Sinner's Swing!
    Favorite VH Song

Hang `em High, I'm the One
    Last Online

11.12.19 @ 08:00 PM
    Liked 1,978 Times in 1,128 Posts

Premium Member

Default Ratt / Leppard-ish original

Maybe this is getting overlooked because I put it in the thread I made for my own tunes, so...I'll just repost it here.

Please keep in mind I'm not reposting it in a new thread because I'm desperate for attention. No, no! It's because I know you'll ENJOY it so much! I'm thinking of YOU, man!

This is the song I sent to Jacob Deraps and Josh Gallagher thinking maybe they could do something with it. I never heard anything back, though. I've also got some lyrics and a melody for this, but you're spared my "singing" on this one.

If you have a good set of headphones nearby, I think it stands up well to close scrutiny. Kind of a blend of mid-80's Ratt and Def Leppard.

2. The Following 3 Members Like This Post:

Atomic Punk
    Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Panama
    Last Online

11.12.19 @ 05:36 PM
    Liked 9,151 Times in 6,584 Posts

Geez, you are more desperate for attention than a scorned Sammy Hagar!

Cool tune and playing. I hope you get some more traction behind it in this thread. Do you have more stuff like this, ready to go? Interesting that you sent it to Deraps, and that he apparently at least heard it once... I wonder what he thought, seeing as he likes the 80's stuff as we do.
    "There's too many people on this basketball that's floating around the sun, who are too afraid to allow themselves to FEEL" - Edward Van Halen
    "Van Halen was never about the singer..." - A very wise fan.
    "Embrace the past. Live in the moment but keep your eyes on the future, and keep on moving forward..." - Richie Sambora

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Album

Van Halen
    Favorite VH Song

I'm the One
    Last Online

07.21.19 @ 09:13 AM
    Liked 1,657 Times in 889 Posts

Seems too 80s radio rock for the Emperor's New Clothes to bother with.

My thoughts? It's too disjointed - changes gears too many times and loses whatever vibe it's setting each time. Cool riff from 34-46s though and it's a shame that groove wasn't maintained throughout.
    Last edited by BlofeldsCat; 12.03.18 at 02:21 PM.

Favorite VH Album

Alex, Dave, Ed and Mike
    Favorite VH Song

The songs with Ed on them
    Last Online

11.12.19 @ 01:48 PM
    Liked 26,545 Times in 13,390 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by BlofeldsCat View Post
    Seems too 80s radio rock for the Emperor's New Clothes to bother with.
    Ha, took me a second.
    If I don't respond to you it means I have you on ignore, which means you are a douchenozzle.

Emperor Brett - "I can't believe you guys are analyzing song-by-song Van Halen III? What next, analyzing the script of Stroker Ace looking for some shred of Citizen Kane?"

David Lee Roth did the impossible. He made Van Halen better. Deal with it!

A man's rights rests in three boxes: the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box

Hurricane Halen - Let's all gingery touch our sword tips!!!

Sinner's Swing!
    Favorite VH Song

Last Online

Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by RRvh1 View Post
    Do you have more stuff like this, ready to go?
    I've got one more hard rock tune that sounds more Guns n' Roses-like that I actually started before this one. I'm just trying to make sure I'm satisfied with the mixing of it and also think of lyrics for it. Then I've got a Bruce Springsteen-ish one that's done that I'll post next week (I don't want to oversaturate my rabid fan base with too many awesome songs at once). Past those I've got some pop-country type things I'm trying to finish on the acoustic before I move forward. If I could even find a bar band to play one of these on a Tuesday night I would notch it as a victory.

Atomic Punk
    Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Panama
    Last Online

Awesome... I'd like to hear more stuff, if you're so inclined. I think it's a neat thing to support buddies and their music, even if it's simply words of encouragement etc. Keep jamming and (hopefully) posting away...
    "There's too many people on this basketball that's floating around the sun, who are too afraid to allow themselves to FEEL" - Edward Van Halen
    "Embrace the past. Live in the moment but keep your eyes on the future, and keep on moving forward..." - Richie Sambora

Last Online

11.12.19 @ 10:56 AM
    Liked 2,160 Times in 912 Posts

Premium Member

I like it. It's a cool tune. I'm not very good with social media, but if you are - try to get in touch with directors that do B movies. I think the best bet for any original music for guys like us is to get something into a low budget movie. If you have an Amazon prime membership - there is like this entire genre of B movies out there that I really get into. I'm not into the Hollywood blockbuster bullshit anymore, That would make my life complete, lol.

~E

Favorite VH Album

II & WACF
    Favorite VH Song

HAIL & Simple Rhyme
    Last Online

11.12.19 @ 08:53 PM
    Liked 12,475 Times in 6,826 Posts

I like Arty's country sounding/Tele stuff & his takes on the elusive Zep/Page style, but
    this riff sounds too generic.

There's an art (no pun intended) to that kinda 80's thing, where a Demartini or Crosby could
    just hook you with balls & melody (Lay it down, In your direction, Morning After, Round & Round, etc.)
    "You're in trouble," the chordal thing within the chorus, is just fantastic.
    Melody for days, but with serious teeth.

Plus, you need the right tone.
    You need more bite & attack, to convey that style.

Even the 70's stuff, things like "Get the lead out," have that push/pull melody happening,
    followed by another riff that has so much balls.

You gotta be creative.

I love the guy who demos these amp modulator things, because he steals those cool 80's
    chordal things & twists them into his own riffs.
    Plus, that tone!

I like how he takes the VH "Secrets" chords & turns them into something else, at the ;34 mark.
    Graver, Walking Ed, refugee from CVH & proud tone chaser...

Atomic Punk
    Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Panama
    Last Online

Quote Originally Posted by EJC View Post
    I like it. It's a cool tune. I'm not very good with social media, but if you are - try to get in touch with directors that do B movies. I think the best bet for any original music for guys like us is to get something into a low budget movie. If you have an Amazon prime membership - there is like this entire genre of B movies out there that I really get into. I'm not into the Hollywood blockbuster bullshit anymore, That would make my life complete, lol.

~E
    Very cool suggestions, and I like the way you think!
    Hell, maybe Art can score the next 'Fast Times...' or ''The Wild Life' movies!

Sinner's Swing!
    Favorite VH Song

Last Online

Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by EJC View Post

~E
    Thanks! Greta Van Fleet got me started down this road. When I was 20 I was just like them, wanting to be Led Zeppelin, but I was just sure I could come up with a better song than them. Then I saw Jacob Deraps getting a lot of flak over his first original. So I thought, "Hmm...maybe that could be my middle-aged thing. I write the song, and the younger people who still have their looks go play them." Desmond Child did it!

I've been watching a lot of videos from people in Nashville. They say getting your tune in the hands of an actual signed recording artist is going to be pretty much impossible, you have to get to know a band on the way up and hope they remember you after they make it. So I browse Bandcamp and I hear a lot of bands that play well, have really nicely recorded stuff, and great logos and photography, but their music doesn't have strong choruses or hooks. So I think, "They need ME!"

I'm also learning that unless you have a great voice out front, most people don't get where you're going with an idea. They either hear a Mutt Lange CD quality production with great vocals or they don't get it. I tried singing my own stuff just to give people a rough idea, but as a friend kindly put it, "It's hard to judge if a song has potential when it sounds like Dirk Diggler singing." (I had to look up who Dirk Diggler was.) True, if you played "Kashmir" but put a flat tuba in Robert Plant's place the song suddenly isn't so epic.

But anyway...I'll be putting a Bruce Springsteen-type song on here next week. Thanks for listening and commenting, everybody!

12. The Following Member Likes This Post: