Top Of The World
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

In a Simple Rhyme
    Last Online

12.11.18 @ 04:05 AM
    Liked 2 Times in 1 Post

I have to think something is in the works. Too much silence. And...why the break for Wolfie in recording his new album? I think there's a connection with his long break and perhaps some new VH material. Maybe.

2. The Following 2 Members Like This Post:

Good Enough
    Last Online

07.24.19 @ 11:13 AM
    Liked 236 Times in 104 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by japeape View Post
    Peart stopped because it caused him physical pain.

Your examples are terrible.
    According to interviews I've seen with Peart, he stopped because he had enough and he just wants to be a grandfather now for his grandchildren. He's an avid reader and writer. He never did like touring, hated it in fact, and he began bike riding and then bringing his motorcycle on tour and riding between gigs. It's the only thing that got him out on the road in the later years. He said he always enjoyed the very first show of a tour because it was fresh but after that first show he quickly became bored with the whole process. Lifeson had to lay a bit of a guilt trip on him to get him to actually do that final Rush tour because he wasn't even interested in that. Clapton has had some serious health issues in the last few years and isn't able to really play. He's stated he's just happy to be alive. Eddie is very lucky to be alive considering a few battles with cancer, alcoholism, drugs, and that diverticulitis thing that could have killed him. Maybe he's just happy to be alive and relatively healthy and doesn't want to deal with the music business and touring. Or Roth. It's not hard to understand. People often reach a point in life where they've had enough of whatever it is they do and just want to be left alone.

4. The Following Member Likes This Post:

AJW

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning & Balance
    Favorite VH Song

Don't Tell Me
    Last Online

08.19.19 @ 09:44 PM
    Liked 150 Times in 94 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by snowdog View Post
    Yeah, that's what gets me. So many artists claim in the earlier part of their career that decisions are forced on them and there's pressure to make hits and sell so many albums and such.

Ok, but then all these guys in these famous bands have now had for decades what they said they wanted all along, complete freedom to make the kind of music they want without having to worry about how much it sells and having it match the current pop mood and so forth. They all have their own studios, no money concerns, no record companies, and no radio to satisfy, and they often do nothing. It's like hearing a kid complain they can't go outside because it's been raining for three days and as soon as it's sunny they decide to stay inside and play video games instead. It just smacks of bullshit.
    Bingo
    SOME VH LINKS CLASSICS

"Sammy is fat, Dave is bald, Mike is next in line to be the Pope, Eddie is a drunk, Wolfie is fat, Gary is gay, CVH is VH, Mike is VH, Sammy can outsing Dave on a tequilla hangover, Eddie is a meth head, How Many Say I is the worst VH song ever, Up for Breakfast is a close second, Dave was horrible at radio and everybody hates the assless chaps.
    Ok I think that covers everything." Ziggysmalls

"I sense that some of our newer passengers may be nervous due to the sudden turbulence. Please be seated, this is simply a normal part of the periodic ride.
    I didn't say we'll get to the destination, but until Alex comes out a says what a complete waste of carbon DLR is, we're still climbing, so strap yourselves in.
    Those of you who have been on this ride before, the hottie in the mini will be around shortly with your drinks......." Red

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

I'm the One
    Last Online

08.22.19 @ 05:36 AM
    Liked 2,546 Times in 1,212 Posts

McCartney could have crawled under a rock after his first solo album was panned for being underproduced and unfinished and having little substance. Later he would admit he was just experimenting and not worrying so much how it was gonna turn out. It was his music and he was just going to do what he does. He's 76 now and his new album comes out in a few weeks and I kinda dig the single, for an old mf. Different people, but it isn't because Ed is old. He is just not interested and hasn't been for a long time.

7. The Following 2 Members Like This Post:

Favorite VH Album

Alex, Dave, Ed and Mike
    Favorite VH Song

The songs with Ed on them
    Last Online

08.23.19 @ 10:48 AM
    Liked 26,020 Times in 13,132 Posts

Premium Member

Yeah, that's what gets me. So many artists claim in the earlier part of their career that decisions are forced on them and there's pressure to make hits and sell so many albums and such.

Ok, but then all these guys in these famous bands have now had for decades what they said they wanted all along, complete freedom to make the kind of music they want without having to worry about how much it sells and having it match the current pop mood and so forth. They all have their own studios, no money concerns, no record companies, and no radio to satisfy, and they often do nothing. It's like hearing a kid complain they can't go outside because it's been raining for three days and as soon as it's sunny they decide to stay inside and play video games instead. It just smacks of bullshit.
    Great post.

As much as Ed bitched about Warner Brothers forcing them to record Diver Down in a couple of weeks and slap a bunch of covers on it, and then tour behind a hit album when they wanted time off, etc. etc. He doesn't have to do any of that now. He can just release whatever he wants. Two hours of instrumentals like Respect the Wind, he could do it. Hell, McCartney did a classical album.

Kip fucking Winger is doing that, releasing all kinds of different music. But Eddie fucking Van Halen bitches about the costs?

I don't get it. But, that's ok. His career, his talent, he can share it how he wishes.
    If I don't respond to you it means I have you on ignore, which means you are a douchenozzle.

Emperor Brett - "I can't believe you guys are analyzing song-by-song Van Halen III? What next, analyzing the script of Stroker Ace looking for some shred of Citizen Kane?"

David Lee Roth did the impossible. He made Van Halen better. Deal with it!

A man's rights rests in three boxes: the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box

Hurricane Halen - Let's all gingery touch our sword tips!!!

9. The Following 2 Members Like This Post:

Favorite VH Album

diver down
    Favorite VH Song

drop dead legs
    Last Online

08.23.19 @ 02:18 PM
    Liked 3,745 Times in 2,286 Posts

Premium Member

I saw a teenager a few weeks ago with a Van Halen original logo tee at Wal-Mart. I had to ask her if she was a fan ? I mean you hardly see people these days in VH gear but a 16 yr old teen ? She said her mom is and she got the shirt for Christmas. I said is your mom single she laughed and said no.

Sent from my SM-S327VL using Tapatalk
    EVH 1979: Well, actually it's not much of a vacation, because we run everything ourselves. We design our own album cover, we have to be in the office every day to sign checks - the whole corporation revolves around us. Nothing can be done without our approval. We even have photo approval.

11. The Following 4 Members Like This Post:

Favorite VH Album

II & WACF
    Favorite VH Song

HAIL & Simple Rhyme
    Last Online

08.23.19 @ 08:08 AM
    Liked 11,967 Times in 6,533 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by edwardv View Post
    I saw a teenager a few weeks ago with a Van Halen original logo tee at Wal-Mart. I had to ask her if she was a fan ? I mean you hardly see people these days in VH gear but a 16 yr old teen ? She said her mom is and she got the shirt for Christmas. I said is your mom single she laughed and said no.

Sent from my SM-S327VL using Tapatalk
    A few years back, this little girl came through the line wearing a Tesla "Mechanical Resonance"
    tour jersey.

I said, "How in the world do you know who Tesla is?"

She was like, "From my mom, and they're my favorite band...Plus, we just saw them in concert
    and we got to meet Frank, but not Jeff."

That kid was amazing.
    Graver, Walking Ed, refugee from CVH & proud tone chaser...

13. The Following 2 Members Like This Post:

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen II
    Favorite VH Song

Dance the Night Away
    Last Online

05.08.19 @ 09:10 AM
    Liked 4,223 Times in 2,233 Posts

Well said.

That's when you wonder if they were ever truly "driven". Maybe a lot of them were always lazy and pursued music because it seemed easier than getting a conventional job. The first chance they get to kick back, they grab it. Maybe they were REALLY complaining that someone was making them work in the early days.

Eddie has a history and it might be telling.

He's the guy who let Dave into the band even though he didn't think much of him as a human being or a singer. "We need this guy"

We saw why as it was Dave who pushed Eddie to play the Starwood gig and propped up the whole band after the Aucoin rejection.

Then Eddie wanted to quit and go home in the middle of their first tour.

Eddie was still living with his parents when he met Valerie. That's 3 albums into their career. Apparently he needed her to get his own place.

Then Eddie wanted a break after FW. It was probably the right move, but still part of the pattern. WB forced him to go back to work.

Then Eddie wanted a break after 1984. Again the right move. But the split with Dave got him curiously motivated to make new music.

Then it was another workaholic in the band...Sammy....pushing them to work. Oddly...Eddie later claims Sammy is lazy the one time Sammy wanted a break.

Of course the split with Sammy caused Eddie once again to work with VHIII.

Alex needed money so that got Eddie on the road in 2004.

Wolf got Eddie to get back with Dave and make an album.

-----------------------

Really sounds like Eddie needs to be motivated by something in order to work. It's not a natural part of his mental makeup. If he gets into a position of comfort where he can just kick back....that's what he'll do.

He obviously worked incredibly hard to become a great guitar player. But that was teenaged Eddie and also sounds like the kind of thing a recluse would do. Kinda like how a teen might become all world at playing a video game but not so motivated to go out into the world and achieve things.

Eruption
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Humans Being
    Last Online

08.23.19 @ 12:23 PM
    Liked 948 Times in 524 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by vhin04 View Post
    According to interviews I've seen with Peart, he stopped because he had enough and he just wants to be a grandfather now for his grandchildren. He's an avid reader and writer. He never did like touring, hated it in fact, and he began bike riding and then bringing his motorcycle on tour and riding between gigs. It's the only thing that got him out on the road in the later years. He said he always enjoyed the very first show of a tour because it was fresh but after that first show he quickly became bored with the whole process. Lifeson had to lay a bit of a guilt trip on him to get him to actually do that final Rush tour because he wasn't even interested in that. Clapton has had some serious health issues in the last few years and isn't able to really play. He's stated he's just happy to be alive. Eddie is very lucky to be alive considering a few battles with cancer, alcoholism, drugs, and that diverticulitis thing that could have killed him. Maybe he's just happy to be alive and relatively healthy and doesn't want to deal with the music business and touring. Or Roth. It's not hard to understand. People often reach a point in life where they've had enough of whatever it is they do and just want to be left alone.
    Thanks for laying some truth on this. Both Lifeson and Lee stated he was in so much physical pain neither one of them could fathom how he got thru a single night. The motorcycle riding was the only way he could distract himself enough to make a tour bearable. Not criticizing Eddie, but Peart felt such a connection if not obligation to his fans, he kept at it for decades longer than anyone I know could have (Never mind the emotional turmoil he likely will never fully be free from.) Amazing human being.

Didn’t read the entire thread. Does someone have actual evidence Ed is off the wagon? Or is this brilliant rank speculation because after decades of music some here feel he owes us more? What a joke in my book. “ owes us” after saving rock in the 70’s, re-writing the book on how guitar can be played and gave generations music the had to come from or through an alien. Yeah, he OWES us. 😏

Spend a day in Ed shoes then get back to us.
    Last edited by Destructo3; 08.19.18 at 06:18 AM.

Favorite VH Album

Alex, Dave, Ed and Mike
    Favorite VH Song

The songs with Ed on them
    Last Online

08.23.19 @ 10:48 AM
    Liked 26,020 Times in 13,132 Posts

Premium Member

I don't think he owes us, and I think few if any do. What we would like is for him to release music, since he is our favorite musician. It's a wish and a hope, not a critique.
    If I don't respond to you it means I have you on ignore, which means you are a douchenozzle.

Emperor Brett - "I can't believe you guys are analyzing song-by-song Van Halen III? What next, analyzing the script of Stroker Ace looking for some shred of Citizen Kane?"

David Lee Roth did the impossible. He made Van Halen better. Deal with it!

A man's rights rests in three boxes: the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box

Hurricane Halen - Let's all gingery touch our sword tips!!!

17. The Following 4 Members Like This Post:

Eruption
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Humans Being
    Last Online

08.23.19 @ 12:23 PM
    Liked 948 Times in 524 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Dave's Dreidel View Post
    I don't think he owes us, and I think few if any do. What we would like is for him to release music, since he is our favorite musician. It's a wish and a hope, not a critique.
    This I get. Very well said. Shorter words so true and dead right have never been spoken!!!

Thank you...

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Me Wise Magic & Summer Nights
    Last Online

08.22.19 @ 08:32 PM
    Liked 314 Times in 174 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Dave's Dreidel View Post
    Well stated, and worth repeating
    "If only Eddie, Alex and Wolfgang had as much enthusiasm about Van Halen as Dave, Sammy and Mike do … " - I Coulda Hada VH

"I don't think he owes us, and I think few if any do. What we would like is for him to release music, since he is our favorite musician. It's a wish and a hope, not a critique." - Dave's Dreidel

Last Online

08.23.19 @ 11:28 AM
    Liked 1,783 Times in 759 Posts

It's amazing how rarely anyone brings up the fact that touring is WORK. It's not easy. Even with the best travel arrangements someone like EVH would have, it's a lot of work to get through a tour. Being on stage under hot lights 2 hours a nite trying to move even a little gets tiresome. The guitar gets heavy. Your shoulder hurts. Your ears get worn out. Playing the same songs for the 10,000th time that the crowd want you to play is boring. It is. When Ed smiles from the stage, it's forced. It's part of his job. I know someone (who asked not to be named) who toured with 2 of the biggest solo acts of the early 80s. I asked him what it was like... He said the hardest part is getting on stage everynite and ACTING like you enjoy playing a song you have played 10,000 times all over the planet. Knowing that you have to fake that smile because the crowd thinks that you love hearing song A,B,C as much as they do. And the guys he toured with NEEDED money, they had to tour. Ed does not. So why is it so hard to comprehend that he may be unofficially retired? I'm sure EVH does not care what McArtney does, or Springsteen or whoever.... Ed is doing what he wants to do, and right now that is nothing. Is anybody's life really THAT worse off because they couldn't go see VH this summer? Mine's not. I'm looking forward to catching 311 this week... There ARE other bands out there touring if ya need a nite out!
    ~Peace

~EJ

21. The Following 2 Members Like This Post:

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Panama
    Last Online

08.23.19 @ 02:14 PM
    Liked 8,980 Times in 6,449 Posts

Premium Member

I always thought Eddie, when on his game, was the epitome of a happy rocker. The guy has such a genuine smile that it always struck me that he was having a blast onstage.

"Partying onstage" is a phrase he once used. And when asked if the smiles were real, he said he was laughing at something he did live that he got away with. I never felt it was phony with him, regardless of singer or material.

A guy like Roth has a 'smile' that is obviously contrived or the product of social anxiety and/or drug abuse. Sammy has given the impression at times that he might be mugging for the camera, before the drones flock in.

I never thought or got the impression that Eddie was ever faking it. Just my $0.02.
    As far as touring? I bet Ed loves the crowds and instant gratification, yet not the travelling/time shifting/day to day BS.

As a shift worker, I can attest that it does take a toll on your body when you get older.
    "There's too many people on this basketball that's floating around the sun, who are too afraid to allow themselves to FEEL" - Edward Van Halen
    "Van Halen was never about the singer..." - A very wise fan.
    "Embrace the past. Live in the moment but keep your eyes on the future, and keep on moving forward..." - Richie Sambora

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Me Wise Magic & Summer Nights
    Last Online

08.22.19 @ 08:32 PM
    Liked 314 Times in 174 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by EJC View Post
    It's amazing how rarely anyone brings up the fact that touring is WORK. It's not easy. Even with the best travel arrangements someone like EVH would have, it's a lot of work to get through a tour. Being on stage under hot lights 2 hours a nite trying to move even a little gets tiresome. The guitar gets heavy. Your shoulder hurts. Your ears get worn out. Playing the same songs for the 10,000th time that the crowd want you to play is boring.
    I am not taking that away from EVH (that touring is work); watching video footage, the guy is clearly bored out of his mind at times; his playing in 2015 was flawless, but often lacks soul and emotion.

Speaking for myself, I wouldn't care if they never toured again, but I would cherish an album (or two) of all new music. Both EVH & AVH are too damned good to hang it up now.

I'd bet that Van Halen has a strong core of half a million fans. How do I come up with this number? That's approximately the number of albums that Van Halen III sold.

Put out some brand new music - whatever it is, so long as it's from the heart - and if they want to play a handful of small venues from time to time, that'd be way cool. If they decide to hang it up, it'd be an incredible shame, but God bless em.
    "If only Eddie, Alex and Wolfgang had as much enthusiasm about Van Halen as Dave, Sammy and Mike do … " - I Coulda Hada VH

"I don't think he owes us, and I think few if any do. What we would like is for him to release music, since he is our favorite musician. It's a wish and a hope, not a critique." - Dave's Dreidel