Favorite VH Album

The First One
    Favorite VH Song

I'm The One
    Last Online

08.20.19 @ 03:48 PM
    Liked 24,003 Times in 13,648 Posts

Premium Member

Rock is dead they say? Long live rock!!!

"It's so lonely at the top because it's so crowded at the bottom" - Diamond David Lee Roth

"The truth sounds like hate to those who hate the truth" - Todd Wagner

"Women and Children First ... The REAL Van Halen III"

Good Enough
    Last Online

08.17.19 @ 10:56 PM
    Liked 433 Times in 205 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Brett View Post
    Itís a 2019 version of Hanson. If this band was around 30 years ago they would have been laughed out of the industry. Rock music and specifically hard rock music is so dead that any inkling of a band using distorted guitars is seen as some sort of pioneering thing.

How can you take the singer in Greta Van Suck seriously? Look at the guy. Heís a tool. And heís a not a good singer. Their act is so contrived and forced I donít know what the fuck you guys are seeing. The fact that apparently these guys won a Grammy tells me all I need to know.
    I could not agree more. They really suck. The trick is to do your own thing and NOT sound like who you were influenced by. For examples of this, see The Beatles, Led Zeppelin, and Van Halen. Greta Van Fleet won that Grammy because there's nothing else out there. That's how dead rock is.

Van Halen is probably the best example of this considering they sound nothing like Cream and Led Zeppelin and yet influenced a hoard of imitators who sucked because guess what? They tried--and failed--to sound just like Van Halen. I remember Eddie saying when they started out, people called them The Junior Cream. It was only when they created their own identity that they broke through and made it. They formed their own sound and moved away from Cream. Even when they did a Cream cover, it sounded nothing like Cream. In fact, Van Halen is one of the best cover bands of all time because their versions DON'T sound like the originals. Its about surprising people--giving people what they aren't expecting. Art is about individuality, and rock n' roll is about not conforming.

Greta Van Fleeting epitomizes what is wrong with rock.
    Leave everything to me!-Powdered Toast Man

3. The Following 2 Members Like This Post:

Favorite VH Album

The Magnificent 7
    Last Online

08.20.19 @ 03:53 PM
    Liked 17,696 Times in 10,040 Posts

Premium Member

Wow. You’d think it was an article about Greta Van Fleet. I would have posted it in the Greta thread if that was the case.

You guys hate them that much, eh? Who knew?

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

08.20.19 @ 03:26 PM
    Liked 16,429 Times in 7,233 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by bklynboy68 View Post
    Wow. Youíd think it was an article about Greta Van Fleet. I would have posted it in the Greta thread if that was the case.

You guys hate them that much, eh? Who knew?
    Brook you are not getting away with posting stuff about how great they are.
    Webmaster
    VHLinks.com - Your Van Halen Internet Resource Guide
    http://www.vhlinks.com

JamToThis.com
    Audio/Video Trading Community
    Tons of Van Halen!

6. The Following Member Likes This Post:

Hot For Teacher
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

I'm The One
    Last Online

05.10.19 @ 10:51 AM
    Liked 68 Times in 39 Posts

I agree GVF are weak, the only credit I can give them is at least the singer is actually singing and not just screaming/roaring which is a massive problem in rock and metal these days. We need the next Axl/DLR/Bon Scott/Mercury/Jagger to emerge ASAP but grunge kinda killed the RnR frontman and RnR guitarist, which is unfortunate, cos that is the cornerstone of any great rock band.

The current top band to emerge in recent years (can't believe it's been 15 yrs actually) are Alter Bridge - incredible vocalist and my 2nd favourite guitarist after Eddie. They are pretty huge over here in Europe but the US just don't seem to have taken to them the same way.

8. The Following Member Likes This Post:

Last Online

08.20.19 @ 04:24 PM
    Liked 3,855 Times in 2,437 Posts

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by EDDIEVH View Post
    I agree GVF are weak, the only credit I can give them is at least the singer is actually singing and not just screaming/roaring which is a massive problem in rock and metal these days. We need the next Axl/DLR/Bon Scott/Mercury/Jagger to emerge ASAP but grunge kinda killed the RnR frontman and RnR guitarist, which is unfortunate, cos that is the cornerstone of any great rock band.

The current top band to emerge in recent years (can't believe it's been 15 yrs actually) are Alter Bridge - incredible vocalist and my 2nd favourite guitarist after Eddie. They are pretty huge over here in Europe but the US just don't seem to have taken to them the same way.
    Iíve seen Myles many times live with Slash and the Conspirators. I donít care for his vox, I think heís an acquired taste.

Re: GVF vox...I think as long term VH fans weíve been versed in how to spot ripoff tribute hacks because of all the VH copycats in the 80ís. And GVF is about as a millennial hack Zep retread as it gets.

Hot For Teacher
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

I'm The One
    Last Online

05.10.19 @ 10:51 AM
    Liked 68 Times in 39 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Van Squalen View Post
    I’ve seen Myles many times live with Slash and the Conspirators. I don’t care for his vox, I think he’s an acquired taste.

Re: GVF vox...I think as long term VH fans we’ve been versed in how to spot ripoff tribute hacks because of all the VH copycats in the 80’s. And GVF is about as a millennial hack Zep retread as it gets.
    Slash's last couple of records with Myles have been great, newest one not so much. I'm actually going to see them on Sunday. Whilst Myles does a decent job with Slash he is far better in Alter Bridge I feel. I've read a lot of comments about Myles over the years and it does seem to be, and please nobody take this the wrong way, that he's an acquired taste in the US. In Europe, his voice is widely lauded but it seems to grate with some of our American friends and I have no idea why. I do think that's why they're bigger over here, I personally prefer a unique voice rather than a generic one. I do feel lyrically Myles is pretty strong with Alter Bridge as well.

11. The Following Member Likes This Post:

Last Online

08.20.19 @ 04:24 PM
    Liked 3,855 Times in 2,437 Posts

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by EDDIEVH View Post
    Slash's last couple of records with Myles have been great, newest one not so much. I'm actually going to see them on Sunday. Whilst Myles does a decent job with Slash he is far better in Alter Bridge I feel. I've read a lot of comments about Myles over the years and it does seem to be, and please nobody take this the wrong way, that he's an acquired taste in the US. In Europe, his voice is widely lauded but it seems to grate with some of our American friends and I have no idea why. I do think that's why they're bigger over here, I personally prefer a unique voice rather than a generic one. I do feel lyrically Myles is pretty strong with Alter Bridge as well.
    I believe you. Donít get me wrong, Iím a big fan of Slashís solo stuff and I like a lot of Mylesís collabs with him...Halo, Carolina, Anastasia, Read Between the Lines...and I liked his first collab with slash on that first album...starlight, I think. Overall though, his high octaves have a certain grating tone, to my ears.

I admit I havenít sampled enough alterbridge to make a definitive conclusion about them.
    Last edited by Van Squalen; 02.12.19 at 02:32 PM.

Eruption
    Favorite VH Album

VH II
    Favorite VH Song

Bottoms Up
    Last Online

08.19.19 @ 08:15 PM
    Liked 253 Times in 182 Posts

Heard a new song today by Three Days Graced called, I think 'Left Right Wrong'

Favorite VH Album

Balance
    Last Online

08.20.19 @ 03:25 PM
    Liked 178 Times in 92 Posts

Favorite VH Album

1984, VH1, ADKOT
    Favorite VH Song

ATBL, China Town
    Last Online

08.20.19 @ 01:30 PM
    Liked 283 Times in 169 Posts

Feral Roots is a great album!

I actually grew to really like the new Slash/Myles album. It's a bit of a grower compared to the last two. I think The Great Pretender is one of the best tracks they've done
    Last edited by KS 5150; 02.13.19 at 06:14 AM.
    "People ask me how far I've come. And I tell them twelve feet: from the audience to the stage." - David Lee Roth

Favorite VH Album

1984, VH1, ADKOT
    Favorite VH Song

ATBL, China Town
    Last Online

You know, I was kind of contemplating the ongoing vitriol here & elsewhere regarding GVF, and their apparent plagiarism of Zeppelin. They do sound very close, don't get me wrong, and also borrow some of Page & Plant's mannerisms to boot. I think it's really easy to jump on the bandwagon of negativity in this current age of keyboard warriors & haters.
    I can think of three other recent examples of new bands that sound extremely close to classic bands, with nary a complaint or whimper:
    - Airbourne sound exactly like early AC/DC.....& I mean exactly
    - The Struts sound a ton like Queen, and their singer, Luke Spiller, is a dead ringer for Freddie Mercury, and also sounds exactly like him.
    - Inglorious sound very Zep, albeit with a singer who sounds more like David Coverversion.
    - Even Rival Sons, whom I love, sound very Zep. Listen to "Destination On Course" for an example.
    - Has anyone ever heard Bonham & Kingdom Come? Blatant rip-offs with none of the spirit of LZ.

So why no hate for these bands? Is there an envy thing from fans & other bands bc GVF got so big so fast? Or is there another explanation? They're a good band & a long way from Hanson, as they were previously compared to in this post. My recollections of Hanson using proper vintage gear, a Hammond organ, or a '61 Les Paul are kinda fuzzy...thoughts?!?
    Last edited by KS 5150; 02.13.19 at 07:55 AM.
    "People ask me how far I've come. And I tell them twelve feet: from the audience to the stage." - David Lee Roth

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

08.20.19 @ 03:26 PM
    Liked 16,429 Times in 7,233 Posts

Default The Official "ROCK IS NOT DEAD" Thread

I donít even know most of the bands you named. Iím just not interested in new music. So canít help you there. But Iíve been forced to hear GVF from time to time. And OMG people do nothing but bag on Kingdom Come here, and they suck too.

You can like GVF all you want, but I find them to be contrived and an uninteresting. Theyíve been force-fed to the mainstream just like Hanson, and I donít think thereís very much difference at all. Hanson wrote their songs (including their biggest hit) and played all their instruments too. What because they didnít use vintage instruments (and who knows what they used) that means theyíre somehow less of a musician? Thatís what youíre basing any of this on?

If I could afford vintage instruments Iíd buy them too. That makes no sense.

Iím not envious of anything. I have no interest in being in a band like GVF nor do I give a fuck about being a rockstar. Iím an old guy who is perfectly fine with his existence. Wouldnít I be jealous of every rockstar and hate every band if that were the case?

What new ground have they broken as artists that puts them above criticism?
    Webmaster
    VHLinks.com - Your Van Halen Internet Resource Guide
    http://www.vhlinks.com

JamToThis.com
    Audio/Video Trading Community
    Tons of Van Halen!

Favorite VH Album

Balance
    Last Online

08.20.19 @ 03:25 PM
    Liked 178 Times in 92 Posts

Too me listening to GVF is worse than listening to a Zep tribute band. I mean, if I can listen to that, I can listen to Roxy Blue and take them seriously... which I can't. Just my take on it, though.

Favorite VH Album

1984, VH1, ADKOT
    Favorite VH Song

ATBL, China Town
    Last Online

Quote Originally Posted by Brett View Post
    I don’t even know most of the bands you named. I’m just not interested in new music. So can’t help you there. But I’ve been forced to hear GVF from time to time. And OMG people do nothing but bag on Kingdom Come here, and they suck too.

You can like GVF all you want, but I find them to be contrived and an uninteresting. They’ve been force-fed to the mainstream just like Hanson, and I don’t think there’s very much difference at all. Hanson wrote their songs (including their biggest hit) and played all their instruments too. What because they didn’t use vintage instruments (and who knows what they used) that means they’re somehow less of a musician? That’s what you’re basing any of this on?

If I could afford vintage instruments I’d buy them too. That makes no sense.

I’m not envious of anything. I have no interest in being in a band like GVF nor do I give a fuck about being a rockstar. I’m an old guy who is perfectly fine with his existence. Wouldn’t I be jealous of every rockstar and hate every band if that were the case?
    I get what you're saying. I'm just trying to point out the fact that they're not the only band who "borrows" aspects of their sound from others, but they're the only ones who get impaled for it. I used Airbourne as an example bc they sound as close to AC/DC as GVF sounds to Zep, without the vitriol. I heard some backlash about Kingdom Come back in the day, but pre-internet, it wasn't anywhere near as nasty.
    I wasn't singling out yourself as envious, but that does exist elsewhere online, believe me. Many LZ fans & other bands have shredded them mercilessly, and I understand it to a point. Strangely, Robert Plant himself is a fan. But in this era it's much easier to rag on something than it ever was before. All you need is Wi-fi. There's always a tendency to tear down something as soon as it's wildly successful. We've all seen enough examples of that.
    The reason I mentioned the vintage instruments is that they also get ripped on guitar forums for daring to use old instruments, as apparently it's better that they rot in bank vaults, rather than being actually played. I like the fact I can potentially go to a concert with a current band, and see something that cool being used.
    I just get tired of all the hatred online, especially in a post that's supposed to just give light to cool, new bands. I understand some of it, and it's just the way of the world nowadays. Anyways, that's all I have to say.

I don't mean to upset or offend anyone. I go out of my way to not rag on or insult any other band showcased here, as some of them are not my thing, but I respect others' rights to enjoy whomever they like.
    Last edited by KS 5150; 02.13.19 at 08:39 AM.

20. The Following Member Likes This Post: