Register
    Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

I'll Wait, Girl Gone Bad
    Last Online

12.13.18 @ 04:16 PM
    Liked 35 Times in 17 Posts

Default Peavey HP2 Review

So I found an awesome deal on Reverb for a Peavey HP2 and I just couldn't pass it up. I got the Deep Ocean model with Floyd Rose. In case any of you were considering getting one, I thought I might do a brief review and share some of my thoughts about it...

I should also note that I got the guitar used (although it was in very good, almost like new condition). There is always the possibility that some of the issues I have had with it were caused by the previous owner, but for most of them I am willing to bet that they were present from the factory, and were probably a factor in the previous owner not wanting to keep it.

If I had to summarize it very quickly, I would say it's a gorgeous guitar and is fun to play, but I have some serious concerns about Peavey's quality control and craftsmanship. Some points below:

-As far as construction, it is pretty much identical to the old Wolfgangs. Same neck and neck radius, same body shape... I personally really like it and find it quite comfortable and fun to play, just like the old Wolfgangs.

-The pickups are NOT the same as the original Wolfgangs. I measured the bridge to be about 16k and the neck about 13k (I cant remember the exact numbers). The bridge pickup sounds very similar to the Wolfgang, but is brighter, cleaner, and lower output. It is like they took the original pickups and removed a fair amount of low end, so they are not nearly as dark sounding. Chugging on the low strings with the bridge pickup does not work quite as well as the Wolfgang (IE it does not "djent" as well). It still has the nasal, kind of "wah wah pedal" sounding high mids and treble that the wolfgang bridge pickup had, but I actually like that sound so it is a positive for me. Since these are lower output, I had to use some washers under the base plates and get the pickups quite close to the strings to get a similar level of drive out of them. Overall I like the Wolfgang pickups slightly better, but I like these too - they are different, but not worse per se.

-This guitar has push-pull pots that split the pickups. The neck pickup sounds good (but not fantastic) split, but I don't really care for the sound of the bridge pickup split.

-Now for some of the quality issues. Firstly, the neck pocket angle is bad on the particular guitar I got, and without raising the bridge the strings buzzed like CRAZY. I had a tech install a block in the spring cavity so that I can raise the bridge without it floating, and it plays nice now.

-I am not sure if this is normal or not (I don't think it is), but the neck appears to have too much of a back bow in it naturally. When the guitar arrived it had eleven gauge strings, and the truss rod nut was loosened basically all the way (I could twist it with my thumb with no effort). Even then, with the rod fully loosened and the heavy gauge strings, it only had lass than .010 of relief! Fortunately this has not turned out to be a problem so far and I have gotten it set up and playing well.

-There are some blue spots on the binding, like they got paint on it and then clear coated over it, which means that this must have come like that from the factory. Also, if you look closely under the right lighting, the paint has a noticeable "orange peel" effect. Pretty disappointing for such an expensive guitar.

-The neck pickup cavity was not routed large enough, and the pickup is literally wedged into the cavity. When I added the washers to shim it I had to pull with a lot of force to get the pickup unwedged and scraped some of the paint off. This also makes the pickup rest an angle - the top of the pickup was slanted at about a 20 degree angle compared to the top of the body. This was partially remedied by the washers.

-The screw holes for the strap buttons appear to be poorly drilled, and combined with the natural softness of basswood this has caused problems with the strap buttons. Once I screw the screws in to a certain point, they merely spin in place without getting a firmer hold on the body, and they keep coming unscrewed with time. The top horn has gotten so bad that I can literally pull the strap button out with my fingers and not much force, rendering it basically useless.

2. The Following 3 Members Like This Post:

Eruption
    Favorite VH Album

For Unlawful Carnal Knowledge
    Favorite VH Song

Mine All Mine
    Last Online

12.13.18 @ 06:29 PM
    Liked 992 Times in 504 Posts

Oof that's a pretty scathing review. So definitely not the same QC standards as before.

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

I'll Wait, Girl Gone Bad
    Last Online

12.13.18 @ 04:16 PM
    Liked 35 Times in 17 Posts

Of course it is possible I just got a dud. I have not played any other HP2s and for all I know most of them might be quite high quality, but I would definitely recommend playing and inspecting one in person before buying it! Despite all the problems I have had with it, I still like the guitar; I am quite stubborn and determined to fix all the issues with it and make it a great guitar.

I also should mention that despite the functional problems, I got really lucky with this guitar as far as the visuals go. It is GORGEOUS. Other than the orange peeling and spots on the binding (both of which aren't that noticeable unless you are really up close and looking for them) this particular guitar looks much nicer than other Deep Ocean HP2s I have seen pictures of. The flame top and finish are particularly beautiful on the guitar, and the neck has a ton of birdseye in it - MUCH more than some other HP2 necks I have seen. I will try to post some pictures at some point.
    Last edited by speates; 12.04.18 at 01:18 PM.

5. The Following Member Likes This Post:

Last Online

12.13.18 @ 06:17 PM
    Liked 3,888 Times in 1,510 Posts

Premium Member

Donor

All those issues are a major bummer. Hopefully you can make the guitar work for you though. Looking forward to seeing the pics.

Also, did you talk to a tech about the truss rod? If the wheel is just free spinning then there might be a mechanical issue with the truss rod, no?

Eruption
    Favorite VH Album

Zero thru FW
    Favorite VH Song

One Sky Control Movies
    Last Online

12.07.18 @ 12:33 PM
    Liked 630 Times in 399 Posts

I thought those wheel truss rods were two-way adjustable, or maybe I'm confusing with another guitar.
    If they are two-way, maybe it's just in a neutral position.
    Maybe try turning it CCW, and see if it starts tightening. If it does, you should observe it removing the back bow.
    (If it is one-way, it will only get looser, and not snug up)
    Why behave in public...if you're livin' on a playground !