Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Favorite VH Album

All of them
    Favorite VH Song

All of them
    Last Online

01.19.20 @ 08:57 AM
    Liked 3,057 Times in 1,610 Posts

Some one in the video commented on, "Vince Meal". Holy shit, LMAO.

And REO Kevin....., for about 4 minutes and 23 seconds of the video, I thought I was looking at Sophia from the Golden Girls TV show and thinking to myself, "Didn't she die? Why is she there now?"

Yep, it's hell getting old I guess.

HH<------- reminded not to try to start a band now that I'm 50. Just sit back and be cool instead ---------------
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    VH LINKS Resident Paramedic/Firefighter
    #officialhashtaghater
    Copyright holder of all things, "<-----------------"

UC<------Goal in life to be included in an HH sig-----

Last Online

01.20.20 @ 05:44 PM
    Liked 4,303 Times in 2,743 Posts

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by It's Mike View Post
    how old are you VS?
    Old as the hills, it feels like.

I'm Gen X, same as most folks who dig Van Halen.

Favorite VH Album

like them all, no favourite
    Last Online

01.20.20 @ 06:30 PM
    Liked 12,208 Times in 6,861 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Van Squalen View Post
    Old as the hills, it feels like.

I'm Gen X, same as most folks who dig Van Halen.
    The reason i ask is I think being born in 70 vs 74 for instance can really change how you got rock music delivered to you. Most kids don't get into music until they're 10 or so unless they literally have parents or older siblings pouring it into them. I was born in 74 and VH was my first favourite rock band and I literally didn't hear of them before I saw the Jump video at age 9. Most early music to be was delivered via music video, I don't think that's unusual for the time, actually I think it's typical. So the odds of someone that age in 1984 being a Zeppelin fan is probably pretty low since they would have broken up when that person was 5 and there no Zepp videos. Now if you're born in 70 then I could get it. You'd be 14 in 1984 and in high school and by then would have discovered older bands.

4. The Following Member Likes This Post:

Last Online

Donor

The reason i ask is I think being born in 70 vs 74 for instance can really change how you got rock music delivered to you. Most kids don't get into music until they're 10 or so unless they literally have parents or older siblings pouring it into them. I was born in 74 and VH was my first favourite rock band and I literally didn't hear of them before I saw the Jump video at age 9. Most early music to be was delivered via music video, I don't think that's unusual for the time, actually I think it's typical. So the odds of someone that age in 1984 being a Zeppelin fan is probably pretty low since they would have broken up when that person was 5 and there no Zepp videos. Now if you're born in 70 then I could get it. You'd be 14 in 1984 and in high school and by then would have discovered older bands.
    I agree that most kids don't usually get into music until 10 or 12. I was the oldest sibling in my family, so it was my precedent to set, and literally my first true blue exposure to music where I bothered paying attention beyond what was playing on AM radio's Mighty-Six-Ninety at the pool during summers was my first VH concert at 12 years old. I may be a bit older than you, because certainly most early music in my region was not delivered via music video and MTV. It was the radio, and 8 track tapes from friends' older siblings as you said. The dates on Gen X's scope vary, being the kids of the baby boomers and some few of the WWII gen, but generally Gen X can swing from the early 60's to the early 80's birth dates. I tend to categorize it as anyone born between 1965 to 1979. Anyone born after that came of age in the 90's or beyond, which generally makes one Gen Y or a Millennial. Basically if you hit your 18th birthday sometime in the 1980's, you're Gen X.

In any case, I tend to think exposure to old school music can be based via older siblings/family or regional emphasis. I wasn't really into AC/DC until later, but I sure as shit remember Back in Black landing in 1980...the radios were blasting it night and day. In my rural area, we had mostly AM, occasional FM signal. But we had record shops within hitchhiking distance. And yep...they were all about Zeppelin....and, unfortunately, I admit, KISS. In fact, my biggest early exposure to Zep probably was places like Cheap Thrills, Tower Records, and local mom n' pop record stores.

6. The Following Member Likes This Post:

Favorite VH Album

Last Online

I agree that most kids don't usually get into music until 10 or 12. I was the oldest sibling in my family, so it was my precedent to set, and literally my first true blue exposure to music where I bothered paying attention beyond what was playing on AM radio's Mighty-Six-Ninety at the pool during summers was my first VH concert at 12 years old. I may be a bit older than you, because certainly most early music in my region was not delivered via music video and MTV. It was the radio, and 8 track tapes from friends' older siblings as you said. The dates on Gen X's scope vary, being the kids of the baby boomers and some few of the WWII gen, but generally Gen X can swing from the early 60's to the early 80's birth dates. I tend to categorize it as anyone born between 1965 to 1979. Anyone born after that came of age in the 90's or beyond, which generally makes one Gen Y or a Millennial. Basically if you hit your 18th birthday sometime in the 1980's, you're Gen X.

In any case, I tend to think exposure to old school music can be based via older siblings/family or regional emphasis. I wasn't really into AC/DC until later, but I sure as shit remember Back in Black landing in 1980...the radios were blasting it night and day. In my rural area, we had mostly AM, occasional FM signal. But we had record shops within hitchhiking distance. And yep...they were all about Zeppelin....and, unfortunately, I admit, KISS. In fact, my biggest early exposure to Zep probably was places like Cheap Thrills, Tower Records, and local mom n' pop record stores.
    Cool, it's pretty amazing how such a small difference in age really changed the way we took in music. The only time I saw an 8 track was at a friend's house (his dad had some) and they seemed ancient to us. We had cassettes after all (which would seem ancient a few years later). And my kids don't know what it's like to really buy music. Anything they want to get on Amazon Music at this point.

Banned!
    Last Online

11.25.18 @ 07:41 PM
    Liked 11,192 Times in 6,766 Posts

Cool, it's pretty amazing how such a small difference in age really changed the way we took in music. The only time I saw an 8 track was at a friend's house (his dad had some) and they seemed ancient to us. We had cassettes after all (which would seem ancient a few years later). And my kids don't know what it's like to really buy music. Anything they want to get on Amazon Music at this point.
    8 tracks and albums were all I remember. I didn't even see a cassette until I started getting into music. At least in my household.

Last Online

Donor

Oh yeah, those days are long gone. There was NOTHING like the feeling of heading to the record shop on a Tuesday morning ditching school to pick up a new VH album on vinyl or cassette.

8 tracks were how I was first exposed to Van Halen, after my first concert. I didn't know their catalogue for jack shit before that, except for the scattered VH1 I'd heard on the radio as a kid....mostly Eruption, YRGM, and ATBL, maybe DTNA. I jumped on the VH wagon with 'Warning, and my buddy's brother had the first four albums on beat-to-shit 8 track tapes, and we played them ad nauseum until Diver came out. The first three cassette tapes I ever bought for myself were Fair Warning, The Police's Synchronicity, and Rush's Permanent Waves. It's not rocket science to figure out why those three bands remain my top three bands to this day. When you're a kid, stuff cements in lol.

10. The Following Member Likes This Post:

Favorite VH Album

Last Online

Quote Originally Posted by CaboChris View Post
    8 tracks and albums were all I remember. I didn't even see a cassette until I started getting into music. At least in my household.
    like i said, such a small age difference yet the experience is so different. I never bought an 8 track, didn't have one in the house. I owned 1984 on cassette. Got the album afterward. 5150 is the only other album I bought from VH. Was cassettes until I guess Balance??

We had my father's record player until we got a stereo at some point in the late 80s. Most of my music came via our ghetto blaster that set up back 30 bucks or something like that back in the day. But you could record songs off the radio and since it was a double cassette, we could make copies of other tapes. That was priceless.

Last Online

01.17.20 @ 02:47 PM
    Liked 29 Times in 19 Posts

No thanks.

Favorite VH Album

Balance
    Last Online

01.20.20 @ 05:47 PM
    Liked 199 Times in 105 Posts

I always thought Crue were a bit better than the standard hair metal fare. Could just be me though. They had some interesting songs, whatever the case.

I could care less about anyone putting on weight. I care even less about people who comment negatively on it on YouTube. They'll probably be dead from texting-while-driving or selfie-cide well before Vince kicks the bucket.

14. The Following 3 Members Like This Post:

Sinner's Swing!
    Last Online

01.20.20 @ 05:17 PM
    Liked 521 Times in 348 Posts

I agree..I always thought mick Mars was kind of an underrated player, no he was never doing crazy Steve Vai shit but came up with some cool riffs, and the home sweet home solo was great
    Dealing with it.

16. The Following 2 Members Like This Post:

Favorite VH Album

The First One
    Favorite VH Song

I'm The One
    Last Online

01.20.20 @ 01:29 PM
    Liked 25,335 Times in 14,397 Posts

Diver Down was the first cassette I ever bought because it wasn't available on 8 track. I purchased it at Music + on Whittier Blvd. I think 5150 was one of the first CDs I ever bought. I purchased it at Tower Records in Buena Park just south of Knott's Berry Farm. I had bought 5150 on cassette the day it was released in March 1986. That Music + and that Tower Records are long gone.
    "It's so lonely at the top because it's so crowded at the bottom" - Diamond David Lee Roth

"The truth sounds like hate to those who hate the truth" - Todd Wagner

"Women and Children First ... The REAL Van Halen III"

Favorite VH Album

The First One
    Favorite VH Song

I'm The One
    Last Online

01.20.20 @ 01:29 PM
    Liked 25,335 Times in 14,397 Posts

Everybody in my region of SoCal was into Zep. And we were the first Gen X generation. Didn't matter we never got to see 'em live. Their mastery reigned supreme. Far beyond VH or Aero or Sabbath. Zep and AC/DC were played around the clock. If you didn't like Zep you were pretty much a Commie. If you didn't know who they were...or if you were one of the dipshits who pretended you knew and said shit like "Oh, Led...he's so cool."...god help you.
    My 7th grade English teacher (Mrs. Ecklund) had this to say about Led Zeppelin back in 1977: "Oh, I don't like him!"
    "It's so lonely at the top because it's so crowded at the bottom" - Diamond David Lee Roth

"The truth sounds like hate to those who hate the truth" - Todd Wagner

"Women and Children First ... The REAL Van Halen III"

19. The Following Member Likes This Post:

Favorite VH Album

For Unlawful Carnal Knowledge
    Favorite VH Song

Mine All Mine
    Last Online

01.19.20 @ 07:00 AM
    Liked 1,075 Times in 550 Posts

I just want to say, Dave Amato and Kevin Cronin are great. I love Speedwagon. I hope they did a video recording of this festival, or at least the two headliners. I need more live Speedwagon recordings in my life.

No shame.
    Last edited by Yaminub; 10.09.18 at 08:24 PM.

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Dreams
    Last Online

01.20.20 @ 06:13 PM
    Liked 1,398 Times in 903 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Get The Show On The Road View Post
    I didnt get into Zep until high school. Didnt know any kids who were into them until then either.

I do remember kids that were into Crue, Ratt, Poison, etc in 4th and 5th grade.
    Same here in burbs of Pittsburgh.
    Dave
    VH FOREVER!!!!!!!

Stats:
    BECAME PSYCHO FAN: 12/91
    VAN HALEN W/DAVE: 9x
    VAN HALEN W/SAMMY: 8x
    VAN HALEN W/GARY: 5x
    CHICKENFOOT/THE CIRCLE: 9x
    DAVE SOLO: 13x
    SAMMY SOLO: 15x (W/MONTROSE 1x, @CABO WABO CANTINA 1x)
    GARY/EXTREME/TRIBE OF JUDAH/HURTSMILE: 7x
    MET: Sammy 1x, Dave almost 1x, Gary 2x