Register
Save
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Last Online

08.19.19 @ 11:38 AM
    Liked 3,837 Times in 2,423 Posts

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by Little Dreamer View Post
    Well if we are to believe some ppl, in St Louis or Detroit, Sam would dominate.
    Now here in LA, maybe Dave by default? In general VH enthusiasm is FAR from where it should be, considering the guys are from here.
    I don't believe for a second Sam Halen dominates over Dave Halen anywhere, including Sam friendly cities.

Nobody fuckin' cares. Big whoop, the radio stations play more old VH. At the arenas, and in the mainstream circles, there is no "dave vs. sam."

People just don't care. They're going to VH concerts more for 80's nostalgia and Eddie than they are Sam or Dave. Fact.

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Me Wise Magic & Summer Nights
    Last Online

08.15.19 @ 06:46 PM
    Liked 312 Times in 172 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by japeape View Post
    Sad but true.

We ARE the diehards, but all they care about is a demographic that happens to attend
    Classic Rock shows.
    A mass of faceless numbers, who know the hits and have the funds to bask in nostalgia.
    Exactly. That's why, according to Ed, concert goers were unfamiliar with BOBW or ADKOT tracks; the people in his line of sight weren't true fans; they're people with some money in their pockets.

True fans WERE ALL OVER the BOBW and ADKOT tracks, so why use fair weather fans as a justification as to why the band doesn't put out new material?

No...this is tragic; the careers and contributions of Hendrix and Rhodes were cut short, and had Bonham not died, I bet that Page would be recognized in a much greater way than he is. So here we are; three great guitarists, whose music was impacted by extraordinary events. In the case of Eddie Van Halen, who is as much a musical genius as was Mozart, history will look upon his life as what? An incredibly talented artist who, for all intents and purposes, stopped creating music for the masses at the age of 43.
    "If only Eddie, Alex and Wolfgang had as much enthusiasm about Van Halen as Dave, Sammy and Mike do " - I Coulda Hada VH

"I don't think he owes us, and I think few if any do. What we would like is for him to release music, since he is our favorite musician. It's a wish and a hope, not a critique." - Dave's Dreidel

Last Online

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by NDL View Post
    True fans WERE ALL OVER the BOBW and ADKOT tracks, so why use fair weather fans as a justification as to why the band doesn't put out new material?
    Er...because ticket buying mainstream fans outnumber 'true' diehard fans by about ten thousand to one.

People who knew of the existence of the BOBW and ADKOT tracks don't put the rent money in Ed's pocket. The nostalgia 80's hair metal casual fans do.

It's just bidness, plain and simp.

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen II
    Favorite VH Song

Light Up The Sky
    Last Online

08.19.19 @ 05:56 AM
    Liked 2,002 Times in 760 Posts

I own a restaurant near Boston.

Kitchen music is VERY important.

Kitchen crew is of all ages(20 to 50). Everyone LOVES The original six.

Sammy era is made fun of....a lot.

I like some Sammy stuff.

But, it's obvious that early stuff stands the test of time.
    "The less I needed, the better I felt." ~ Charles Bukowski.

Atomic Punk
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Bottoms Up!
    Last Online

07.14.19 @ 09:50 PM
    Liked 4,100 Times in 2,562 Posts

I'm sure there are some spots where one singer is more popular than the other, but for the most part it's all mute.
    Both singers of VH have their fans all over the country. Sam proved that.

Radio wise, it's probably 3-1. But when Sam was in the band, or when they were defunct, A lot more Sam stuff was being played.

6. The Following Member Likes This Post:

Good Enough
    Last Online

08.17.19 @ 10:56 PM
    Liked 433 Times in 205 Posts

I'm generalizing, but I've been living in Vancouver, Canada for the past 8 years, and I think the only Van Halen song most people know here is Jump. They don't know anything else--the albums, the songs, the lineup--nothing. The 2012 Vancouver show did not sell out. Honestly, I don't think Vancouver is a big market for rock, period.

On the other hand, I grew up in Dallas, Texas, and that was a MASSIVE market for Van Halen. David and Sammy were supported very, very well. In 1984, Eddie performed Beat It with Michael Jackson in Dallas at Texas Stadium. Everyone knows the 1991 free concert at the West End Marketplace. I even think Gary won over the Dallas crowd in 1998 at the Starplex, or whatever its called now. It'll always be the Starplex to me, ha ha.
    Leave everything to me!-Powdered Toast Man

Last Online

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by Ashe View Post
    I'm generalizing, but I've been living in Vancouver, Canada for the past 8 years, and I think the only Van Halen song most people know here is Jump.
    This is true for virtually all the world outside of the U.S., and a good portion of the U.S. itself, unfortunately.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Hear About It Later
    Last Online

08.19.19 @ 08:11 AM
    Liked 2,145 Times in 1,204 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Ashe View Post
    I'm generalizing, but I've been living in Vancouver, Canada for the past 8 years, and I think the only Van Halen song most people know here is Jump. They don't know anything else--the albums, the songs, the lineup--nothing. The 2012 Vancouver show did not sell out. Honestly, I don't think Vancouver is a big market for rock, period.

On the other hand, I grew up in Dallas, Texas, and that was a MASSIVE market for Van Halen. David and Sammy were supported very, very well. In 1984, Eddie performed Beat It with Michael Jackson in Dallas at Texas Stadium. Everyone knows the 1991 free concert at the West End Marketplace. I even think Gary won over the Dallas crowd in 1998 at the Starplex, or whatever its called now. It'll always be the Starplex to me, ha ha.
    Loverboy?
    Little Dreamer