Favorite VH Album

Van Halen
    Favorite VH Song

I'm the One
    Last Online

07.21.19 @ 08:13 AM
    Liked 1,657 Times in 889 Posts

Default Grainy 1080p - Crowley Crap!

I dug out my GoPro Hero 3 and did a test recording of the inbuilt mic - before I forked out for an external one - and was shocked to discover that though the inbuilt mic was good, the picture quality was terrible I checked the settings and they were set for top notch quality: 1080, 60fps and narrow FOV (to avoid the curved effect.

As it stands the quality is unusable. Here is a quick clip of me blowing off the rust with Jake E Lee's Mr Crowley from The Ultimate Ozzy. Just look at the 'noise' on the screen and dearth of definition.

Last edited by BlofeldsCat; 01.01.19 at 12:14 PM.

2. The Following 2 Members Like This Post:

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Panama
    Last Online

10.20.19 @ 01:26 PM
    Liked 9,109 Times in 6,551 Posts

Premium Member

Easy to see and hear that you certainly know your stuff!
    Would love to see you do the first solo as well.
    "There's too many people on this basketball that's floating around the sun, who are too afraid to allow themselves to FEEL" - Edward Van Halen
    "Van Halen was never about the singer..." - A very wise fan.
    "Embrace the past. Live in the moment but keep your eyes on the future, and keep on moving forward..." - Richie Sambora

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Album

Van Halen
    Favorite VH Song

I'm the One
    Last Online

On re-read, I didn't make myself too clear but for the avoidance of doubt I am wanting to know why my footage is not HD despite it being shot in HD and 60fps.
    Last edited by BlofeldsCat; 01.01.19 at 12:50 PM.

Last Online

10.20.19 @ 12:14 PM
    Liked 3,371 Times in 1,779 Posts

Video footage files can go through 3 stages.

First, you digitally capture them to the card memory of the camera at a certain quality.

But then when you import that file into software that can work with video, you have to make sure the import settings are set for the HD level you want it to be.

Then thirdly there is the exporting/encoding, where again, you choose the quality level you want to save to.

So its possible that footage shot in HD, later gets software imported OR exported at a lower quality level.

Depends what you need or want in the end. I use Premiere and Encore from Adobe... they give you a lot of freedom to play with things.

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Album

Van Halen
    Favorite VH Song

I'm the One
    Last Online

I'm not using any software. All I did was shoot on the GoPro (microSD) and then transfer the files to my laptop so I could watch, trim, upload to YT. At every one of these stages the footage is grainy. So confused

Last Online

10.20.19 @ 12:14 PM
    Liked 3,371 Times in 1,779 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by BlofeldsCat View Post
    I'm not using any software. All I did was shoot on the GoPro (microSD) and then transfer the files to my laptop so I could watch, trim, upload to YT. At every one of these stages the footage is grainy. So confused
    It must be importing at a lower quality for some reason.

Look for some YouTube videos on that camera/workflow just to double check the steps possible.

I use a DSLR, so its a little different.

Last Online

10.13.19 @ 01:06 PM
    Liked 1,398 Times in 821 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by BlofeldsCat View Post
    On re-read, I didn't make myself too clear but for the avoidance of doubt I am wanting to know why my footage is not HD despite it being shot in HD and 60fps.
    Hey man!
    I don't own a Hero 3, but have been working with a variety of DSLR filming, as well as a number "action" type cameras, and have experienced exactly your issue.

These cams are hungry for light!!!

This is actually pretty common on these types of cams. They do daytime outdoor environments very well as they have auto ISO and white balance, but indoors with less than optimal lighting, the ISO ramps up very high, hence the excessive noise in the picture....especially at 60fps.
    So providing very good lighting on the subject youre shooting is key.

So yes...it is shooting in HD, but the picture quality negates the expected results.
    A lot of this lies in the fact that a smaller lens inherently lets in less light than a larger one, and the 3 had not yet employed a cleaner ISO system to copen sate for less optimal lighting....much in the same way phones were prone to horrible low light quality not too long ago really.

Heres an example....Take my Lumix G4...with the smaller 18-55 F4 Sigma lens I use for gatherings, ...indoors, i often have to use quite a bit of additional lights, or sacrifice picture quality somewhat, and set the ISO at no less than 800 to 1600 to film at a decent brightness at 24 FPS! Swap in my Canon 50 F2 .5 ....even if i set the lens to F4, I can still shoot at 400 and often get a decent result because the front element is much larger. You could try 30 FPS.....this allows more "exposure" time on the sensor, and the ISO should auto adjust accordingly.

Hopefully this helps you a little.
    Take care man, and Happy New Year to all the Linkers!
    Last edited by we die young; 01.04.19 at 04:22 PM.

9. The Following Member Likes This Post:

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Panama
    Last Online

10.20.19 @ 01:26 PM
    Liked 9,109 Times in 6,551 Posts

Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by we die young View Post
    Hey man!
    I don't own a Hero 3, but have been working with a variety of DSLR filming, as well as a number "action" type cameras, and have experienced exactly your issue.

These cams are hungry for light!!!

This is actually pretty common on these types of cams. They do daytime outdoor environments very well as they have auto ISO and white balance, but indoors with less than optimal lighting, the ISO ramps up very high, hence the excessive noise in the picture....especially at 60fps.
    So providing very good lighting on the subject youre shooting is key.

So yes...it is shooting in HD, but the picture quality negates the expected results.
    A lot of this lies in the fact that a smaller lens inherently lets in less light than a larger one, and the 3 had not yet employed a cleaner ISO system to copen sate for less optimal lighting....much in the same way phones were prone to horrible low light quality not too long ago really.

Heres an example....Take my Lumix G4...with the smaller 18-55 F4 Sigma lens I use for gatherings, ...indoors, i often have to use quite a bit of additional lights, or sacrifice picture quality somewhat, and set the ISO at no less than 800 to 1600 to film at a decent brightness at 24 FPS! Swap in my Canon 50 F2 .5 ....even if i set the lens to F4, I can still shoot at 400 and often get a decent result because the front element is much larger. You could try 30 FPS.....this allows more "exposure" time on the sensor, and the ISO should auto adjust accordingly.

Hopefully this helps you a little.
    Take care man, and Happy New Year to all the Linkers!
    Happy New Year to you as well!
    You've always been so detailed/helpful in your written posts and videos. Much appreciated.
    "There's too many people on this basketball that's floating around the sun, who are too afraid to allow themselves to FEEL" - Edward Van Halen
    "Van Halen was never about the singer..." - A very wise fan.
    "Embrace the past. Live in the moment but keep your eyes on the future, and keep on moving forward..." - Richie Sambora