all 7
    Favorite VH Song

ATBL & The Full Bug
    Last Online

08.18.19 @ 10:23 AM
    Liked 2,692 Times in 1,242 Posts

Default VH- Diver Down & 1982 Tour Thread

VAN HALEN- 1982 Diver Down Thread

This thread will be about VH in 1982 & include concert & album reviews & Magazine scans etc, etc...

Where were YOU in '82???

Here's Rolling Stone Magazine review of the album.

https://www.rollingstone.com/music/m...r-down-186849/

Rolling Stone
    HOME
    MUSIC
    ALBUM REVIEWS
    Diver Down
    PARKE PUTERBAUGH
    JUNE 10, 1982 4:00AM EST

Strip away the four cover versions, the three brief instrumentals and the minute-long goof on "Happy Trails" and Van Halen's fifth album, Diver Down, suddenly seems like a cogent case for consumer fraud. Van Halen, it appears, is running out of ideas: there's more excelsior here than in a shipment of glassware.

The LP kicks off with a cover of the Kinks' classic ode to better days, "Where Have All the Good Times Gone!," that lays bare singer David Lee Roth's shortcomings. He can uncork a robust assortment of kung-fu grunts, bobcat yells and salacious oooeee!'s and whoa now!'s, but he's no interpreter: here, as on the other remakes, he sings the words phonetically, as if he were reading them off of flashcards. After a so-so "(Oh) Pretty Woman," an utterly perfunctory "Dancing in the Street" and the dispensable novelty number "Big Bad Bill (Is Sweet William Now)," we're left with four original compositions including Eddie Van Halen's three guitar nocturnes).

Of these, only "Hang 'Em High" and "The Full Bug" are worth hyperventilating about. "Hang 'Em High" is a ferocious, hellbent-for-leather tune whose potent, if recycled, images of a motorcycle outlaw on the run conjure up Blue Oyster Cult (except there's no redeeming irony here). "The Full Bug," though, is 3:18 of the right stuff: a blur of guitar shrapnel and splintered drumsticks complementing Roth's tawdry lyric about giving some willing woman "the best part of a man."

There's a little Van Halen in everybody, these guys are fond of saying, but there's too little on Diver Down.
    Last edited by Heisenberg; 01.15.19 at 07:35 PM.

2. The Following 5 Members Like This Post:

Favorite VH Album

all 7
    Favorite VH Song

ATBL & The Full Bug
    Last Online

Here's a pic of VAN HALEN recieving GOLD Records of DIVER DOWN in VANCOUVER September 3 1982.

DIVER DOWN

GOLD GOLD GOLD

Millions of copies SOLD.

Millions.

4. The Following 4 Members Like This Post:

Favorite VH Album

all 7
    Favorite VH Song

ATBL & The Full Bug
    Last Online

6. The Following 5 Members Like This Post:

Last Online

08.19.19 @ 12:34 AM
    Liked 3,835 Times in 2,422 Posts

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by Heisenberg View Post
    VAN HALEN- 1982 Diver Down Thread

This thread will be about VH in 1982 & include concert & album reviews & Magazine scans etc, etc...

Where were YOU in '82???

I was at the forum in Inglewood in '82. My second Van Halen concert. We were about mid-arena, in the loge. I don't remember much other than Ed's solo and Little Guitars. I think they sang Happy Trails at the encore. I want to say they closed the first set with Bottoms Up, but I'd have to look it up to remember for sure. Maybe they closed with ATBL. I dunno.

8. The Following Member Likes This Post:

Favorite VH Album

All 7 with Dave
    Favorite VH Song

The one I'm listening to.
    Last Online

08.18.19 @ 01:46 PM
    Liked 2,367 Times in 542 Posts

Premium Member

Donor

Still love ya, Diver Down!

VHND.COM/DIVER-DOWN/

Last Online

08.16.19 @ 11:39 PM
    Liked 162 Times in 68 Posts

Saw two nights in a row of the Philly show at the Spectrum. Was fairly loaded the first night as usual, but I drove the second night so I'm not sure if I drank at all. It was the first time I realized that these were scripted shows, in that Dave's stories and shtick were identical both nights in a row. Still funny and entertaining as hell, and I guess in my prior concert going years I just figured that apart from the overall set list the shows were made up on the spot. Really didn't think about it prior to then, and this was in a word of mouth, rock magazine, pre-internet era, which by the way was a much better way to see a concert. Dave's long story was the same and the I'm going to f*** your girlfriend was the same. I have to say back then I was a little bit afraid of DLR, even watching from across the arena. He had a very commanding on-stage presence, and with his tough talk and karate moves I semi-believed he could kick someone's ass. LOL Being a guitarist, that second night I was also more focused on Ed's guitar playing and tone. He had a very twangy tone, still with a lot of sustain because the amps were likely still dimed, but I believe this was the period where it was determined afterward that his humbucker had a broken coil. No one knew any of this back then, we just thought he sounded great. Little Guitars was awesome, what can you say. Not knowing (at least the first night) that he was going to play the mini-Les Paul and then seeing that just bowled you over. The parking lot scene was awesome as well, and even at the rock shows nowadays that atmosphere isn't recreated. A thousand cars in your general vicinity, some aging musclecars, family cars borrowed for the night, and all of them tuned to either of the big Philly rock stations at the time WMMR or WYSP. It's just incredible hearing that many cars with their speakers pushed to the max, all blaring the same stations playing Feel Your Love Tonight, Everybody Wants Some, Jamie's Cryin', etc. Personally I loved Diver Down when it was released. It was Van Halen, more party music, and I don't recall anyone complaining about too many cover songs back then, among my 18 to 20 year old friends.

11. The Following 6 Members Like This Post:

Favorite VH Song

Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love
    Last Online

08.19.19 @ 12:45 AM
    Liked 2,434 Times in 1,496 Posts

This was all right before I became a fan. Curious to know what people thought when Diver Down was released.
    Remember the Heroes - 9/11/01

In 2012, the phoenix has risen!!

"High speed, low drag."

"Look at all the people here tonight!!!" - 10/5/07, 5/20/08 Mohegan Sun

Congratulations to Van Halen as part of the Class of 2007 Rock and Roll Hall of Fame!

Cinco de Cabo @ Foxwoods: "A giant party with live music" - S. Hagar

got tequila?

http://keepitaliveforever.com

Favorite VH Album

Alex, Dave, Ed and Mike
    Favorite VH Song

The songs with Ed on them
    Last Online

08.19.19 @ 02:49 AM
    Liked 25,999 Times in 13,119 Posts

Premium Member

My first concert. Largo 1982.

My first album. Christmas 1982.

Thanks big bro!!
    If I don't respond to you it means I have you on ignore, which means you are a douchenozzle.

Emperor Brett - "I can't believe you guys are analyzing song-by-song Van Halen III? What next, analyzing the script of Stroker Ace looking for some shred of Citizen Kane?"

David Lee Roth did the impossible. He made Van Halen better. Deal with it!

A man's rights rests in three boxes: the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box

Hurricane Halen - Let's all gingery touch our sword tips!!!

14. The Following 3 Members Like This Post:

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

HAIL & Unchained
    Last Online

06.10.19 @ 04:54 PM
    Liked 840 Times in 439 Posts

I saw them 3 times on the DD tour. I was a senior at the Univ of Tennessee and caught one of the early concerts in Knoxville in May (they started the tour in the South rather than the west like they usually did). I remember the sides of the stage were extremely high, and Ed, during a solo, raised his arm and hit the lights above him. I graduated and went back to Virginia to work. Caught them on back to back nights in October, first in Roanoke,VA, and then in Hampton,VA on halloween night, and what a rowdy crowd in Hampton. Great times! BTW, the sides of the stage were lower in October.

16. The Following 4 Members Like This Post:

Favorite VH Album

The First One
    Favorite VH Song

I'm The One
    Last Online

08.18.19 @ 06:59 PM
    Liked 23,981 Times in 13,632 Posts

Premium Member

I saw them on back-to-back nights at The Forum in Inglewood, CA in September of 1982. The 2nd night, my buddy and I bought a couple of tickets from a scalper in the parking lot for something like $35 each, which was a lot of money in 1982. Both shows were great. On the 2nd night, there were a couple of hotties in front of us with homemade t-shirts. One of them had Jamie's Cryin' printed on the back and the other had Little Guitars. Those were their favorite VH songs. Good times ...
    "It's so lonely at the top because it's so crowded at the bottom" - Diamond David Lee Roth

"The truth sounds like hate to those who hate the truth" - Todd Wagner

"Women and Children First ... The REAL Van Halen III"

18. The Following 4 Members Like This Post:

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen 1
    Favorite VH Song

Romeo Delight
    Last Online

05.19.19 @ 01:04 PM
    Liked 1,196 Times in 700 Posts

Live in front of my naked steaming eyes at the Cow Palace just 4 days shy of my 15th birthday and my 3rd VH concert up to that point . Don't get me wrong it was a great show but having seen the `80 and `81 tours this `82 DD show came in third place. I remember hearing Creams I'm So Glad over the PA waiting for VH to come on so it was a trip when VH played it in the middle of SGMAD

You may think I`m being mean but I`m really just being sarcastic

20. The Following 7 Members Like This Post:

Last Online

08.18.19 @ 11:09 AM
    Liked 3,347 Times in 1,763 Posts

Detroit Cobo 1
    Detroit Cobo 2
    Syracuse
    Toronto
    Montreal

All great shows... but Cobo in Detroit was always the best venue for VH... total nuthouse

22. The Following 6 Members Like This Post:

Last Online

08.19.19 @ 03:52 AM
    Liked 3,198 Times in 1,106 Posts

Premium Member

In 1982 I was walking around with a cassette player and headphones listening to Brad Gillis' solo from the Ozzy tour after Randy had passed away.

I loved that solo. The whammy bar noises. Loved it!

A friend comes up to me in the street and says you have to listen to THIS!

I impatiently lowered the volume and asked what is it?

He said...Ice Cream Man! You have to hear it!

I said that's ridiculous. WTF is that? I don't wanna hear anything called Ice Cream Man, man! You should hear this Brad Gillis solo!

He just reached down...popped out my Brad Gillis bootleg tape and popped in a shiny white brand new cassette.

I hit play and my eyes widened in astonishment at Eddie's ICM solo...!

Pure magic! Unbounded joy!

I had just missed the Diver Down tour, but watched the U.S. Festival in MTV in 83...

And was there at MSG in 1984 and snuck in that cassette recorder and recorded that concert and wore that tape out until LWAN was released with perfect video and sound!
    "Be willing to be a beginner every single morning.”

― Meister Eckhart

24. The Following 2 Members Like This Post:

Last Online

08.18.19 @ 03:44 PM
    Liked 227 Times in 107 Posts

Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Hausman View Post
    Still love ya, Diver Down!

VHND.COM/DIVER-DOWN/
    I'll second that! Here's my tribute written on its 30th anniversary.

http://www.vhtrading.com/topic/diver...ion#post-10652

Diver Down – An Appreciation
    by Dave

So Diver Down turns 30 today. I love this album. I admit that I’m biased. It was my first time hearing Van Halen, so it’s what got me hooked. When talking about David Lee Roth era Van Halen, most people are quick to put this at the bottom of the original 6 pack of albums. Not me. It’s one of my go-to albums. Why? It’s just fun. Fun!

First of all, before we talk about the music, let’s all admit the album’s marketing genius. To this day, if you like the album, all you have to do is go to a dive shop and get yourself a Diver Down flag, bumper sticker or shirt. No need to buy some rare tour shirt!

Now admittedly, most times you hear about Diver Down, you hear the complaints lobbed at it.

“It’s too short, barely over half an hour.” Got news for ya – so are the other 5 Roth albums. No one complains about Fair Warning being too short.

“There are too many covers.” Oh please. Did anyone really hear the original version of “Big Bad Bill (Is Sweet William Now)” first? Even “Where Have All The Good Times Gone!” isn’t that well known as a Kinks song. Besides, everybody & their brother were releasing cover albums in the 90’s. Van Halen was just ahead of their time. Plus, when Van Halen did a cover, they had the rare gift of making it their own without abandoning the spirit of the original. A good song is a good song! No one ever gave Frank Sinatra crap because he didn’t write his own material. That may be because everyone was scared of Frank & his “associates,” but I digress.

“There are a lot if instrumentals used as filler for songs.” Yes, and Eddie is playing them. Ain’t it great?!

“The album is a total cash grab since the band only did it because they had a hit single to follow up with.” You know what? I really don’t care why they made the album. Good music is good music. EVERY album is a cash grab. I don’t work for free, why should Van Halen?

“Ed doesn’t like the album.” Hey, that’s his problem, not mine. And these days, I really don’t think he hates it that much. When the band whips out songs from Diver Down on its latest tour, die hard fans go nuts. See the band on the right night and you’ll hear up to 4 songs from the album (maybe 5 if you think Ed is playing “Little Guitars (Intro)” in his solo).

Some years ago, a magazine did an article on the most underrated albums of all time. Diver Down was on the list. Why? Because if you don’t get Diver Down, then you don’t get David Lee Roth. And I agree. His stamp is all over the place. Things like wacky covers and him actually playing no less than guitar, harmonica & synth. The album is just fun to listen to. It’s what David Lee Roth is all about.

So the album starts off with “Secrets.” Yes you read that right. What’s that you say, I’m wrong? Listen again, that’s the end of “Secrets” played backwards that starts off the album, off before Ed goes full tilt into “Where Have All The Good Times Gone!” Yeah, I didn’t know that either until about a year ago. “Hang “em High” is just classic Van Halen with some nice vocals from Dave. Instrumentally it’s the same as its original demo “Last Night,” but you can hear how far the band had come since then. “Cathedral” – who else can make a guitar sound like a keyboard?! And then there’s “Secrets,” my favorite song off the album. It’s one of the best group efforts by the band. Dave actually sings. Heavenly background vocals abound (actually a lot of the album is a testament to the band’s vocal prowess). Mikey’s bass is actually audible & contributing something to the song. It’s the best hit single they never had. Find yourself the rare single mix with some keyboards mixed gently in the background for an added treat. Then off to “Intruder.” You know who the real star of this song is? It’s Alex. Yeah Ed gets some crazy gonzo sounds out of his guitar, but Al is the one who keeps the song flowing. Then right into “(Oh) Pretty Woman.” Van Halen rocked it like Roy Orbison never did. Even if they did forget part of the song.

Side 2 (remember when albums had those?) starts with “Dancing In The Street.” It’s pretty well known to fans that Ed had put one of his own synth riffs to the song in order to get everyone to agree to record it. But it works! To me it’s like one of the first mash-ups….except no one knew it. Then we get “Little Guitars (Intro)” and when you realize that Ed’s doing it without any overdubs – holy cow, that’s just cool. “Little Guitars” – that song is just another Van Halen classic. It just kills! Next up is “Big Bad Bill (Is Sweet William Now)” and really…can any other metal (yeah I said it, please don’t start a metal vs. hard rock fight) band pull this off besides Van Halen? Not like they can! A clarinet solo?? Sounds like I just left the Mos Eisley Cantina (and yes, Han shot first). And then The Full Bug. Originally I wasn’t too crazy about this song. A schoolmate of mine called it the “Hey we need one more song for the album” song. He might be right. But I’ve grown to appreciate it over the years. Not often you hear harmonica from Van Halen. And then a nice little conclusion of “Happy Trails.”

And hey…here’s a bonus: we got a great tour from this album, especially the South American leg. The band was on fire (pun intended)!

Is this album the best ever? No. Is it the best Van Halen album ever? No. But it doesn’t suck. Far from it. It just makes people happy. I know that’s what it does for me. And there’s nothing wrong with that.

Happy birthday Diver Down!

Favorite VH Album

fair warning/ 5150
    Favorite VH Song

happy trails/ dreams
    Last Online

08.18.19 @ 03:48 PM
    Liked 2,319 Times in 1,273 Posts

Premium Member

Donor

Rockford Metro Center was my show. About a two hour drive from my hometown. Filled the time driving up with weed, and mescaline. Frisbee and beer(and more weed) once we got to town. Best classic lineup show of the three tours I saw. Still one of my favorite concerts ever. Happy Trails became my way to say goodbye after that show. Not Fair Warning, but the shine hadn't wore off and Sheep was still a fuckin' wrecking ball of rock and roll.
    Utilize. Improvise. Adapt. Overcome.

I love coffee and sarcasm.

RJD \m/

Sig Pic courtesy of Greenpaw

27. The Following 4 Members Like This Post: