WOMEN AND CHILDREN FIRST/ADKOT
    Favorite VH Song

EVERYBODY WANTS SOME!!
    Last Online

08.25.19 @ 01:01 AM
    Liked 13,467 Times in 7,297 Posts

Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by fudd View Post
    See that’s a nice explanation instead of being a condescending prick. You Aussies have shit figured out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Ah well, some people are just miserable and pathetic, presenting their OPINIONS on subjective matters like music as facts that should NEVER be questioned as they are so incredibly smarter than everyone else. People like that deserve our pity, but certainly not our respect.

And if the "general consensus" is the only thing that matters, then I guess we should all stop with this nonsense of EVH being the greatest guitarist ever, since Hendrix is regarded EASILY as the GOAT, so much so that there isn't even supposed to be any debate on the matter.

2. The Following Member Likes This Post:

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

EVERYBODY WANTS SOME!!
    Last Online

Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by japeape View Post
    In a weird way, i've always thought of Alex Lifeson as the Big Al to Peart's "Eddie."

So many consider Lifeson to be this monster guitar player, and he may well be, but
    i've always found him to be a bit sloppier than both Geddy & Neil.
    His soloing is cool, but can be erratic.

And it's wrong of me to think this, because the guy has command & insane ability.
    But like Al, i just never saw him as this incredible player.

I know i'm wrong, btw.
    At least you're able to admit you're wrong once in awhile.

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

EVERYBODY WANTS SOME!!
    Last Online

Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by japeape View Post
    Was never a huge RUSH guy, but there's no denying Peart is of the very elite in rock drumming.
    His fills are just meticulous & dramatic, he seems to have no limits, and is very professor-like
    with his abilities.

Personally, maybe it's the German in me, but that's the kind of drumming i'm impressed by.

I've always loved Alex, he's a huge factor in that CVH sound, but i never regarded him as
    a monster percussionist like Peart or Copeland.

But that's more on me, or my perception of virtuosic drumming.

Al had this looser, jazzier quality.
    You can hear it in the beginning of RD, or the drum solo in LUTS.
    That LUTS one fit, but always struck me as weird & jazzy, as a kid.

A Peart would take that spot & just dazzle with meticulous speed & fills.
    But Alex kinda just bopped along, which fit and made sense with the way VH rolls.
    That's actually a pretty good description on the differences in styles. Some people love the more meticulous and specific playing, some love the looser more improvisational type playing. Both styles have their merits, and Peart is definitely in my top 10 all time favorites, but I do prefer playing that is less scripted, so to speak.

This is why I loved Alex's playing on the first 5 or 6 tours the best, because he was always changing it up and rarely if ever playing any song exactly the same night after night. I know you love that Tuscon 79 boot, and that's a perfect example of the way Al played nightly on those early tours. All over the kit, seemingly with an endless supply of energy and ideas, and playing a whole lot busier than anything on any VH studio album. That actually is really what CVH, as a whole band, was live back then. Just a rollicking freight train always seeming to almost be on the verge of going off the rails, yet actually in total command of their craft. The true epitome of a tight band.

5. The Following Member Likes This Post:

Last Online

08.24.19 @ 11:06 PM
    Liked 3,867 Times in 2,448 Posts

Donor

Hendrix is the greatest guitar player ever to the world, yes. Duh. Eddie is the best guitar player to VH fans. To the world? No. I donít agree with it, I think Eddie outplays Jimi. There are, no doubt, a number of known or unknown guitarists who play circles around Eddie.

People have trouble distinguishing preference versus consensus. Itís not an opinion that the world thinks Jimi is the greatest ever, itís a fact. Itís not a fact that I think Eddie is the best ever, itís my opinion. Do I wish more people thought like me? No, I donít really care what the world thinks. But my opinion isnít the consensus.

Lots of people think their minority opinion is more accurate than consensus. Me included. But majority perception dictates history, which dictates eventually what becomes reality.

Why people get so personally offended by realistic observations based on worldwide cultural evidence, is only a result of fanboyism.

Iím glad I can see VH objectively. Otherwise Iíd get super disappointed in them way too much lol. If I based my sleep patterns on how VH is perceived by the world at large, Iíd lose a lot of sleep.

Atomic Punk Get The Show On The Road's Avatar
    Favorite VH Album

Van Halen
    Favorite VH Song

I'm The One
    Last Online

08.25.19 @ 07:18 AM
    Liked 16,125 Times in 8,475 Posts

Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by Van Squalen View Post
    Whoops. Physician, heal thyself.

If it's just specific to me, just come right out and admit it.

Me saying Alex isn't in the legendary tiers of Peart, Bonham, Rich, or Moon wasn't being a condescending prick, fwiw. You can disagree all you like. But I wasn't bashing anyone in my initial post. Conversely, your admonition that you would address shit starting at its source seems to be invalid.
    It is specific to you. It is they way you choose to word things. It is condescending and you've been told this numerous times by multiple posters.

Learn to be a little more respectful of differing views and a lot of this crap will stop.
    Last edited by Get The Show On The Road; 10.22.18 at 05:03 AM.
    The only genre I really know is Van Halen.

Sinner's Swing!
    Last Online

08.25.19 @ 07:40 AM
    Liked 4,277 Times in 1,901 Posts

Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by Get The Show On The Road View Post
    It is specific to you. It is they way you choose to word things. It is condescending and you've been told this numerous times by multiple posters.

Learn to be a little more respectful of differing views and a lot of this crap will stop.
    That assumes stopping the nonsense is a sincere goal. History seems to be a display of a piece of human garbage that really does not have that shared interest.

If you treat folks like shit for years and then stunned you are not afforded the same level of patience you are either insincere or just lack an understanding of humans in a shocking manner.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

9. The Following 2 Members Like This Post:

Baluchitherium
    Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Drop Dead Legs
    Last Online

08.25.19 @ 07:23 AM
    Liked 3,839 Times in 1,938 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by JUNGLE DRUMMER View Post
    That's actually a pretty good description on the differences in styles. Some people love the more meticulous and specific playing, some love the looser more improvisational type playing. Both styles have their merits, and Peart is definitely in my top 10 all time favorites, but I do prefer playing that is less scripted, so to speak.

This is why I loved Alex's playing on the first 5 or 6 tours the best, because he was always changing it up and rarely if ever playing any song exactly the same night after night. I know you love that Tuscon 79 boot, and that's a perfect example of the way Al played nightly on those early tours. All over the kit, seemingly with an endless supply of energy and ideas, and playing a whole lot busier than anything on any VH studio album. That actually is really what CVH, as a whole band, was live back then. Just a rollicking freight train always seeming to almost be on the verge of going off the rails, yet actually in total command of their craft. The true epitome of a tight band.
    Exactly, there's no right or wrong, it's just what appeals to you. While I love both I typically prefer a more compositional approach to music in general. Even with guitar solos I usually prefer a compositional and crafted approach to a spontaneous one. And that's the biggest appeal of Peart's drumming to me, it is incredibly structured and compositional. The drum parts are pieces of music, not just time-keeping. Even not being a drummer I can listen to any piece of his drumming with no music on top and immediately tell exactly what song it is. That may not be the purist "rock" approach though and I get why that wouldn't appeal to many people. What's funny though is his biggest idol is Keith Moon who couldn't have been more the opposite, haha!

11. The Following Member Likes This Post:

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen II
    Favorite VH Song

Dance the Night Away
    Last Online

05.08.19 @ 09:10 AM
    Liked 4,223 Times in 2,233 Posts

Hendrix is the greatest guitar player ever to the world, yes. Duh.
    Jimi wasn't even the best guitar player in the world when he was alive. Joe Pass, Chet Atkins, Andre Segovia and John Williams were alive then too. Wes Montgomery died in 1968 at least.

13. The Following Member Likes This Post:

Last Online

Donor

Lol. The master race speaks once again despite taking a number of stands on how heíll never engage me again because heís Ďaboveí all that.

And yet, even when Iím not here, somehow you and your circle jerk manage to be in the thick of shit storms nonetheless. Itís right there in the thread histories.

It ainít me. Itís you. Nothing you say will change that. Remember...you donít care how many people bailed from here because of you idiots. They were Ďthin-skinnedí and Ďshouldíve held their ground if they liked the site so much.í Direct quotes from you.

ďLearn to be a little more respectful of differing views and a lot of this crap will stop.Ē

Sound familiar?

You lightweights donít intimidate me. Iím just here to talk VH. If you donít like my takes ignore them. If you slag, expect commensurate reaction. But thatís what you really want letís face it. You thrive in this shit. I bet a million bucks if I poked my head in the political thread Iíd see the same shit from you. And hey...I wouldnít be involved. And yet itíd still be going on. Funny how that works.

Btw...Did I really catch a statement from you down in non outside the political forum about not caring who was here in this country before the Europeans? Lol. Son, youíve got a long ways to go.

Preaching to me about how to word things is ironic coming from someone who routinely uses offensive language. First tend to your own house.

Atomic Punk Get The Show On The Road's Avatar
    Favorite VH Album

Van Halen
    Favorite VH Song

I'm The One
    Last Online

08.25.19 @ 07:18 AM
    Liked 16,125 Times in 8,475 Posts

Premium Member

Lol. The master race speaks once again despite taking a number of stands on how he’ll never engage me again because he’s ‘above’ all that.

And yet, even when I’m not here, somehow you and your circle jerk manage to be in the thick of shit storms nonetheless. It’s right there in the thread histories.

It ain’t me. It’s you. Nothing you say will change that. Remember...you don’t care how many people bailed from here because of you idiots. They were ‘thin-skinned’ and ‘should’ve held their ground if they liked the site so much.’ Direct quotes from you.

“Learn to be a little more respectful of differing views and a lot of this crap will stop.”

Sound familiar?

You lightweights don’t intimidate me. I’m just here to talk VH. If you don’t like my takes ignore them. If you slag, expect commensurate reaction. But that’s what you really want let’s face it. You thrive in this shit. I bet a million bucks if I poked my head in the political thread I’d see the same shit from you. And hey...I wouldn’t be involved. And yet it’d still be going on. Funny how that works.

Btw...Did I really catch a statement from you down in non outside the political forum about not caring who was here in this country before the Europeans? Lol. Son, you’ve got a long ways to go.

Preaching to me about how to word things is ironic coming from someone who routinely uses offensive language. First tend to your own house.
    Ha ha. You just can't help yourself, can you? This is coming from a guy who has said he's never coming back here on numerous occasions, yet here you are.

Yawn.

So boring.

You can thank me for giving you something to get your jollies off on.

Fucking loser...
    Last edited by Get The Show On The Road; 10.22.18 at 10:36 AM.
    The only genre I really know is Van Halen.

16. The Following 2 Members Like This Post:

Favorite VH Album

Alex, Dave, Ed and Mike
    Favorite VH Song

The songs with Ed on them
    Last Online

08.25.19 @ 05:43 AM
    Liked 26,030 Times in 13,141 Posts

Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by RRvh1 View Post
    I loved Jim in 'About Last Night' and also the tv sitcom 'According to 'Jim'. Obviously not his brother, yet respectable.
    He slayed in that movie. Only reason to really watch it.
    If I don't respond to you it means I have you on ignore, which means you are a douchenozzle.

Emperor Brett - "I can't believe you guys are analyzing song-by-song Van Halen III? What next, analyzing the script of Stroker Ace looking for some shred of Citizen Kane?"

David Lee Roth did the impossible. He made Van Halen better. Deal with it!

A man's rights rests in three boxes: the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box

Hurricane Halen - Let's all gingery touch our sword tips!!!

18. The Following 2 Members Like This Post:

Last Online

Donor

Ha ha. You just can't help yourself, can you?

Yawn.

So boring.

You can thank me for giving you something to get your jollies off on.

Fucking loser...
    I didnít respond to you. You responded to me. Who canít help themselves?

Whoops. I see you edited your post to include another scathing indictment of my absences. Good one! Original and cutting. Powderpuff trolling at best, kid.

And with that, Iíll stop hashing you and end with a recent quote from an earnest linker looking to seek peace within these hallowed halls.

ďMaybe learn to be a little more respectful of differing views and a lot of this crap will stop.Ē

Last edited by Van Squalen; 10.22.18 at 10:49 AM.

Favorite VH Album

Fair warning, 5150
    Favorite VH Song

HAIL, love walks in, 5150
    Last Online

@
    Liked 7,716 Times in 3,859 Posts

Donor

Another thread ruined by Squalen.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

21. The Following 4 Members Like This Post: