Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 345678 LastLast
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

12.14.18 @ 10:25 AM
    Liked 14,442 Times in 6,277 Posts

I took six years of piano but I never took any guitar lessons. I had a friend who could play a little bit at the time and he taught me some open chords and the rest for me was history. I loved it. Learned the rest from magazines, tab books, listening to albums and trying to figure shit out.
    Webmaster
    VHLinks.com - Your Van Halen Internet Resource Guide
    http://www.vhlinks.com

JamToThis.com
    Audio/Video Trading Community
    Tons of Van Halen!

Eruption
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Humans Being
    Last Online

12.12.18 @ 11:35 PM
    Liked 804 Times in 453 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Brett View Post
    I took six years of piano but I never took any guitar lessons. I had a friend who could play a little bit at the time and he taught me some open chords and the rest for me was history. I loved it. Learned the rest from magazines, tab books, listening to albums and trying to figure shit out.
    Thanks for rubbing it in. ďNo guitar lessonĒ. After 16 private lessons the teacher told my mom ďGood thing heís one hell of an athlete because heíd have to quit school and do this full time to be any good.Ē And I realize you spent hours getting really good at it, but there werenít enough hours in the day for me.

Iím only having fun with this. Sports allowed me to travel the US so Iím blessed in a different context. Itís the same thing as actors wanting to be rock stars or sports stars wanting to be rock stars or actors. Lol

3. The Following 2 Members Like This Post:

Eruption
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Humans Being
    Last Online

Quote Originally Posted by NDL View Post
    Appreciate your time, and your honesty.

I guess I will stick with what I do best, which is that I listen to music
    At this point in my life, (except for golf) Iím with ya brother!

5. The Following Member Likes This Post:

NDL

Last Online

12.14.18 @ 10:15 AM
    Liked 1,196 Times in 512 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Destructo3 View Post
    Thanks for rubbing it in. ďNo guitar lessonĒ. After 16 private lessons the teacher told my mom ďGood thing heís one hell of an athlete because heíd have to quit school and do this full time to be any good.Ē And I realize you spent hours getting really good at it, but there werenít enough hours in the day for me.

Iím only having fun with this. Sports allowed me to travel the US so Iím blessed in a different context. Itís the same thing as actors wanting to be rock stars or sports stars wanting to be rock stars or actors. Lol
    Funny you bring that up... I was always torn between the 2. In 9th grade, as I was getting into music - I had my right arm brutally fractured during a JV football game. I was an option QB, and a kid but his helmet right on my extended arm during a pitch to my HB. I had to have pins put in my arm. Even with that, it was a long recovery that included having to wear some stupid prosthetic brace on my arm for like 6 months to get it to heal correctly. I still played in 10th and 11th grade, mostly to appease my parents, quit before my senior year and that is when the hair started growing and the VH/Ozzy started getting played loud in my bedroom. I sorta became the prototypical headbanger guitar guy in HS out of spite of my parents aspirations for me athletically.

Then in college, I did the complete opposite. I was pissed at myself for quitting football, and I gave up guitar for 4 years and got addicted to lifting weights and made my college team as a walk-on my junior year. So I stopped playing guitar from like 1992 to 96.

To bring it full circle, after college - I was working as a security guard in a Psychiatric Hospital for extra $$. We always had MTV on in the lobby at nite. They premiered the video for "Humans Being" and hearing that song made me fall in love with guitar all over again. From that day on, I started playing again and never stopped.

~E

7. The Following 2 Members Like This Post:

Good Enough
    Last Online

12.06.18 @ 02:09 PM
    Liked 51 Times in 27 Posts

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by EJC View Post
    Funny you bring that up... I was always torn between the 2. In 9th grade, as I was getting into music - I had my right arm brutally fractured during a JV football game. I was an option QB, and a kid but his helmet right on my extended arm during a pitch to my HB. I had to have pins put in my arm. Even with that, it was a long recovery that included having to wear some stupid prosthetic brace on my arm for like 6 months to get it to heal correctly. I still played in 10th and 11th grade, mostly to appease my parents, quit before my senior year and that is when the hair started growing and the VH/Ozzy started getting played loud in my bedroom. I sorta became the prototypical headbanger guitar guy in HS out of spite of my parents aspirations for me athletically.

Then in college, I did the complete opposite. I was pissed at myself for quitting football, and I gave up guitar for 4 years and got addicted to lifting weights and made my college team as a walk-on my junior year. So I stopped playing guitar from like 1992 to 96.

To bring it full circle, after college - I was working as a security guard in a Psychiatric Hospital for extra $$. We always had MTV on in the lobby at nite. They premiered the video for "Humans Being" and hearing that song made me fall in love with guitar all over again. From that day on, I started playing again and never stopped.

~E

Cool story....."Humans Being" doesn't get enough love on rock radio in my opinion. I think it's the last great "Van Hagar" song and one of Van Halen's best of their entire catalog.

Of course it's imperative to hear the entire song and not the shortened radio cut. After all, who the fuck cut's off Ed's solo for fucks sake?
    "People say Cream gave birth to Heavy Metal," says Baker. "If that's so, we should have had an abortion."

9. The Following Member Likes This Post:

Eruption
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Mean Street
    Last Online

12.14.18 @ 03:16 AM
    Liked 167 Times in 71 Posts

Lots of interesting takes on learning guitar in here and it pretty much narrows down to a combination of natural ability and work. But based on my experience I would add a third element that is a bit "out there" and that is mindfulness (a little zen.......)

I'm fifty and Ive been playing since I was 16. Trouble is that I've been playing badly since then. Im a good guitarist, but not great. Up until 18 months ago I was gigging regularly in pubs for $$$ so good enough, but I dont know how to put it, I didnt like my own playing.

8 years ago i went through a tough divorce and it forced me to reavaluate much about my self. 7 Years ago I met an incredible woman who introduced me to the rudiments of Buddhism (mindfulness, presence etc) and it actually opened my mind to guitar. It made me realise that all of my life I have filled my mind with GARBAGE regarding my own guitar playing. Things like......you shouldnt get lessons it will limit your personal style, no way you could play that, your gear isnt good enough, thats too hard, dont listen to that music its crap, any music that I can play is crap....This mindset severely limited me.

When I got my mind right, my whole world of guitar playing expanded and Ive never played as well or loved the guitar as much (just in time for arthritis to take it away). Some guys are born with a natural talent and pick it up easy, some like me have to work at it. I am convinced that some of the "talent" aspect is the right mindset about the guitar as well.

So to somewhat answer @NDL original question, I think its never too late to learn and in fact whilst its true that when you are young you learn quicker and easily, that kind of learning is almost unconscious whereas as you get older, you are smarter and that learning becomes more conscious, intentional, cognitive. I think absolutely you could learn a few VH songs in less than a year. Check your PM
    Last edited by Glenninaus; 12.06.18 at 02:40 PM. Reason: speeling

11. The Following 3 Members Like This Post:

Favorite VH Album

Alex, Dave, Ed and Mike
    Favorite VH Song

The songs with Ed on them
    Last Online

12.14.18 @ 10:10 AM
    Liked 22,909 Times in 11,521 Posts

Premium Member

You always forget to mention your lessons you took from Brettify on YouTube. You guys need to repair the relationship.
    Taylor Swift is nice to look at. Adele can sing.

Emperor Brett - "I can't believe you guys are analyzing song-by-song Van Halen III? What next, analyzing the script of Stroker Ace looking for some shred of Citizen Kane?"

David Lee Roth did the impossible. He made Van Halen better. Deal with it!

A man's rights rests in three boxes: the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box

Hurricane Halen - Let's all gingery touch our sword tips!!!

13. The Following 3 Members Like This Post:

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Me Wise Magic & Summer Nights
    Last Online

12.13.18 @ 08:02 PM
    Liked 188 Times in 89 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by japeape View Post
    I just don't want you to be too frustrated.

My brother in law bought an Alex Lifeson LP, and decided he was gonna learn at 52.
    I asked my nephew how his progress was going, and he said it just sits in it's case.
    He's too busy with stuff.
    No, I definitely appreciate your candor. Whenever I set goals for myself, I aim high, but I try to keep them within realistic boundaries.

Thanks for weighing in

Quote Originally Posted by RRvh1 View Post
    I took lessons in the beginning, yet got bored pretty quickly... I mostly learned from guitar magazines, a few videos, playing by ear, and just 'noodling'.
    Thanks for weighing in. You're definately within the "gifted" category then

I never took guitar lessons... But I did take around 3 years of classical piano lessons in elementary school, so I had a pretty good understanding of music when I picked up a guitar at 14. My mom got me a tab book with Randy Rhoads on the cover. It had some of his solos and the scales he used. That literally was the only "formal" study I did. Once I learned that stuff, I just began emulating what I was listening to, mostly Ozzy/VH/Yngwie stuff. I still don't really know what I'm doing, but I've learned as long as you are in the right key, it sounds ok. The biggest part is the syncopation between the left and right hand. Once you get that down, its pretty easy to learn whatever.

~E
    Having once heard your excellent work, I can't help but envy the ease with which you picked up the instrument.

Quote Originally Posted by Get The Show On The Road View Post
    I pretty much taught myself.

I saw a TAB book and figured I could figure it out that way. And I bought some book that had a bunch of scales and chords and exercises in it and learned that way.

And I watched a lot of LWAN.
    Appreciate you writing (and yes, these responses are killing me )

Quote Originally Posted by Jedi McFly View Post
    IThere are plenty of people who will never be able to do that, even practicing an hour a day for 10 years. I've had multiple students who've taken lessons for years and will never pass a certain skill point. One in particular has zero ability to keep time. None, at all. He's been playing for longer than I have, he's still at the same level he's been for 10 years. He's still taking lessons every week, yet no progression. He's a great dude and has a passion for music and the instrument. He continues because he loves it, and its a non-destructive hobby, but it's going nowhere.
    I appreciate your candor, although I am not surprised by your response.

All in all, I take it in stride...I am not geared towards one thing, I have been blessed in other ways.

Now my sense of envy is creeping back .

Quote Originally Posted by Glenninaus View Post
    So to somewhat answer @NDL original question, I think its never too late to learn and in fact whilst its true that when you are young you learn quicker and easily, that kind of learning is almost unconscious whereas as you get older, you are smarter and that learning becomes more conscious, intentional, cognitive. I think absolutely you could learn a few VH songs in less than a year. Check your PM
    Many thanks

Without getting sappy on y'all, we all go through different seasons in our lives. While I can't complain about where I am at, I look forward to overcoming this temporary bump in the road.

Y'all's love of music, and that everyone is willing to offer their input on something that is close to my heart (music)...it's appreciated more than you all know.

Thank you all.
    "...as great a musician as Ed is, he really needs to be more prolific because we need more great music out there. There's a lot of bad music out there." - Sammy Hagar

"I don't think he owes us, and I think few if any do. What we would like is for him to release music, since he is our favorite musician. It's a wish and a hope, not a critique." - Dave's Dreidel

15. The Following 4 Members Like This Post:

Eruption
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Humans Being
    Last Online

~E
    Would love to chat with you. I went through very similar issues. New I couldnít live with myself if I turned down football in college despite multiple injuries. Senior year in college we played Boise State in 15 degree weather on their old blue field. (No heaters under that field like their new one.) Caught a ball across the middle and was knocked out of my uniform, uncounscious. (Ball somehow stays in my hands.) Tore the last to discs in my back. Now I live with more hardware in my back than a car salvage yard.

Should have been unrelenting in learning the one thing I could kind or play. (Drums) But man was I a slow learning. Could not see myself getting to the level I could live with. Didnít have the same drive I had in sports.

Eruption
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Mean Street
    Last Online

12.14.18 @ 03:16 AM
    Liked 167 Times in 71 Posts

Would love to chat with you. I went through very similar issues. New I couldn’t live with myself if I turned down football in college despite multiple injuries. Senior year in college we played Boise State in 15 degree weather on their old blue field. (No heaters under that field like their new one.) Caught a ball across the middle and was knocked out of my uniform, uncounscious. (Ball somehow stays in my hands.) Tore the last to discs in my back. Now I live with more hardware in my back than a car salvage yard.

Should have been unrelenting in learning the one thing I could kind or play. (Drums) But man was I a slow learning. Could not see myself getting to the level I could live with. Didn’t have the same drive I had in sports.
    Never too late man

18. The Following Member Likes This Post:

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

12.14.18 @ 10:25 AM
    Liked 14,442 Times in 6,277 Posts

Default :::Wolf On Drums

I played park league sports like soccer, baseball, and basketball when I was young, but I was never great in them. I was decent enough in basketball because I could shoot well. But those sports were never going to be it for me. I was a skinny kid, I was never going to be some great physical specimen on the field or court.

My dad was a great athlete and actually could have and should have been a professional tennis player but decided not to keep pursuing it. He was awesome, played in college at USC. So I wanted something that was my own where I could beat him.

So I got into bowling by chance and between that and guitar that was my high school life. My dad did actually get into bowling, my whole family did and he got very good but he never could beat me, and I think that made him proud. I really wanted to be a professional bowler for a career but after doing it for two years after college I could see that unless you are the best of the best thereís no chance to make a career of that. I was great in the local scene but itís different on the tour where everyone was a local star somewhere. It was a lot of travel and a lot of work for not a lot of money so I really just turned back to music after that and have never put the guitar down.

I burned out on bowling about 10 years ago, I havenít picked up a ball since then, but Iíve never stopped playing guitar and playing in bands. I love it and itís NEVER too late to start. Seriously. Music is my release and I just love to play for the sheer joy. And you can do it forever.
    Webmaster
    VHLinks.com - Your Van Halen Internet Resource Guide
    http://www.vhlinks.com

JamToThis.com
    Audio/Video Trading Community
    Tons of Van Halen!

20. The Following 2 Members Like This Post:

Eruption
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Humans Being
    Last Online

Quote Originally Posted by Glenninaus View Post
    Never too late man
    Well said. My last child is close to fleeing the nest. Heís playing baseball in college. But, he has the musical aptitude I didnít. Pushing or rather encouraging him to pursue it and not
    take a one or the other attitude. He could hear a song and just about play it by ear on Piano. Same with the guitar. Hope I can influence him to not wait until heís my age!!!

Eruption
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Humans Being
    Last Online

I played park league sports like soccer, baseball, and basketball when I was young, but I was never great in them. I was decent enough in basketball because I could shoot well. But those sports were never going to be it for me. I was a skinny kid, I was never going to be some great physical specimen on the field or court.

My dad was a great athlete and actually could have and should have been a professional tennis player but decided not to keep pursuing it. He was awesome, played in college at USC. So I wanted something that was my own where I could beat him.

So I got into bowling by chance and between that and guitar that was my high school life. My dad did actually get into bowling, my whole family did and he got very good but he never could beat me, and I think that made him proud. I really wanted to be a professional bowler for a career but after doing it for two years after college I could see that unless you are the best of the best thereís no chance to make a career of that. I was great in the local scene but itís different on the tour where everyone was a local star somewhere. It was a lot of travel and a lot of work for not a lot of money so I really just turned back to music after that and have never put the guitar down.

I burned out on bowling about 10 years ago, I havenít picked up a ball since then, but Iíve never stopped playing guitar and playing in bands. I love it and itís NEVER too late to start. Seriously. Music is my release and I just love to play for the sheer joy. And you can do it forever.
    Awesome story Brett. Thanks for sharing it. The irony with me, is Racquetball was huge for 10-15 years when I was growing up. Parents put me in Tennis as there were no year round leagues for basketball, football and baseball then. I played a lot of tournaments and did pretty well. (I SUCK AT BOWLING, FYI! Lol)

Was entered in a Racquetball tournament by my Mom in itís infancy and won at age 10 even though they put ALL ages in the same group because there wasnít enough to break it into age groups. I won, beating my brother who is 4 years older. (Sweet revenge for the torture he put me thru!)

The sport blew up and by the time I was 15, I had payed in St Luis, Kansas, New York, Memphis, Mexico (the country) and other cities. Was Ranked nationally as high as 1 and always in the top three. This will blow most people minds, but at age 16, Sacramento State and LSU both offered full ride scholarships to keep me out of school sports. (Those two universities were the Ohio State and Oklahoma of Racquetball.)

I chose to quit and focus on school sports. Racquetball burnout and I wasnít getting laid playing Racquetball! It was a good call as I picked it back up after football ended my college senior year. My old endorsements with Wilson and a shoe company re-signed me and gave me an awesome hobby for weekend play. They paid my cost of travel and all of of my equipment. Until the body broke down permanently, I was making $2k-$4k a month playing a weekend hobby. Wilson still sends me free racquets and other equipment even though I havenít played competitively for 13 years. (They know Iím still teaching on the side for free and they ask me to show at certain tournaments to remain visible. Who knew? Racquetball?!?!?!

Big fish, in a VERY small pond! (Hope this doesnít come across wrong. I donít mean this as ďlook how great I amĒ.) Just relating to Brettís cool story. I love us humanizing each other and finding out our life experiences. We run the gambit here. Some here likely know JT Snow. 1st bass for the Angels and then the mighty Giants! HUGE VH Van. His walk up song in SF was mean street. He frequently mention VH. Happen to know he surfs here. Great guy.

23. The Following Member Likes This Post:

Favorite VH Song

Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love
    Last Online

12.14.18 @ 09:22 AM
    Liked 1,980 Times in 1,223 Posts

Well said. My last child is close to fleeing the nest. He’s playing baseball in college. But, he has the musical aptitude I didn’t. Pushing or rather encouraging him to pursue it and not
    take a one or the other attitude. He could hear a song and just about play it by ear on Piano. Same with the guitar. Hope I can influence him to not wait until he’s my age!!!
    Where is he playing ball?
    Remember the Heroes - 9/11/01

In 2012, the phoenix has risen!!

"High speed, low drag."

"Look at all the people here tonight!!!" - 10/5/07, 5/20/08 Mohegan Sun

Congratulations to Van Halen as part of the Class of 2007 Rock and Roll Hall of Fame!

Cinco de Cabo @ Foxwoods: "A giant party with live music" - S. Hagar

got tequila?

http://keepitaliveforever.com

Favorite VH Album

Alex, Dave, Ed and Mike
    Favorite VH Song

The songs with Ed on them
    Last Online

12.14.18 @ 10:10 AM
    Liked 22,909 Times in 11,521 Posts

Premium Member

I’ve never stopped playing guitar and playing in bands. I love it and it’s NEVER too late to start. Seriously. Music is my release and I just love to play for the sheer joy. And you can do it forever.
    I would just like to echo this sentiment. I didn't start playing until my 40's, and while I am nowhere even close to the guys on here skill and talent wise, I'm in a band, play live, and have a great time doing it.

Can't even tell you the natural high I got a couple of years ago when some random guy came up to me and said "hey, I saw your band play at the Save the Music Benefit, you guys were awesome". It's never too late.
    Taylor Swift is nice to look at. Adele can sing.

Emperor Brett - "I can't believe you guys are analyzing song-by-song Van Halen III? What next, analyzing the script of Stroker Ace looking for some shred of Citizen Kane?"

David Lee Roth did the impossible. He made Van Halen better. Deal with it!

A man's rights rests in three boxes: the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box

Hurricane Halen - Let's all gingery touch our sword tips!!!

26. The Following Member Likes This Post: