Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register
Page 4 of 14 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast
Results 46 to 60 of 198
  1. #46
    Atomic Punk RRvh1's Avatar
    Join Date
    02.13.11
    Location
    Ontari-ari-ari-o!
    Posts
    20,085
    Favorite VH Album

    1984
    Favorite VH Song

    Panama
    Last Online

    06.26.19 @ 08:15 AM
    Likes
    7,771
    Liked 8,865 Times in 6,375 Posts


    Premium Member

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Team Edward View Post
    Man, I loved his purple Ernie Ball.
    I have the 'budget' version AX40D, with the exact same pickups that were in Eddie's EBMM models...

    IMG_20190113_151826.jpg
    "There's too many people on this basketball that's floating around the sun, who are too afraid to allow themselves to FEEL" - Edward Van Halen
    "Van Halen was never about the singer..." - A very wise fan.
    "Embrace the past. Live in the moment but keep your eyes on the future, and keep on moving forward..." - Richie Sambora

  2. The Following 2 Members Like This Post:


  3. #47
    Hang 'Em High
    Join Date
    10.28.12
    Location
    Mean Street
    Posts
    7,169
    Favorite VH Album

    Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

    Bottoms Up!
    Last Online

    06.25.19 @ 11:19 PM
    Likes
    4,975
    Liked 3,961 Times in 2,486 Posts

    Default

    After the success of the previous record I wasn't expecting a monster record with Balance.
    I figured it might be time for a let down.

    I was happy it turned out to be a good record. Aftershock, Deja Vu/ Feelin'....I really dug those.
    I liked the music in Amsterdam....but the chorus....
    Another rocker ruined by a crappy chorus.
    Baluchitherium was a cool jam....7th Seal was a good one.

    Some stuff I liked, some I didn't....all in all a good record.

  4. #48
    Atomic Punk Van Squalen's Avatar
    Join Date
    12.21.03
    Posts
    26,669
    Last Online

    06.26.19 @ 10:06 AM
    Likes
    0
    Liked 3,528 Times in 2,200 Posts


    Donor

    Default

    VH3 doesn't count as a real VH album. Neither does ADKOT.

    Taking out the live albums and the greatest hits LPs, VH had ten VH albums. No more, no less. For them to be true VH albums, they had to have: Ed, Al, Mike, and either Dave or Sammy.

    No substitutions.

  5. The Following Member Likes This Post:


  6. #49
    Good Enough Ian Sane's Avatar
    Join Date
    11.24.01
    Age
    45
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    2,543
    Favorite VH Album

    Van Halen/Fair Warning
    Last Online

    06.26.19 @ 03:41 AM
    Likes
    96
    Liked 247 Times in 143 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Van Squalen View Post
    VH3 doesn't count as a real VH album. Neither does ADKOT.

    Taking out the live albums and the greatest hits LPs, VH had ten VH albums. No more, no less. For them to be true VH albums, they had to have: Ed, Al, Mike, and either Dave or Sammy.

    No substitutions.
    Nah, I still count ADKOT as a true VH album.
    That's coming from someone who hates the whole Wolf in place of Mike thing.
    I still have no time for Wolf in VH. Never respected it and never will.
    But ADKOT is still a decent Van Halen album. Of course it would have been better if Mike was there.

    VH III is a steaming pile of dog shit.
    “And what we have at our fingertips is arguably one of the greatest high tenor voices ever – that was in Michael Anthony. In our tiny little corner of the universe, that voice is as identifiable as the high voice in Earth, Wind & Fire, as identifiable as the high voice in the Beach Boys. Van Halen is an indelicate house blend of both – that’s intentionally. So I would always look forward to that reunion.” - David Lee Roth

  7. #50
    Atomic Punk Van Squalen's Avatar
    Join Date
    12.21.03
    Posts
    26,669
    Last Online

    06.26.19 @ 10:06 AM
    Likes
    0
    Liked 3,528 Times in 2,200 Posts


    Donor

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ian Sane View Post
    Nah, I still count ADKOT as a true VH album.
    That's coming from someone who hates the whole Wolf in place of Mike thing.
    I still have no time for Wolf in VH. Never respected it and never will.
    But ADKOT is still a decent Van Halen album. Of course it would have been better if Mike was there.

    VH III is a steaming pile of dog shit.
    I don’t. No Mike, no true VH. That’s an essential part of why VH3 and the BOBW songs suck too.

  8. The Following Member Likes This Post:


  9. #51
    Good Enough
    Join Date
    03.24.00
    Location
    Jupiter
    Posts
    1,526
    Last Online

    06.23.19 @ 09:13 PM
    Likes
    0
    Liked 424 Times in 199 Posts

    Default

    I'm sure there are many fans that have different definitions of what "true Van Halen" is.

    All four original members.

    Sammy or Dave, Eddie, Alex, Mike

    As long as Eddie and Alex are still in the bad.

    As long as Eddie is still in the band.

    As long as there is a member named Van Halen still in the band.

    As long as it says Van Halen on the album, ticket, etc.

    Dave, Eddie, Alex, Mark

    I'm sure there are more combinations. Throughout the history of the band, it has always been at least 75% original members. Not the same ones, but still 75%. Its interesting to think about.

    This band is so messed up. LOL
    Leave everything to me!-Powdered Toast Man

  10. The Following Member Likes This Post:


  11. #52
    Good Enough wombattt's Avatar
    Join Date
    06.12.04
    Posts
    2,479
    Favorite VH Album

    Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

    Constantly Changes
    Last Online

    06.26.19 @ 04:57 AM
    Likes
    582
    Liked 801 Times in 454 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Van Squalen View Post
    I don’t. No Mike, no true VH. That’s an essential part of why VH3 and the BOBW songs suck too.
    Really?


    Your saying that the reason these Van Halen releases suck is because the bass player and the backing vocals?!?!?!

    Not the half-baked song ideas or the beyond stubborn guitar player who was more angry and drunk than creative?

    Um....ok.
    "Always hopeful, yet discontent,
    He knows changes aren't permanent
    But change is!"

  12. The Following Member Likes This Post:


  13. #53
    Atomic Punk Van Squalen's Avatar
    Join Date
    12.21.03
    Posts
    26,669
    Last Online

    06.26.19 @ 10:06 AM
    Likes
    0
    Liked 3,528 Times in 2,200 Posts


    Donor

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by wombattt View Post
    Really?


    Your saying that the reason these Van Halen releases suck is because the bass player and the backing vocals?!?!?!

    Not the half-baked song ideas or the beyond stubborn guitar player who was more angry and drunk than creative?

    Um....ok.
    I said it was an essential component of why they suck. Not the only component.

  14. #54
    Atomic Punk Bad to the Bone's Avatar
    Join Date
    03.04.02
    Age
    46
    Location
    Detroit MI
    Posts
    9,606
    Favorite VH Album

    FUCK or 5150
    Favorite VH Song

    Mine All Mine, 5150
    Last Online

    06.26.19 @ 03:50 AM
    Likes
    1,439
    Liked 2,259 Times in 1,342 Posts

    Default

    got some time to kill so figured I'd expand on somethings i said earlier.

    First, I do like the production, it's very clean and clear but it's almost too clean for me, I prefer the production on FUCK, just my personal preference.

    I like the Japanese album cover better than the US version.

    I love the Seventh Seal, I just think it's a great, great song. I almost think it would have been a better first single to send out to radio stations, it's just got a cool vibe to it, when it kicks in it's plain old awesome.

    I can't honestly say I hate CSLY but I get why others do. It was something Fairburn wanted them to do and considering that, I don't think it's that bad. There's a spot after the solo where Al is just playing what seem like random noties and sam is singing with the guitar very low in the mix but Ed and Mike's harmonies are in full effect and it's really, really a cool little bit in the song.


    I think the guitar at the start of DTM sounds mean as hell. I know it's not technically anything that is hard to play but it just sounds mean as hell. I love how it's just guitar then the drums come in and I think the bass and vocals come in at almost the same point and it's very cool to hear how the band fleshes out the sound. I do like the song but it's the first VH song I remember listening to and thinking it sounded just forced. Like they were trying to write something really deep....is it deep? I don't know, I like some of the lyrical imagery that come to mind during some of it but again, it seems forced. I like the second solo better than the first. I love the end with the "hey, hey hey". good song, not great.

    Love Amsterdam, always did. Never had an issue with the wham bam stuff, it sounds cool during the song so it's cool to me. Love Ed's solo and I love the "yeah, yeah, yeah" harmonies, I loved how they extended it in concert. I love the video too. too bad it causes do much strife cause I still love it but still have that in the back of my mind.

    don't mind BFM, I already talked about it a bit. I don't skip it but I don't go looking for it either. It's a cool boogie song, I like the lyrics but I get why people don't like the song.

    Love aftershock. Great song. Everyone is great on it. Love the outro. they used to say Sam's voice was like an instrument and this is a great example of that.

    strung out is the biggest waste of space ever on any VH product ever.

    I'm a fan of not enough. I get why others aren't. I think it's awesome for what it is, I loved the video when it was released. solo and vocals (lead and backing) are pure f'n gold.

    doin time and baluctherium (sp), didn't ike them for years, like them alot now. I love the part of the song that is just stomping...it's very, very cool.

    TMB-awesome. paints a great picture and I honestly loved this song the first time I heard it.

    Feelin'.....ug. very forced IMHO, try's to be deep but it just comes off bad to me. Sam can write cool stuff for something like this (like Karma Wheel, Returning of the Wish and Future in the Past) so I think that's why aside from the guitar solo I never listen to this song anymore...I wish they would have made a song out of the riff Ed plays leading into the solo, that's just bad ass.

    Crossing over is fantastic. f'n epic.

  15. The Following Member Likes This Post:


  16. #55
    Sinner's Swing! mikehunt5150's Avatar
    Join Date
    08.19.10
    Location
    baltimore
    Posts
    3,093
    Favorite VH Album

    all
    Favorite VH Song

    simple rhyme
    Last Online

    06.20.19 @ 02:57 AM
    Likes
    7,069
    Liked 1,335 Times in 590 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Bad to the Bone View Post
    got some time to kill so figured I'd expand on somethings i said earlier.

    First, I do like the production, it's very clean and clear but it's almost too clean for me, I prefer the production on FUCK, just my personal preference.

    I like the Japanese album cover better than the US version.

    I love the Seventh Seal, I just think it's a great, great song. I almost think it would have been a better first single to send out to radio stations, it's just got a cool vibe to it, when it kicks in it's plain old awesome.

    I can't honestly say I hate CSLY but I get why others do. It was something Fairburn wanted them to do and considering that, I don't think it's that bad. There's a spot after the solo where Al is just playing what seem like random noties and sam is singing with the guitar very low in the mix but Ed and Mike's harmonies are in full effect and it's really, really a cool little bit in the song.


    I think the guitar at the start of DTM sounds mean as hell. I know it's not technically anything that is hard to play but it just sounds mean as hell. I love how it's just guitar then the drums come in and I think the bass and vocals come in at almost the same point and it's very cool to hear how the band fleshes out the sound. I do like the song but it's the first VH song I remember listening to and thinking it sounded just forced. Like they were trying to write something really deep....is it deep? I don't know, I like some of the lyrical imagery that come to mind during some of it but again, it seems forced. I like the second solo better than the first. I love the end with the "hey, hey hey". good song, not great.

    Love Amsterdam, always did. Never had an issue with the wham bam stuff, it sounds cool during the song so it's cool to me. Love Ed's solo and I love the "yeah, yeah, yeah" harmonies, I loved how they extended it in concert. I love the video too. too bad it causes do much strife cause I still love it but still have that in the back of my mind.

    don't mind BFM, I already talked about it a bit. I don't skip it but I don't go looking for it either. It's a cool boogie song, I like the lyrics but I get why people don't like the song.

    Love aftershock. Great song. Everyone is great on it. Love the outro. they used to say Sam's voice was like an instrument and this is a great example of that.

    strung out is the biggest waste of space ever on any VH product ever.

    I'm a fan of not enough. I get why others aren't. I think it's awesome for what it is, I loved the video when it was released. solo and vocals (lead and backing) are pure f'n gold.

    doin time and baluctherium (sp), didn't ike them for years, like them alot now. I love the part of the song that is just stomping...it's very, very cool.

    TMB-awesome. paints a great picture and I honestly loved this song the first time I heard it.

    Feelin'.....ug. very forced IMHO, try's to be deep but it just comes off bad to me. Sam can write cool stuff for something like this (like Karma Wheel, Returning of the Wish and Future in the Past) so I think that's why aside from the guitar solo I never listen to this song anymore...I wish they would have made a song out of the riff Ed plays leading into the solo, that's just bad ass.

    Crossing over is fantastic. f'n epic.
    When I was DJing Weddings a week after Balance came out I played Not Enough at 2 weddings in the same weekend. The response was awesome from people coming up to me asking if that was New =VH= or who it was ? Just a Good song and a Great Album..

    GET READY TO GET READY...
    WHAT IS UNDERSTOOD NEED NOT BE DISCUSSED

  17. #56
    Eruption Railrunner130's Avatar
    Join Date
    04.08.06
    Posts
    1,477
    Favorite VH Album

    Balance
    Last Online

    06.25.19 @ 05:05 PM
    Likes
    309
    Liked 257 Times in 154 Posts

    Default

    I watched two of the videos listed elsewhere in this thread. Did you notice that they were all happy and joking around with each other? And then, the most recent (actually ancient now) interviews etc. there is none of that. Something happened. Perhaps it was Eddies issues, who knows.

  18. #57
    Atomic Punk RRvh1's Avatar
    Join Date
    02.13.11
    Location
    Ontari-ari-ari-o!
    Posts
    20,085
    Favorite VH Album

    1984
    Favorite VH Song

    Panama
    Last Online

    06.26.19 @ 08:15 AM
    Likes
    7,771
    Liked 8,865 Times in 6,375 Posts


    Premium Member

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Bad to the Bone View Post
    got some time to kill so figured I'd expand on somethings i said earlier.

    First, I do like the production, it's very clean and clear but it's almost too clean for me, I prefer the production on FUCK, just my personal preference.

    I like the Japanese album cover better than the US version.

    I love the Seventh Seal, I just think it's a great, great song. I almost think it would have been a better first single to send out to radio stations, it's just got a cool vibe to it, when it kicks in it's plain old awesome.

    I can't honestly say I hate CSLY but I get why others do. It was something Fairburn wanted them to do and considering that, I don't think it's that bad. There's a spot after the solo where Al is just playing what seem like random noties and sam is singing with the guitar very low in the mix but Ed and Mike's harmonies are in full effect and it's really, really a cool little bit in the song.


    I think the guitar at the start of DTM sounds mean as hell. I know it's not technically anything that is hard to play but it just sounds mean as hell. I love how it's just guitar then the drums come in and I think the bass and vocals come in at almost the same point and it's very cool to hear how the band fleshes out the sound. I do like the song but it's the first VH song I remember listening to and thinking it sounded just forced. Like they were trying to write something really deep....is it deep? I don't know, I like some of the lyrical imagery that come to mind during some of it but again, it seems forced. I like the second solo better than the first. I love the end with the "hey, hey hey". good song, not great.

    Love Amsterdam, always did. Never had an issue with the wham bam stuff, it sounds cool during the song so it's cool to me. Love Ed's solo and I love the "yeah, yeah, yeah" harmonies, I loved how they extended it in concert. I love the video too. too bad it causes do much strife cause I still love it but still have that in the back of my mind.

    don't mind BFM, I already talked about it a bit. I don't skip it but I don't go looking for it either. It's a cool boogie song, I like the lyrics but I get why people don't like the song.

    Love aftershock. Great song. Everyone is great on it. Love the outro. they used to say Sam's voice was like an instrument and this is a great example of that.

    strung out is the biggest waste of space ever on any VH product ever.

    I'm a fan of not enough. I get why others aren't. I think it's awesome for what it is, I loved the video when it was released. solo and vocals (lead and backing) are pure f'n gold.

    doin time and baluctherium (sp), didn't ike them for years, like them alot now. I love the part of the song that is just stomping...it's very, very cool.

    TMB-awesome. paints a great picture and I honestly loved this song the first time I heard it.

    Feelin'.....ug. very forced IMHO, try's to be deep but it just comes off bad to me. Sam can write cool stuff for something like this (like Karma Wheel, Returning of the Wish and Future in the Past) so I think that's why aside from the guitar solo I never listen to this song anymore...I wish they would have made a song out of the riff Ed plays leading into the solo, that's just bad ass.

    Crossing over is fantastic. f'n epic.
    Interesting read. I agree with a lot of it/most of it, other than the remark about Strung Out...
    Doin'Time was and is the biggest waste of space on a VH album or cd IMO.

    Van Halen albums were almost expected to have the experimental pieces by Eddie. It was part of the package. Seeing as he was also known to play piano and keyboards, stuff like 1984 is cool to me. 'Intruder' was him f*cking around with a beer can and a guitar, right? Strung Out is him abusing a piano's innards, yet it works in conjunction with Not Enough. IMO.

    Doin' Time?
    "There's too many people on this basketball that's floating around the sun, who are too afraid to allow themselves to FEEL" - Edward Van Halen
    "Van Halen was never about the singer..." - A very wise fan.
    "Embrace the past. Live in the moment but keep your eyes on the future, and keep on moving forward..." - Richie Sambora

  19. The Following Member Likes This Post:


  20. #58
    Eruption bjk's Avatar
    Join Date
    04.18.05
    Posts
    892
    Last Online

    06.26.19 @ 09:45 AM
    Likes
    0
    Liked 153 Times in 84 Posts

    Default

    Aside from Doin’ Time & Strung Out, I love Balance. Really the last VH record as a functional band before the wheels came off. Production is killer- I love the way it “whomps” as Ed would say.

  21. The Following Member Likes This Post:


  22. #59
    Baluchitherium VH1988's Avatar
    Join Date
    08.07.07
    Location
    Chicago
    Posts
    4,603
    Favorite VH Album

    1986 - 1996
    Favorite VH Song

    5150, Cabo Wabo
    Last Online

    06.26.19 @ 04:58 AM
    Likes
    2,487
    Liked 1,490 Times in 1,009 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bjk View Post
    Aside from Doin’ Time & Strung Out, I love Balance. Really the last VH record as a functional band before the wheels came off. Production is killer- I love the way it “whomps” as Ed would say.
    It was the last great VH album where VH continued to evolve and create new.

    Where they were still relevant.
    Eddie Van Halen in 2012:

    "ESQ: What are you going to do with all the material that you wrote with Sammy Hagar?

    EVH: Oh, I hadn't thought about that. That's some great music. They're just on vacation, maybe. They're off to college and they're going their own way. Who knows?"

  23. The Following 2 Members Like This Post:


  24. #60
    Eruption bjk's Avatar
    Join Date
    04.18.05
    Posts
    892
    Last Online

    06.26.19 @ 09:45 AM
    Likes
    0
    Liked 153 Times in 84 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by VH1988 View Post
    It was the last great VH album where VH continued to evolve and create new. Where they were still relevant.
    Well, I’ll give VH3 credit as it was still evolving, I respect it as a piece of music, warts and all. Cherone just didn’t fit, that whole period was awkward. But at least Ed was DOING something, which has been been a rare occurrence ever since.

  25. The Following 2 Members Like This Post:


 

 

Similar Threads

  1. 20 Years since Balance
    By Bad to the Bone in forum Main VH Discussion
    Replies: 70
    Last Post: 06.29.16, 08:12 AM
  2. I'm shocked Balance was released 19 years ago
    By Bad to the Bone in forum Main VH Discussion
    Replies: 184
    Last Post: 02.08.14, 04:31 AM
  3. Almost 20 years since OU812 was released
    By Bad to the Bone in forum Main VH Discussion
    Replies: 143
    Last Post: 05.29.08, 09:16 PM
  4. 10 years of balance
    By Thai Boxer 9901 in forum VH Songs/Albums/Videos
    Replies: 33
    Last Post: 01.31.05, 08:25 AM
  5. Balance released 7 years ago today
    By Bob_R in forum VH Songs/Albums/Videos
    Replies: 29
    Last Post: 02.01.02, 04:33 PM

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •