Eruption
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Humans Being
    Last Online

10.19.19 @ 10:52 PM
    Liked 966 Times in 533 Posts

Off topic just a little but Iím curious what makes Alex one of the best of all time. Interested in the the opinions of the non players as much as the drummers here like JD,

For me,íitís a combination of that mesmerizing snare sound that he admitted he was going for a Bonam feel and sound but still was uniquely his. He nailed it for me. His trademark sound can only be compared to guys like Pert, Copeland, and several others Including Bonam of course.

Iím torn on Keith Moon. He changed or advanced drumming, but his playing was not tectonically proficient like Alex and Pert, (and MANY Moore). He was sloppy and kind of all over the place.Then again the horse tranquilizers couldnít have helped. Curious what the old time greats like Buddy Rich felt about him. Which increased my respect for Pert when he took the time to learn from these greats long after he had nothing left to prove. Paying respect to the legends AND knowing he could still learn so much from them.

Back to Alex, he was able to attack yet sound almost virtuoso doing so. Has there ever been a guitarist so connected to the lead guitarist? They were on the same page sonseemlessly. Maybe Pert and Lifeson were close but they lacked that chemistry Alex and Eddie have always had. When I was younger it was Eddie and Neil, hands down the best. As I learned more or understood more, hard to put anyone as a duo over the Van Halenís.Going back and listening a lot more mature, I really learned and am blown away how tight the sound was. Hard to really explain Al making his drumming fit and match Eddieís otherworldly playing. At 16 my mind was blown. At 53, itís hard to fathom what they did. Alexís
    fills seems impossible the way he matches step for step Eddies ALIEN playing. Just no other term that fits for me.

I guess playing alone, maybe Neil has an edge. (MAYBE) With the much harder guitar duo, not even close. Eddie and Alex dominate.Put ANYONE with Eddie raw or just starting out and good luck getting anything close.Alex was also an alien the way he matached Eddieís generous.

WOW. That all Iím left with.

3. The Following Member Likes This Post:

Last Online

10.19.19 @ 11:37 PM
    Liked 4,204 Times in 2,672 Posts

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by Destructo3 View Post
    But to conclude the reverse is true and Ed didn’t teach and help Mike is equally idiotic IMO.
    LOL, why? Because Ed is God and can play any instrument with absolute expertise? Hardly.

Ed's a shitty bass player. Mike can play circles around Eddie with the boom stick. It's common knowledge. Guitar players make for shitty bass players.

But if you're actually alluding to the fact that bands offer suggestions in a symbiotic fashion, person to person, rhythm to lead and lead to rhythm, of course you're right. In that vein, Ed's been told many times...and shown....how to play something a certain way, in respected and cordial fashion. Dave's done it. Alex has done it. Ted's done it, Mike's done it, Sam's done it, the techs and engineers have done it. That's what being in a band is about. Patchwork sum of all parts. Dave's been offered suggestions how to sing, Mike's been offered suggestions how to play, Ed's been offered suggestions how to play, Al's been offered suggestions how to play. By anyone and everyone in the sessions.

And, uh...in no way is Alex comparable to Peart, Bonham, Moon, Rich, Baker, or Copeland. Not even close. No industry drummer would claim that. He is rarely in any top 10 drummer lists, not that that matters. He's obviously going to be a fave of fanboys hereabouts, for obvious reasons. Heck, I love Alex's fills and rhythm, he's absolutely one of my faves. But legendary...not so much. That said, few legends truly crack the top ten of influential drummers, a good half of which tend to be jazz drummers.

Good Enough
    Last Online

10.19.19 @ 04:12 AM
    Liked 80 Times in 38 Posts

Al is so solid on just about everything. Hard to really know with him. My guess would be 1984. Not only is he attacking songs like Eddie, but it just seemed like his playing was a bigger part of more songs. Personally, Iíd go with VHII. So underrated for so many reasons.

Good catch on Mikey liking Fair Warning. Clearly Mike played most of those base parts. Remember Ed made a dumb statement to justify kicking out a prince of a guy. Heís justifying it by focusing on a couple memories of suggesting parts to Mike or showing him how he may consider playing something. Does that mean Ed taught him every note? Of course not. But to conclude the reverse is true and Ed didnít teach and help Mike is equally idiotic IMO.
    Well written and agree. Especially the Ed/Mike bass observation in paragraph two...
    "People say Cream gave birth to Heavy Metal," says Baker. "If that's so, we should have had an abortion."

Favorite VH Album

WOMEN AND CHILDREN FIRST/ADKOT
    Favorite VH Song

EVERYBODY WANTS SOME!!
    Last Online

10.19.19 @ 10:19 PM
    Liked 13,820 Times in 7,518 Posts

Premium Member

Off topic just a little but Iím curious what makes Alex one of the best of all time. Interested in the the opinions of the non players as much as the drummers here like JD,

For me,íitís a combination of that mesmerizing snare sound that he admitted he was going for a Bonam feel and sound but still was uniquely his. He nailed it for me. His trademark sound can only be compared to guys like Pert, Copeland, and several others Including Bonam of course.

Iím torn on Keith Moon. He changed or advanced drumming, but his playing was not tectonically proficient like Alex and Pert, (and MANY Moore). He was sloppy and kind of all over the place.Then again the horse tranquilizers couldnít have helped. Curious what the old time greats like Buddy Rich felt about him. Which increased my respect for Pert when he took the time to learn from these greats long after he had nothing left to prove. Paying respect to the legends AND knowing he could still learn so much from them.

Back to Alex, he was able to attack yet sound almost virtuoso doing so. Has there ever been a guitarist so connected to the lead guitarist? They were on the same page sonseemlessly. Maybe Pert and Lifeson were close but they lacked that chemistry Alex and Eddie have always had. When I was younger it was Eddie and Neil, hands down the best. As I learned more or understood more, hard to put anyone as a duo over the Van Halenís.Going back and listening a lot more mature, I really learned and am blown away how tight the sound was. Hard to really explain Al making his drumming fit and match Eddieís otherworldly playing. At 16 my mind was blown. At 53, itís hard to fathom what they did. Alexís
    fills seems impossible the way he matches step for step Eddies ALIEN playing. Just no other term that fits for me.

I guess playing alone, maybe Neil has an edge. (MAYBE) With the much harder guitar duo, not even close. Eddie and Alex dominate.Put ANYONE with Eddie raw or just starting out and good luck getting anything close.Alex was also an alien the way he matached Eddieís generous.

WOW. That all Iím left with.
    Alex is very well respected and an influence on many drummers, not just VH diehards. To say hes not even close to the likes of some of the great rock drummers in history, as was said in this thread, is ignorant at best. Or a cute attempt at shit stirring. I'll just leave it at that.

If you'd like to continue any conversation on Al, feel free to PM me any time.

7. The Following Member Likes This Post:

Favorite VH Album

diver down
    Favorite VH Song

drop dead legs
    Last Online

10.20.19 @ 01:37 AM
    Liked 3,943 Times in 2,401 Posts

Premium Member

Listen to any You Tube videos of Ed playing without Al even on Beat It. The Letterman shows. Its not the same. Al is the glue that holds the VH sound together similar to Bonham and Zep.
    EVH 1979: Well, actually it's not much of a vacation, because we run everything ourselves. We design our own album cover, we have to be in the office every day to sign checks - the whole corporation revolves around us. Nothing can be done without our approval. We even have photo approval.

9. The Following 2 Members Like This Post:

Favorite VH Album

Fair warning, 5150
    Favorite VH Song

HAIL, love walks in, 5150
    Last Online

@
    Liked 7,953 Times in 3,997 Posts

Donor

Default Have the various members of Van Halen ...

Still donít see the adulation for Peart. Not only do I think that Al is better but that heíd be the weak link to that list. However, lists are subjective and what not, personally Ringo holds time better than anyone.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by fudd; 10.21.18 at 11:13 AM.

11. The Following Member Likes This Post:

Favorite VH Album

WOMEN AND CHILDREN FIRST/ADKOT
    Favorite VH Song

EVERYBODY WANTS SOME!!
    Last Online

10.19.19 @ 10:19 PM
    Liked 13,820 Times in 7,518 Posts

Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by fudd View Post
    Still don’t see the adulation for Peart. Not only do I think that Al is better but that he’d be the weak link to that list. However, lists are subjective and what not, personally Ringo holds a best better than anyone.

Peart is incredible on a technical level. But the tone of his drums, especially his snare, at times is a bit sterile IMO. And he doesn't compare to Al in any way when it comes to swing and feel. Again, as you said, this is all subjective.

Yes, Al doesn't get the press that he deserves, but the guy has also NEVER tooted his own horn or promoted himself. But, when great drummers like Mike Portnoy, Eric Singer, Charlie Benante, Joey Jordison, just to name a few off the top of my head, routinely name Alex as a major influence on them then you know actual musicians know and respect him.

And when I listen to live boots like Tuscon 79, I'll put Al's speed and power up with anybody. But, theres never been a VH studio album that really represented how he routinely flew all over the kit live on the early tours. And it must also be pointed out that he is one of the few drummers who always managed to have a different sound on every album.

Last Online

Donor

Lol. Nobody who really knows skins puts Al up against Peart or Rich. Nobody. Fan forum fictions are important to some though lol.

Favorite VH Album

Fair warning, 5150
    Favorite VH Song

HAIL, love walks in, 5150
    Last Online

@
    Liked 7,953 Times in 3,997 Posts

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by Van Squalen View Post
    Lol. Nobody who really knows skins puts Al up against Peart or Rich. Nobody. Fan forum fictions are important to some though lol.
    I donít know drums. Not do I care to. I play guitar.

How about this, I think Peart and Rush suck. His drums sound thin and his snare sounds like shit. Heard all their stuff and donít really see why theyíre so regarded. Not fan fiction I just donít like them. If you want to poke fun and lol have at it.

Last Online

Donor

Good for you. How about this. Itís fine to have personal preference. I have my own. For example, I like Alex Van Halen better then I like Bonzo or Ginger Baker. Thatís my preference. However, beyond my preference thereís a general reality created by general consensus. Iím not dumb enough to actually believe reality dictates that the world perceives Alex VH as much a legendary drummer as Peart or Bonzo. Alex himself would never say heís as legendary as Bonzo.

I doubt youíve listened to much Rush if you think all his sound is thin lol. But thatís fine, youíre entitled to your opinion. In the worldís music lexicon however, itís a minority one. Good on you for bucking the status quo but...itís not reality.

I can have a favorite band and still objectively know where they stand in reality. Iím a multi tasking sumbitch.

And btw...your so called fair and balanced new world order seems to have skipped a beat. Again. Surprise. If youíre going to give them a pass, thatís on you, not me. I expressed a POV, not singular to any one poster, and was hashed personally. Easy peasy. I couldíve responded. I chose not. How about that.

Favorite VH Album

The First One
    Favorite VH Song

I'm The One
    Last Online

10.19.19 @ 10:46 PM
    Liked 24,466 Times in 13,903 Posts

Premium Member

Alex Van Halen is obviously an outstanding drummer, but he will always be overshadowed by his little brother.

Bonham was awesome and Peart is amazing.
    "It's so lonely at the top because it's so crowded at the bottom" - Diamond David Lee Roth

"The truth sounds like hate to those who hate the truth" - Todd Wagner

"Women and Children First ... The REAL Van Halen III"

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

I'm the One
    Last Online

10.20.19 @ 03:22 AM
    Liked 2,582 Times in 1,229 Posts

Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by I Coulda Hada VH View Post
    Alex Van Halen is obviously an outstanding drummer, but he will always be overshadowed by his little brother.

Bonham was awesome and Peart is amazing.
    Can you imagine being as respected and revered in your profession as Alex is, yet your sibling still overshadows you?

Where else is that the case? Jim Belushi isn't really any good, he's John's brother. Same with so many others. Trying to make an analogy. Maybe Eli Manning?

Favorite VH Album

The First One
    Favorite VH Song

I'm The One
    Last Online

10.19.19 @ 10:46 PM
    Liked 24,466 Times in 13,903 Posts

Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by DRFC View Post
    Can you imagine being as respected and revered in your profession as Alex is, yet your sibling still overshadows you?

Where else is that the case? Jim Belushi isn't really any good, he's John's brother. Same with so many others. Trying to make an analogy. Maybe Eli Manning?
    Eli Manning has beaten Tom Brady in the Super Bowl. Twice.

How about Randy Quaid losing the genetic lottery to his younger brother, Dennis?
    "It's so lonely at the top because it's so crowded at the bottom" - Diamond David Lee Roth

"The truth sounds like hate to those who hate the truth" - Todd Wagner

"Women and Children First ... The REAL Van Halen III"

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Panama
    Last Online

10.20.19 @ 12:59 AM
    Liked 9,109 Times in 6,551 Posts

Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by I Coulda Hada VH View Post
    Eli Manning has beaten Tom Brady in the Super Bowl. Twice.

How about Randy Quaid losing the genetic lottery to his younger brother, Dennis?
    Dennis banged Meg Ryan, yet Randy is immortal as 'Cousin Eddie'.
    Too bad he had a downward spiral...
    "There's too many people on this basketball that's floating around the sun, who are too afraid to allow themselves to FEEL" - Edward Van Halen
    "Van Halen was never about the singer..." - A very wise fan.
    "Embrace the past. Live in the moment but keep your eyes on the future, and keep on moving forward..." - Richie Sambora