Favorite VH Album

II & WACF
    Favorite VH Song

HAIL & Simple Rhyme
    Last Online

12.09.18 @ 09:15 PM
    Liked 10,261 Times in 5,571 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by VH1988 View Post
    I’ve got an original press of Flexable on vinyl.
    I love that album!

"Salamanders in the sun" opens with what sounds like Sesame street music (the music
    they'd play when showcasing a clip of an animal).
    But i love the melody.

Viv Woman (Just go for it!)

Chronic Insomnia.

Junkie.

That album is so damn cool.
    Graver, Walking Ed, refugee from CVH & proud tone chaser...

2. The Following 2 Members Like This Post:

Favorite VH Album

1986 - 1996
    Favorite VH Song

5150, Cabo Wabo
    Last Online

12.10.18 @ 08:03 AM
    Liked 909 Times in 630 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by japeape View Post
    I love that album!

"Salamanders in the sun" opens with what sounds like Sesame street music (the music
    they'd play when showcasing a clip of an animal).
    But i love the melody.

Viv Woman (Just go for it!)

Chronic Insomnia.

Junkie.

That album is so damn cool.
    I love it too. My fave has always been “Call It Sleep”

Couldn’t believe when I saw it for $6.99 on vinyl last year. I bought that and Joe Satriani “Flying In A Blue Dream” on vinyl the same day last year. Both original press Relativity label.
    Eddie Van Halen in 2012:

"ESQ: What are you going to do with all the material that you wrote with Sammy Hagar?

EVH: Oh, I hadn't thought about that. That's some great music. They're just on vacation, maybe. They're off to college and they're going their own way. Who knows?"

Good Enough
    Last Online

12.08.18 @ 09:15 AM
    Liked 704 Times in 367 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by NDL View Post
    I am not giving you a hard time, but how many Prince's has society produced?

That said, I agree that the verdict is out. In the meantime, I am still impressed that he has mastered three instruments (although maybe I am easy to impress, being that I can't play anything).
    Heh alright, using Prince or even Kravitz as examples was a bit extreme, but my point was there's probably 1 in 100,000 talented multi-instrumentalists out there that can also write memorable tunes, especially in this day and age when it seems it's been all said and done, at least for guitar-based rock.

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Me Wise Magic & Summer Nights
    Last Online

12.09.18 @ 03:32 PM
    Liked 186 Times in 87 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by T.B. View Post
    Heh alright, using Prince or even Kravitz as examples was a bit extreme, but my point was there's probably 1 in 100,000 talented multi-instrumentalists out there that can also write memorable tunes, especially in this day and age when it seems it's been all said and done, at least for guitar-based rock.
    I've wanted to ask this question for a good while, but I never posed it, because no real answer can be given:

But heck...I can't play a guitar. At all. I know, being able to play an instrument is a matter of individual giftedness, degree of dedication, hours of practice. But just for the average person, who puts some time into learning how to play: how many years is it to 0-60? For the average person, who dedicates himself somewhat to the instrument...how many years would it take from not knowing how to play the instrument, to the point whereupon he could play an average song like Amsterdam?

When do you get to the point where the notes in your head, are driven down your arm, into your hand, and on the fretboard, with little thinking?

I've always wondered, but never asked, because I don't know if an answer could be given.
    "...as great a musician as Ed is, he really needs to be more prolific because we need more great music out there. There's a lot of bad music out there." - Sammy Hagar

"I don't think he owes us, and I think few if any do. What we would like is for him to release music, since he is our favorite musician. It's a wish and a hope, not a critique." - Dave's Dreidel

Atomic Punk Get The Show On The Road's Avatar
    Favorite VH Album

Van Halen
    Favorite VH Song

I'm The One
    Last Online

12.10.18 @ 08:44 AM
    Liked 13,895 Times in 7,340 Posts

Premium Member

I've wanted to ask this question for a good while, but I never posed it, because no real answer can be given:

But heck...I can't play a guitar. At all. I know, being able to play an instrument is a matter of individual giftedness, degree of dedication, hours of practice. But just for the average person, who puts some time into learning how to play: how many years is it to 0-60? For the average person, who dedicates himself somewhat to the instrument...how many years would it take from not knowing how to play the instrument, to the point whereupon he could play an average song like Amsterdam?

When do you get to the point where the notes in your head, are driven down your arm, into your hand, and on the fretboard, with little thinking?

I've always wondered, but never asked, because I don't know if an answer could be given.
    This is a really good question and I don't think there's really an answer because it depends on the person.

I had a roommate years ago who I tried to teach to play bass. We were working on Heartbresker by Zeppelin and for whatever reason he could not get the rhythm right. He could play the right notes but without the right rhythm it was a fucking mess. And for the life of me I couldn't understand how he couldn't hear it.

Compare that to my 7 year old who can't play an instrument but gets the rhythm to Hot For Teacher right by humming Ed's guitar parts. And he can accent Al's drumming. For whatever reason he hears the rhythms that my old roommate couldn't.

Listen to the YouTube of I'm The One. Some guys get it right and some sound terrible even though they're playing the right notes.

It took me about 6 months from picking up a guitar to stuff starting to "click" but even today after 25 years there's still stuff I can't play.
    The only genre I really know is Van Halen.

7. The Following Member Likes This Post:

NDL

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Hear About It Later
    Last Online

12.09.18 @ 11:29 PM
    Liked 1,793 Times in 1,007 Posts

Anyone who practices an hour a day will eventually get good. Of course more will get you there faster. I remember in my teens practicing about 4 hours a day. You improve really quickly when you practice like that.
    Little Dreamer

9. The Following Member Likes This Post:

NDL

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Panama
    Last Online

12.10.18 @ 05:01 AM
    Liked 8,327 Times in 5,999 Posts

Premium Member

Richie Sambora once said "The guitar is an honest friend... If you put in ten minutes of practice, then you're ten minutes better.." Mick Mars once said "Practice? Why? Don't you already​ know those licks?"
    I can see & understand both sides of that coin.
    "There's too many people on this basketball that's floating around the sun, who are too afraid to allow themselves to FEEL" - Edward Van Halen
    "Van Halen was never about the singer..." - a very wise fan.
    "Embrace the past. Live in the moment but keep your eyes on the future, and keep on moving forward..." - Richie Sambora

11. The Following 2 Members Like This Post:

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Last Online

Quote Originally Posted by Get The Show On The Road View Post
    This is a really good question and I don't think there's really an answer because it depends on the person.

I had a roommate years ago who I tried to teach to play bass. We were working on Heartbresker by Zeppelin and for whatever reason he could not get the rhythm right. He could play the right notes but without the right rhythm it was a fucking mess. And for the life of me I couldn't understand how he couldn't hear it.

Compare that to my 7 year old who can't play an instrument but gets the rhythm to Hot For Teacher right by humming Ed's guitar parts. And he can accent Al's drumming. For whatever reason he hears the rhythms that my old roommate couldn't.

Listen to the YouTube of I'm The One. Some guys get it right and some sound terrible even though they're playing the right notes.

It took me about 6 months from picking up a guitar to stuff starting to "click" but even today after 25 years there's still stuff I can't play.
    Quote Originally Posted by Little Dreamer View Post
    Anyone who practices an hour a day will eventually get good. Of course more will get you there faster. I remember in my teens practicing about 4 hours a day. You improve really quickly when you practice like that.
    Quote Originally Posted by RRvh1 View Post
    Richie Sambora once said "The guitar is an honest friend... If you put in ten minutes of practice, then you're ten minutes better.." Mick Mars once said "Practice? Why? Don't you already​ know those licks?"
    I can see & understand both sides of that coin.
    I really appreciate everyone's replies. So yeah, it's just as I thought: it's a combination of giftedness, and many hours of hard work. (Not surprising, but what I mean to say is that I am not going to put in an hour of practice a day, and in a year be able to play half of Van Halen's catalog).

We're y'all self taught? Was most of what y'all learned on your own, or did you sit under the instruction of someone who mastered the instrument?

13. The Following Member Likes This Post:

Favorite VH Album

II & WACF
    Favorite VH Song

HAIL & Simple Rhyme
    Last Online

I really appreciate everyone's replies. So yeah, it's just as I thought: it's a combination of giftedness, and many hours of hard work. (Not surprising, but what I mean to say is that I am not going to put in an hour of practice a day, and in a year be able to play half of Van Halen's catalog).

We're y'all self taught? Was most of what y'all learned on your own, or did you sit under the instruction of someone who mastered the instrument?
    The thing is you learn more rapidly, and absorb more stuff, if you start as a kid or young teen.

the older you get, the harder it is to start from scratch.

I remember making huge progress from 14-16 or 17.
    You just have the nervous energy of youth and a still forming skill set, so you
    just learn and retain faster.

Once you are fully grown, it's really difficult to start from scratch and become a VH.
    You could maybe get to an average/strummer level, a few blues licks...
    But you're not going to be a gunslinger.

You gotta start younger, and the guitar sort of becomes another limb.
    You're forming, and the guitar becomes part of your formation, in a way.

15. The Following Member Likes This Post:

NDL

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Last Online

Quote Originally Posted by japeape View Post
    The thing is you learn more rapidly, and absorb more stuff, if you start as a kid or young teen.

the older you get, the harder it is to start from scratch.

I remember making huge progress from 14-16 or 17.
    You just have the nervous energy of youth and a still forming skill set, so you
    just learn and retain faster.

Once you are fully grown, it's really difficult to start from scratch and become a VH.
    You could maybe get to an average/strummer level, a few blues licks...
    But you're not going to be a gunslinger.

You gotta start younger, and the guitar sort of becomes another limb.
    You're forming, and the guitar becomes part of your formation, in a way.
    Appreciate your time, and your honesty.

I guess I will stick with what I do best, which is that I listen to music
    "...as great a musician as Ed is, he really needs to be more prolific because we need more great music out there. There's a lot of bad music out there." - Sammy Hagar

"I don't think he owes us, and I think few if any do. What we would like is for him to release music, since he is our favorite musician. It's a wish and a hope, not a critique." - Dave's Dreidel

Favorite VH Album

II & WACF
    Favorite VH Song

HAIL & Simple Rhyme
    Last Online

Appreciate your time, and your honesty.

I guess I will stick with what I do best, which is that I listen to music
    I just don't want you to be too frustrated.

My brother in law bought an Alex Lifeson LP, and decided he was gonna learn at 52.
    I asked my nephew how his progress was going, and he said it just sits in it's case.
    He's too busy with stuff.

18. The Following Member Likes This Post:

NDL

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Panama
    Last Online

12.10.18 @ 05:01 AM
    Liked 8,327 Times in 5,999 Posts

Premium Member

I took lessons in the beginning, yet got bored pretty quickly... I mostly learned from guitar magazines, a few videos, playing by ear, and just 'noodling'.
    "There's too many people on this basketball that's floating around the sun, who are too afraid to allow themselves to FEEL" - Edward Van Halen
    "Van Halen was never about the singer..." - a very wise fan.
    "Embrace the past. Live in the moment but keep your eyes on the future, and keep on moving forward..." - Richie Sambora

20. The Following 2 Members Like This Post:

Last Online

12.07.18 @ 04:26 PM
    Liked 1,178 Times in 502 Posts

I never took guitar lessons... But I did take around 3 years of classical piano lessons in elementary school, so I had a pretty good understanding of music when I picked up a guitar at 14. My mom got me a tab book with Randy Rhoads on the cover. It had some of his solos and the scales he used. That literally was the only "formal" study I did. Once I learned that stuff, I just began emulating what I was listening to, mostly Ozzy/VH/Yngwie stuff. I still don't really know what I'm doing, but I've learned as long as you are in the right key, it sounds ok. The biggest part is the syncopation between the left and right hand. Once you get that down, its pretty easy to learn whatever.

~E

22. The Following 2 Members Like This Post:

Atomic Punk Get The Show On The Road's Avatar
    Favorite VH Album

Van Halen
    Favorite VH Song

I'm The One
    Last Online

12.10.18 @ 08:44 AM
    Liked 13,895 Times in 7,340 Posts

Premium Member

I pretty much taught myself.

I saw a TAB book and figured I could figure it out that way. And I bought some book that had a bunch of scales and chords and exercises in it and learned that way.

And I watched a lot of LWAN.
    The only genre I really know is Van Halen.

24. The Following Member Likes This Post:

NDL

Last Online

12.10.18 @ 08:39 AM
    Liked 3,865 Times in 1,504 Posts

Premium Member

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by Little Dreamer View Post
    Anyone who practices an hour a day will eventually get good.
    I disagree with this. "Good" is a subjective term, but lets just say "good" is enough for you to get paid to play a shitty bar gig.

There are plenty of people who will never be able to do that, even practicing an hour a day for 10 years. I've had multiple students who've taken lessons for years and will never pass a certain skill point. One in particular has zero ability to keep time. None, at all. He's been playing for longer than I have, he's still at the same level he's been for 10 years. He's still taking lessons every week, yet no progression. He's a great dude and has a passion for music and the instrument. He continues because he loves it, and its a non-destructive hobby, but it's going nowhere.

Why do I think this happens? I think there are a variety of gifts and skills that people can either be luckily born with or you can learn. I was essentially tone deaf when I started playing, was able to learn to overcome it. But people's brains have varying amounts of processing power. If your brain can't process pitch, time, (low level) theory, the rest of the band/instrumentation and the physical coordination required to play an instrument all at the same time then you're not going to get "good" - ever.

A higher functioning example of this would be a friend of mine who is an amazing player, but whenever he plays leads his face shuts down and he has to stand still. All his brain CPU is directed into his playing, everything else is put on pause.

To bring it full circle - Wolf was very obviously born with a proclivity for the skills (and brain CPU) for playing music. But he still had to put in the hours on the front end to reap the benefits of the gifts he was born with. He's quite obviously a great musician. Whether or not he's a great songwriter has yet to be seen.

26. The Following 4 Members Like This Post: