Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Last Online

07.17.19 @ 10:52 PM
    Liked 3,648 Times in 2,292 Posts

Donor

True enough. I can’t begrudge others for digging boots. It’s just not my cup o tea. I’m lucky I’ve seen VH and Rush a lot live. The Police tho...only twice and that only during the reunion tour in 07 and 08. Never got to see them back in their prime, but I’ve never sought out any boots. Just can’t be the same.

That reminds me tho...I forgot one of my absolute fave live albums is Certifiable from the O7 08 reunion tour. I’m sure it’s doctored up the ying yang but I do dig the sound and it does actually sound like they did on the reunion tour.

Favorite VH Album

all 7
    Favorite VH Song

ATBL & The Full Bug
    Last Online

07.09.19 @ 11:38 PM
    Liked 2,656 Times in 1,225 Posts

Reminds me- I actually made my own official live VH album years ago on cassette tape before cds even came out....

I recorded the audio from the 3 live videos from '79 & '81, & the 3 tunes from the US Festivals Showtime radio brodcast....

1- Dance The Night Away
    2- You're No Good
    3- Bottoms Up
    4- Unchained
    5- So This Is Love?
    6- Hear About It Later
    7- Runnin' With The Devil
    8- Pretty Woman
    9- You Really Got Me
    10- Happy Trails

That's a 10 song mix tape a little over 30 minutes. Good quality official released live audio.

To this day thats all we get from the original band. Haha.

Damn good they did those 2 3 packs from '79 & '81....but why the hell didnt they do the same thing putting out 3 live videos again in 1980, 1982, & 1984.

Ugh.

Favorite VH Album

WOMEN AND CHILDREN FIRST/ADKOT
    Favorite VH Song

EVERYBODY WANTS SOME!!
    Last Online

07.17.19 @ 09:22 PM
    Liked 13,186 Times in 7,143 Posts

Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by Heisenberg View Post
    Agreed- Greensboro '81 has long been one of my top 5 favorites. Mainly because of the unique beginning...I guess Mike broke a string right off the bat & they improvised out of the gate....love the way David yells " Greensboro!!!"...one hell of an entrance.

But I'm not so sure you guys understand the orgin of these kind of bootleg recordings. They do not come from the band. Most are from bootlegers that record the shows with single microphone tape recorders. They can not " clean them up for official release".

" Soundboard" recordings do not mean they were recorded through an actual soundboard....it means the tape recorder was at the soundboard. In many cases they are recorded by the bands crew referred to as " show tapes" for the band to listen & critiqué their performances. One of the big bootleg superfans in Holland stated that Alex told him they recorded all the shows for this reason. But again...these are single microphone tape deck recordings.

Those UK '78 bootlegs were evidently recorded by one of the guys the Black Sabbath crew with the tape deck on the stage.

I agree- Tuscan' 79 is a dynamite show. Great sound recording.

But - It's actually one of Alex's worst nights....he's very sloppy, missing beats, slowing down & speeding up, he's all over the place on that show.

That's one of the things that make it fun to listen to these kinda bootleg recordings. To hear the differances from various shows.
    Lol, disagree about Alex on Tucson. To each their own.

And definitely disagree that none of these shows could be cleaned up and released. The ones I listed already sound better than both RHRN and Tokyo Dome.

4. The Following Member Likes This Post:

Favorite VH Album

all 7
    Favorite VH Song

ATBL & The Full Bug
    Last Online

I like these kind of thread topics. Good work Snowdog for posting the old magazine quotes.

Kinda funny to read some of EVH's interviews from back then & see how certain things pop up from time to time throughout the years.

Heres another one from a 1987 issue of Guitar For The Practicing Muscician article by John Stix.

Check out EVH's comment about Ice Cream Man.

Last edited by Heisenberg; 11.23.18 at 10:46 PM.

Favorite VH Album

all 7
    Favorite VH Song

ATBL & The Full Bug
    Last Online

Quote Originally Posted by JUNGLE DRUMMER View Post
    And definitely disagree that none of these shows could be cleaned up and released.
    Who is going to " clean it up" ? How are they going to " clean it up" ? Who & what are " they" going to do? How is a bootleg originating from German bootleggers going to be officially released by the VH band?

I attempted to explain the actual artists are not the source of many bootleg recordings. Tuscan '79 & most other bootlegs are not from VH.

Before VH recorded ADKOT EVH reached out to an old sound man & requested bootleg show tape recordings. They didnt already have them. Theres stuff they didnt know about.

The Gene Simmons 1976 demos EVH just recently aquired as Gene offered the master tapes as incentive to gain permission to release the other demos for his box set.

Those Gene Simmons demos leaked years ago most likely from someone who was given a copy directly from Gene.
    Last edited by Heisenberg; 11.23.18 at 11:08 PM.

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Panama
    Last Online

07.17.19 @ 10:58 PM
    Liked 8,920 Times in 6,404 Posts

Premium Member

I had the house to myself last night, and actually played disc 1 from the RHRN release. I still really enjoy those times and that version of the band. A lot of good music and a LOT of fun memories!
    "There's too many people on this basketball that's floating around the sun, who are too afraid to allow themselves to FEEL" - Edward Van Halen
    "Van Halen was never about the singer..." - A very wise fan.
    "Embrace the past. Live in the moment but keep your eyes on the future, and keep on moving forward..." - Richie Sambora

Favorite VH Album

WOMEN AND CHILDREN FIRST/ADKOT
    Favorite VH Song

EVERYBODY WANTS SOME!!
    Last Online

07.17.19 @ 09:22 PM
    Liked 13,186 Times in 7,143 Posts

Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by Heisenberg View Post
    Who is going to " clean it up" ? How are they going to " clean it up" ? Who & what are " they" going to do? How is a bootleg originating from German bootleggers going to be officially released by the VH band?

I attempted to explain the actual artists are not the source of many bootleg recordings. Tuscan '79 & most other bootlegs are not from VH.

Before VH recorded ADKOT EVH reached out to an old sound man & requested bootleg show tape recordings. They didnt already have them. Theres stuff they didnt know about.

The Gene Simmons 1976 demos EVH just recently aquired as Gene offered the master tapes as incentive to gain permission to release the other demos for his box set.

Those Gene Simmons demos leaked years ago most likely from someone who was given a copy directly from Gene.
    Hey it's fine if you think VH doesn't have ANY old shows recorded in their possession. I happen to disagree with that assertion.

Lol, and AGAIN, several of those shows out there already sound better than the two official live releases we have.

9. The Following Member Likes This Post:

Last Online

07.17.19 @ 10:42 PM
    Liked 1,069 Times in 570 Posts

Premium Member

They got so much shit recorded in the dumb vault etc. Fuckin' shit! Both band versions even. But, let us not forget that Eddie says they don't. LOL. Out.
    Quin-a-se-i-co

You're a dick for putting ian on "ignore" DIF

"You stupid fuck!" Seen

"Well if you saw it, stats and scientific studies be damned!" Lovemachine 97 v. 2.

" that's so pussy ass" Brook.

Favorite VH Album

all 7
    Favorite VH Song

ATBL & The Full Bug
    Last Online

Quote Originally Posted by JUNGLE DRUMMER View Post
    Hey it's fine if you think VH doesn't have ANY old shows recorded in their possession. I happen to disagree with that assertion.

Lol, and AGAIN, several of those shows out there already sound better than the two official live releases we have.
    I was referring specifically to the bootlegs mentioned in this thread.....

Of course its inevitable VH do indeed have live stuff....it would be stupid to think otherwise...theres documented proof of audio recordings from Oakland 1981 listed in Pacific Archives.....

Famous Japanese Concert Promoter Mr. Udo has been alleged to have always recorded the shows he presented stipulated in contracts. All the way back to Led Zeppelin. I have photos of a camera man filming VH in Japan 1978.

But I never said I dont think VH dont have shows in their possession.....I was trying to explain that the bootlegs you were reffering to such as Tucsan '79 & Greensboro '81 are from bootleggers... Not the actual band.

Good Enough Dont disturb my Paradise's Avatar
    Favorite VH Album

5150. F.U.C.K
    Favorite VH Song

5150. Right now
    Last Online

07.10.19 @ 05:47 AM
    Liked 306 Times in 175 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by snowdog View Post
    Just finished remodeling my house, going through tons of old stuff in boxes as I'm setting up my new music room and such. Anyway, grabbed a stack of guitar magazines last night and opened one from 1993. There's an article with Eddie about the new live album.

Holy crap, it's so weird to go back and actually re-read stuff after it's been debated 1000 times over around here. So what do you guys make of these quotes from Eddie? Copied word for word.

GW - "Why did Van Halen wait until now to release a live album?"

EVH - "Well, people have been asking us for one ever since our first album came out in 1978. But after our last tour, Alex and I mixed a radio concert special for Westwood One. It sounded pretty good on the radio, and that gave us the bug to do a live album. So we dug back through the tapes from the '86, '88, '91, and '92 tours. It all sounded pretty good, but basically we went for the takes that had the most magic. There were probably some takes that had more perfect precision playing, but that wasn't what we were looking for. We just wanted to deliver the real live thing. We didn't fix anything."

GW - "No edits or overdubs?"

EVH - "No. None of that. And another reason we did this album is because we get bootlegged so often. That wasn't the main reason we did it, but I would sure rather have people listening to a live record that sounds good and which really represents us than a crummy bootleg."

GW - "Do you listen to a lot of the Van Halen bootlegs?"

EVH - "No. People send them to me all the time, but I know what they sound like: They're bullshit. It takes a good mobile recording truck and about 100 grand to record a show. For someone to think they can get the same thing off one of these [pointing to my cheap little cassette recorder] is ridiculous."

GW - "Did you ever consider using material from the David Lee Roth period?"

EVH - "No, because we didn't record live shows back in those days. I don't mean to sound like an asshole or anything, but there was no reason to record that stuff. We never thought of putting out a live album with Dave, because you had to be there live and experience the visual side of it in order to appreciate the performance. Without the visual, the audio on its own was... well, you know what I mean. Sammy's more of a musician, as opposed to a lead singer/front man kind of guy."

"We didn't fix anything" is a pretty definitive statement. A long way from what we generally think now.

His comments on bootlegs are exactly what I've said every time someone here argues that there's no point in releasing live stuff because there are bootlegs on youtube already anyway. Yeah, and they're absolute crap quality compared to an official release... you should want your band represented well.

I've also heard before just like above that RHRN is a compilation live album from all tours from 86-92. Is that really true? I thought it was virtually all FUCK tour and principally from Fresno. Are there actual performances on there from 86 and 88? Can someone specify those for me?

He definitively states that they simply didn't record shows on the first 6 tours. No wiggle room there. Does anyone believe that? And if Dave could only be appreciated 40 years ago visually then how can they justify releasing audio-only of him only three years ago???? It's exactly what I said when Tokyo was released, I enjoy the show a lot, but why, especially in an age where the concert bluray is the default standard for a modern live album, would they release only a live album that only highlights Dave's weaknesses without any of the showmanship?

Ugh.... these guys. So fucking great but yet so fucking frustrating.
    I go through my scrapbooks and old VH mags all the time. There’s a RHRN interveiw from RIP and Ed says basically everything that’s above, but more. He said he wanted it as live as “Live at Leeds” and “Rockin the Fillmore”. Plus he was hell bent it was totally live and no overdubs. Man reading these words by Ed and then Sammys book makes you scratch your head. Could’ve Sammy been fabricating???? Who knows???
    What is understood need not be discussed

"Dont disturb my paradise. I've asked you once. I've asked you nice" - "SERIOUS JU JU"

"I am in a blissful state. Dont bug me!!!" - Richard Dreyfuss "The Goodbye girl" 1977

Favorite VH Album

all 7
    Favorite VH Song

ATBL & The Full Bug
    Last Online

Heres a Youtube channel who is in possesion of the master tapes.....I havent gotten around to checkimg out too much yet but eatched DLR Detroit 86 as I have the VHS from years ago & this is absolutly fantastix quality so far as bootlegs go....

Heres US Festival....much better than the VHS tape I have....I havent watched it all yet....but looks pretty freakin good.....

Top Of The World
    Favorite VH Album

I-II-WACF-FW-DD-1984-ADKOT
    Favorite VH Song

Hear About It Later
    Last Online

07.15.19 @ 11:04 PM
    Liked 81 Times in 51 Posts

Any of you bootleg connoisseurs want to take a stab at " best bootleg for each tour"?

I don't have the interest to listen to every show out there, would just like one representative of each tour.
    "I think good rock music is more than profanity, screeching vocals, wailing guitars and pounding drums. " Dick Hogan-Music Reviewer

Favorite VH Song

Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love
    Last Online

07.17.19 @ 02:12 PM
    Liked 2,412 Times in 1,479 Posts

I loved getting bootlegs when I was younger. It was a way of hearing the band in its early years since I never got to see them live back then. Plus, you get to hear something that was unique to that show. Maybe part of a cover or a killer lick in the middle of a song or solo.
    Remember the Heroes - 9/11/01

In 2012, the phoenix has risen!!

"High speed, low drag."

"Look at all the people here tonight!!!" - 10/5/07, 5/20/08 Mohegan Sun

Congratulations to Van Halen as part of the Class of 2007 Rock and Roll Hall of Fame!

Cinco de Cabo @ Foxwoods: "A giant party with live music" - S. Hagar

got tequila?

http://keepitaliveforever.com

16. The Following Member Likes This Post:

Favorite VH Album

Balance
    Last Online

07.17.19 @ 03:54 PM
    Liked 170 Times in 88 Posts

I love good live recordings. Pearl Jam release and sell all of their shows. I saw them last time they were here and then had the show downloaded soon after. Wish VH would adopt that model.

Baluchitherium
    Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Drop Dead Legs
    Last Online

07.17.19 @ 07:16 PM
    Liked 3,822 Times in 1,927 Posts

You guys are discussing whether or not you think there are old pro recordings but Eddie himself categorically stated they didn't even record those tours with Dave because they weren't worth listening to. That would certainly explain why we've never gotten an official live album from the original band either back then or recently as an archive release.

So is it just a flat out blatant lie? He could have just as easily said "we prefer to highlight the current version of the band" or "we didn't have time to go through all the old tapes" or "I wasn't as happy about our performances back then" or something. But he chose to say they just don't exist.