Thread: Soooo...

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Me Wise Magic & Summer Nights
    Last Online

10.16.19 @ 11:19 PM
    Liked 341 Times in 191 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by RRvh1 View Post
    I always thought Eddie, when on his game, was the epitome of a happy rocker. The guy has such a genuine smile that it always struck me that he was having a blast onstage.
    Ed's smile is his trademark.

I'd always wondered if it came from his Dad, who said: "if you make a mistake, smile, and repeat the mistake again, so the audience thinks that you purposed to make the mistake"

Perhaps the smile stuck?

Either way, he always came across as a professional musician, who's genuinely happy go lucky.
    "If only Eddie, Alex and Wolfgang had as much enthusiasm about Van Halen as Dave, Sammy and Mike do " - I Coulda Hada VH

"I don't think he owes us, and I think few if any do. What we would like is for him to release music, since he is our favorite musician. It's a wish and a hope, not a critique." - Dave's Dreidel

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Panama
    Last Online

10.20.19 @ 12:59 AM
    Liked 9,109 Times in 6,551 Posts

Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by NDL View Post
    Ed's smile is his trademark.

I'd always wondered if it came from his Dad, who said: "if you make a mistake, smile, and repeat the mistake again, so the audience thinks that you purposed to make the mistake"

Perhaps the smile stuck?

Either way, he always came across as a professional musician, who's genuinely happy go lucky.
    Yeah, the "Make them think that you meant it." remark.

Then again, Ed didn't fuck up too much in the early days while woodshedding. "He always hit every note perfect, and kept getting better and better." - The Early Years dvd.

He's a natural musician and was always a guitar wizard. One who everyone knew was something very sspecial... I'd be smiling too!
    "There's too many people on this basketball that's floating around the sun, who are too afraid to allow themselves to FEEL" - Edward Van Halen
    "Van Halen was never about the singer..." - A very wise fan.
    "Embrace the past. Live in the moment but keep your eyes on the future, and keep on moving forward..." - Richie Sambora

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen II
    Favorite VH Song

Dance the Night Away
    Last Online

05.08.19 @ 09:10 AM
    Liked 4,223 Times in 2,233 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by EJC View Post
    It's amazing how rarely anyone brings up the fact that touring is WORK. It's not easy. Even with the best travel arrangements someone like EVH would have, it's a lot of work to get through a tour. Being on stage under hot lights 2 hours a nite trying to move even a little gets tiresome. The guitar gets heavy. Your shoulder hurts. Your ears get worn out. Playing the same songs for the 10,000th time that the crowd want you to play is boring. It is. When Ed smiles from the stage, it's forced. It's part of his job. I know someone (who asked not to be named) who toured with 2 of the biggest solo acts of the early 80s. I asked him what it was like... He said the hardest part is getting on stage everynite and ACTING like you enjoy playing a song you have played 10,000 times all over the planet. Knowing that you have to fake that smile because the crowd thinks that you love hearing song A,B,C as much as they do. And the guys he toured with NEEDED money, they had to tour. Ed does not. So why is it so hard to comprehend that he may be unofficially retired? I'm sure EVH does not care what McArtney does, or Springsteen or whoever.... Ed is doing what he wants to do, and right now that is nothing. Is anybody's life really THAT worse off because they couldn't go see VH this summer? Mine's not. I'm looking forward to catching 311 this week... There ARE other bands out there touring if ya need a nite out!
    ~Peace

~EJ
    That all sounds accurate to me.

It's definitely work when you don't enjoy it. I go out and play basketball and it's not work at all. It takes LOT more effort than mowing my lawn...but I don't mind BB one bit because I enjoy it so much. I'll even go out and just shoot jumpers, practice dribbling, and low post shots....just because I enjoy it.

Other people go hunting because they enjoy it. From what I've seen....a hunting trip is a monumental pain in the ***. But it's not "work" at all to an avid hunter.

Other people work on a car as a hobby and love every minute of it. Meanwhile the auto mechanic at the local shop sees working on a car as "work" and can't wait to get home at night.

McCartney does it because it's fun to him. It's not "work". You are probably right that to Eddie it now feels like work.

I also get how boring it would be to play the same song for the 10,000th time. No idea how guys do that. Imagine being in Aerosmith and "Dream On" is the next song up. You know they are faking that. They've been playing that since 1973! Playing in a cover band is the way to go. Much more fun.

Is Eddie faking that smile? Maybe. He sure doesn't smile in those early photos.

But it's show business. You have to put on a show. Eddie learned how to be a showman and was one of the best at it imo. Smiling onstage is a big thing. The Beatles did it too. I don't remember John Lennon smiling much after those early years.

Favorite VH Album

The First One
    Favorite VH Song

I'm The One
    Last Online

10.19.19 @ 10:46 PM
    Liked 24,466 Times in 13,903 Posts

Premium Member

If you read and believed Noel Monk's book, it's a wonder Eddie ever smiled from 1978-1984.
    "It's so lonely at the top because it's so crowded at the bottom" - Diamond David Lee Roth

"The truth sounds like hate to those who hate the truth" - Todd Wagner

"Women and Children First ... The REAL Van Halen III"

Favorite VH Album

Alex, Dave, Ed and Mike
    Favorite VH Song

The songs with Ed on them
    Last Online

10.18.19 @ 02:02 PM
    Liked 26,432 Times in 13,330 Posts

Premium Member

I get the not wanting to tour. Hell, from reading Noel Monk's book, he hated it in 1978, so I can't imagine what he thinks of it now.

I just don't get the lack of released music.
    If I don't respond to you it means I have you on ignore, which means you are a douchenozzle.

Emperor Brett - "I can't believe you guys are analyzing song-by-song Van Halen III? What next, analyzing the script of Stroker Ace looking for some shred of Citizen Kane?"

David Lee Roth did the impossible. He made Van Halen better. Deal with it!

A man's rights rests in three boxes: the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box

Hurricane Halen - Let's all gingery touch our sword tips!!!

6. The Following 3 Members Like This Post:

Favorite VH Album

Alex, Dave, Ed and Mike
    Favorite VH Song

The songs with Ed on them
    Last Online

10.18.19 @ 02:02 PM
    Liked 26,432 Times in 13,330 Posts

Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by I Coulda Hada VH View Post
    If you read and believed Noel Monk's book, it's a wonder Eddie ever smiled from 1978-1984.
    Krell is a wonderful thing.
    If I don't respond to you it means I have you on ignore, which means you are a douchenozzle.

Emperor Brett - "I can't believe you guys are analyzing song-by-song Van Halen III? What next, analyzing the script of Stroker Ace looking for some shred of Citizen Kane?"

David Lee Roth did the impossible. He made Van Halen better. Deal with it!

A man's rights rests in three boxes: the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box

Hurricane Halen - Let's all gingery touch our sword tips!!!