Register
Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678
    Last Online

12.11.18 @ 04:31 AM
    Liked 3,866 Times in 1,504 Posts

Premium Member

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by NDL View Post
    I appreciate your candor, although I am not surprised by your response.

All in all, I take it in stride...I am not geared towards one thing, I have been blessed in other ways.
    I just want to clarify that my observations were in a general sense and not directed at you. I obviously don't know you personally nor do I know what skills you're inclined towards. Nor do I think my personal take on the amount of given gift vs. earned skill should prohibit anybody from trying.

Similar to what others have said, I suck at sports. I'm just awful at them, all of them. In social circles when sports are brought up my wife says "We won't say he's not good at sports, we'll say he's musically inclined." - or if I goof catching/throwing a ball my wife goes "It's okay, he plays guitar well!" LOL. As you said, everybody has their gifts and blessings.

I looked back at some of your other posts and noticed the question was more in your own personal context. If you've never tried and have always had the desire then please, absolutely get yourself a guitar and give it a shot. There's no better time than now - there are endless free resources online via various websites and YouTube. And feel free to DM me or ask any questions you've got in the Guitar Room, the VHLinks guitar community would be more than glad to help.

2. The Following Member Likes This Post:

NDL

Favorite VH Album

The Magnificent 7
    Last Online

12.11.18 @ 03:23 AM
    Liked 14,893 Times in 8,432 Posts

Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by Pacfanweb View Post
    ^it's cool that her music touches you. That's what music is supposed to do.

However, what I'm talking about is actual skills and techniques that nobody has seen before or that have changed things from that point on.

She's not doing anything new there, but the way she's approached using and arranging existing styles/techniques, you like. Which is great.

My point is, what she is doing that is not a game-changer where everyone is going "Whoa, WTF is THAT?"

Like they did when they heard Eruption. Or when folks heard Johnny B Good. Or Elvis. Etc.

I don't see anything like that coming from Wolf, either. Although I'm happy to be proven wrong.

Even great players after EVH really haven't made anywhere near the impact EVH did. Yngwie is really fast and loves him some arpeggios. But do any casual fans (are there really any casual Yngwie fans anyway?) hear someone playing like that and go "he's copying Malmsteen"?

No. The guy's a great player and really fast, but he's just playing stuff that already existed, fast.

Tapping existed before EVH, but not like EVH does it. That, and his overall style and high-level playing and song writing was a magical combination, and nobody since, IMO has made such a splash on any of the traditional rock instruments.

Really, it's not even fair to compare anyone afterwards to EVH, but it's natural to do so, I guess.

That's why I say there's not really anything technique-wise, left to do on guitar/bass/drums that would be another game-changer like EVH was back in the day. Maybe one day someone with 7 fingers on both hands will come out and prove me wrong, lol.
    Have to disagree on Yngwie. The closest comparison to what Yngwie was doing was Al Dimeola ( not Uli Roth) and even that was very different from Yngwie's style. He's not just "playing really fast".

I agree with you on the above video. Great playing but it's nothing I haven't heard before when I used to devour music from fusion cats like Dimeola.

†"He has a swaggering retro machismo that will give hives to the Steinem cabal" -Camille Paglia on Donald Trump

"But, fucking with Brook is like fucking with hot shit on and ax handle. You just don't get a grip"-track5

"Make way for the bad guy"- Tony Montana

'This hamburger don't need no helper"- David Lee Roth

"I wish Bon Jovi would've given me a call before he recorded all of his hits, because the lyrics would've been smarter, the melodies would've been much more smashing, and they would've sold a lot fewer records." -David Lee Roth

"My beef is people thinking Bon Jovi is good cuz they sold lots of records to housewives." -tango

"But being number one doesnít really mean jack fuck all. We sold twice as many records as other records that year (1984) that landed in the Number One position." ~Eddie Van Halen

Last Online

12.07.18 @ 04:26 PM
    Liked 1,178 Times in 502 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Pacfanweb View Post

Even great players after EVH really haven't made anywhere near the impact EVH did. Yngwie is really fast and loves him some arpeggios. But do any casual fans (are there really any casual Yngwie fans anyway?) hear someone playing like that and go "he's copying Malmsteen"?

No. The guy's a great player and really fast, but he's just playing stuff that already existed, fast.
    I have to disagree with you my friend. There was nobody playing "Rising Force" type music on electric guitar before Yngwie. I am referring to Yngwie's 1st and 2nd solo album, nothing before or after.

And while they may have not been plastered all over MTV like the EVH clones, there were many guitar players who emulated Yngwie's style.

Here's some phenomenal players just off the top of my head who considered Yngwie a major influence:

Paul Gilbert
    Tony McAlpine
    Marty Friedman
    Vinnie Moore
    Jason Becker
    Nuno Bettencourt
    Chris Impelliteri

Yngwie's best work had nothing to do with speed at all.

Check out the song "Icarus Dream Suite, Op. 4"" & "Marching Out". No speed at all, yet considered some of his best work.

I don't want to get into a pissing match over Yngwie. I know most people don't like him, and he certainly lost his way post 1990.... But his 1st 4 albums (esp 1st one) have some of the most unique electric guitar playing ever recorded, ESPECIALLY since at a time 90%+ of guitar players were ripping off EVH.

~Peace
    ~Eric

5. The Following 2 Members Like This Post:

Favorite VH Album

The Magnificent 7
    Last Online

12.11.18 @ 03:23 AM
    Liked 14,893 Times in 8,432 Posts

Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by EJC View Post
    I have to disagree with you my friend. There was nobody playing "Rising Force" type music on electric guitar before Yngwie. I am referring to Yngwie's 1st and 2nd solo album, nothing before or after.

And while they may have not been plastered all over MTV like the EVH clones, there were many guitar players who emulated Yngwie's style, and were called out for doing such.

Yngwie's best work had nothing to do with speed at all.

Check out the song "Icarus Dream Suite, Op. 4"" & "Marching Out". No speed at all, yet considered some of his best work.

I don't want to get into a pissing match over Yngwie. I know most people don't like him, and he certainly lost his way post 1990.... But his 1st 4 albums (esp 1st one) have some of the most unique electric guitar playing ever recorded.

~Peace
    ~Eric
    It used to annoy me when I would hear people get all amped up over the Yngwie clones. Shit, Vinnie Moore was one of them and he's lucky Yngwie didn't sue his ass. LOL

He had one tune that was a complete rip off of "Black Star".
    †"He has a swaggering retro machismo that will give hives to the Steinem cabal" -Camille Paglia on Donald Trump

"But, fucking with Brook is like fucking with hot shit on and ax handle. You just don't get a grip"-track5

"Make way for the bad guy"- Tony Montana

'This hamburger don't need no helper"- David Lee Roth

"I wish Bon Jovi would've given me a call before he recorded all of his hits, because the lyrics would've been smarter, the melodies would've been much more smashing, and they would've sold a lot fewer records." -David Lee Roth

"My beef is people thinking Bon Jovi is good cuz they sold lots of records to housewives." -tango

"But being number one doesnít really mean jack fuck all. We sold twice as many records as other records that year (1984) that landed in the Number One position." ~Eddie Van Halen

Last Online

Quote Originally Posted by bklynboy68 View Post
    It used to annoy me when I would hear people get all amped up over the Yngwie clones. Shit, Vinnie Moore was one of them and he's lucky Yngwie didn't sue his ass. LOL

He had one tune that was a complete rip off of "Black Star".
    Lol.. Funny story. I sat next to Vinny and his GF at an Ace Frehley show in Atlantic City end of 2014.
    I believe they (Ace & Vinny) were using the same drummer.

It was nowhere near sold out and we hung out in the back. I was headbanging with his GF. I got all excited and "starstruck" and came home and ordered all his shit off Amazon. So he made a few bucks off me that nite I guess. Super nice dude though.

8. The Following Member Likes This Post:

NDL

Eruption
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Humans Being
    Last Online

12.10.18 @ 11:33 PM
    Liked 799 Times in 449 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Brett View Post
    Very few fat slobs are professional bowlers guys. It takes a lot of stamina, a lot of strength and exercise to be able to hoist a 16-lb ball 20 mph down a lane like 2,000 times a week on the most difficult conditions. Most of the great bowlers are in great shape, theyíre also very athletic, so whatever idea you have that bowling at that level doesnít require you to be in a good shape is incorrect. I was in my early 20ís and the grind was so difficult on my body, and Iím a thin guy. I was icing my arm everyday, my legs and wrist would be killing me, not to mention blisters and whatever other little things you get on a daily basis. I was in pain like every day it was very hard on me.

When you are bowling at that level it is a very physically and mentally stressful. When you are bowling against the best of the best you canít make any mistakes and you have to be on top of your game every fucking shot.

The thing about bowling is that even a shitty bowler can get lucky once or twice and shoot a big game but the trick is of course is to be able to do it every time and on very tricky lane conditions where if you miss your spot left or right, you are fucked. Iíve had average bowlers beat me in a one-off game, it happens. Itís one game. Of course then I get serious and pummel them after that.
    I was not saying Bowlers are fat slob beer drinkers. My point was just because a person who fits that description can bowl, means NOTHING as to weather itís a sport. Idiotic opinion if thatís what someone thinks.

10. The Following Member Likes This Post:

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Hear About It Later
    Last Online

12.10.18 @ 03:55 PM
    Liked 1,798 Times in 1,010 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Destructo3 View Post
    I was not saying Bowlers are fat slob beer drinkers. My point was just because a person who fits that description can bowl, means NOTHING as to weather it’s a sport. Idiotic opinion if that’s what someone thinks.
    Except maybe Walter Sobchak, he could've lost a bit of weight. Great bowler, although with a bit of a temper. Cares a lot about the rules.
    Little Dreamer

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

12.11.18 @ 12:42 AM
    Liked 14,382 Times in 6,260 Posts

Default :::Wolf On Drums

Quote Originally Posted by Destructo3 View Post
    I was not saying Bowlers are fat slob beer drinkers. My point was just because a person who fits that description can bowl, means NOTHING as to weather itís a sport. Idiotic opinion if thatís what someone thinks.
    Oh no worries dude I know you were and I was just pointing out that the stigma that pro bowlers are all big fat slobs is just not true. Maybe it was 50 years ago but not when I was on tour in the early 90s and definitely not now.
    Webmaster
    VHLinks.com - Your Van Halen Internet Resource Guide
    http://www.vhlinks.com

JamToThis.com
    Audio/Video Trading Community
    Tons of Van Halen!

Favorite VH Album

diver down
    Favorite VH Song

drop dead legs
    Last Online

12.11.18 @ 04:39 AM
    Liked 3,131 Times in 1,915 Posts

Premium Member

Dick Weber

Sent from my SM-S327VL using Tapatalk
    EVH 1979: Well, actually it's not much of a vacation, because we run everything ourselves. We design our own album cover, we have to be in the office every day to sign checks - the whole corporation revolves around us. Nothing can be done without our approval. We even have photo approval.

Last Online

Walter

15. The Following Member Likes This Post:

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Me Wise Magic & Summer Nights
    Last Online

12.10.18 @ 03:22 PM
    Liked 186 Times in 87 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Jedi McFly View Post
    I just want to clarify that my observations were in a general sense and not directed at you. I obviously don't know you personally nor do I know what skills you're inclined towards. Nor do I think my personal take on the amount of given gift vs. earned skill should prohibit anybody from trying.
    Absolutely Jedi. While I appreciate the sentiment behind the above quote, nothing you wrote could be misconstrued as belittling, or less than complementary. Nor could anything that anyone wrote be construed as discouraging.

I asked for everyone to give me an honest assessment, and y'all did. I would much rather honesty, than for y'all to have told me that picking up an instrument is a piece of cake.

In the end, I recognize that we're all blessed with different gifts and abilities. Try as I might, I have a hard time thinking that the music that's in my head and heart, can somehow be transmitted down my arms, and into my fingers.

Y'all were quite fair and gracious, in answering my question.

Quote Originally Posted by Jedi McFly View Post
    I looked back at some of your other posts and noticed the question was more in your own personal context. If you've never tried and have always had the desire then please, absolutely get yourself a guitar and give it a shot. There's no better time than now - there are endless free resources online via various websites and YouTube. And feel free to DM me or ask any questions you've got in the Guitar Room, the VHLinks guitar community would be more than glad to help.
    Your offer of help was/is most kind. Many thanks .
    "...as great a musician as Ed is, he really needs to be more prolific because we need more great music out there. There's a lot of bad music out there." - Sammy Hagar

"I don't think he owes us, and I think few if any do. What we would like is for him to release music, since he is our favorite musician. It's a wish and a hope, not a critique." - Dave's Dreidel

17. The Following Member Likes This Post: