirty Little Thing," but that's it. "Slither" was cool but too generic. Their other tunes like "Falling to Pieces" and "She Builds Quick Machines" or whatever it's called I thought were boring which really surprised me given the talent involved.

"Better" and "Dirty."

Kiss:

I still count them in this category since they jumped on the ripping-off VH bandwagon in the early '80s. "Jungle" was okay. "Psycho Circus" was pretty good, but not good enough. I actually think the song "You Wanted the Best, You Got the Best" should've been the lead single. The chorus melody needs work though. Some songs from their newer albums like "Modern Day Delilah," "Say Yeah," "Never Enough," and "Hell or Hallelujah" were all just mediocre to me.

"Best" is it.

Then you have other bands in the genre like Bon Jovi--I do like '80s BJ but their '90s-and-on stuff is so lame. I like a couple songs here and there from the '90s, and I'll definitely give them "It's My Life" despite being derivative of "Living on a Prayer." "Everyday" was cool, but ripped off the aforementioned song which was a rip-off itself. Everything after made them the gayest band in the world. Hey, I love uplifting anthems--"Dreams," "Jump," "Top of the World," "Right Now," "Give to Live," Rocky songs--but "Have a Nice Day?" "If the world gets in your way, say 'Have a nice day?'" Wow that's so rock'n'roll! Sounds like a fuckin' after-school special or something said at the end of a G.I. Joe cartoon. Everything they've put out after that is a pussified anthem and I'm no longer a fan.

Let's see, other bands I like from that era...Quiet Riot's "Rock the House"...Winger's "Down Incognito"...okay, I guess. Don't know any modern White Lion (well, Mike Tramp's White Lion) songs...let's see--oh the Scorps! Not a big Scorpions guy but I do like them, and I will say "Humanity" is probably the best example of a great song by an old artist. That is the epitome.

Also, Ozzy's like Bon Jovi where everything is now a generic anthem or ballad, just not pussified ones like Jon Bon's, and they've gotten boring since the new millennium. His late '90s stuff I dug though.

Anyways, that's my contribution to the conversation. Just '80s hard rock/metal/pussy rock/hair whatever. And bear in mind I didn't listen to every song on every album, some of my opinion is just based off their chosen singles.
    I really, really enjoy Poison's Crack a Smile, I don't listen to anything else they've ever done but that disk is really, really exceptional

Favorite VH Album

all of the dave era
    Favorite VH Song

drop dead legs
    Last Online

11.13.19 @ 09:46 AM
    Liked 122 Times in 69 Posts

I would take new music any day over another tour. An actual album would be nice.

9. The Following Member Likes This Post:

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Dreams
    Last Online

12.08.19 @ 11:52 PM
    Liked 1,359 Times in 875 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Bad to the Bone View Post
    I really, really enjoy Poison's Crack a Smile, I don't listen to anything else they've ever done but that disk is really, really exceptional
    Yeah the song quality--the melodies, riffs, hooks (not to mention production) were far superior to their Hollyweird album with C.C. Shame nothing ever really came out of it.
    Dave
    VH FOREVER!!!!!!!

Stats:
    BECAME PSYCHO FAN: 12/91
    VAN HALEN W/DAVE: 9x
    VAN HALEN W/SAMMY: 8x
    VAN HALEN W/GARY: 5x
    CHICKENFOOT/THE CIRCLE: 9x
    DAVE SOLO: 13x
    SAMMY SOLO: 15x (W/MONTROSE 1x, @CABO WABO CANTINA 1x)
    GARY/EXTREME/TRIBE OF JUDAH/HURTSMILE: 7x
    MET: Sammy 1x, Dave almost 1x, Gary 2x

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Mean Street
    Last Online

08.04.19 @ 07:31 PM
    Liked 682 Times in 325 Posts

Donít see why they canít put out a couple of new tracks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Eat Us and Smile!

12. The Following 2 Members Like This Post:

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Drop Dead Legs maybe
    Last Online

02.26.19 @ 02:42 PM
    Liked 178 Times in 107 Posts

New music is totally important to me. I don't really go crazy for concerts (especially now that they cost the same as buying several albums), but I listen to my music collection constantly. It's frustrating when bands I like take forever for new releases. I love it when artists crank out tons of material over the years.

And I've gotten accustomed to the concept that there's a heyday ... I'm cool with later period music having its flaws. It's just people, you know? I tend to spin a LOT of later period albums just to give them a sympathetic ear I guess. I just listened to Tokyo Dome and ADKOT over the last few days and really enjoyed that, despite my own misgivings about those albums.

Lately I've been spinning 90s Black Sabbath, trying to get my head around that material. I haven't listened to the Tony Martin era before.

Sometimes my kids will rib me for you know, "listening to bad music on purpose". And it's a challenge for sure sometimes. But definitely pays off. You do get used to artists' more recent music over time, and it does begin to sound a little more normal and a little less shitty.
    Kevin

Good Enough
    Last Online

12.05.19 @ 11:45 PM
    Liked 463 Times in 218 Posts

When does that transition from relevant band to legacy band happen?

Do fans just have a subconscious feeling, "I've heard all I need to hear. I don't need anything new."

Is it because of a long gap between album releases?

Maybe a band has broken up and after many years, decides to get back together. When this happens, fans usually have but the band's work "under glass"--nothing else is allowed to get out. "Nothing is going to top what I've already heard from this band."

Can a band/musician avoid the transition?

I'm very fascinated by this. What makes a person say, "Ok, I only want to hear the hits from this band from now on."

In Van Halen's case, I think this happened after Sammy left.
    Leave everything to me!-Powdered Toast Man

Atomic Punk
    Last Online

10.22.19 @ 11:45 AM
    Liked 4,215 Times in 2,683 Posts

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by Ashe View Post

Do fans just have a subconscious feeling, "I've heard all I need to hear. I don't need anything new."

Is it because of a long gap between album releases?

Maybe a band has broken up and after many years, decides to get back together. When this happens, fans usually have but the band's work "under glass"--nothing else is allowed to get out. "Nothing is going to top what I've already heard from this band."

Can a band/musician avoid the transition?

I'm very fascinated by this. What makes a person say, "Ok, I only want to hear the hits from this band from now on."

In Van Halen's case, I think this happened after Sammy left.
    Very few bands can avoid that transition from relevancy to nostalgia.

It's a history thing. Generational. The music you come of age with, is the stuff you want to hear no matter how great or incisive new music from the same artist is. Rush might be a slight exception, their audience definitely wants to hear the new stuff, but they're an anomaly, I think. But even they can't escape the hits requirement. They have to play Tom Sawyer even if they don't want to.

In Van Halen's case, one could argue strongly that the last album that has anything on it that VH would 'have' to play in a two hour set, presuming either singer was fronting, was probably FUCK. Sam probably has to sing at least a couple from that album. But could skip anything off Balance, and probably only needs to sing WIL from OU812. Dave, well he's gotta sing a few from the debut and a few from '84, and a couple from II, but for the nostalgia contingents, could easily skip WACF, FW, and DD and they probably wouldn't even notice.

So for VH...if Dave sticks to VH1 and '84, and Sam sticks to 5150 and FUCK, they're basically covered for the casual fans. Those are the albums that are, for better or worse, 'under glass' for history. It's a shame, too, sigh. So much of the best VH lies out of reach of the mainstream.

Favorite VH Album

In the mood for OU812
    Favorite VH Song

"Mean Street"
    Last Online

11.05.19 @ 09:13 PM
    Liked 312 Times in 208 Posts

Yes much so. That is why Iron Maiden is my favorite band. They continue to create epic, progressive invigorating intelligent music. Love 2000's Maiden!

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk
    VAN HALEN
    7-7-15 Ridgefield, WA
    12-1-07 Portland, OR
    10-22-04 Seattle, WA
    10-19-04 Portland, OR
    8-13-04 Oakland, CA
    8-11-04 Sacramento, CA
    8-10-04 San Jose, CA
    8-7-04 Las Vegas, NV
    8-6-04 Las Vegas, NV
    7-10-98 Portland, OR
    9-15-95 Portland, OR
    8-18-93 Portland, OR

Sammy Hagar
    5-8-15 Lake Tahoe, NV
    5-2-08 Lake Tahoe, NV (w/ Michael Anthony)
    4-30-05 Lake Tahoe, NV (w/ Michael Anthony)
    4-29-05 Lake Tahoe, NV (w/ Michael Anthony)
    6-29-02 Gorge, WA
    10-13-99 Cabo San Lucas, BCS, Mexico
    10-12-99 Cabo San Lucas, BCS, Mexico
    10-9-99 Cabo San Lucas, BCS, Mexico
    7-10-99 Portland, OR
    8-15-97 Eugene, OR

David Lee Roth
    8-19-05 Eugene, OR
    6-28-03 Tacoma, WA
    6-17-03 Portland, OR
    6-29-02 Gorge, WA
    9-2-01 Seattle, WA

Chickenfoot
    6-3-12 Portland, OR

Last Online

10.15.19 @ 12:29 PM
    Liked 29 Times in 19 Posts

I'd love new music but would take scraps from the past, if that means new releases. Maybe a collection of B side type stuff, tracks cut from albums or alternate takes. I'm also a Mellencamp fan and love that he puts out new stuff but his last album was mostly already released stuff loosely tied to the theme of Others Peoples Stuff. Some fans don't like it but I love it. I'd love to see VH do something like that.

Favorite VH Album

Alex, Dave, Ed and Mike
    Favorite VH Song

The songs with Ed on them
    Last Online

12.08.19 @ 07:18 PM
    Liked 26,907 Times in 13,577 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Ashe View Post
    Maybe once they stop creating and simply tour on prior accomplishments, that could be a good barometer. Of their last four major tours (2004, 2007/08, 2012 and 2015), only on one of them were they supporting new material.
    If I don't respond to you it means I have you on ignore, which means you are a douchenozzle.

Emperor Brett - "I can't believe you guys are analyzing song-by-song Van Halen III? What next, analyzing the script of Stroker Ace looking for some shred of Citizen Kane?"

David Lee Roth did the impossible. He made Van Halen better. Deal with it!

A man's rights rests in three boxes: the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box

Hurricane Halen - Let's all gingery touch our sword tips!!!