Favorite VH Album

For Unlawful Carnal Knowledge
    Favorite VH Song

Mine All Mine
    Last Online

12.09.18 @ 06:41 AM
    Liked 992 Times in 504 Posts

Default Don't Buy Rockman Gear

So I stumbled into a music store one town over after my drummer suggested I visit while I was at his office. Looking around the shop making small talk with the owner, nice guy, but nothing really catches my eye..

Then I see the effect/pedal counter, and there's a bunch of cool vintage stuff in there but I'm not really looking for new pedals right now....hiding in the corner under a bunch of junk, there's this unit:

"Hey, does this Rockman work?"
    "That thing? Just like new"
    "Sold. Can I try it before I leave?"

I got an incredible deal on it, I'd feel bad if I bought it just to sell it was so good.

I bring it home and fiddle with the signal chain, eventually realizing I should just take the 5150 out and stick this in it's place, running what was previously the effects loop straight into my mixer before going to two powered monitors.

Holy crap. This thing sounds amazing. Needed EQ tweaking on the mixer, but wow. I could use this in the rack and not need my 5150 out of the house.

Too bad I don't have a footswitch to control the boost on the unit, and it's fairly one dimensional....but there's a solution to that.

I did a quick refresher of my knowledge of the Rockman gear, and I looked around the bay and the verb for a few minutes before spending four times what I paid for the purchase this afternoon on three additional Rockman rack mount units. A Sustainor, Chorus/Delay combo (both of which were refurbed two years ago!), and a octopus midi controller (which takes a midi message and uses 1/4 TRS plugs to go into the other rockman units to short the footswitch input, changing effects/channels/boosts.

So don't do what I did. One purchase might lead to many more... Looking forward to getting the whole rig wired up.

Sorry for the click-bait title, and if I'm 30 years late on this Rockman thing

2. The Following 2 Members Like This Post:

Eruption
    Favorite VH Album

Zero thru FW
    Favorite VH Song

One Sky Control Movies
    Last Online

12.07.18 @ 12:33 PM
    Liked 630 Times in 399 Posts

That's a cool blast from the past!
    I remember when the original Rockman's came out.
    Tom Scholz really helped popularized the high gain plus chorus sound.
    It was a tiny box that clipped on the guitar strap, and was a pun on Sony's Walkman personal cassette player.
    I think Tom Scholz's second big invention was the Powersoak attenuator.
    Then they started making those individual modules like you have, which when combined, made for a much more tweakable Rockman.

BTW, great thread title
    Why behave in public...if you're livin' on a playground !

4. The Following Member Likes This Post:

Favorite VH Album

Pirates of the Carribean
    Favorite VH Song

How Many Say Aye?
    Last Online

12.11.18 @ 04:49 PM
    Liked 2,542 Times in 1,330 Posts

Premium Member

Donor

Had a chance to buy an original belt clip unit for $10 in a used gear bin years ago. Bought an Ibanez sound tank tube screamer instead. Yeah, that worked out well. If I could go back Id kick my own tail.
    -TVH-

There seems to be some perverse human characteristic that likes to make easy things difficult. -Warren Buffett

If there must be trouble, let it be in my day, that my child may have peace. -Thomas Paine

What is government itself but the greatest of all reflections on human nature? - James Madison

Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the Government take care of him better take a closer look at the American Indian. - Henry Ford

6. The Following Member Likes This Post:

Favorite VH Album

VHII
    Favorite VH Song

Light up the Sky
    Last Online

12.10.18 @ 04:31 PM
    Liked 434 Times in 184 Posts

Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by Yaminub View Post
    So I stumbled into a music store one town over after my drummer suggested I visit while I was at his office. Looking around the shop making small talk with the owner, nice guy, but nothing really catches my eye..

Then I see the effect/pedal counter, and there's a bunch of cool vintage stuff in there but I'm not really looking for new pedals right now....hiding in the corner under a bunch of junk, there's this unit:

"Hey, does this Rockman work?"
    "That thing? Just like new"
    "Sold. Can I try it before I leave?"

I got an incredible deal on it, I'd feel bad if I bought it just to sell it was so good.

I bring it home and fiddle with the signal chain, eventually realizing I should just take the 5150 out and stick this in it's place, running what was previously the effects loop straight into my mixer before going to two powered monitors.

Holy crap. This thing sounds amazing. Needed EQ tweaking on the mixer, but wow. I could use this in the rack and not need my 5150 out of the house.

Too bad I don't have a footswitch to control the boost on the unit, and it's fairly one dimensional....but there's a solution to that.

I did a quick refresher of my knowledge of the Rockman gear, and I looked around the bay and the verb for a few minutes before spending four times what I paid for the purchase this afternoon on three additional Rockman rack mount units. A Sustainor, Chorus/Delay combo (both of which were refurbed two years ago!), and a octopus midi controller (which takes a midi message and uses 1/4 TRS plugs to go into the other rockman units to short the footswitch input, changing effects/channels/boosts.

So don't do what I did. One purchase might lead to many more... Looking forward to getting the whole rig wired up.

Sorry for the click-bait title, and if I'm 30 years late on this Rockman thing
    I had an original RockMan back in the 90s, I loved it.

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Panama
    Last Online

12.11.18 @ 06:59 PM
    Liked 8,327 Times in 5,999 Posts

Premium Member

Nice score on the gear, Dave!
    I used to be a guitar clerk in a music shop, so I got to see and check out all kinds of gear. The Rockman stuff was always fun and easy to use. I had one of those walkman type practice deals with headphones and it was pretty neat. I actually learned Don't Tell Me (What Love Can Do) in its entirety, by ear, using that unit.

Neat that Eddie's old half rack Smart Gate units are essentially now the pedal sized MXR Smart Gate.
    "There's too many people on this basketball that's floating around the sun, who are too afraid to allow themselves to FEEL" - Edward Van Halen
    "Van Halen was never about the singer..." - a very wise fan.
    "Embrace the past. Live in the moment but keep your eyes on the future, and keep on moving forward..." - Richie Sambora

9. The Following Member Likes This Post:

Eruption
    Favorite VH Album

For Unlawful Carnal Knowledge
    Favorite VH Song

Mine All Mine
    Last Online

12.09.18 @ 06:41 AM
    Liked 992 Times in 504 Posts

Update- They're really good. Just gotta rack them and put the EQs into the signal chain when I have time Monday.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Girl Gone Bad
    Last Online

12.11.18 @ 06:52 PM
    Liked 1,480 Times in 771 Posts

Premium Member

One of my mates still has one of the strap mounted jobs.

I still have it's poor cousin. It still powers up but i haven't plugged into it for years.

People will agree with you only if they already agree with you. You do not change people's minds. - Frank Zappa

12. The Following Member Likes This Post: