The First One
    Favorite VH Song

I'm The One
    Last Online

10.18.19 @ 09:14 AM
    Liked 24,465 Times in 13,903 Posts

Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by Van Squalen View Post
    Few things are going to resonate with you than the music you were listening to when you came of age. That's just how sentiment works. It hard-wires for a lifetime.

However, ADKOT suffered not because we're all not 17 anymore. ADKOT suffered because it just wasn't that good. Could Dave and Ed and Al and Mike work up a new record that resonates and stands the test of excellence to long term fans? It's of course a possibility. It's a long shot, but it's possible. But ADKOT wasn't it. That doesn't mean they don't have another stellar piece of art waiting to be birthed. It also doesn't mean we should expect Fair Warning 2.0.

Nobody went to the 2012 tour for the new music except us diehards, and we would've went without it anyway lol.
    Your first paragraph is dead on the money.

I still like ADKOT, but not as much as I did when it was released. It suffers from no Mike, poor production and too many songs.

A follow up to 1984 with the original lineup might not sell 1,000,000 copies, let alone 10,000,000, but I would love to hear one.
    "It's so lonely at the top because it's so crowded at the bottom" - Diamond David Lee Roth

"The truth sounds like hate to those who hate the truth" - Todd Wagner

"Women and Children First ... The REAL Van Halen III"

Favorite VH Album

The First One
    Favorite VH Song

I'm The One
    Last Online

Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by Nostalgia Act View Post
    Keep posting fellas, I have a 1:00am wake up tomorrow, so I’m signing off. Enjoying everyone’s takes. Check back tomorrow.
    1:00 am? What are you a milkman?
    "It's so lonely at the top because it's so crowded at the bottom" - Diamond David Lee Roth

Atomic Punk Get The Show On The Road's Avatar
    Favorite VH Album

Van Halen
    Favorite VH Song

I'm The One
    Last Online

10.18.19 @ 03:18 PM
    Liked 16,707 Times in 8,799 Posts

Premium Member

Keep posting fellas, I have a 1:00am wake up tomorrow, so Im signing off. Enjoying everyones takes. Check back tomorrow.
    Ouch!
    The only genre I really know is Van Halen.

Last Online

10.18.19 @ 03:00 PM
    Liked 4,203 Times in 2,671 Posts

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by I Coulda Hada VH View Post
    Your first paragraph is dead on the money.

I still like ADKOT, but not as much as I did when it was released. It suffers from no Mike, poor production and too many songs.

A follow up to 1984 with the original lineup might not sell 1,000,000 copies, let alone 10,000,000, but I would love to hear one.
    All of us would. Especially if Mike was back, playing and singing where he belongs. Who gives a fuck how much it sells. It'd be a 'do it for the fans' thing only at this point in time. Nobody buys albums anymore. If Ed wants to do it, he'd be doing it for us (and himself) and that's it. A new album, no matter how much it rocks, whether Dave or Sam is singing, whether Wolfie or Mike is playing, isn't going to put asses in seats. That ship sailed long ago.

Shit, I thought ADKOT was the fuckin' second coming when it first dropped. That's 'cause I hadn't heard anything remotely like it from Ed since HB/MWM. I still think Stay Frosty, if it'd been engineered properly and had Mike singing backing vox, could've been an all time classic Van Halen song.

5. The Following 2 Members Like This Post:

Favorite VH Album

VH, WACF, FW, 5150
    Favorite VH Song

Romeo Delight, Unchained, ITO
    Last Online

02.25.19 @ 08:09 AM
    Liked 148 Times in 92 Posts

I would love to hear some new music, if it included Mike on bass and background vocals. It is not the most important thing to me. I think the ship has sailed on new music, unfortunately. I would rather these guys hit the road and tour for as long as their bodies and mental health will allow. That window, I am afraid, is almost closed.

Favorite VH Album

The First One
    Favorite VH Song

I'm The One
    Last Online

Premium Member

All of us would. Especially if Mike was back, playing and singing where he belongs. Who gives a fuck how much it sells. It'd be a 'do it for the fans' thing only at this point in time. Nobody buys albums anymore. If Ed wants to do it, he'd be doing it for us (and himself) and that's it. A new album, no matter how much it rocks, whether Dave or Sam is singing, whether Wolfie or Mike is playing, isn't going to put asses in seats. That ship sailed long ago.

Shit, I thought ADKOT was the fuckin' second coming when it first dropped. That's 'cause I hadn't heard anything remotely like it from Ed since HB/MWM. I still think Stay Frosty, if it'd been engineered properly and had Mike singing backing vox, could've been an all time classic Van Halen song.
    Stay Frosty is a great tune, both lyrically and musically. Dave manages to reference Christianity, Judaism, Buddhism and Islam over an epic boogie reminiscent of Ice Cream Man.

8. The Following 4 Members Like This Post:

Favorite VH Album

VH, WACF, FW, 5150
    Favorite VH Song

Romeo Delight, Unchained, ITO
    Last Online

02.25.19 @ 08:09 AM
    Liked 148 Times in 92 Posts

Humans Being and Me Wise Magic are the last great things Ed wrote that we have heard. I agree that Mike could have helped to make Stay Frosty a VH classic. It was damn near there.

10. The Following Member Likes This Post:

NDL

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Me Wise Magic & Summer Nights
    Last Online

10.16.19 @ 11:19 PM
    Liked 340 Times in 190 Posts

Serious question.

How can music /songs made today, from bands from our youth have any kind of shelf life to you personally? Nothing Van Halen puts out today( Sam too, cool your tits) can ever have the impact that songs from the past have. When it's new, there is certainly a buzz about it, but over time, I always go back to my favorite blanket. My blanket is more than three decades old.
    I had to give pause before answering .

I love Van Halen, so certain songs like Summer Nights or Me Wise Magic I can play endlessly.

As for new music...I never listen to anything that's rock "like;" nothing can compare to the old standards.

Nothing.

Therefore, I have had to branch out. I am of Italian descent, so I do listen to a few Italian artists. I also listen to Country.

But as far as rock is concerned? Sans Halen, anything post 1986-7 has me grabbing for my favorite blanket.

Regarding Van Halen, would new music have any kind of shelf life? Depends.

The solo on Big River is one of my favorites of all time, but as Brett once said, a lot of Ed's playing sounds sterile. So while the album is flawless, it's not one that I often listen to.

If Ed was on the cam, hell yeah to new music; there's no reason why anything released today couldn't become tomorrow's classic. A lot of it depends upon where Ed is spiritually. Sorry...I love DLR, but the last tour displayed a group that lacked chemistry.
    Last edited by NDL; 01.27.19 at 05:48 PM.
    "If only Eddie, Alex and Wolfgang had as much enthusiasm about Van Halen as Dave, Sammy and Mike do " - I Coulda Hada VH

"I don't think he owes us, and I think few if any do. What we would like is for him to release music, since he is our favorite musician. It's a wish and a hope, not a critique." - Dave's Dreidel

Favorite VH Album

The First One
    Favorite VH Song

I'm The One
    Last Online

Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by NDL View Post
    I had to give pause before answering .

I love Van Halen, so certain songs like Summer Nights or Me Wise Magic I can play endlessly.

As for new music...I never listen to anything that's rock "like;" nothing can compare to the old standards.

Nothing.

Therefore, I have had to branch out. I am of Italian descent, so I do listen to a few Italian artists. I also listen to Country.

But as far as rock is concerned? Sans Halen, anything post 1986-7 has me grabbing for my favorite blanket.
    What about this Italian artist, who puts both Dave and Sammy to shame as a vocalist?

My wife and I are going to see him at the Hollywood Bowl this June for the 3rd time.

13. The Following Member Likes This Post:

NDL

Good Enough
    Last Online

10.17.19 @ 07:20 PM
    Liked 2,931 Times in 1,397 Posts

I still like ADKOT and I still listen to it, the challenge with it is I like some of the demo versions better
    I like the new songs in there, but they do suffer without Mike
    With that said though. We are talking new music, and Dave and Ed together have created some of the greatest songs in history, Im dying to hear what they can write now
    A sober Eddie having lived through addiction, cancer, divorce, remarriage, watching his son grow into a musician, theres a lot of heart to put into new music
    Dave, Japanese introspective, being a paramedic, having all sorts of life adventures, well Id love to have him put pen to paper
    Now Id prefer that Mikey be on there, but Id even take it with Wolf

I just want to see Ed and Dave flex their muscles again, theres still blood there

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

15. The Following 3 Members Like This Post:

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Me Wise Magic & Summer Nights
    Last Online

10.16.19 @ 11:19 PM
    Liked 340 Times in 190 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by I Coulda Hada VH View Post
    What about this Italian artist, who puts both Dave and Sammy to shame as a vocalist?

My wife and I are going to see him at the Hollywood Bowl this June for the 3rd time.
    Simply beautiful. I know that you'll both have an unforgettable evening
    "If only Eddie, Alex and Wolfgang had as much enthusiasm about Van Halen as Dave, Sammy and Mike do " - I Coulda Hada VH

"I don't think he owes us, and I think few if any do. What we would like is for him to release music, since he is our favorite musician. It's a wish and a hope, not a critique." - Dave's Dreidel

17. The Following 2 Members Like This Post:

Favorite VH Album

The First One
    Favorite VH Song

I'm The One
    Last Online

Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by NDL View Post
    Simply beautiful. I know that you'll both have an unforgettable evening
    Bocelli is my wife's favorite singer and this is her all-time favorite song …

19. The Following Member Likes This Post:

NDL

Favorite VH Album

WOMEN AND CHILDREN FIRST/ADKOT
    Favorite VH Song

EVERYBODY WANTS SOME!!
    Last Online

10.18.19 @ 03:20 PM
    Liked 13,813 Times in 7,513 Posts

Premium Member

ADKOT is still a great album. I would also like to hear Dave and Ed write brand new songs now. Nothing will ever top WACF or FW for me, but ADKOT still sticks with me.

21. The Following 3 Members Like This Post:

Good Enough
    Last Online

10.17.19 @ 07:08 PM
    Liked 449 Times in 211 Posts

I'm content with what they have released up to this point. If Van Halen releases new music, I'll gladly buy it and give it a listen.
    Leave everything to me!-Powdered Toast Man

Favorite VH Song

Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love
    Last Online

10.18.19 @ 02:14 AM
    Liked 2,496 Times in 1,533 Posts

I always like new music but the music of our own youth will resonate more.
    Remember the Heroes - 9/11/01

In 2012, the phoenix has risen!!

"High speed, low drag."

"Look at all the people here tonight!!!" - 10/5/07, 5/20/08 Mohegan Sun

Congratulations to Van Halen as part of the Class of 2007 Rock and Roll Hall of Fame!

Cinco de Cabo @ Foxwoods: "A giant party with live music" - S. Hagar

got tequila?

http://keepitaliveforever.com