Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register
Save
    Last Online

08.25.19 @ 01:39 PM
    Liked 4,426 Times in 1,680 Posts

Premium Member

Donor

Default New Strat Build Clip (and build story)

When it comes to Strats I've been a partscaster guy, and they've always been Super Strats with HSS or HSH setups and locking trems. I've had the itch for a more traditional Strat for a few years, and its finally come to fruition.

The body is a Fender Deluxe Roadhouse body from the Stratosphere. I picked this for it's contoured heel, two point trem with vintage style saddles, and most importantly to my wife, the Ice Blue Metallic color. It's paired with a Roasted Maple/Rosewood Warmoth neck with my usual specs: 1-5/8" nut width, Wolfgang backshape, compound radius and jumbo stainless frets. A graphtech nut and Gotoh tuners with pearloid buttons adorn the headstock.

For the electronics I took some inspiration from the Silver Sky, most specifically the mid-6k wound pickups and a 275k pot volume pot. I read some great reviews of the Fender Custom Shop Fat '60s over on Strat-Talk.com, so I took a chance on those (and had a set of Texas Specials just in case I didn't like the Fat '60s). Since they're wound at 6.7k with Alnico 2 magnets I figured they may benefit from a hair more brightness with a 275k pot, so I got a bourns low friction 300k pot and used a resistor in parallel to ground to bring it down to 275k. This made the pickups really well balanced - they're nice and fat with a present yet pleasant high end that makes them very versatile.

As I said before, I'm usually a Super Strat (or Wolfgang) guy. Part of that is that I absolutely cannot stand traditional Strat volume knob placement. So I went with a modified master volume / master tone set up to match my other partscasters. I knew the bridge pickup would still need some taming, so I used a 5-way Super Switch to switch in resistors to a tone cap on the bridge and bridge/middle positions. In order to experiment to find the right values I ran the wires for this through to the battery box that came stock on the Roadhouse body (since the Roadhouse guitars come with active preamps and I wasn't using one). This has essentially given me a super useful master tone with a trims for the 1 and 2 positions. I'm super pleased with how it's working so far.

The one bump in the road was the pickguard. I ordered a parchment guard from Warmoth, which is cut to standard Fender specs. However, the roadhouse doesn't use standard specs, so I had to break out my dremel and trim the bridge route by about an eighth of an inch. It wasn't trimmed yet in these photos, but it came out super clean and I don't think anybody would ever notice.

Overall I'm thrilled with this build. It's almost everything I want in a Strat (side jack and EBMM/EVH style truss adjust would be nice). This is also the nicest Warmoth neck I've ordered, the fretwork is basically perfect. I was going to take it to a tech for fret level but it doesn't need it, action is super low but everything rings out clearly, no fretting out, plays incredibly smooth. But enough yapping - here's the guitar.

Video of some quick and dirty improv over a Mayer tune:

And pics...

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Panama
    Last Online

08.25.19 @ 01:47 PM
    Liked 8,981 Times in 6,450 Posts

Premium Member

Super cool specs, photos, and playing!
    You really know your stuff, both in terms of wailing, and also the nuts & bolts aspect of guitar building. Awesome!
    "There's too many people on this basketball that's floating around the sun, who are too afraid to allow themselves to FEEL" - Edward Van Halen
    "Van Halen was never about the singer..." - A very wise fan.
    "Embrace the past. Live in the moment but keep your eyes on the future, and keep on moving forward..." - Richie Sambora

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Song

Hang `em High, I'm the One
    Last Online

08.25.19 @ 12:26 PM
    Liked 1,778 Times in 1,018 Posts

I've got to say, you're a Real Deal guitar player. I'm sure you played that off the cuff, yet it sounds practiced, and you could put that on an album with no edits. If Eddie looked at that I think he would say, "That's some good stuff!"

4. The Following Member Likes This Post:

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

08.25.19 @ 01:37 PM
    Liked 16,454 Times in 7,248 Posts

I hate you Jedi. Such an amazing effortless player. Love the guitar!
    Webmaster
    VHLinks.com - Your Van Halen Internet Resource Guide
    http://www.vhlinks.com

JamToThis.com
    Audio/Video Trading Community
    Tons of Van Halen!

6. The Following 5 Members Like This Post:

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Panama
    Last Online

08.25.19 @ 01:47 PM
    Liked 8,981 Times in 6,450 Posts

Premium Member

I love those Strat tones!
    "There's too many people on this basketball that's floating around the sun, who are too afraid to allow themselves to FEEL" - Edward Van Halen
    "Van Halen was never about the singer..." - A very wise fan.
    "Embrace the past. Live in the moment but keep your eyes on the future, and keep on moving forward..." - Richie Sambora

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Push comes to shove
    Last Online

08.23.19 @ 06:26 PM
    Liked 1,327 Times in 824 Posts

Premium Member

Donor

Killer playing--killer build
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants."

A patriot must always be ready to defend his country against his government.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Girl Gone Bad
    Last Online

08.24.19 @ 11:48 PM
    Liked 1,682 Times in 899 Posts

Premium Member

That is a beautiful guitar. I may hassle you for details via PM when I do my strat build next year. Great playing too, as usual
    Most rock journalism is people who can't write, interviewing people who can't talk, for people who can't read. - Frank Zappa

Last Online

Premium Member

Donor

Thanks, guys ❤️

@CalFB - Absolutely feel free to hit me up. I love chatting out builds and I'm glad to offer any advice or insight I can. ��

11. The Following Member Likes This Post:

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Push comes to shove
    Last Online

Premium Member

Donor

Hey--McFly...lol
    Could you post pics of your guitar collection--I wanna show my wife. I showed her your strat build and she was like "awesome"...she loved it.
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants."

Last Online

Premium Member

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by evhintexas View Post
    Hey--McFly...lol
    Could you post pics of your guitar collection--I wanna show my wife. I showed her your strat build and she was like "awesome"...she loved it.
    Haha, sure. Here are pics of most of them. Not pictured are my Taylor acoustic and my original Peavey Wolfgang.

My two Warmoth/Fender Super Strats:

My Warmoth/Fender "traditional" Tele:

My P90 Thinline/Cabronita hybrid built from a tree that stood in my wife's childhood home:

My Locke/Musikraft Frankenstrat Replica:

My EVH Wolfgang Special, which is currently in the shop for a weird tuning stability issue I couldn't figure out:

And my EVH Wolfgang Standard that I modded to have a 5-way switch, this is my bar gig workhorse.

14. The Following Member Likes This Post:

Last Online

08.20.19 @ 09:27 PM
    Liked 1,113 Times in 594 Posts

Premium Member

That is some smooth bad ass playing, dude. Love it. Out.
    Quin-a-se-i-co

You're a dick for putting ian on "ignore" DIF

"You stupid fuck!" Seen

"Well if you saw it, stats and scientific studies be damned!" Lovemachine 97 v. 2.

" that's so pussy ass" Brook.

Last Online

08.25.19 @ 03:20 PM
    Liked 1,712 Times in 858 Posts

Premium Member

There's wayy too much awesome in this thread! Love the guitars, your playing, and it looks like you live in paradise too!

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Push comes to shove
    Last Online

Premium Member

Donor

Cool bro
    Thank you

Favorite VH Album

VHII
    Favorite VH Song

Light up the Sky
    Last Online

08.25.19 @ 02:42 PM
    Liked 592 Times in 246 Posts

Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by Jedi McFly View Post
    When it comes to Strats I've been a partscaster guy, and they've always been Super Strats with HSS or HSH setups and locking trems. I've had the itch for a more traditional Strat for a few years, and its finally come to fruition.

The body is a Fender Deluxe Roadhouse body from the Stratosphere. I picked this for it's contoured heel, two point trem with vintage style saddles, and most importantly to my wife, the Ice Blue Metallic color. It's paired with a Roasted Maple/Rosewood Warmoth neck with my usual specs: 1-5/8" nut width, Wolfgang backshape, compound radius and jumbo stainless frets. A graphtech nut and Gotoh tuners with pearloid buttons adorn the headstock.

For the electronics I took some inspiration from the Silver Sky, most specifically the mid-6k wound pickups and a 275k pot volume pot. I read some great reviews of the Fender Custom Shop Fat '60s over on Strat-Talk.com, so I took a chance on those (and had a set of Texas Specials just in case I didn't like the Fat '60s). Since they're wound at 6.7k with Alnico 2 magnets I figured they may benefit from a hair more brightness with a 275k pot, so I got a bourns low friction 300k pot and used a resistor in parallel to ground to bring it down to 275k. This made the pickups really well balanced - they're nice and fat with a present yet pleasant high end that makes them very versatile.

As I said before, I'm usually a Super Strat (or Wolfgang) guy. Part of that is that I absolutely cannot stand traditional Strat volume knob placement. So I went with a modified master volume / master tone set up to match my other partscasters. I knew the bridge pickup would still need some taming, so I used a 5-way Super Switch to switch in resistors to a tone cap on the bridge and bridge/middle positions. In order to experiment to find the right values I ran the wires for this through to the battery box that came stock on the Roadhouse body (since the Roadhouse guitars come with active preamps and I wasn't using one). This has essentially given me a super useful master tone with a trims for the 1 and 2 positions. I'm super pleased with how it's working so far.

The one bump in the road was the pickguard. I ordered a parchment guard from Warmoth, which is cut to standard Fender specs. However, the roadhouse doesn't use standard specs, so I had to break out my dremel and trim the bridge route by about an eighth of an inch. It wasn't trimmed yet in these photos, but it came out super clean and I don't think anybody would ever notice.

Overall I'm thrilled with this build. It's almost everything I want in a Strat (side jack and EBMM/EVH style truss adjust would be nice). This is also the nicest Warmoth neck I've ordered, the fretwork is basically perfect. I was going to take it to a tech for fret level but it doesn't need it, action is super low but everything rings out clearly, no fretting out, plays incredibly smooth. But enough yapping - here's the guitar.

Video of some quick and dirty improv over a Mayer tune:

And pics...

Nice playing Jedi!

Last Online

Premium Member

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by Rokgtar View Post
    There's wayy too much awesome in this thread! Love the guitars, your playing, and it looks like you live in paradise too!
    Thanks dude. And yeah, besides near constant humidity South Florida ain't too shabby. But at least I never have to adjust my truss rods LOL