Register
Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: NAMM 2019

Good Enough
    Last Online

02.20.19 @ 05:23 PM
    Liked 3,582 Times in 1,577 Posts

Premium Member

I always liked the finishes Sadowsky out of Brooklyn puts on their instruments.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Last Online

02.20.19 @ 03:52 PM
    Liked 1,451 Times in 616 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Darrin Stephens View Post
    I always liked the finishes Sadowsky out of Brooklyn puts on their instruments.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
    His nephew Derek was on my football team in HS!

Super nice kid.

~E

3. The Following Member Likes This Post:

Favorite VH Album

WACF
    Favorite VH Song

As Is
    Last Online

02.15.19 @ 03:12 PM
    Liked 228 Times in 125 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Dutchie5150 View Post
    I guess I should post photos of the others too...

Holy cow. That first finish is an 80's guitar player's dream. It looks like it should be covered in Lisa Frank Stickers.

5. The Following 2 Members Like This Post:

Last Online

02.20.19 @ 05:34 PM
    Liked 121 Times in 69 Posts

A Wolfgang doesnít look right without zebra pickups. And yes- ditch the black hardware.

7. The Following 3 Members Like This Post:

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Album

Van Halen
    Favorite VH Song

I'm the One
    Last Online

02.20.19 @ 04:54 PM
    Liked 1,527 Times in 831 Posts

By all accounts these are great guitars but it has to be asked: how did the most exhilarating force in rock guitar, who's guitars were the living embodiment of his fire, frenzy and eye-catching bedazzling end up turning out the most boring-looking guitars of the past 40 years? Dull designs, dull colours - old men guitars when he was still in his 30s WTF?

Last Online

There's only so much you can do with an electric guitar. I always thought Ed's designs were a nice mixture of a Strat and Les Paul with a bit of Tele thrown in visually. That said, yeah IDK about all the different colors. I have 1 Wolfgang. It's zillaburst. Great workhorse Axe. I couldn't justify buying others because they are different colors. If you have a black strat, why would you buy a red one? It's the same guitar. Same goes for the Wolfgangs. Again, its all just marketing and Ed is trying to make whatever $$$ he can. Like I've said in the past, I'd be all for a single humbucker Strat style EVH guitar WITHOUT stripes. I can only assume they don't want to cannibalize any Charvel sales since it's essentially the same thing.

~E

10. The Following Member Likes This Post:

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Push comes to shove
    Last Online

02.20.19 @ 11:05 AM
    Liked 1,288 Times in 795 Posts

Premium Member

Donor

I have a 2012 USA grey Stealth Wolf--it sure ain't no old man's guitar LOL
    I have a 2009 USA Vintage White Wolf--while it looks a bit laid back it is by far the hottest heaviest guitar I have ever owned. Next would be the Purple USA Peavey Wolf--that thing is a tone monster and just sings..... I also have a 2012 MIJ Tabacco Burst--it is the easiest guitar to play--just flat out awesome
    Old man's guitars is all about the player I guess---they just don't strike me in such a way
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants."

ďA patriot must always be ready to defend his country against his government.Ē

12. The Following Member Likes This Post:

Eruption
    Favorite VH Album

For Unlawful Carnal Knowledge
    Favorite VH Song

Mine All Mine
    Last Online

02.20.19 @ 09:54 AM
    Liked 1,002 Times in 509 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by EJC View Post
    I couldn't justify buying others because they are different colors. If you have a black strat, why would you buy a red one? It's the same guitar. Same goes for the Wolfgangs.

~E
    Me and my dozen wolfgangs are triggered

14. The Following Member Likes This Post:

Last Online

02.20.19 @ 05:27 PM
    Liked 4,282 Times in 1,627 Posts

Premium Member

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by evhintexas View Post
    I have a 2012 USA grey Stealth Wolf--it sure ain't no old man's guitar LOL
    I have a 2009 USA Vintage White Wolf--while it looks a bit laid back it is by far the hottest heaviest guitar I have ever owned. Next would be the Purple USA Peavey Wolf--that thing is a tone monster and just sings..... I also have a 2012 MIJ Tabacco Burst--it is the easiest guitar to play--just flat out awesome
    Old man's guitars is all about the player I guess---they just don't strike me in such a way
    For real, these things are anything but "old men guitars." They're monster guitars. Some of the finish options have just been weak as of recent.

More and better transparent finishes, switching back to chrome hardware all around, and some new pickup options are what the Wolfgang needs. There's an EVH Signature model now, let that be built to Eddie's exact personal spec. But on regular models there should be options for different tones. Most specifically HH with a 5-way switch, HSH with a 5-way switch, or HSS.

If you have a black strat, why would you buy a red one? It's the same guitar. Same goes for the Wolfgangs.
    I could understand having a few, mainly because I do. I've got a steal on an EVH Standard to use as a modding platform (5-way switch installed), my Tobacco Burst Special for that flame top feel, and then I have a black Peavey USA Standard that is basically retired. I may add another traditional Wolfgang to my stable with a different fretboard wood, or I may build an HSH one some day. But they all offer something different to me. I think same goes for any guitar, a few subtle tweaks can justify a different axe.
    Last edited by Jedi McFly; 01.11.19 at 10:09 AM.

16. The Following 2 Members Like This Post:

Last Online

Exactly. Black hardware just SCREAMS 80s import metal guitar to me. HSH or at least HH with coil tap should not be a big deal to have as a standard option. Something other than maple on the Standards. More Fixed Bridge models. A 7 string model perhaps... I'm sure it all comes down to profit margins and Fender doesn't want to have to do anything different. Just slap together the same guitars and use different colors. Not much to get excited about in my opinion...

18. The Following Member Likes This Post:

Favorite VH Album

VHII
    Favorite VH Song

Light up the Sky
    Last Online

02.20.19 @ 05:09 AM
    Liked 492 Times in 204 Posts

Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by Jedi McFly View Post
    For real, these things are anything but "old men guitars." They're monster guitars. Some of the finish options have just been weak as of recent.

More and better transparent finishes, switching back to chrome hardware all around, and some new pickup options are what the Wolfgang needs. There's an EVH Signature model now, let that be built to Eddie's exact personal spec. But on regular models there should be options for different tones. Most specifically HH with a 5-way switch, HSH with a 5-way switch, or HSS.

I could understand having a few, mainly because I do. I've got a steal on an EVH Standard to use as a modding platform (5-way switch installed), my Tobacco Burst Special for that flame top feel, and then I have a black Peavey USA Standard that is basically retired. I may add another traditional Wolfgang to my stable with a different fretboard wood, or I may build an HSH one some day. But they all offer something different to me. I think same goes for any guitar, a few subtle tweaks can justify a different axe.
    I have a few Wolfgangs myself, and even unmodded, I found they all have different voicing. My B/W Striped Wolfgang sounds very different than my Stealth Special. I find the chrome HDW sounds different than the black HDW (I’ve posted this observation here before). Also the ebony neck seems to add a darker tone than the maple.

My wife always asks me why I need so many Wolfgang guitars, I argue that each guitar has its own voice. Then I ask her how many pairs of shoes does she have. Lol

It’s also nice to have a few for alternate tunings (concert pitch versus e flat or DADGAD etc.)
    Last edited by ScottyBHarris; 01.11.19 at 01:02 PM.

20. The Following 2 Members Like This Post:

Romeo Delight
    Favorite VH Album

Van Halen
    Favorite VH Song

Beautiful Girls
    Last Online

02.19.19 @ 08:48 PM
    Liked 24 Times in 9 Posts

Like I've said in the past, I'd be all for a single humbucker Strat style EVH guitar WITHOUT stripes. I can only assume they don't want to cannibalize any Charvel sales since it's essentially the same thing.

~E

This!

I can't decide if a Charvel or Striped would be better for me. I'd rather have alder than basswood. But I don't want the Floyd to be recessed, and all of them are on the Charvels.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Push comes to shove
    Last Online

02.20.19 @ 11:05 AM
    Liked 1,288 Times in 795 Posts

Premium Member

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by Scottz View Post
    This!

I can't decide if a Charvel or Striped would be better for me. I'd rather have alder than basswood. But I don't want the Floyd to be recessed, and all of them are on the Charvels.
    I have a 2009 USA Charvel San Dimas that is not recessed
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants."

ďA patriot must always be ready to defend his country against his government.Ē

Romeo Delight
    Favorite VH Album

Van Halen
    Favorite VH Song

Beautiful Girls
    Last Online

02.19.19 @ 08:48 PM
    Liked 24 Times in 9 Posts

Current models are recessed, as least all the ones I've seen.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

02.20.19 @ 03:59 PM
    Liked 15,301 Times in 6,629 Posts

Default NAMM 2019

Iíll be honest Iím not a fan of the Fender Wolfgangs. I just didnít think the ones Iíve played over the years felt like nice guitars. Just had a very importish, cookie-cutter feel to them, Iíve just never been impressed. Same goes for the Striped Series. I know a lot of you guys love them and I really donít mean any offense, it is just my opinion on them. We all have our own tastes. Iíve tried to like them, I really have. I just think the Peavey Wolfs are superior instruments, especially the earlier years. And the EBMMs blow them both away.
    Webmaster
    VHLinks.com - Your Van Halen Internet Resource Guide
    http://www.vhlinks.com

JamToThis.com
    Audio/Video Trading Community
    Tons of Van Halen!

25. The Following 5 Members Like This Post: