Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register

View Poll Results: Will Eddie speak to Sammy and/or Mike again before they all die?

Voters
64. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, he will speak to both of them at some point

26 40.63%
  • He will speak to Sammy, not to Mike

0 0%
  • He will speak to Mike, not to Sammy

10 15.63%
  • No, they will all die never talking again

28 43.75%
Save
Page 41 of 41 FirstFirst ... 3138394041
    Favorite VH Album

The First One
    Favorite VH Song

I'm The One
    Last Online

08.21.19 @ 06:37 AM
    Liked 24,011 Times in 13,654 Posts

Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by CaboChris View Post
    Wow. Way to throw 47 under the bus. I did not know this. My brutha from another mutha...
    "It's so lonely at the top because it's so crowded at the bottom" - Diamond David Lee Roth

"The truth sounds like hate to those who hate the truth" - Todd Wagner

"Women and Children First ... The REAL Van Halen III"

Little Dreamer
    Last Online

08.19.19 @ 05:27 PM
    Liked 13 Times in 8 Posts

You shoulda been there. Really.

All we were doing was going to see an Extreme show. No big deal, right? But this one was different.

When Extreme came out, Gary said it would be a little short, but we’d be glad. We had no idea what that meant, but the band started up with “Decadence Dance,” “It’s a Monster,” “Rest In Peace” and “Am I Ever Gonna Change.” Extreme was good for what they were back in the day and although I think most of their reputation comes from the Freddie Mercury Tribute Concert, it was fun.

They played some old stuff, “Play With Me” and “Kid Ego,” they played the hits, “More Than Words” and “Hole Hearted.” Then Gary said he’d like to introduce an old friend to help sing this last song and introduced Sammy freaking Hagar. I don’t think Sam took “Get the Funk Out” as seriously as he should have, but it’s a great song and it was fun to see him with Extreme.

Then he and Gary kept talking, usually away from the microphone. Sam picked up an acoustic guitar and said he’d like to play a little, if we’d let him. None of us in the audience knew what was going on, but ok. Sammy started playing the guitar and found his way to “Little White Lie.” Not too many people knew the song, but he did a good job of making about him singing with the guitar, and then Nuno and the boys kicked in with the hard rock section. Even the people who didn’t know the song clapped.

Then Sam introduced his friend Mikey and said he’d like to play some more. Ok, whatever. I don’t know if that was Paul on drums or Jason Bonham, but they ripped into “Finish What You Started,” “Heavy Metal,” “I Can’t Drive 55,” “Rock Candy” and “There’s Only One Way To Rock.” This wasn’t what we’d expected when purchasing tickets for an Extreme concert, but I didn’t see many people walk out either.

Sam slowed things down with “Three Lock Box,” “Mas Tequila,” “Eagles Fly” and an enjoyable version of “Cabo Wabo.” As we finished chanting “Cabo,” he started talking about change and how hard people worked just to get back to the place they started from. If you know Sam, you know he likes to talk. The lights had dropped out except for one spotlight on him, but as he talked, a guitar started playing. It was weird, but somehow familiar. It’s like the guitar was playing a keyboard riff. The guitar sounded familiar too, but none of us dared to dream what might happen next.

Two quick cymbal taps and suddenly the band kicked off into “Won’t Get Fooled Again.” The lights came up and it was Van Hagar reunited. This couldn’t be real, but here it was. Seriously, you shoulda been there.

They rocked all the way. Then at the climax, Eddie started playing that long keyboard riff on the guitar and the lights faded again. On and on it went, until Al hit the drums. And again. Then a third time. Then Sammy did his best Roger Daltrey impression and the lights came back, only there was someone else on center stage. He was bald, wore a goofy costume and his grin had been embalmed on his face for decades.

“Meet the new boss,” David Lee Roth sang, “Same as the old boss.”

You would not believe how loud the applause was. You’d think the crowd had already reached peak applause at that point, but if you were there, you know how wrong you’d be to think that. The stage went black again. After a few minutes, a light came back showing a silhouette of someone who could only be Eddie Van Halen, and he was playing “Eruption.”

Better Van Halen fans than I might question how well or accurately he played it, but for the rest of us who’d been on this magical journey to this point, it was Eddie Van Halen playing “Eruption.” He finished the solo and when the lights came back, there was Van Hagar again playing “Best of Both Worlds.” Wolfie was on keyboards and back-up vocals. Gary and Nuno were helping out too.

After that came “Poundcake” and then ‘the love songs’ as Sammy called them when “When It’s Love” started. “Why Can’t This Be Love,” “Dreams” and “Right Now” followed before a stomping version of “Top of the World.” We all felt like that at the moment. Honest to God, you shoulda been there.

Mikey and Alex alternated short solos as Sammy said it was great to be playing for us. Very briefly and graciously, he introduced David Lee Roth and walked off-stage. There was nothing left to say.

Dave gave us the usual set. I can’t tell you how well he sang, but it was such an honor to be there that night. I did write down each song. They did “Unchained,” “Running With the Devil,” “Everybody Wants Some,” “Somebody Get Me a Doctor,” “Dance the Night Away,” “And the Cradle Will Rock,” “Hot for Teacher,” “Beautiful Girls,” “Ice Cream Man,” “Panama,” “Ain’t Talkin’ ‘Bout Love” and then “Jump.”

Most of “Jump” was a straightforward recreation of the studio original. That’s fine, I think it’s one of the most perfect pop songs ever made. I wouldn’t care if it was first released by Milli Vanilli, it’s just perfect, and this was a decent live recreation. But after the bridge, it started to fall apart because everybody was getting back on stage.

It couldn’t be called a “duet” between Sam and Dave because everybody was singing and playing. Extreme, the Circle, Wolfie. You could tell me that Joe Satriani and Mark Stone were there and I wouldn’t know it, nor would I care. It wasn’t a song so much as a giant free-for-all. You shoulda been there. It was awesome.

Then they did it again, but with a far simpler song. Once we heard those chords introducing “You Really Got Me,” we realized that this was what it was all about. It was kind of sloppy, but no one really cared. The audience sure didn’t (although I think a few might have been drinking.) “Jam session” would be a polite way to put it, but thay pounded the chorus “You Really Got Me” into the ground and then took a dump on it.

The last thing I recall from the show was after they’d finally stopped playing, when Dave was hanging onto Sammy and Eddie and blurted out into a microphone “I’d like to say thank you on behalf of the group and ourselves and… aw, fuck it, won’t be seeing us no more. Thank you, beautiful people, we love you!”

And then they were gone.

You shoulda been there. Lots of great songs and it was a good time overall. I’m sure they’ll release it on video sooner or later. For those of you who missed it, it was awesome.

Last Online

08.21.19 @ 11:59 AM
    Liked 3,857 Times in 2,439 Posts

Donor

It was a great show.

Little Dreamer
    Last Online

You weren't there, you don't know! Pix or it didn't happen!

Last Online

08.21.19 @ 11:59 AM
    Liked 3,857 Times in 2,439 Posts

Donor

What are you talkin' about. I was runnin' the soundboard for the whole fucker.

After the gig, I got double BJ's from Dave AND Gary. I got pix of that.

Little Dreamer
    Last Online

I'd like to take back that 'pix or it didn't happen' thing. Please don't feel any obligation to prove it. I beg you.

Favorite VH Album

1986 - 1996
    Favorite VH Song

5150, Cabo Wabo
    Last Online

08.18.19 @ 04:01 PM
    Liked 1,582 Times in 1,067 Posts

How come I donít see the actual poll anywhere?

Favorite VH Album

WOMEN AND CHILDREN FIRST/ADKOT
    Favorite VH Song

EVERYBODY WANTS SOME!!
    Last Online

08.21.19 @ 11:30 AM
    Liked 13,448 Times in 7,288 Posts

Premium Member

It should be at the top of the screen with 4 choices to pick from.

Good Enough
    Last Online

08.21.19 @ 08:44 AM
    Liked 1,151 Times in 418 Posts

Question answered long ago...

Favorite VH Album

1986 - 1996
    Favorite VH Song

5150, Cabo Wabo
    Last Online

08.18.19 @ 04:01 PM
    Liked 1,582 Times in 1,067 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by JUNGLE DRUMMER View Post
    It should be at the top of the screen with 4 choices to pick from.
    Yeah itís not there for me. Must be something in my settings.

I think theyíll talk and make peace but likely will never work together.