Favorite VH Album

All 7 with Dave
    Favorite VH Song

Hear About It Later
    Last Online

01.19.19 @ 08:15 PM
    Liked 239 Times in 137 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Van Squalen View Post
    Yes, yes, liar, we know. Metallica was bigger in Jersey than Van Halen in 1988.

And Stryper was bigger than the Boss in Jersey in '88 too, right?
    Hard to believe, but they were. Why am I even responding to you? All you are is a troll that spews his shit all over this board. God knows why you are still here and Cabo is gone? At least the guy had sensible things to say other than spew your diatribe as you do.

2. The Following 4 Members Like This Post:

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

01.21.19 @ 10:39 AM
    Liked 14,956 Times in 6,464 Posts

Precisely what happened at the Coliseum. I think you were there on the night Hetfield didn't call down the nosebleeds to the front floor. I was there on the night he did.

Either way....nobody fucking cared about the first three acts in Los Angeles for MOR.
    Yeah that’s the show I was at. He never did that. At least that I can remember. He may have that night too.

It really felt like a Van Halen show, with the Scorpions as openers. The other bands really were way down the pecking order, and the crowds were way smaller.

I have no axe to grind, I like Metallica (well good Metallica) and Dokken, and don’t hate the Scorpions, but it never felt like anything but a Van Halen show.
    Webmaster
    VHLinks.com - Your Van Halen Internet Resource Guide
    http://www.vhlinks.com

JamToThis.com
    Audio/Video Trading Community
    Tons of Van Halen!

Favorite VH Album

All 7 with Dave
    Favorite VH Song

Hear About It Later
    Last Online

Quote Originally Posted by Darrin Stephens View Post
    I was at a couple shows and yes including the Giants stadium. The crowd there actually was disproportionally Metallica more so than any other show I saw and was a true shock for me as did not see that reaction in other markets. The stadium was trashed and all the energy left the building after their set. They had by far the strongest fan reaction but I would not say more fans than VH but yes more rabid. Why that show or market, I am not up on my Metallica knowledge to say.

Either way, it was a successful tour and kudos to Sam who was pretty sick that entire tour.
    Thank you. That case is closed.

5. The Following 2 Members Like This Post:

Last Online

01.21.19 @ 11:02 AM
    Liked 2,462 Times in 1,556 Posts

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by AJW View Post
    Hard to believe, but they were. Why am I even responding to you? All you are is a troll that spews his shit all over this board. God knows why you are still here and Cabo is gone? At least the guy had sensible things to say other than spew your diatribe as you do.
    Let it go, puddin'. Focus on the matter at hand. And the matter at hand is, you're lying once again. I do not believe Metallica was bigger in Jersey in 1988 than Van Halen. You are a liar.

Nowadays...Metallica dwarfs Van Halen in Jersey and everywhere else for that matter. But in 1988...no. You are exaggerating. As you are known to do.

Last Online

01.21.19 @ 10:17 AM
    Liked 1,315 Times in 569 Posts

It's revisionist. They were barely on the road map. We'd heard of them. That's all.
    Really? I grew up in upstate NY and Metallica was huge even before Justice. Go to the mall and every headbanger had the puppets patch on the back of their jean jacket.

When Justice dropped, everybody was all over it, at least where I lived.

I can't speak to the show, cuz I never went - but at least in MY High School, in 1989, Metallica was as big if not bigger than VH that particular year. Justice dropped at the end of summer 88 I believe.

And in 91, FUCK and Black Album were basically the top 2 albums bar none. Even the guido's in college were all listening to VH and Metallica at that juncture.

*I'm just stating opinion before anybody attacks me with internet muscles*

This argument is akin to "my dad can beat up your dad" so it's all stupid in some way shape or form.

If anybody wants to go at me over my opinion, message me your cell # so we can discuss that way

Peace
    ~E
    Last edited by EJC; 12.28.18 at 12:26 PM.

8. The Following 4 Members Like This Post:

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

01.21.19 @ 10:39 AM
    Liked 14,956 Times in 6,464 Posts

I wouldn’t be surprised if Metallica was bigger back east back then. But out here, it took the Black Album to get them to that crazy level.
    Webmaster
    VHLinks.com - Your Van Halen Internet Resource Guide
    http://www.vhlinks.com

JamToThis.com
    Audio/Video Trading Community
    Tons of Van Halen!

10. The Following Member Likes This Post:

Favorite VH Album

Fair warning, 5150
    Favorite VH Song

HAIL, love walks in, 5150
    Last Online

@
    Liked 7,017 Times in 3,496 Posts

Donor

Let it go, puddin'. Focus on the matter at hand. And the matter at hand is, you're lying once again. I do not believe Metallica was bigger in Jersey in 1988 than Van Halen. You are a liar.

Nowadays...Metallica dwarfs Van Halen in Jersey and everywhere else for that matter. But in 1988...no. You are exaggerating. As you are known to do.
    Both of you calm the hell down. And stop calling each other dumb ass names. Like puddin’.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

12. The Following Member Likes This Post:

Favorite VH Album

All 7 with Dave
    Favorite VH Song

Hear About It Later
    Last Online

Why that show or market, I am not up on my Metallica knowledge to say.
    Three words: Old Bridge Militia.

Last Online

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by Brett View Post
    Yeah that’s the show I was at. He never did that. At least that I can remember. He may have that night too.

It really felt like a Van Halen show, with the Scorpions as openers. The other bands really were way down the pecking order, and the crowds were way smaller.

I have no axe to grind, I like Metallica (well good Metallica) and Dokken, and don’t hate the Scorpions, but it never felt like anything but a Van Halen show.
    Ditto. I respect Metallica now. I'm not a huge fan, but I know their place in the hard rock pyramid and they've absolutely earned it. I'm a big Scorps fan no doubt, but it was a Van Halen show without question. Everybody was wearing old VH concert shirts. Everybody stayed after Metallica and the Scorpions' sets to see Van Halen. The opening acts were by and large afterthoughts in Los Angeles. We didn't bother even coming in until halfway thru Metallica's set, which ultimately cost us our 9th row pit seats.

I'm not pissing on Metallica, but to say people were there more to see them than VH...in any market...in 1988...is ridiculous. People just want to hype up the Metallica over the Van Hagar, I guess.

Last Online

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by fudd View Post
    Both of you calm the hell down. And stop calling each other dumb ass names. Like puddin’.

I'm perfectly calm lol. As usual, he got personal first. You saw it yourself.

Good Enough
    Last Online

01.21.19 @ 10:11 AM
    Liked 3,450 Times in 1,505 Posts

Premium Member

It is funny, I think we forget back in the day pre internet how acts tended to have hot markets or had regional pockets or dead zones. The market has changed so much, not sure if for better.

17. The Following 3 Members Like This Post:

Favorite VH Album

Fair warning, 5150
    Favorite VH Song

HAIL, love walks in, 5150
    Last Online

@
    Liked 7,017 Times in 3,496 Posts

Donor

I'm perfectly calm lol. As usual, he got personal first. You saw it yourself.
    Doesn’t mean you always have to act on it VS. high road is a way to handle it too.

19. The Following 5 Members Like This Post:

Little Dreamer
    Last Online

01.18.19 @ 03:03 PM
    Liked 10 Times in 6 Posts

Yeah, this is not like half of the NFL players or NBA players of today. It was very different back then. When you signed a deal, that was it until it expired. It would have been very rare to negotiate a new deal.
    Ok, here's the new album. We're calling it "A Tribute to the Genius of Tiny Tim." Wouldn't think of asking for a penny more than is specified in the contract. Good luck selling it to the people who bought the first album. We'll save our new songs "Dance the Night Away" and "Beautiful Girls" for live shows and a better record contract.

In reality, Allen Klein was renegotiating for Mickey Most in the mid-60s, the Rolling Stones in the mid-late 60s and the Beatles after that. John Travolta wasn't getting paid union scale for the second season of "Welcome Back, Kotter." Warner Brothers itself had lost to Olivia de Havilland on the issue of what a signed contract really enforces and that was decades earlier. I'm not sure Queen ever finished a contract with their American company until they signed with Disney/Hollywood in 1990 [who they're still with today] they just signed with a new company with the provision that the new company would buy out the contract from the old company.

Rock stars and their management aren't the smartest people in the world so it's no surprise that many bands didn't renegotiate, but that's not because they couldn't.

Eruption
    Last Online

01.17.19 @ 06:52 AM
    Liked 279 Times in 151 Posts

I was at the Giants Stadium MOR show. I wasn't a huge Metallica fan then, but I knew a lot of guys who were. I really thought the Scorps had a bigger, but not wilder, crowd response. But maybe I'm misremembering. I was there for VH and cheerfully sat through the other acts to see them. I've always loved Sucker in a Three Piece and they played it that night. So I was happy.

Little Dreamer
    Last Online

01.18.19 @ 03:03 PM
    Liked 10 Times in 6 Posts

My favorite contract that forced bankruptcy modeled off this was Mike Tyson's King contract. Don charged millions and millions against Tyson for guess what - towels. Specifically everytime Tyson wiped his forehead or a sparring partner used a towel Don got paid $400 PER TOWEL and yep was legal. Dig into artist contracts and read the appendix for charges, it is a maze that anyone but a forensic accountant would have trouble following and certainly not something a drunk like Monk would.
    Strange how someone in or around the band was level-headed enough to think of something as brilliant as the 'no brown M&Ms' clause and never apply that to any other part of any other contract.