5150 / 1984
    Favorite VH Song

BOBW / Panama
    Last Online

04.03.20 @ 11:20 AM
    Liked 249 Times in 94 Posts

Default Shark Attempt 2018

Hey guys,

I'm back at it. Thank you to Donny for making this incredible Shark body and Mr. Bond for the awesome information in his thread.

I continued where Donny left off filling the grain in the front. I didn't go nuts with it because I kinda like a little grain showing.
    I painted it dupli color black to start covering the cut area. Then dupli color white and taped off for the white paint mark on the lower horn and cut area.
    I painted it dupli-color bright silver metallic Chrysler color yesterday and hope to relic and tape it up this week to paint over the weekend.

I'm deciding between a few dupli color reds I purchased. Claret Red, Dark Garnet Red and Burgundy metallic Berry Dupli-Color auto paint.

I think the winner will be Burgundy Berry. Wish me luck. If it's 1/16th as nice as Mr. Bonds I will be thrilled.

Black

White

Silver Metallic

Silver Metallic

Burgundy Berry Metallic Dupli-Color
    Now comes my favorite part of the show. It's my favorite part of the whole evening. We've been on tour since March and I have no better time anytime then right now because I get to go sit down, have myself a nice cold one and listen to the greatest rock n'roll guitar player in the world. Mr. Eddie Van Halen. - Sammy Hagar

Last Online

04.04.20 @ 12:52 PM
    Liked 4,730 Times in 1,778 Posts

Premium Member

Donor

Niiiice. Looking forward to seeing the rest of the build process! I have a friend that used the Burgundy Berry and his came out great.

3. The Following Member Likes This Post:

Banned!
    Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Panama
    Last Online

03.24.20 @ 07:57 PM
    Liked 9,315 Times in 6,703 Posts

Premium Member

Looking great so far!

5. The Following Member Likes This Post:

Hot For Teacher
    Last Online

04.04.20 @ 09:35 AM
    Liked 319 Times in 76 Posts

Can't wait to see the finished product!! I would recommend doing test reds. I found the burgundy to be a little too dark, I also had luck with Torevesta red or something like that. That was a shade too light. I would recommend doing your best to find one in the middle, something I haven't quite figured out yet! Good luck!! Off to a killer start! Donny's kits are awesome!

7. The Following Member Likes This Post:

Favorite VH Album

Balance
    Favorite VH Song

Aint Talkin Bout Love
    Last Online

04.04.20 @ 03:22 AM
    Liked 711 Times in 292 Posts

awesome job bro.... looking good and good luck. I'm sure she's gonna look great

Rob

9. The Following Member Likes This Post:

Favorite VH Album

VH1
    Last Online

10.16.19 @ 04:12 AM
    Liked 79 Times in 44 Posts

Looks great so far - looking forward to seeing your progress!
    Aint life grand!

11. The Following Member Likes This Post:

Favorite VH Album

5150 / 1984
    Favorite VH Song

BOBW / Panama
    Last Online

Thanks Everybody!!! I really appreciate all the input.

I'm going to do some paint tests painted over the silver with silver lines on wood. I like that burgundy berry but I'm now on the hunt for Toreador Red.

I'm hoping to tape Thursday, Friday and Sat and hopefully spray it Sat or Sunday. I'll post progress pictures.

BTW the taping seems insane! I'm just glad I didn't have to cut the shark mouth out, almost lost my hand on that fake wood steinberger I did.

Mr. Bond are you thinking Dark Toreader Red Metallic?

Dark Toreader Red Metallic
    Last edited by Zaxxon5150; 08.15.18 at 06:59 AM.
    Now comes my favorite part of the show. It's my favorite part of the whole evening. We've been on tour since March and I have no better time anytime then right now because I get to go sit down, have myself a nice cold one and listen to the greatest rock n'roll guitar player in the world. Mr. Eddie Van Halen. - Sammy Hagar

Hot For Teacher
    Last Online

04.04.20 @ 09:35 AM
    Liked 319 Times in 76 Posts

Huh!! Never knew that color existed!! I would for sure take a shot with that one! Looks pretty good! The tricky part as you already know with the flake is that it changes the color based on light and angle. So when you do your test reds, take them inside, outside, and look at it on different angles and make a judgement from there!

14. The Following Member Likes This Post:

Favorite VH Album

5150 / 1984
    Favorite VH Song

BOBW / Panama
    Last Online

Quote Originally Posted by mrbond5150 View Post
    Huh!! Never knew that color existed!! I would for sure take a shot with that one! Looks pretty good! The tricky part as you already know with the flake is that it changes the color based on light and angle. So when you do your test reds, take them inside, outside, and look at it on different angles and make a judgement from there!
    Thanks man, I will. I'll post some pics.

Favorite VH Album

5150 / 1984
    Favorite VH Song

BOBW / Panama
    Last Online

Man from 9pm last night till 4am this morning I've been taping away. Slept for a little bit then back at it all day today. I'm really starting to get the feeling Eddie didn't want people to copy his designs.

This was the hardest one by far for me. After some tweaks hopefully I'll get it painted tomorrow. My wife is going to kill me if I put another double shift in on it right now. It's supposed to be less humid tomorrow so I'll paint the sample paints to see which deep red I'm going to use. And hopefully spray it.

Here's some tape pic.

17. The Following 4 Members Like This Post:

Sinner's Swing!
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

HAIL, DDL, Dirty Movies
    Last Online

04.04.20 @ 07:53 AM
    Liked 2,224 Times in 1,030 Posts

That looks great. Well done.

It's amazing how long it takes to tape one of these up... Every one I've done has taken around 5 - 6 hours. You think you could knock one out in under an hour, but there is no way...

Cant wait to see it finished.
    If you have nothing nice to say about Eddie Van Halen, you're at the right website. - Me (A few years ago)

"People take Van Halen much more seriously than we do" - David Lee Roth (1980's)

"I don't sit on the end of your bed while you're trying to make a living" - David Lee Roth (1988)

"For some reason people love to complain about everything. The internet has made it easy for people to do that. Shut the fuck up and get a life, or show me how good you can do it."- Edward Van Halen

"A lot of people ask me which Van Halen singer was better. You can't compare them. It's like asking which guitarist is better. Nobody is better than anybody. Every player is their own person."-Edward Van Halen

"I do like Eddie Van Halen as a player. He gets it right quite often." -Paul McCartney

19. The Following Member Likes This Post:

Last Online

04.04.20 @ 12:52 PM
    Liked 4,730 Times in 1,778 Posts

Premium Member

Donor

Looking good! The shark has so many unique details to it. I love the different random shapes and claw mark type markings. Then thereís the set of balls by the volume knobs.

21. The Following Member Likes This Post:

Favorite VH Album

5150 / 1984
    Favorite VH Song

BOBW / Panama
    Last Online

Thanks Dutchie, the tape is crazy.

Also totally a set of balls Jedi. I have over spray on them and now it's going to be weird to "shave" it off with my x-acto knife. I also noticed the number "5" on there in 4 different ways. 4 lines with a line through it front and back, a V and 5 on the neck.

Sprayed it today. All in all I'm really happy with the way it looks despite some of it's flaws. The good. I like the color and I like how the front came out despite overspray that can be fixed. The bad, I pulled up silver on the back so I'll have to fix that. The ugly, the white mark and silver mark on the horn. I completely screwed it up. The tape didn't stick and I didn't notice when I sprayed so that part looks like garbage and will need some real attention.

I used half Dark Red Garnet Dupli-Color mostly for the first 4 coats. I finished the last couple coats with burgundy berry dupli-color. It looks dark in the room alot darker and deeper than the pictures. The pictures un modified make it look like a brighter red which is good.

Thanks for support and checking it out guys. I'll clean it up, scratch it up in the next couple days and get it put together and post some pics.

23. The Following 5 Members Like This Post:

Favorite VH Album

5150 / 1984
    Favorite VH Song

BOBW / Panama
    Last Online

I cleaned up some of the overspray. Put some parts on for a picture. I didn't notice but the Cream Pickup got kinda crooked. Can't wait to get it together.

25. The Following 5 Members Like This Post:

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen/ADKOT
    Favorite VH Song

Hot For Teacher
    Last Online

04.03.20 @ 08:26 AM
    Liked 4,012 Times in 1,988 Posts

Premium Member

Cool. That's a really cool observation about the number 5 appearing so many times. It had to be intentional.
    CNN may think my opinion matters, but you shouldn't.