Hang 'Em High
    Favorite VH Album

Depends on the Day of the Week
    Favorite VH Song

HAIL, D.O.A., TYWH
    Last Online

02.17.19 @ 01:38 PM
    Liked 1,912 Times in 1,145 Posts

I care nothing for new music. If something's that great, then I''ll get around to listening to it, maybe, later. There is still great music from the late 60's & 70's that I have not found the time to listen to yet. And that era means more to me because that was the time of my youth. So, if there's great music out there, from then, or from now, to take the time to find and enjoy, the nod goes to taking the effort to find undiscovered gems from music made back then.

And because I'm from way back when, I still can't get over how the concert industry has changed, the raping of my wallet with venue surcharges, I cannot get over that. So, even if a new band had some great music, paying those jacked service fees is not something I'd want to do.

As an example, for a ZZ TOP concert last year, the "Band's" fee on the ticket was around just $30, which is fair. But the added fees and venue charges almost doubled the price of the ticket. Doubled.
    "The VH Universe is built on a wall that separates CVH from SVH. Tell either side there's no wall, you've bought a war. Or a slaughter." Lt. Joshi - LAPD

Favorite VH Album

F.U.C.K. 1984
    Favorite VH Song

Feels So Good (deal with it...
    Last Online

02.14.19 @ 07:47 AM
    Liked 529 Times in 286 Posts

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by I Coulda Hada VH View Post
    Bocelli is my wife's favorite singer and this is her all-time favorite song …

My all-time favourite song, as well. Stops me in my tracks every time.
    Signature not currently available. You aren't missing much.

3. The Following 2 Members Like This Post:

Romeo Delight
    Last Online

01.28.19 @ 06:13 AM
    Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts

If you really like the artist, and the music is really good, it can stand shoulder to shoulder with their past work.

Since the heritage rock resuscitation started back in the late 90s, I have bought all the new releases from my favorite bands. Many are completely forgettable, but some, to my tastes, are just as strong as their earlier releases. Among them, Judas Priest’s “Firepower” and “Angel of Retribution”; Iron Maiden’s “Dance of Death”; Cheap Trick’s “Rockford” and yes, Van Halen’s “A Different Kind if Truth”.

Humorous aside: The other day, I was kidding around with my wife and some friends saying how I still somehow view VH and other bands I love as contemporary artists! Just last week, some early twenty-somethings I know through work we’re discussing their music and I ridiculously chimed in, “So what do you guys think of all these new Van Halen rumors?” They uncomfortably laughed...mission accomplished...

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Mean Street
    Last Online

02.15.19 @ 01:16 PM
    Liked 1,232 Times in 699 Posts

Premium Member

I like finding new music that I really like, and I like when old bands continue their output despite the collapse of the old music industry. With Van Halen, at least at this point, I don't put a lot of emotion into it. I would like to hear new music, but I don't care if they just continue as a nostalgia live act. I don't mind hearing re-treads of old tunes either. Whatever. If any other band did an ADKOT album, their fans would be celebrating. But I think VH's hem-hawing and general bullshitting about their direction deranges their fans. And probably rightly so. I'm just over it at this point.

As VS says at the beginning of this thread, finding good music is more of a project these days. You gotta go look for it. And there's a lot of crap to sift through to get to it. Definitely a first-world problem that doesn't bother me that much.

TK

Favorite VH Album

Women and Children First
    Favorite VH Song

Everybody Wants Some!!
    Last Online

02.15.19 @ 01:14 PM
    Liked 1,394 Times in 851 Posts

Premium Member

New music is vital to me.

Some of the stuff I grew up on I still listen to regularly (VH, Zeppelin, Who, Rush,...). Other stuff, I outgrew (Kiss, Styx, REO, Skynard,....)

As much as I love some of the new music I hear, I don't think it will ever again have the impact on me like the music I immersed myself with in high school. Still, I'm chasing that next high from a great song that I haven't heard before.

Last Online

02.12.19 @ 10:08 PM
    Liked 1,448 Times in 613 Posts

I personally have zero interest in going to see another rehashed greatest hits tour. I don't give a fuck about James Bond schedules or whatever. That whole act has grown tiresome. The secrecy, the disinformation, the cryptic bullshit. I understand from a business perspective, they will make nothing from new music. So I guess the only option is new music and tour. And that means new VAN HALEN music. Not promoting whatever Wolfgang's "album" is going to be. If that is their plan, and I really hope it's not, I'm out. If these guys are so fucking lazy that they consider Wolf's "Solo" album a viable product to tour behind, it's the final nail in the coffin for these guys.

So to answer the original question, Yes. No new music = no more $$$ from me. Not that they care, but whatever.

~E

8. The Following Member Likes This Post:

NDL

Favorite VH Album

fair warning/ 5150
    Favorite VH Song

happy trails/ dreams
    Last Online

02.17.19 @ 09:20 AM
    Liked 2,019 Times in 1,102 Posts

Premium Member

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by I Coulda Hada VH View Post
    1:00 am? What are you a milkman?
    MIB
    Utilize. Improvise. Adapt. Overcome.

I love coffee and sarcasm.

RJD \m/

Sig Pic courtesy of Greenpaw

Favorite VH Album

fair warning/ 5150
    Favorite VH Song

happy trails/ dreams
    Last Online

Premium Member

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by Ashe View Post
    I'm content with what they have released up to this point. If Van Halen releases new music, I'll gladly buy it and give it a listen.
    That's a given, but the connection I am talking about is missing. No way for it not to happen, imo.

RJD \m/

Favorite VH Album

fair warning/ 5150
    Favorite VH Song

happy trails/ dreams
    Last Online

Premium Member

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by The Rover View Post
    I care nothing for new music. If something's that great, then I''ll get around to listening to it, maybe, later. There is still great music from the late 60's & 70's that I have not found the time to listen to yet. And that era means more to me because that was the time of my youth. So, if there's great music out there, from then, or from now, to take the time to find and enjoy, the nod goes to taking the effort to find undiscovered gems from music made back then.

And because I'm from way back when, I still can't get over how the concert industry has changed, the raping of my wallet with venue surcharges, I cannot get over that. So, even if a new band had some great music, paying those jacked service fees is not something I'd want to do.

As an example, for a ZZ TOP concert last year, the "Band's" fee on the ticket was around just $30, which is fair. But the added fees and venue charges almost doubled the price of the ticket. Doubled.
    This is me.

We're neighbors on the street of dreams.

RJD \m/

Favorite VH Album

fair warning/ 5150
    Favorite VH Song

happy trails/ dreams
    Last Online

Premium Member

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by pickslide View Post
    I like finding new music that I really like, and I like when old bands continue their output despite the collapse of the old music industry. With Van Halen, at least at this point, I don't put a lot of emotion into it. I would like to hear new music, but I don't care if they just continue as a nostalgia live act. I don't mind hearing re-treads of old tunes either. Whatever. If any other band did an ADKOT album, their fans would be celebrating. But I think VH's hem-hawing and general bullshitting about their direction deranges their fans. And probably rightly so. I'm just over it at this point.

As VS says at the beginning of this thread, finding good music is more of a project these days. You gotta go look for it. And there's a lot of crap to sift through to get to it. Definitely a first-world problem that doesn't bother me that much.

TK
    Good points TK.

Can I call you TK?

The reworked demos didn't bother me either. And I had heard some of the originals.

I think my problem/dilemma, whatever, is that I really don't care to experience any new music from artist that came out in the last two decades, much less from artists that I come of age with. The difference is, that if a artist/band I grew up with, puts out new music, I will buy it and put it in heavy rotation. I may even like it, ( I like ADKOT) but in time, I won't "reach" for it like I will for albums/songs that are like a favorite blanket. I think I realized this when I signed up for Pandora several years back, and proceeded to "build" my stations.

RJD \m/

Favorite VH Album

fair warning/ 5150
    Favorite VH Song

happy trails/ dreams
    Last Online

Premium Member

Donor

Sorry for wasting bandwidth, but I don't know, or can't remember how to do multi-quotes.

RJD \m/

Last Online

02.17.19 @ 09:52 AM
    Liked 119 Times in 69 Posts

For me it depends on the band. I thought VH had a lot more in the tank when they fell apart in the late Ď90s. I think ADKOT showed they could still bring it if they wanted. So I definitely want new material- whatever the lineup. But itís clear Edís more interested in replica guitars than being in a band, so Iím not holding my breath.

Little Dreamer
    Last Online

02.14.19 @ 06:04 PM
    Liked 10 Times in 6 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Nostalgia Act View Post
    Serious question.

How can music /songs made today, from bands from our youth have any kind of shelf life to you personally? Nothing Van Halen puts out today( Sam too, cool your tits) can ever have the impact that songs from the past have. When it's new, there is certainly a buzz about it, but over time, I always go back to my favorite blanket. My blanket is more than three decades old.
    It's kind of iffy how much impact new music can have on me personally. I listened to Bowie's "Blackstar" album yesterday for maybe the third time ever and very little stuck with me, even the few things I kinda liked. I heard a few songs from Paul McCartney's new album and wasn't impressed by any of them. I felt the same way about his 2014 album "New" which I listened to exactly once. I also got around to listening to Slash's new album this weekend and although I liked it, not a lot stood out. Aerosmith hasn't done an album with any songs I liked since 2001 and that was "Just Push Play" of all things. Haven't heard Sammy's new tune yet but I'll get to it tonight.

On the other hand, Sammy had some songs off "And Friends" and Chickenfoot that I listened to for a long time, along with the original "Knockdown Dragout." Ditto some of the songs of "Slash and Friends." I liked Pink Floyd's final album more than I care to admit, a lot more than David Gilmour's "On an Island." I prefer Weird Al's original songs and he usually has a few good ones on each album. I'll listen to any new music by Brian May and/or Roger Taylor whether or not they call it Queen. I know I'm in the minority, but I genuinely enjoyed the album with Paul Rodgers and listened to it many times. I still listen to the Rolling Stones' most recent original single "Doom and Gloom" more than anything else they've done in fifty years.

For me it's about a work ethic. David Bowie learned he was dying and basically realized - this is all my speculation by the way - that since being a rock star was what he was known for, he'd better make the best use of his time. Bam, suddenly he releases "The Next Day," then an EP of outtakes, then "Blackstar." The five years between "New" and "Egypt Station" are the longest Paul has gone without releasing new music since he was what, twenty? Sammy said not too long after "Chickenfoot III" that the album was dead and he probably wouldn't be doing more, but he did "And Friends," "Lite Roast" and the new one.

I have no patience for the EVH/Axl Rose approach to making music or art of any kind. If one album a decade is all you're capable of doing, ok, we all have limitations, but you'd better make sure your fans know you're doing an album this decade come hell or high water. Or do the Billy Joel thing and admit you don't have any more music to offer except performing your hits in concert. Elton John keeps saying he's done making new music and releases a new album a few years later.

Touring is obviously where the money is, but I can't think of a single musician I would prefer to see touring and not recording/releasing new music regularly. At least my bands are old and rich and don't have to do anything if they don't want. That's where the drive to make music, what got them old and rich, should still show up, at least in my opinion.

Good Enough
    Last Online

02.17.19 @ 01:54 PM
    Liked 2,678 Times in 1,263 Posts

I kind of look at it like this, Iíd much rather have a mint condition 69 Camaro SS or a 67 Shelby, but if someone wants to give me a brand new Shelby, Iím gonna drive the shit out of it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

17. The Following 2 Members Like This Post:

Last Online

02.17.19 @ 01:22 PM
    Liked 584 Times in 288 Posts

Yes, because there are still bands I enjoy that have the itch to scratch.

Judas Priest, for example.

- 2019 is their 45th anniversary as a band.
    - 2018 saw them release their best album since 1990.
    - The tour has (so far) contained 6 of the 14 tracks off the new album. You'd be hard pressed to find another band who has been around that long who is still putting out new music and playing more than 2, MAYBE 3 songs off their new album.

Motorhead (when they were still active) & Saxon are two other prime examples.

Things that were guaranteed.

- Death
    - Taxes
    - A new Motorhead & Saxon album every 2 years, without failure.