Favorite VH Album

Van Halen
    Favorite VH Song

I'm the One
    Last Online

06.22.19 @ 10:41 AM
    Liked 1,643 Times in 882 Posts

Default Jackson info?

I'm looking at a 2nd hand Jackson superstrat - not the eye-wateringly expensive ones - and am a bit lost regarding the different models in the newer range and ca't find any info on the 'net so wondering if anyone here can help.

Some of them are ridiculously cheap and so I won't touch them with a barge pole, (usually fitted with non-brand PU and shitty FR Specials) but then there's a middle ground of around $800 that are fitted with SDs and I'm not sure if them trem is an upgrade, too but they even have thru-necks, which I never thought I'd see in that price range.

I'm aware that there's been various Japanese (maybe even Korean) outsourcing since the 90s - I remember the awful Performer and Concept range) but can't find any info on the models I'm seeing pop up on Ebay (all seem to be 21st century) and so am wary.

• SLX, SLR, SLXT, JS22, JS32, JS11, DKM2, DKA, DKMGT?!??
    • I'm guessing Duncan Designed PU are inferior to SDs but not sure where Jackson's own PU sit in the mix
    • Some have Jackson FR but no model numbers to denote if they're good Jackson trems or crappy ones and I won't go below FTR-1000 quality (which are awesome).

Info much appreciated.
    My preference is for HH but not averse to HSH or HSS

Good Enough
    Last Online

06.26.19 @ 05:00 PM
    Liked 1,701 Times in 977 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by BlofeldsCat View Post
    I'm looking at a 2nd hand Jackson superstrat - not the eye-wateringly expensive ones - and am a bit lost regarding the different models in the newer range and ca't find any info on the 'net so wondering if anyone here can help.

Some of them are ridiculously cheap and so I won't touch them with a barge pole, (usually fitted with non-brand PU and shitty FR Specials) but then there's a middle ground of around $800 that are fitted with SDs and I'm not sure if them trem is an upgrade, too but they even have thru-necks, which I never thought I'd see in that price range.

I'm aware that there's been various Japanese (maybe even Korean) outsourcing since the 90s - I remember the awful Performer and Concept range) but can't find any info on the models I'm seeing pop up on Ebay (all seem to be 21st century) and so am wary.

• SLX, SLR, SLXT, JS22, JS32, JS11, DKM2, DKA, DKMGT?!??
    • I'm guessing Duncan Designed PU are inferior to SDs but not sure where Jackson's own PU sit in the mix
    • Some have Jackson FR but no model numbers to denote if they're good Jackson trems or crappy ones and I won't go below FTR-1000 quality (which are awesome).

Info much appreciated.
    My preference is for HH but not averse to HSH or HSS
    I have two Jacksons with Seymour Duncan noiseless single coils and JB humbuckers, made in Japan, and they're great.

Good Enough
    Last Online

Whoops, wasn't trying to "impress" you, just since you brought up Jacksons...

Favorite VH Album

Balance
    Last Online

06.27.19 @ 12:32 AM
    Liked 162 Times in 82 Posts

I have the DK2S w/Sustainiac, but am not too sure as to its specs. Picked it up for $600 new at a local store. I think I had the Floyd blocked. I haven't played it in forever.

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Album

Van Halen
    Favorite VH Song

I'm the One
    Last Online

Still need info on their ranges, though.

Hang 'Em High
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Bottoms Up!
    Last Online

06.26.19 @ 10:57 PM
    Liked 3,963 Times in 2,487 Posts

I bought a brand new Soloist five years ago. The Pro series. I think those are all thru necks.
    I was basically looking at Dinky's and Soloist. My favorite models.
    From what I found, back then, the guitars $800 and up had the 1000 trems and authentic Duncan's.

The guitars in the $600 range had Floyd specials and inferior Duncan's.

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Album

Van Halen
    Favorite VH Song

I'm the One
    Last Online

Thanks, PoP. I've dug up the JS are shite and that the Pro X are good - the SL2Q-MAH are also thru-necks - but the rest is just too confusing and everywhere I turn I am finding more and more model numbers that don't make any sense. Some have M as an extension which means maple neck but D2MXG2QZ - or whatever - is meaningless.

Hang 'Em High
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Bottoms Up!
    Last Online

06.26.19 @ 10:57 PM
    Liked 3,963 Times in 2,487 Posts

LOL. Yeah, X series is when they start getting good.
    No doubt! They need to start simplifying things. No need for it to be that damn confusing.

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Album

Van Halen
    Favorite VH Song

I'm the One
    Last Online

How would you say they compare against the EVH Striped series and Ibanez RG550 and up (570/770/Jem)?

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Girl Gone Bad
    Last Online

06.26.19 @ 08:11 PM
    Liked 1,634 Times in 871 Posts

Premium Member

Not that it helps you at all, but I always loved the Soloist, but never played one. It's my ultimate shredder guitar, even though i'm far from being a shredder.

Ibanez RG Wizard necks are what they are, you either love them, or there just isn't enough wood there, which is how I feel about them. The Striped series are no where near a wizard neck. They are thin and quite wide, but they are immediately comfortable for me. They are certainly wider than a Wolfgang, which is my favoured profile, but not too much different. I like to feel the neck beneath by hand.

I got a Richie Kotzen tele about 12mths ago and the neck is fucking huge. It sounds incredible, but i'm thinking about getting a new neck for it. The dude must have massive hands like Paul Gilbert, it's so difficult for me to to play above above the 15th fret, although he seems to make it sing like the most beautiful thing in the world.
    Most rock journalism is people who can't write, interviewing people who can't talk, for people who can't read. - Frank Zappa

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Album

Van Halen
    Favorite VH Song

I'm the One
    Last Online

It's funny that you think the EVH is thin as I thought it was fat and Strat-ish when I first got it. I know what you mean about fret access and it's why 24 frets and AANJ are imperative for me (though the EVH is shaved to make it a little bit easier to hit the high frets.

Good Enough
    Last Online

Quote Originally Posted by PrideofPasadena View Post
    I bought a brand new Soloist five years ago. The Pro series. I think those are all thru necks.
    I was basically looking at Dinky's and Soloist. My favorite models.
    From what I found, back then, the guitars $800 and up had the 1000 trems and authentic Duncan's.

The guitars in the $600 range had Floyd specials and inferior Duncan's.
    The Soloists are through necks and are over $1,000. They were based on the Charvel Model 6 which was the first Charvel-Jackson thru-neck model, if I recall.

The DK2 models I have are bolt-on necks but as I said have the genuine Seymour Duncan noiseless single coils, JB in the bridge (no Duncan Designed here), alder bodies, made in Japan, and came with branded Jackson hardshell cases for $500-$550. The tremolos are something "licensed from Floyd Rose by Jackson" but work well and seem quality. I don't see anything like these out there now, even used (got mine in 2010 or 2011). I think Jackson has stopped using the Rickenbacker-style "sharktooth" inlays, also, the last time I looked at their site.

I'm not really a shredder and don't reach for mine a lot, but they're lovely, have great Japanese-ish sleek styling, and the cases even smell great. When you want to get back to 1988, you're there.

Good Enough
    Last Online

My Jacksons have been seen in Kansas City, partying with Pat Metheny and discussing their favorite Cab Calloway tracks.

DK stands for "Dinky," thusly named because the bodies are smaller than standard Stratocaster bodies.

No Duncan Designed here!

14. The Following Member Likes This Post:

Favorite VH Album

II & WACF
    Favorite VH Song

HAIL & Simple Rhyme
    Last Online

06.26.19 @ 03:21 PM
    Liked 11,254 Times in 6,139 Posts

Blo, get one of those new Charvels with the Fender headstock.

The So_cal series, i think.

I think Van Squalen monitors each & every model!
    Graver, Walking Ed, refugee from CVH & proud tone chaser...

Good Enough
    Last Online

The SoCals have a pickguard, the San Dimas' have no pickguard.

The original USA Fender San Dimas Charvels had pickup surrounds like a Les Paul and came in a gig bag. The later Japanese ones have no pickup surrounds and I *think* the pickups are mounted directly to the body. The Japanese ones came in a hard case.

I'm pretty sure the current ones are made in Mexico and have no pickup surrounds (the pickup surround looks better IMO). I'm guessing they come in a gig bag.

On all of them, starting a major scale from the second degree of the scale will be a Dorian mode, the third is Phrygian, etc. This was verified to me last week by my jazz piano and bass buddy, who owns Pat Metheny's albums, and also Return to Forever's, Weather Report's, etc. I don't think he's ever been to Kansas City, though, therefore he's not very "impressive."

The early USA Charvels were known to have some duds with bad finishes, etc., but they got better. Also, it's known to be hard to do a "Cathedral" effect because the volume knobs are stiff, but I like that. It says sturdiness to me.
    Last edited by ArtyBoy; 12.21.18 at 11:51 AM.