Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Good Enough
    Last Online

03.25.19 @ 06:54 AM
    Liked 1,582 Times in 903 Posts

Default Cool toys for Christmas / Hanukkah?

An important question I used to ask people before we turned 18, but rarely have since: did anyone get anything COOL for Christmas/Hanukkah?

All I got was a $50 Amazon gift card from my aunt, which I will use to buy a 2TB external drive to backup my music and movie rips.

Other than that, I had to make my own Christmas. Guitar Center had dreadnought acoustic guitar cases on sale for $45 with shipping on Christmas Day, so I ordered one. I've had a Dean-Markley acoustic guitar pickup since the early `90's, but it's a single coil and tends to buzz a lot, so I also ordered one of their newer humbucker models, the Promag Grande, and two 3-packs of acoustic guitar strings from Musician's Friend.

There's a used Takamine classical/nylon string guitar on Facebook Marketplace I'm kinda jonesing for. But I'm always jonesing for guitars! Maybe I oughta stop?

How about everybody else? Anything particularly cool under your tree?

Favorite VH Album

Alex, Dave, Ed and Mike
    Favorite VH Song

The songs with Ed on them
    Last Online

03.25.19 @ 06:32 AM
    Liked 24,235 Times in 12,226 Posts

Premium Member

Clothes, shoes, and my wife bought me a Cigar Box Guitar kit. Looking forward to putting that together.

Edit: Oh, and a kick ass new coffee maker.
    Taylor Swift is nice to look at. Adele can sing.

Emperor Brett - "I can't believe you guys are analyzing song-by-song Van Halen III? What next, analyzing the script of Stroker Ace looking for some shred of Citizen Kane?"

David Lee Roth did the impossible. He made Van Halen better. Deal with it!

A man's rights rests in three boxes: the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box

Hurricane Halen - Let's all gingery touch our sword tips!!!

Favorite VH Album

diver down
    Favorite VH Song

drop dead legs
    Last Online

03.25.19 @ 04:57 AM
    Liked 3,375 Times in 2,056 Posts

Premium Member

I got to watch my 2 year old grandaugter open her gifts. Best gift I ever got.

Sent from my SM-S327VL using Tapatalk
    EVH 1979: Well, actually it's not much of a vacation, because we run everything ourselves. We design our own album cover, we have to be in the office every day to sign checks - the whole corporation revolves around us. Nothing can be done without our approval. We even have photo approval.

Favorite VH Album

fair warning/ 5150
    Favorite VH Song

happy trails/ dreams
    Last Online

03.21.19 @ 02:05 PM
    Liked 2,065 Times in 1,127 Posts

Premium Member

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by edwardv View Post
    I got to watch my 2 year old grandaugter open her gifts. Best gift I ever got.

Sent from my SM-S327VL using Tapatalk
    Utilize. Improvise. Adapt. Overcome.

I love coffee and sarcasm.

RJD \m/

Sig Pic courtesy of Greenpaw

Hang 'Em High
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Bottoms Up!
    Last Online

03.24.19 @ 11:38 PM
    Liked 3,223 Times in 2,067 Posts

Nothing cool this year.
    Birthday is in January so maybe they're saving the cool stuff for then.

Favorite VH Album

II & WACF
    Favorite VH Song

HAIL & Simple Rhyme
    Last Online

03.21.19 @ 11:48 PM
    Liked 10,478 Times in 5,699 Posts

Only ONE gift.

It used to be that i'd get bundles of presents, and the siblings & fam would each
    choose something for the other.

Then it became just one gift for one sibling, names drawn from a hat.

Then it became...fuck, the hat...we have our own kids...just gifts from the parents.

Then parents pass on and, for me, it became no gifts.

But i used to get great gifts from friends & a former gal pal.

My current GF flees to her parents home, and i don't even get a text!

My siblings do the same.

So at work, i opened my heart and told this wonderful female co-worker my sad xmas.
    Hey, she asked...

I come in, yesterday, and she said: There's something for you waiting in the employee lounge....

This woman...above & beyond....I was embarrassed but extremely touched.

I think i need a new GF!
    Graver, Walking Ed, refugee from CVH & proud tone chaser...

Favorite VH Album

II & WACF
    Favorite VH Song

HAIL & Simple Rhyme
    Last Online

To be fair, the upside is i can ignore them too, and not go in debt over the holidays.

My Novembers through Decembers, are non stop work.
    I pick up every shift, over time, do six days instead of four, and just bank.

For six years now, i think, i've not really celebrated the holiday.
    I've just worked, then taken the day off to veg for 24 hours, then back into it.

The downside is i always get sick right at the end, like right now.
    And i still have to work both New Year's Eve & New Year's day.
    Seven days straight, off on Wednesday.

Good Enough
    Last Online

I think these replies are what I needed. I had this vision of people opening 55" TV sets, or putting on virtual reality helmets and playing some awesome video game I've never even heard of. My Amazon gift card came in a nice little wrapped box. I put it under my little tree and thought, "Wow. This is where we're at now. One gift card." But now I know I guess I was on top of the world with my gift card!

Really probably the best gift I get is I still do paper Christmas cards, and I send them to the guys my Dad used to work with, and my Mom's childhood friend who's now about 80. I like getting something back from them and putting it on the mantle, and keeping the communication going even if my parents aren't around.

Favorite VH Album

fair warning/ 5150
    Favorite VH Song

happy trails/ dreams
    Last Online

03.21.19 @ 02:05 PM
    Liked 2,065 Times in 1,127 Posts

Premium Member

Donor

Utilize. Improvise. Adapt. Overcome.

I love coffee and sarcasm.

RJD \m/

Sig Pic courtesy of Greenpaw

10. The Following 2 Members Like This Post:

Favorite VH Album

II & WACF
    Favorite VH Song

HAIL & Simple Rhyme
    Last Online

Quote Originally Posted by ArtyBoy View Post
    I think these replies are what I needed. I had this vision of people opening 55" TV sets, or putting on virtual reality helmets and playing some awesome video game I've never even heard of. My Amazon gift card came in a nice little wrapped box. I put it under my little tree and thought, "Wow. This is where we're at now. One gift card." But now I know I guess I was on top of the world with my gift card!

Really probably the best gift I get is I still do paper Christmas cards, and I send them to the guys my Dad used to work with, and my Mom's childhood friend who's now about 80. I like getting something back from them and putting it on the mantle, and keeping the communication going even if my parents aren't around.
    It's tough when you hit our age and aren't married & childless.

At this point, it's like our destiny has long been chosen.

The key is to think of the money you'll save, the idea that you won't have to compromise
    on trivial things, and if you want a brand new Les Paul, no one can stop you from buying
    a brand new Les Paul.

The downside, is passing away in your home & no one noticing for several weeks.

12. The Following Member Likes This Post:

Good Enough
    Last Online

Quote Originally Posted by japeape View Post
    The downside, is passing away in your home & no one noticing for several weeks.
    That can happen either way, though.

There's a guy in this neighborhood who's going to be 80 soon. He had a wife and stepson. The stepson died first because he was a huge alcoholic who drank until he had a hole in his stomach. The wife was drunk a lot, too, and she died a few years later.

So now this guy is going to be 80 soon, and he STILL gets up at about 5:30 a.m. and drives 25 or 30 miles across town to work in an auto parts warehouse every day. Then he comes home to an empty house. He finally got some divorced guy in his 50's to come live with him, but...bleh.

There's another guy up the street who's in his 60's. His wife divorced him, and all he has is his Corvette. He's living with his parents who have to be nearly 90! Just imagine being 60-something and getting the rug pulled out from under you, and moving back into your 90 year old parents' basement?!

Usually the spouse dies, then the other either dies soon after, or they go on for years, hoping kids take them in, or at least get them a decent nursing home.

It came to me yesterday: No matter what you do, life is a kamikaze mission, so no point wringing your hands too much.

Favorite VH Album

II & WACF
    Favorite VH Song

HAIL & Simple Rhyme
    Last Online

Quote Originally Posted by ArtyBoy View Post
    That can happen either way, though.

There's a guy in this neighborhood who's going to be 80 soon. He had a wife and stepson. The stepson died first because he was a huge alcoholic who drank until he had a hole in his stomach. The wife was drunk a lot, too, and she died a few years later.

So now this guy is going to be 80 soon, and he STILL gets up at about 5:30 a.m. and drives 25 or 30 miles across town to work in an auto parts warehouse every day. Then he comes home to an empty house. He finally got some divorced guy in his 50's to come live with him, but...bleh.

There's another guy up the street who's in his 60's. His wife divorced him, and all he has is his Corvette. He's living with his parents who have to be nearly 90! Just imagine being 60-something and getting the rug pulled out from under you, and moving back into your 90 year old parents' basement?!

Usually the spouse dies, then the other either dies soon after, or they go on for years, hoping kids take them in, or at least get them a decent nursing home.

It came to me yesterday: No matter what you do, life is a kamikaze mission, so no point wringing your hands too much.
    On one hand, i don't wanna die in front of people, just the embarassment of collapsing and everyone
    watching you get loaded onto a stretcher.

On the other, i don't wanna drop while jerking off or in the shower, then being discovered a week later
    in a compromised, decomposed state.

Ideally, you die in your sleep, discovered the next morning.

Or you drop while going up the stairs in your house, with the wife calling the paramedics
    almost instantly.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

03.25.19 @ 08:01 AM
    Liked 15,574 Times in 6,767 Posts

Default Cool toys for Christmas / Hanukkah?

I donít really ever ask for anything, whatever I want I just buy for myself anyway. But hereís what I got.

With money from my parents I bought some Apple AirPods which are great because Iím on the phone all day from home for work so itís nice to be hands-free and I wonít disrupt everyone by using the speaker.

I am big into Rubikís Cubes so I got a 6 x 6 and a 7 x 7 from family this year. Yes I can solve a 3 x 3, 4 x 4 and a 5 x 5 fairly easily and yes I already solved the new ones. Theyíre basically the same itís just adding more squares.

Got a clip on tuner for the house. I often play unplugged in my living room and itís a pain in the ass if I have to tune so itís nice to have a quick way of doing it.

Oh some onion goggles. I like to cook and I cut onions and I always burn my eyes.

A funny shirt from my daughter. A nice new LA Rams shirt, a USC frosted glass that listed my major on it which is weird.

Some real Coke (soda folks) from Mexico. Already drank it all.

Probably a couple other little things but that was it.

Iím an only child, both my parents are alive, I have a wife and daughter and my wifeís entire side of the family. So we celebrate and everyone gets stuff. We do Hanukkah and Christmas. Itís a big event here. The downside is we really drain our bank account. And I hate that.
    Webmaster
    VHLinks.com - Your Van Halen Internet Resource Guide
    http://www.vhlinks.com

JamToThis.com
    Audio/Video Trading Community
    Tons of Van Halen!

16. The Following Member Likes This Post:

Good Enough
    Last Online

I hope I got some of the genes of the aunt I'm always referencing. She's 78 and still going non-stop. My uncle is in his mid-80's and has a heart problem along with other ailments. My cousin took them on a trip to Jamaica this summer. I thought putting a heart patient on a long plane ride for a week long visit to a Third World country was insane, but they made it, and apparently had a great time! They just got back to Tennessee after visiting my cousin in Houston for a week. I don't even have that kind of energy now!

My aunt is always telling me, "I hope you're getting out and about. You need to go see things now because you won't be able to when you get older."

Good Enough
    Last Online

Quote Originally Posted by Brett View Post
    I don’t really ever ask for anything, whatever I want I just buy for myself anyway. But here’s what I got.

With money from my parents I bought some Apple AirPods which are great because I’m on the phone all day from home for work so it’s nice to be hands-free and I won’t disrupt everyone by using the speaker.

I am big into Rubik’s Cubes so I got a 6 x 6 and a 7 x 7 from family this year. Yes I can solve a 3 x 3, 4 x 4 and a 5 x 5 fairly easily and yes I already solved the new ones. They’re basically the same it’s just adding more squares.

Got a clip on tuner for the house. I often play unplugged in my living room and it’s a pain in the ass if I have to tune so it’s nice to have a quick way of doing it.

Oh some onion goggles. I like to cook and I cut onions and I always burn my eyes.

A funny shirt from my daughter. A nice new LA Rams shirt, a USC frosted glass that listed my major on it which is weird.

Some real Coke (soda folks) from Mexico. Already drank it all.

Probably a couple other little things but that was it.

I’m an only child, both my parents are alive, I have a wife and daughter and my wife’s entire side of the family. So we celebrate and everyone gets stuff. We do Hanukkah and Christmas. It’s a big event here.
    Finally, a post that's not about death! Sounds like fun toys!

I was even talking to my buddy down in Jacksonville via Facebook tonight and apparently aging and mortality are on his mind, too! I'm just looking forward to taking on 2019!