Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Results 31 to 45 of 73
  1. #31
    Sinner's Swing! EJC's Avatar
    Join Date
    01.30.04
    Age
    46
    Location
    Jersey Shore
    Posts
    2,896
    Last Online

    11.16.19 @ 04:21 PM
    Likes
    16
    Liked 2,181 Times in 919 Posts


    Premium Member

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by NDL View Post
    I don't know the business side of things, but I can see distribution as being a problem on a low volume product, so yeah...who knows what'll happen.
    "Distribution" is done by the artist. Once the media is created, it's uploaded to a single source and goes live on BandCamp, Googlemusic, Amazon, iTunes, Spotify, Pandora, etc. on the specified date. Typically 2-3 weeks from when it was uploaded. CD's are dead dead dead. Everything is streaming now. So basically it can be released whenever he has uploaded the content and artwork. See my BandCamp link below. Our new album was uploaded 2 days ago. One song is available for purchase now and the rest on 09/04 I think. It will be live on all the streaming aps then as well. He may coincide the digital release with vinyl though. Any income from his music would most likely come from live performances and merchandise.


    ~EJC
    Last edited by EJC; 08.17.18 at 06:18 AM.

  2. The Following Member Likes This Post:

    NDL

  3. #32
    5150 NDL's Avatar
    Join Date
    03.26.04
    Location
    Charlotte, NC
    Posts
    665
    Favorite VH Album

    1984
    Favorite VH Song

    Me Wise Magic & Summer Nights
    Last Online

    11.14.19 @ 08:53 PM
    Likes
    1,020
    Liked 347 Times in 195 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by EJC View Post
    "Distribution" is done by the artist. Once the media is created, it's uploaded to a single source and goes live on BandCamp, Googlemusic, Amazon, iTunes, Spotify, Pandora, etc. on the specified date. Typically 2-3 weeks from when it was uploaded. CD's are dead dead dead. Everything is streaming now. So basically it can be released whenever he has uploaded the content and artwork. See my BandCamp link below. Our new album was uploaded 2 days ago. One song is available for purchase now and the rest on 09/04 I think. It will be live on all the streaming aps then as well. He may coincide the digital release with vinyl though. Any income from his music would most likely come from live performances and merchandise.


    ~EJC
    Appreciate you educating me on the process (which is a lot less involved than I thought) - which has me agreeing with Japeape:

    (BTW: As to your own music, best wishes...the track I listened to was deep!)

    Quote Originally Posted by japeape View Post
    But the kid really should have put a track out by now, to get some feedback &
    build anticipation.

    He's going about it way too slow in 2018, where ADD is rampant.
    Kinda hard for me to add to what you've already said; he's killing any momentum that may have been there.

  4. #33
    Sinner's Swing! EJC's Avatar
    Join Date
    01.30.04
    Age
    46
    Location
    Jersey Shore
    Posts
    2,896
    Last Online

    11.16.19 @ 04:21 PM
    Likes
    16
    Liked 2,181 Times in 919 Posts


    Premium Member

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by NDL View Post
    Appreciate you educating me on the process (which is a lot less involved than I thought) - which has me agreeing with Japeape:

    (BTW: As to your own music, best wishes...the track I listened to was deep!)



    Kinda hard for me to add to what you've already said; he's killing any momentum that may have been there.

    Thank you for the listen sir! I lived in Charlotte/Harrisburg/Matthews from 96-05. My company is still based in Concord.

    ~EJC

  5. #34
    On Fire
    Join Date
    05.20.00
    Location
    Concord NH, USA
    Posts
    408
    Favorite VH Album

    VH-II/OU812
    Favorite VH Song

    Girl gone bad/Dreams live
    Last Online

    11.06.19 @ 09:38 AM
    Likes
    0
    Liked 206 Times in 94 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by nicholas_kudochop View Post
    I had the pleasure of pissing him off... On their last tour I suggested he post something besides pics of the fans at the end of their shows. Ya know, maybe backstage, etc; Stuff fans really want to see. News Flash: every crowd looks the same. That went over like a Led Zeppelin... I was one of only a few people he responded to on any of his pics, so he resorted to try and make fun of my FB cover picture lol. It was hilarious. I never thought I'd hit a nerve in Eddie Van Halen's kid, but apparently somebody has thin skin.
    Hmmm I do wonder why we only see such limited stuff in the way of photos and such. Actually the one that put up cool photos on instagram was Alex's son Malcom. He took pics and video of his dad from behind the drums and it was awesome. I have been a drummer and a massive VH fan since 1982 and I had never seen shots of Alex like this. I would have loved to have messaged the kid and told him how awesome that was but I highly doubt a high school kid would have liked being messaged by some stranger 40 something year old guy.
    "What do you expect from a guy who makes his living beating things with a stick!"-EVH

  6. #35
    Atomic Punk bsbll4's Avatar
    Join Date
    02.18.03
    Age
    36
    Location
    St. Louis, MO
    Posts
    10,067
    Favorite VH Album

    Van Halen/ADKOT
    Favorite VH Song

    Hot For Teacher
    Last Online

    11.15.19 @ 02:13 PM
    Likes
    1,314
    Liked 3,786 Times in 1,871 Posts


    Premium Member

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by NDL View Post
    I don't get it.

    Instead of looking at everyone as a potential dick, or a lowlife with too much time on their hands, I wish they saw their fans as people who are serious about their music *because* they appreciate their work.

    Doubt it will ever happen.
    Have you read the comments on his twitter feed? I would think the fans were dicks as well. Plus God knows what was said to him by idiots on the 2007 tour--not to mention over the years since then.

    Frankly, I'm surprised he's as well balanced as he is.
    CNN may think my opinion matters, but you shouldn't.

  7. The Following 3 Members Like This Post:


  8. #36
    Atomic Punk Little Dreamer's Avatar
    Join Date
    12.25.99
    Age
    47
    Location
    Pasadena, CA, USA
    Posts
    10,496
    Favorite VH Album

    Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

    Hear About It Later
    Last Online

    11.15.19 @ 06:55 AM
    Likes
    2,379
    Liked 2,320 Times in 1,303 Posts

    Default

    OK, but these guys are not athletes, they don't get brand endorsements, for the most part. Who pays for their lifestyle? Us, the fans. Don't bite the hand that feeds you.
    Little Dreamer

  9. The Following Member Likes This Post:

    NDL

  10. #37
    5150 NDL's Avatar
    Join Date
    03.26.04
    Location
    Charlotte, NC
    Posts
    665
    Favorite VH Album

    1984
    Favorite VH Song

    Me Wise Magic & Summer Nights
    Last Online

    11.14.19 @ 08:53 PM
    Likes
    1,020
    Liked 347 Times in 195 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by EJC View Post
    Thank you for the listen sir! I lived in Charlotte/Harrisburg/Matthews from 96-05. My company is still based in Concord.

    ~EJC
    Area has changed drastically since '05. Living here, I do miss Stewarts, and to a lesser degree, Pete & Elda's

    Quote Originally Posted by bsbll4 View Post
    Have you read the comments on his twitter feed? I would think the fans were dicks as well. Plus God knows what was said to him by idiots on the 2007 tour--not to mention over the years since then.

    Frankly, I'm surprised he's as well balanced as he is.
    Dicks will be dicks, and I know that a great deal of pressure has been unfairly put on his shoulders, but I don't see him as someone who's fan friendly.

    What am I looking for, as a fan? Usually, when I look into what my favorite artists are doing, I will see blurbs like:

    "(so and so) is currently working on a new album"

    "the new album is said to be harder (or softer) than last album"

    "new album will feature cameo appearances from so and so"

    "the new record should be completed by the Fall, with a Winter 2019 release"

    "the new record will consist of 12 tracks, with the first single dropping sometime in September"

    Conversely, I'll see things like "(so and so) is taking the year off, enjoying much needed rest from last year's tour"

    I think that anyone on the board would be satisfied with the above type of communication from their favorite band. Nothing big. Nothing elaborate.

  11. #38
    Atomic Punk Number 47's Avatar
    Join Date
    10.08.06
    Posts
    39,994
    Last Online

    11.16.19 @ 04:19 PM
    Likes
    2,645
    Liked 11,154 Times in 6,158 Posts


    Premium Member

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by NDL View Post
    Area has changed drastically since '05. Living here, I do miss Stewarts, and to a lesser degree, Pete & Elda's



    Dicks will be dicks, and I know that a great deal of pressure has been unfairly put on his shoulders, but I don't see him as someone who's fan friendly.

    What am I looking for, as a fan? Usually, when I look into what my favorite artists are doing, I will see blurbs like:

    "(so and so) is currently working on a new album"

    "the new album is said to be harder (or softer) than last album"

    "new album will feature cameo appearances from so and so"

    "the new record should be completed by the Fall, with a Winter 2019 release"

    "the new record will consist of 12 tracks, with the first single dropping sometime in September"

    Conversely, I'll see things like "(so and so) is taking the year off, enjoying much needed rest from last year's tour"

    I think that anyone on the board would be satisfied with the above type of communication from their favorite band. Nothing big. Nothing elaborate.
    Get off the internet Wolf. The manager is calling about the dust sleeve photo shoot.

  12. #39
    Eruption Spool's Avatar
    Join Date
    05.25.04
    Age
    51
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    1,221
    Favorite VH Album

    Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

    Mean Street
    Last Online

    11.15.19 @ 07:31 PM
    Likes
    319
    Liked 202 Times in 93 Posts


    Donor

    Default

    little or no real interest in the record besides a passing listen ... If it sounds old school I'll be in but would say it will sound quite modern for his generation so will not be my thing just because his father is a freakin musical genius ...

  13. #40
    Eruption
    Join Date
    10.11.06
    Location
    Sydney Australia
    Posts
    1,105
    Favorite VH Album

    Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

    Mean Street
    Last Online

    11.16.19 @ 03:05 PM
    Likes
    201
    Liked 411 Times in 178 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Little Dreamer View Post
    OK, but these guys are not athletes, they don't get brand endorsements, for the most part. Who pays for their lifestyle? Us, the fans. Don't bite the hand that feeds you.
    I reckon this attitude feeds into the VH's mindset. They dont owe us anything. Its a simple transaction. at some stage they have produced or made available music or a live event for your consumption for a price. If you like it and think the price is fair enough, you made a purchase. Thats the end of the transaction.

    If you flip your argument it would be the same as Ed thinking "we have produced all this great rock for you for years and you dont buy III?". No one owes anyone anything.

  14. The Following Member Likes This Post:


  15. #41
    Good Enough
    Join Date
    07.17.06
    Age
    50
    Location
    Las Vegas
    Posts
    1,775
    Favorite VH Album

    Fair Warning & Balance
    Favorite VH Song

    Don't Tell Me
    Last Online

    11.11.19 @ 07:58 PM
    Likes
    18
    Liked 156 Times in 97 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Glenninaus View Post
    I reckon this attitude feeds into the VH's mindset. They dont owe us anything. Its a simple transaction. at some stage they have produced or made available music or a live event for your consumption for a price. If you like it and think the price is fair enough, you made a purchase. Thats the end of the transaction.

    If you flip your argument it would be the same as Ed thinking "we have produced all this great rock for you for years and you dont buy III?". No one owes anyone anything.
    Agreed, it’s a transaction and that’s it. And nobody owes anybody anything.

    However, if making money in your particular endeavor in the future by selling it is something you’re interested in, then you’re most logical target is repeat business. If repeat business is the most likely way to help earn the money you’re interested in making, then treating your past customers with respect is not a bad idea.

    If you don’t give a fuck if you ever sell anything to them again, then the VH way is as good as any.

    For a young person starting a career, not pissing off an obvious built-in audience that your family (dad and uncle) has handed over to you is probably the best course of action.
    SOME VH LINKS CLASSICS


    "Sammy is fat, Dave is bald, Mike is next in line to be the Pope, Eddie is a drunk, Wolfie is fat, Gary is gay, CVH is VH, Mike is VH, Sammy can outsing Dave on a tequilla hangover, Eddie is a meth head, How Many Say I is the worst VH song ever, Up for Breakfast is a close second, Dave was horrible at radio and everybody hates the assless chaps.
    Ok I think that covers everything." Ziggysmalls

    "I sense that some of our newer passengers may be nervous due to the sudden turbulence. Please be seated, this is simply a normal part of the periodic ride.
    I didn't say we'll get to the destination, but until Alex comes out a says what a complete waste of carbon DLR is, we're still climbing, so strap yourselves in.
    Those of you who have been on this ride before, the hottie in the mini will be around shortly with your drinks......." Red

  16. The Following 2 Members Like This Post:


  17. #42
    Atomic Punk japeape's Avatar
    Join Date
    02.05.15
    Posts
    13,915
    Favorite VH Album

    II & WACF
    Favorite VH Song

    HAIL & Simple Rhyme
    Last Online

    11.15.19 @ 11:31 PM
    Likes
    8,423
    Liked 12,487 Times in 6,833 Posts

    Default

    I agree.

    And i wouldn't draw this thing out the way he has, because it's only going to make people
    super eager to pounce on your "six year masterpiece."

    I would have released a couple demos, allowed people into the making of the project,
    instead of revisiting endless baby pics.

    Put some stuff out early, get a vibe for what works & gauge the response.
    Don't tweak the thing for half a decade and ignore your potential audience.

    I get this feeling the entire VH clan kinda has no use for us, and it's interesting that
    the son sort of has that built in perspective.
    Graver, Walking Ed, refugee from CVH & proud tone chaser...

  18. The Following Member Likes This Post:

    NDL

  19. #43
    Atomic Punk JUNGLE DRUMMER's Avatar
    Join Date
    04.20.07
    Age
    45
    Posts
    14,488
    Favorite VH Album

    WOMEN AND CHILDREN FIRST/ADKOT
    Favorite VH Song

    EVERYBODY WANTS SOME!!
    Last Online

    11.15.19 @ 12:26 PM
    Likes
    48,815
    Liked 13,988 Times in 7,610 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by belikemike View Post
    Agreed, it’s a transaction and that’s it. And nobody owes anybody anything.

    However, if making money in your particular endeavor in the future by selling it is something you’re interested in, then you’re most logical target is repeat business. If repeat business is the most likely way to help earn the money you’re interested in making, then treating your past customers with respect is not a bad idea.

    If you don’t give a fuck if you ever sell anything to them again, then the VH way is as good as any.

    For a young person starting a career, not pissing off an obvious built-in audience that your family (dad and uncle) has handed over to you is probably the best course of action.
    How has Wolf pissed you or other fans off? By taking his sweet time on an album that most people on here claim to not give a shit about?

  20. The Following 5 Members Like This Post:


  21. #44
    Atomic Punk
    Join Date
    10.28.12
    Location
    Mean Street
    Posts
    7,334
    Favorite VH Album

    Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

    Bottoms Up!
    Last Online

    09.27.19 @ 09:08 PM
    Likes
    5,382
    Liked 4,111 Times in 2,567 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by EJC View Post
    "Distribution" is done by the artist. Once the media is created, it's uploaded to a single source and goes live on BandCamp, Googlemusic, Amazon, iTunes, Spotify, Pandora, etc. on the specified date. Typically 2-3 weeks from when it was uploaded. CD's are dead dead dead. Everything is streaming now. So basically it can be released whenever he has uploaded the content and artwork. See my BandCamp link below. Our new album was uploaded 2 days ago. One song is available for purchase now and the rest on 09/04 I think. It will be live on all the streaming aps then as well. He may coincide the digital release with vinyl though. Any income from his music would most likely come from live performances and merchandise.


    ~EJC
    Yeah, don't see any physical CD being released. Those days are almost completely over. It's way easier to upload to a site or create your own, anyway, like you said.

  22. #45
    Atomic Punk
    Join Date
    10.28.12
    Location
    Mean Street
    Posts
    7,334
    Favorite VH Album

    Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

    Bottoms Up!
    Last Online

    09.27.19 @ 09:08 PM
    Likes
    5,382
    Liked 4,111 Times in 2,567 Posts

    Default

    I don't think this has anything to do with VH or it's fans. This is just a musician who has a desire to create something. His situation is unique.
    He has his own money, his own studio, and needs nothing from anybody. He's not a hungry musician struggling to get signed or become a star.
    I would say this is a project for him not for us.

    He grew up with social media. Of course he's gonna use it. He has actual fans, friends.
    I don't think there's any other intention but to say. "hey, I'm making a record".
    Being a bigger personality than he is or going on tour....I think it's pretty safe to say, by now, he's not looking for the spotlight. It's the exact opposite.

    Be cool to hear this record, if not, no biggie. He's not ruining any VH fans day.
    The bottom line is we should be grateful as hell to this guy. The last decade wouldn't have happened without him.

  23. The Following 2 Members Like This Post:


 

 

Similar Threads

  1. :::Wolf's Album Is Finally Finished
    By NDL in forum Main VH Discussion
    Replies: 603
    Last Post: 02.06.19, 02:47 PM
  2. WTF?!? Not getting the thread I expect
    By JWS_5150 in forum VHLinks Feedback & Troubleshooting
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 02.04.02, 08:01 AM
  3. An older VH, don't expect the same.....................
    By Eddymon in forum Main VH Discussion
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 01.14.02, 09:55 PM
  4. Expect this to come from VH any day now...
    By Hide Your Sheep in forum Main VH Discussion
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 04.20.01, 01:13 PM
  5. What did you all REALLY expect?
    By BAM2266 in forum Main VH Discussion
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 09.08.00, 10:20 AM

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •