Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Last Online

01.14.19 @ 10:06 AM
    Liked 51 Times in 23 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by bsbll4 View Post
    It's hard to tell from the pics, but it looks like the smaller stripes are actually painted on instead of being tape?

You would think for 19k it would get you something that was actually accurate. For that amount of money I would want wood from the same tree that was used for the body and neck, a trem system with a serial number that identifies it being forged on the same day as Ed's, etc...

Oh, and it should come with a $16k rebate check enclosed in the case
    The pin stripes are actually tape and not painted on. However, they clear coated over the body so the tape won't come off. Ed didn't do that. So, it's already wrong.

2. The Following 2 Members Like This Post:

Favorite VH Album

II & WACF
    Favorite VH Song

HAIL & Simple Rhyme
    Last Online

04.23.19 @ 08:28 AM
    Liked 10,658 Times in 5,789 Posts

I wouldn't want tape on this guitar, because it WILL peel off.

what's the point of that?
    Graver, Walking Ed, refugee from CVH & proud tone chaser...

Last Online

04.22.19 @ 08:09 AM
    Liked 1,537 Times in 645 Posts

Strictly investment pieces that will never be played. Not even sure it would go up much in monetary value as they have zero historical value. There are much better investments you can make with $19,000 that will give you a greater return, but probably not as "cool" as a beat up Van Halen guitar.

When I was purchasing my Dodge Challenger last year, I came across an article where this rich guy bought the 85k Demon, and then had it delivered in a covered carrier to his home, and parked in his showroom garage to never ever be driven.

Live Life. You can't take shit with you.

~E

Atomic Punk Get The Show On The Road's Avatar
    Favorite VH Album

Van Halen
    Favorite VH Song

I'm The One
    Last Online

04.23.19 @ 06:18 PM
    Liked 15,071 Times in 7,923 Posts

Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by Brett View Post
    Minutiae dude.
    He was just trying to be like Metal Mulisha...
    The only genre I really know is Van Halen.

6. The Following Member Likes This Post:

Favorite VH Album

II & WACF
    Favorite VH Song

HAIL & Simple Rhyme
    Last Online

04.23.19 @ 08:28 AM
    Liked 10,658 Times in 5,789 Posts

It's so interesting to me that, for a guy who often celebrates his past with releasing relics
    and the striped series, even the Unchained & Star guitars, he refuses to revisit that era with actual
    music or live recordings from that time.
    He won't even bother touring for the 40th anniversary of the debut.
    Graver, Walking Ed, refugee from CVH & proud tone chaser...

Last Online

Quote Originally Posted by japeape View Post
    It's so interesting to me that, for a guy who often celebrates his past with releasing relics
    and the striped series, even the Unchained & Star guitars, he refuses to revisit that era with actual
    music or live recordings from that time.
    He isn't celebrating anything with these guitars other than getting paid from Fender.
    Anything officially released would only be streamed for the most part which equals very little money for the effort involved in cleaning them up.

It's all about money. Ed created his legacy over decades of recording and touring. He can now reap the profits and sit home with his dog at the same time.

I don't really blame him.

Ed probably nets 10-12k for each of these stupid guitars sold. Which probably pays his property taxes for a few months...
    Last edited by EJC; 01.08.19 at 10:13 AM.

9. The Following Member Likes This Post:

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Too many to list...
    Last Online

04.21.19 @ 04:34 AM
    Liked 342 Times in 180 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by EJC View Post
    He isn't celebrating anything with these guitars other than getting paid from Fender.
    Yep...he's just celebrating the royalty checks he gets from licensing/endorsing these things...

Sinner's Swing!
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

HAIL, DDL, Dirty Movies
    Last Online

04.23.19 @ 05:58 AM
    Liked 1,997 Times in 930 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by japeape View Post
    I cant work out why people are so bothered about them not "celebrating" their 40th anniversary... Did they celebrate their 30th or 20th or even their 10th????

Better get a decent supply of tissues for 2028...
    If you have nothing nice to say about Eddie Van Halen, you're at the right website. - Me (A few years ago)

"People take Van Halen much more seriously than we do" - David Lee Roth (1980's)

"I don't sit on the end of your bed while you're trying to make a living" - David Lee Roth (1988)

"For some reason people love to complain about everything. The internet has made it easy for people to do that. Shut the fuck up and get a life, or show me how good you can do it."- Edward Van Halen

"A lot of people ask me which Van Halen singer was better. You can't compare them. It's like asking which guitarist is better. Nobody is better than anybody. Every player is their own person."-Edward Van Halen

"I do like Eddie Van Halen as a player. He gets it right quite often." -Paul McCartney

12. The Following 2 Members Like This Post:

Favorite VH Album

Alex, Dave, Ed and Mike
    Favorite VH Song

The songs with Ed on them
    Last Online

04.23.19 @ 06:29 PM
    Liked 24,739 Times in 12,478 Posts

Premium Member

I don't think bothered is the word. Just a missed opportunity that most other older bands take advantage of.

Not VH's way though.
    If I don't respond to you it means I have you on ignore, which means you are a douchenozzle.

Emperor Brett - "I can't believe you guys are analyzing song-by-song Van Halen III? What next, analyzing the script of Stroker Ace looking for some shred of Citizen Kane?"

David Lee Roth did the impossible. He made Van Halen better. Deal with it!

A man's rights rests in three boxes: the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box

Hurricane Halen - Let's all gingery touch our sword tips!!!

Favorite VH Album

Balance
    Favorite VH Song

Aint Talkin Bout Love
    Last Online

04.23.19 @ 05:02 PM
    Liked 602 Times in 253 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by LeftyVanHalen View Post
    The pin stripes are actually tape and not painted on. However, they clear coated over the body so the tape won't come off. Ed didn't do that. So, it's already wrong.
    EVH did the same thing with the original Tour Relic guitars. All the checking in the body and peeling of the off white paint was not "felafel" to the hand because they had a clear coat over it too. When I was at Music Zoo last year I played one of them along with the 25K Franky. Again this is NOT what the real one would be like but like the 78 Relic, they are trying to protect the finish to keep it as accurate as possible. Actually very surprised they did not clear coat over the 5150 stickers on the EVH 5150 stripe series guitars too to protect the decals....

Rob

Favorite VH Album

Balance
    Favorite VH Song

Aint Talkin Bout Love
    Last Online

04.23.19 @ 05:02 PM
    Liked 602 Times in 253 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Get The Show On The Road View Post
    I've always wondered what I would think if I got to play the original Frankie.

Something tells me I'd think it was a piece of shit.

That guitar is so unique to Ed I bet it just plays like absolute shit for anyone else.
    I got to play this guitar at the Music Zoo last year and you know what...?? Great guitar and plays good. But my replica is EXACTLY the same wood, hardware, playability etc.... as a matter a fact my replica is more accurate to the original because on the original RWB 25K replicas they used Schaller tuners... the real one has gotoh crown head tuners and thats what I put on mine. Ed put crown heads on his original when he swapped the original neck out after 79

so moral of the story.... I'll take mine and save the cash lol....

16. The Following 2 Members Like This Post:

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Panama
    Last Online

04.23.19 @ 05:01 PM
    Liked 8,709 Times in 6,265 Posts

Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by 5150rob View Post
    EVH did the same thing with the original Tour Relic guitars. All the checking in the body and peeling of the off white paint was not "felafel" to the hand because they had a clear coat over it too. When I was at Music Zoo last year I played one of them along with the 25K Franky. Again this is NOT what the real one would be like but like the 78 Relic, they are trying to protect the finish to keep it as accurate as possible. Actually very surprised they did not clear coat over the 5150 stickers on the EVH 5150 stripe series guitars too to protect the decals....

Rob
    I thought the exact same thing about the 5150 guitar decals.
    "There's too many people on this basketball that's floating around the sun, who are too afraid to allow themselves to FEEL" - Edward Van Halen
    "Van Halen was never about the singer..." - A very wise fan.
    "Embrace the past. Live in the moment but keep your eyes on the future, and keep on moving forward..." - Richie Sambora

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen/ADKOT
    Favorite VH Song

Hot For Teacher
    Last Online

04.23.19 @ 01:14 PM
    Liked 3,520 Times in 1,740 Posts

Premium Member

If you pay 19k for a guitar I doubt you're taking it to gigs. It's an investment piece that you might plug in a couple of times to show off. I'm not sure clear coat is necessary when you're charging that much for a guitar that will never be played. Hell, for that price it should come in a glass display case.
    CNN may think my opinion matters, but you shouldn't.

Last Online

04.23.19 @ 06:27 PM
    Liked 143 Times in 80 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by bsbll4 View Post
    If you pay 19k for a guitar I doubt you're taking it to gigs. It's an investment piece that you might plug in a couple of times to show off. I'm not sure clear coat is necessary when you're charging that much for a guitar that will never be played. Hell, for that price it should come in a glass display case.
    So if it’s never gonna be played, and it’s basically for looking at, you could take a $100 Squier and make it look identical. It will look just as cool hanging on the wall and you’d save 20 grand. Or, like others have mentioned; build one using the same materials as the original that would play and look good for well under a grand.

Last Online

Quote Originally Posted by bjk View Post
    So if it’s never gonna be played, and it’s basically for looking at, you could take a $100 Squier and make it look identical. It will look just as cool hanging on the wall and you’d save 20 grand. Or, like others have mentioned; build one using the same materials as the original that would play and look good for well under a grand.
    I can only assume that someone with that sort of scratch to drop on a guitar is expecting that the guitar will go up in value since it's a limited production (30 pieces?)

Not an investment chance that I would ever take. I've seen a bunch of the red ones online at discounted prices awhile back.

Remember Ed used to stripe the Charvels, play for one song, and then auction them online. This is where he's at in life. Can't say I blame him, though it does come off as sorta greedy. Then again, if there were no buyers, they wouldn't make them.

I've personally sold most of my gear as I don't need that much for the occasional gig anymore. Just kept a Carvin 50/22/7w head, an Orange 112 cab, and a few pedals. 3 guitars. Even at that, I'll probably just go straight to the board through a fly rig in the future and make it even easier. The PA's have improved so much in quality that you can get a great mix from the stage monitors and it's almost like playing to backing tracks. But when I was more into it, I never paid more than $500 for a guitar, so most of this shit seems absurdly priced to me.

~E
    Last edited by EJC; 01.10.19 at 11:11 AM.

21. The Following Member Likes This Post: