Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register
Save
    Last Online

08.23.19 @ 11:28 AM
    Liked 1,783 Times in 759 Posts

Default Wrong Side of Yesterday - 1st Single from Chameleon Presence Album

So this is the best I can do. I wrote all the music and about 1/2 the lyrics. I'm asking as a friend please give it a legitimate listen and give me your honest opinion if there's any hope for my band. I'm really trying to determine if I should invest in a professional video. Solo is at 4:54. EVH Wolfgang Standard Zillaburst through Tech 21 Ritchie Kotzen pre-amp into PC.

If anyone knows someone in the music industry who might be into this type of music, please let me know. Thank you in advance...

~Peace
    Eric

2. The Following 5 Members Like This Post:

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

08.23.19 @ 10:02 PM
    Liked 16,445 Times in 7,242 Posts

Ok so first of all but I've said this before, your singer has a great voice so you've got that. Your playing is excellent, solo sounded great. It's a good song man...long but good. I can't write long songs, too much work. Four minutes is my max, or I forget how they go. You guys are a good band.

Now is there hope in what sense? Of getting famous playing this kind of music? You have to be realistic, not many bands make it period, let alone those playing rock in an era where that kind of music doesn't get the play it once did. And dude no offense but there ain't many bands with 45-year old lead guitarists making it big. Not that age matters of course, but again you have to be realistic. I'm an old man too, I don't look it, but the reality is I'm 47. Record labels and even indy labels want young acts, they don't want us old dudes. We're not hip no matter how much we think we are.

I think at some point you have just have to accept that it ain't gonna happen, and either you keep playing because you enjoy it or you move on. Now my band has been together for almost 20 years, and we tried to make it for years, but we know now we're not going anywhere now, we just keep playing because we enjoy it. You have to play for yourself, and nobody else.

I'm not trying to discourage you, but I think you guys just need to do what you're doing and if it happens it happens. If you can afford to make a video, do it, why not. It'll be something you can at least look back on with fond memories.

I hope I didn't come across as a dick, I think you guys are good. Do what you want to feel good about it man!
    Webmaster
    VHLinks.com - Your Van Halen Internet Resource Guide
    http://www.vhlinks.com

JamToThis.com
    Audio/Video Trading Community
    Tons of Van Halen!

4. The Following 2 Members Like This Post:

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen II
    Favorite VH Song

Dance the Night Away
    Last Online

05.08.19 @ 09:10 AM
    Liked 4,223 Times in 2,233 Posts

I liked almost everything about it. Good sound on the drums, bass, and guitar. Long song as Brett said. That can hold you back for some audiences.

I like the singer when he pushes his voice. I have to be honest and say he sounded a bit off key in the lower registers in the verses. I do that too and it drives me crazy. I have to re-record it until I can hit the notes. But who knows...Johnny Cash sang off key all the time.

I couldn't tell your age in the song. If you guys are older then like Brett said record labels will ignore you. However...we live in a time when bands can just ignore record labels. Steve Vai gets into that subject in some of his videos.

The showbiz part of my brain says, "Do it like Tool and Gorillaz". Those guys can do it forever and no one will know how old they are. Some call that a gimmick of course....but I think they are clever. They manage to entertain the crowd without calling attention to the band itself.

Last Online

08.23.19 @ 06:36 PM
    Liked 3,349 Times in 1,764 Posts

Couple small easy changes I'd make:

1. The guitar riff is so good, that it should be the main focus by itself.

2. Use the intro arpeg riff as the vocal melody... I believe it's rhy is something like 2&3, 2&3&4&... the placement at the start of the bar works better with that riff.

So... lose the intro guitar part altogether and reserve it for the vocal melody... Just start the track with the big chord main guitar riff... maybe with a 1 bar pickup measure with some type of fill or SFX sound.

3. You have too many details in the bass line under the guitar riff. Let the G-riff take all the focus, and have the bass play simple whole (mostly whole), and a few half or quarter notes... just simplify the bass's detailing rhy and density wise... let it ring out to fill out the low freq end more.

4. Lastly... there are major timing errors in the drums to check/correct to slightly behind the grid... I would just/also simplify the drum beat back to the most simple thing that works to have the guitar shine... and you need to put some more intensity into the drum sound... a bigger snare sound, big reverb... whatever gets it done.

The guitar riff should be 80% of the focus IMO.
    Last edited by noise next door; 08.15.18 at 10:11 AM.

Sinner's Swing! BlindtotheWorld's Avatar
    Favorite VH Album

OU812
    Favorite VH Song

Romeo Delight/Mine All Mine
    Last Online

08.15.19 @ 12:12 PM
    Liked 1,720 Times in 897 Posts

Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by Harpospoke View Post
    I like the singer when he pushes his voice. I have to be honest and say he sounded a bit off key in the lower registers in the verses.
    Totally agree with this but outside of that, it's a very quality song.....if I heard it on local rock radio stations, I wouldn't think twice.
    "Swamp people doin' their swampy things." - bsbll4

Favorite VH Album

Balance
    Favorite VH Song

Seventh Seal/Me Wise Magic
    Last Online

07.26.19 @ 04:08 PM
    Liked 504 Times in 309 Posts

Drums and vocals would be served much better by adding a good dose of reverb/ambience and sitting them back a bit. If it was an intentional choice, thats cool, the vocals are WAY too far up front in the mix, to me. Little too "Iso-Booth"-y Ie. Hetfield's vocals on Death Magnetic (small and isolated) vs Hardwired (roomy and large)

And for fucks sakes, if your hope is to make it by being discovered by a record label, just give up on that hope. Not because of the quality of your work or the age of your group or the demographic they are looking for....but because it's no longer 1973. Record labels are dead. Control your own music/publishing.

Never has the playing field for varying age & appearance group's "making it" been so level, either. EVER.

Take the song to a few other music fans that AREN'T your friends. Don't tell them it's your song. Ask them for their feedback and what they'd be interested in hearing/seeing. Make the changes. Or not. If you're happy with the finished product than record a good video, hit Instagram and YouTube. Create a website.

The old model for "making it" is out the door and definitely stop caring about if you actually do make it. Don't worry about "Likes" or "Dislikes". At the end of the day just put out content that you are passionate about.

Remember that there are Chinese girls who have millions of followers watching them eat food on YouTube. There is no model any more nor are you "too old" to make it.
    My man, when you are fantasizing, don't go for attainable, you can get attainable at the local Applebee's. - Dave's Dreidel

Last Online

Awesome, Thank you all so much for the feedback. I truly appreciate all of you taking the time to listen! We are getting some rotation on 3 or 4 diff online stations, one in Australia. Thanks again!

~Eric

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Panama
    Last Online

08.23.19 @ 10:39 PM
    Liked 8,980 Times in 6,449 Posts

Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by EJC View Post
    Awesome, Thank you all so much for the feedback. I truly appreciate all of you taking the time to listen! We are getting some rotation on 3 or 4 diff online stations, one in Australia. Thanks again!

~Eric
    Having and hearing your own music on the radio is a real trip!
    We got a few spins on local airwaves, and even a province or two away. Short lived, yet neat to think about.

Good luck with yours!
    "There's too many people on this basketball that's floating around the sun, who are too afraid to allow themselves to FEEL" - Edward Van Halen
    "Van Halen was never about the singer..." - A very wise fan.
    "Embrace the past. Live in the moment but keep your eyes on the future, and keep on moving forward..." - Richie Sambora

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Dance the Night Away
    Last Online

08.23.19 @ 11:30 AM
    Liked 6,453 Times in 3,349 Posts

This will be more "mouth of babes" since I have far less experience and talent than others commenting here. Definitely not going to get into production aspects of it since I can't mix crap and honestly thought it sounded good.

That said what Brett said. If you are in your 40's and are looking to get a ton of play, chances are that isn't going to happen since a label won't be backing you. Now maybe somebody will hear it and think about using it in a movie soundtrack or another artist is interested in using it for their song. Or possibly it does take off via online radio and leads to what you hope for. Until you TRY, you never know. I mean having it online being listened by people is cool. You and your band have talent and if the song was streaming I would leave it on.

Its really up to you if you want to continue doing this. I think you and your band have talent so why not just enjoy the ride providing its not too much work?

Atomic Punk
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Bottoms Up!
    Last Online

07.14.19 @ 09:50 PM
    Liked 4,100 Times in 2,562 Posts

Honestly, I think the intro should be paired with the vocals. That's a pretty cool melody. The riff is great but it's a seven minute tune. Gets a little to monotonous for my taste.

Personally, the intro, a few big distorted chords, then back to the intro with added touches. Harmonics, other guitar fills with different effects to enhance the melody. Save the rhythm/riff for later on. A build up type thing.

If not that, then just the riff the whole song but cut down to 4/12 minutes, or something.

Good tune, BTW. Some cool ideas there.

I agree with Brett. Music is a young persons game. Always has been.
    I do agree with the advent of social media older people (in all fields) have a better chance at stardom than they ever have, but the music industry is a different animal.

There's a reason why us forty, fifty year old's hardly ever dominant the music scene. It's driven by teens.
    The last thing they associate with is middle aged people. They need someone that looks more their age.

If you love it keep doing it to the fullest. If getting signed, or recognition is a primary factor, then you might have to revaluate.

Last Online

Thanks guys, seriously for all you input. Yeah we have no misconceptions that we are going to be rockstars. As far as the age thing, there is no way to tell our ages from our social media. A few stage pics under lights is it. And it doesn't matter really. Our singer has 2 small children and we all have full time jobs so it's not like we could "tour" anyway. Really just working some angles to get a tune in a movie or TV show would be considered a success for us. Hell even the internet stations in other countries is enough for me. Our bass player has a really nice home studio set up so its pretty easy for us to record whenever we want... It's pretty much the modern day equivalent of our dads "Bowling Leagues". Lol
    ~EJC

14. The Following 4 Members Like This Post:

Favorite VH Album

Balance
    Favorite VH Song

Seventh Seal/Me Wise Magic
    Last Online

07.26.19 @ 04:08 PM
    Liked 504 Times in 309 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by EJC View Post
    Thanks guys, seriously for all you input. Yeah we have no misconceptions that we are going to be rockstars. As far as the age thing, there is no way to tell our ages from our social media. A few stage pics under lights is it. And it doesn't matter really. Our singer has 2 small children and we all have full time jobs so it's not like we could "tour" anyway. Really just working some angles to get a tune in a movie or TV show would be considered a success for us. Hell even the internet stations in other countries is enough for me. Our bass player has a really nice home studio set up so its pretty easy for us to record whenever we want... It's pretty much the modern day equivalent of our dads "Bowling Leagues". Lol
    ~EJC
    This whole notion that you have to be a certain age to make it nowadays is bullshit. Labels literally don't matter anymore. Again, maybe in 1978....But not 2018. Thats kaka-talk.

There are older guys on YouTube who are middle aged who have hundreds of thousands of subscribers with have large fan bases all over the world. For just making guitar related YT videos...

There's no reason why a band made up of middle aged people can't make it if their songs are quality and they are able to peak the interest of a younger demographic.

On a side note I truly think that the band that properly and uniquely melds electronic music with hard rock (ala a kind of new age Pink Floyd) will make it huge.

And if the people in the band happen to be middle aged, nobody will care either.
    My man, when you are fantasizing, don't go for attainable, you can get attainable at the local Applebee's. - Dave's Dreidel