Favorite VH Album

WOMEN AND CHILDREN FIRST/ADKOT
    Favorite VH Song

EVERYBODY WANTS SOME!!
    Last Online

10.14.19 @ 07:16 PM
    Liked 13,801 Times in 7,505 Posts

Premium Member

Figured I'd post this in this thread. Lol the double standard is amusing. Dave sounds fine here mostly keeping it low, and looks fine, hes wearing a black suit at a charity event. He does the same for YRGM, and the worst part of California Girls is the backing vocals. But, hey, people continually cream their shorts at Sam screeching and struggling through tuned down versions of Poundcake. It's fine if people think Dave doesn't sound good, but then the same people act like Sam sounds like Pavarotti.

Ok, sling your arrows at me, and continue blasting Dave. Peace out.

2. The Following 3 Members Like This Post:

Hot For Teacher
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

So This Is Love?
    Last Online

10.14.19 @ 05:36 PM
    Liked 34 Times in 19 Posts

I'm not so interested in Dave's appearance. He's not a young man and he can present himself however he pleases. The thing is, he's a singer and for the most part he sings terribly.

Is it a good or bad omen that he dares to sing a solo song (albeit a cover tune)?
    "The large print giveth and the small print taketh away" - Tom Waits

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen II
    Favorite VH Song

Dance the Night Away
    Last Online

05.08.19 @ 09:10 AM
    Liked 4,223 Times in 2,233 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by It's Mike View Post
    a 7 song set and I still need to listen to I'll Wait. damn.
    Ha ha....you got me with that one.

I've never tried to sing I'll Wait, but it sounds like it's not so easy to sing.

Quote Originally Posted by xk319 View Post
    Interesting comment on that tweet. She goes "van halen plans" then is like well, I heard it second hand.
    Yeah...what does that mean? She heard it from Dave and that's "2nd hand"? That's either her backing off because someone told her to cool it....

....Or it means Dave is so far out of the VH loop that hearing something from him equates to "2nd hand".

Quote Originally Posted by EJC View Post
    This is in no way a dig at Dave, more just a comment on time/aging in general... Its really hard to fathom that is was 27 years ago. Seems like it was just last week I bought this CD at the mall... Harder to fathom that I'm like 9 years older now than DLR was in this video.

*Note* According to this video the Absolute Final Tour will be 10/10/21. So we have 3 years left. Lol
    *Note* Midgets in blackface prob wouldn't fly in a video today
    The part at the end seems to indicate that Dave was fully aware of the cartoonish nature of his act. He can mock himself. Not many in show business can do that.

Last Online

10.14.19 @ 06:19 PM
    Liked 164 Times in 69 Posts

This is in no way a dig at Dave, more just a comment on time/aging in general... Its really hard to fathom that is was 27 years ago. Seems like it was just last week I bought this CD at the mall... Harder to fathom that I'm like 9 years older now than DLR was in this video.

RIP classic era Dave with this video. He had a good run with the pipes he was given, and this album was IMO the last of the solo albums we expected of him after the VH split. I'll say one thing- the guy sure could pick guitarists and female models!

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Hear About It Later
    Last Online

10.14.19 @ 04:02 PM
    Liked 2,262 Times in 1,267 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by JUNGLE DRUMMER View Post

Figured I'd post this in this thread. Lol the double standard is amusing. Dave sounds fine here mostly keeping it low, and looks fine, hes wearing a black suit at a charity event. He does the same for YRGM, and the worst part of California Girls is the backing vocals. But, hey, people continually cream their shorts at Sam screeching and struggling through tuned down versions of Poundcake. It's fine if people think Dave doesn't sound good, but then the same people act like Sam sounds like Pavarotti.

Ok, sling your arrows at me, and continue blasting Dave. Peace out.
    The thing you don't seem to understand is that most of the general public is now unaware of the age old Sam/Dave feud that a few old geezers here cling to. People just click on the link and hear some bad singing. They probably don't even know a guy named "Sammy Hagar" was a part of Van Halen. They click and it sounds bad. End of the story. Very few people will hear this and go "gotta google me some Sam Hagar to see how he sounds" and then A/B that with Dave's performance. Any of these guys, or both of them, not singing well - we all lose. I hope no one hears this and goes "yay, Dave sounds terrible!"
    Little Dreamer

7. The Following Member Likes This Post:

Favorite VH Album

WOMEN AND CHILDREN FIRST/ADKOT
    Favorite VH Song

EVERYBODY WANTS SOME!!
    Last Online

10.14.19 @ 07:16 PM
    Liked 13,801 Times in 7,505 Posts

Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by Little Dreamer View Post
    The thing you don't seem to understand is that most of the general public is now unaware of the age old Sam/Dave feud that a few old geezers here cling to. People just click on the link and hear some bad singing. They probably don't even know a guy named "Sammy Hagar" was a part of Van Halen. They click and it sounds bad. End of the story. Very few people will hear this and go "gotta google me some Sam Hagar to see how he sounds" and then A/B that with Dave's performance. Any of these guys, or both of them, not singing well - we all lose. I hope no one hears this and goes "yay, Dave sounds terrible!"
    Um, as usual, you don't seem to understand I'm not talking about the general public. I'm talking about "a few old geezers" here. I don't really care about what the general public thinks. Most are going to be ignorant like Eddie Trump, and would believe the US festival was a typical Dave live performance during the six pack.

But, it's still amusing to see the double standard and hypocrisy floated around here among a few hardcore fans.

9. The Following Member Likes This Post:

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Hear About It Later
    Last Online

To be honest, I don't even know what Sam sounds like on Poundcake in 2018. I've heard that song so many times, I have no desire to hear it again. I've heard some of Sam's new tunes and they sounded pretty good. But when I hear Sam, I don't automatically think "vs. Dave." And when I listen to Dave, I don't think about Hagar.
    I think even if Sammy died tomorrow and there were no more "rivalry," Dave still ought to be embarrassed to present himself like this vocally. I mean it's an insult to what the Mighty Van Halen stood for just like what EVH did on some nights in 04 and 07. When Ed did that song "Catherine," I was upset. It was a mockery of his legacy. Silence would've been preferable.
    It's not some religious cult where you will worship your "guy" no matter what. If our heroes start doing total crap, we're gonna call them out for it.

Because this is Van Halen. This is not some third rate bar band, this is the greatest American band that ever was.
    Little Dreamer

11. The Following Member Likes This Post:

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Hear About It Later
    Last Online

Just got an idea.

Ruck Rubin gotta get a hold of Dave, sit him down, and do 12 tunes in the vein of "Damn Good." I'd . buy this. Make him calm down - nobody wants hyper Dave at 65 - and have him write great lyrics like he's perfectly capable of doing, while singing in a more relaxed style.
    Little Dreamer

13. The Following Member Likes This Post:

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Panama
    Last Online

10.14.19 @ 07:10 PM
    Liked 9,104 Times in 6,546 Posts

Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by Little Dreamer View Post
    To be honest, I don't even know what Sam sounds like on Poundcake in 2018. I've heard that song so many times, I have no desire to hear it again. I've heard some of Sam's new tunes and they sounded pretty good. But when I hear Sam, I don't automatically think "vs. Dave." And when I listen to Dave, I don't think about Hagar.
    I think even if Sammy died tomorrow and there were no more "rivalry," Dave still ought to be embarrassed to present himself like this vocally. I mean it's an insult to what the Mighty Van Halen stood for just like what EVH did on some nights in 04 and 07. When Ed did that song "Catherine," I was upset. It was a mockery of his legacy. Silence would've been preferable.
    It's not some religious cult where you will worship your "guy" no matter what. If our heroes start doing total crap, we're gonna call them out for it.

Because this is Van Halen. This is not some third rate bar band, this is the greatest American band that ever was.
    Thank God no one got into a butthurt Sam vs Dave tirade. A thread about exibit A can exist without some whiner(s) going on about exibit B, no?
    "There's too many people on this basketball that's floating around the sun, who are too afraid to allow themselves to FEEL" - Edward Van Halen
    "Van Halen was never about the singer..." - A very wise fan.
    "Embrace the past. Live in the moment but keep your eyes on the future, and keep on moving forward..." - Richie Sambora

Favorite VH Album

VHI-VHII-WACF-FW-DD-1984-ADKOT
    Favorite VH Song

Now - HoneyBabySweetieDoll
    Last Online

10.14.19 @ 08:55 AM
    Liked 309 Times in 90 Posts

*** MISSING ***
    2007/08 Diamond David Lee Roth
    Attitude, Swagger, Cock Of The Walk, Rock God Vibe
    w/ Strong, On Point Vocals and a Pretty Good Scream or 2...

I know I have personally beat this to death... but for the love of God
    just channel that guy again...

FALCO
    \m/\m/
    Wicked Maraya - www.Facebook.com/WickedMaraya / www.WickedMaraya.com
    NEW Wicked Maraya out now!!!
    'Lifetime In Hell' on MASSACRE Records!!!
    *** VIDEO - Suicidal Dawn *** - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aURv...rt_radio=1&t=0

"A little more volume in the headphones please..."

16. The Following Member Likes This Post:

Favorite VH Album

The Magnificent 7
    Last Online

10.14.19 @ 11:02 AM
    Liked 18,388 Times in 10,483 Posts

Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by RRvh1 View Post
    Thank God no one got into a butthurt Sam vs Dave tirade. A thread about exibit A can exist without some whiner(s) going on about exibit B, no?
    No, someone just started a thread so the usual clowns can stroke each other while bashing a guy they don't like anyway.
     "He has a swaggering retro machismo that will give hives to the Steinem cabal" -Camille Paglia on Donald Trump

"But, fucking with Brook is like fucking with hot shit on and ax handle. You just don't get a grip"-track5

"Make way for the bad guy"- Tony Montana

'This hamburger don't need no helper"- David Lee Roth

"I wish Bon Jovi would've given me a call before he recorded all of his hits, because the lyrics would've been smarter, the melodies would've been much more smashing, and they would've sold a lot fewer records." -David Lee Roth

"My beef is people thinking Bon Jovi is good cuz they sold lots of records to housewives." -tango

"But being number one doesn’t really mean jack fuck all. We sold twice as many records as other records that year (1984) that landed in the Number One position." ~Eddie Van Halen

18. The Following Member Likes This Post:

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Panama
    Last Online

10.14.19 @ 07:10 PM
    Liked 9,104 Times in 6,546 Posts

Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by bklynboy68 View Post
    No, someone just started a thread so the usual clowns can stroke each other while bashing a guy they don't like anyway.

Did.you say somethimg?

Someone started the thread, obviously, yet the multitude of posters in it are some of the site's best. General consensus is that Roth sucks now. Those pics and vids are horrible. Remember that Jack Nicholson quote? "You're an adult...., Cope!"
    "There's too many people on this basketball that's floating around the sun, who are too afraid to allow themselves to FEEL" - Edward Van Halen
    "Van Halen was never about the singer..." - A very wise fan.
    "Embrace the past. Live in the moment but keep your eyes on the future, and keep on moving forward..." - Richie Sambora

20. The Following Member Likes This Post:

Favorite VH Album

The Magnificent 7
    Last Online

10.14.19 @ 11:02 AM
    Liked 18,388 Times in 10,483 Posts

Premium Member

The only people that need to cope are the ones who needed a special thread to spout the same shit over and over.
     "He has a swaggering retro machismo that will give hives to the Steinem cabal" -Camille Paglia on Donald Trump

"But, fucking with Brook is like fucking with hot shit on and ax handle. You just don't get a grip"-track5

"Make way for the bad guy"- Tony Montana

'This hamburger don't need no helper"- David Lee Roth

"I wish Bon Jovi would've given me a call before he recorded all of his hits, because the lyrics would've been smarter, the melodies would've been much more smashing, and they would've sold a lot fewer records." -David Lee Roth

"My beef is people thinking Bon Jovi is good cuz they sold lots of records to housewives." -tango

"But being number one doesn’t really mean jack fuck all. We sold twice as many records as other records that year (1984) that landed in the Number One position." ~Eddie Van Halen

22. The Following Member Likes This Post:

Last Online

10.14.19 @ 08:52 AM
    Liked 2,053 Times in 867 Posts

I'd like to know what type of diet these guys are on... Gary is 57. Nuno and Gary look and sound pretty much exactly like they did in 1990.

Last edited by EJC; 09.11.18 at 04:52 AM.

24. The Following 3 Members Like This Post:

Favorite VH Album

Alex, Dave, Ed and Mike
    Favorite VH Song

The songs with Ed on them
    Last Online

10.14.19 @ 05:10 PM
    Liked 26,404 Times in 13,319 Posts

Premium Member

I'd like to know what type of diet these guys are on... Gary is 57. Nuno and Gary look and sound pretty much exactly like they did in 1990.

Cocaine, Marlboro's and Colt 45. The rock and roll diet of champions.
    If I don't respond to you it means I have you on ignore, which means you are a douchenozzle.

Emperor Brett - "I can't believe you guys are analyzing song-by-song Van Halen III? What next, analyzing the script of Stroker Ace looking for some shred of Citizen Kane?"

David Lee Roth did the impossible. He made Van Halen better. Deal with it!

A man's rights rests in three boxes: the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box

Hurricane Halen - Let's all gingery touch our sword tips!!!