Page 1 of 11 1234 ... LastLast
    Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Dreams
    Last Online

09.14.19 @ 08:53 PM
    Liked 1,290 Times in 822 Posts

Default What Sammy (& Mike) Should Do

I may have mentioned this before, but with all of the news of him lobbying to get back in VH the past couple of years and touring with The Circle, and the fact that he's 70 now...

He should keep "The Circle" and simply just add another guitarist. A great one. To play the Halen tunes.

Keep Vic to play lead on some of the solo/Montrose/Zep tunes, but have someone in the band who can make the fans happier. I have no problems with VJ, but obviously a lot of people do. He can remain loyal to the last remaining Waborita and excite the audience at the same time. It's a win-win.

Satriani? Ideally and obviously, but apparently the rumor is that he doesn't want to play those songs. Hell if he did, they should just make Bonham Chickenfoot's drummer for when Chad can't be there and keep going. But I guess that's not the case.

Another high-profile name? I would say yes to get more asses in the seats but I would also be happy with a no-name like that Deraps guy, as long as they can put on a show and being able to write good music because that's equally as important. New music trumps all!

This would be the best way for him to finish his career (which I hope isn't until he's 100+!) and keep his legacy. And, should a Van Hagar or Chickenfoot reunion occur, they just put it on hold for the time being. How hard is that?

Also, of course mix up the setlist and throw in some different Van Halen songs. Throw in some different solo, Montrose, and Chickenfoot songs, too. And I'd ease up on the Zeppelin songs. Two songs per set, tops. And I say that even know they're my second favorite band. It's The Red Rocker's legacy, not theirs. Unless he gets Jimmy Page and the best 2 bands of all-time combine their legacies.

So who would this guitarist be? Dweezil? Schon? Sykes? DeMartini? How about Vai or Nuno?! That would be crazy!

I think he's crazy if he doesn't do this. Such a simple solution. It's THE best and right way. Right here, right now.
    Dave
    VH FOREVER!!!!!!!

Stats:
    BECAME PSYCHO FAN: 12/91
    VAN HALEN W/DAVE: 9x
    VAN HALEN W/SAMMY: 8x
    VAN HALEN W/GARY: 5x
    CHICKENFOOT/THE CIRCLE: 9x
    DAVE SOLO: 13x
    SAMMY SOLO: 15x (W/MONTROSE 1x, @CABO WABO CANTINA 1x)
    GARY/EXTREME/TRIBE OF JUDAH/HURTSMILE: 7x
    MET: Sammy 1x, Dave almost 1x, Gary 2x

Banned!
    Last Online

11.25.18 @ 06:41 PM
    Liked 11,189 Times in 6,765 Posts

Premium Member

Satch was pussy for not playing any VH by the time the 2nd CF tour rolled around. As far as adding another guitar player to handle only VH songs...that would never happen. That would basically be Sam telling Vic "you suck".

Sam plays guitar. Let him do VH.
    Last edited by CaboChris; 07.12.18 at 09:20 AM.

3. The Following Member Likes This Post:

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Dreams
    Last Online

09.14.19 @ 08:53 PM
    Liked 1,290 Times in 822 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by CaboChris View Post
    Satch was pussy for not playing any VH by the time the 2nd CF tour rolled around. As far as adding another guitar player to handle only VH songs...that would never happen. That would basically be Sam telling Vic "you suck".

Sam plays guitar. Let him do VH.
    Have Vic play lead on one of them. Problem solved.
    Dave
    VH FOREVER!!!!!!!

Stats:
    BECAME PSYCHO FAN: 12/91
    VAN HALEN W/DAVE: 9x
    VAN HALEN W/SAMMY: 8x
    VAN HALEN W/GARY: 5x
    CHICKENFOOT/THE CIRCLE: 9x
    DAVE SOLO: 13x
    SAMMY SOLO: 15x (W/MONTROSE 1x, @CABO WABO CANTINA 1x)
    GARY/EXTREME/TRIBE OF JUDAH/HURTSMILE: 7x
    MET: Sammy 1x, Dave almost 1x, Gary 2x

Banned!
    Last Online

Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by DFVH5150 View Post
    Have Vic play lead on one of them. Problem solved.
    I never thought about how Sam would sound playing Ed's riffs. I'd be curious to hear his interpretations of BOBW or Poundcake.

Favorite VH Album

Pirates of the Carribean
    Favorite VH Song

How Many Say Aye?
    Last Online

09.14.19 @ 02:19 PM
    Liked 2,857 Times in 1,478 Posts

Premium Member

Donor

Default What Sammy (& Mike) Should Do

...That would basically be Sam telling Vic "you suck"....
    “What is understood need not be discussed.”

🤪🤪🤪
    -TVH-

There seems to be some perverse human characteristic that likes to make easy things difficult. -Warren Buffett

If there must be trouble, let it be in my day, that my child may have peace. -Thomas Paine

What is government itself but the greatest of all reflections on human nature? - James Madison

Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the Government take care of him better take a closer look at the American Indian. - Henry Ford

7. The Following 4 Members Like This Post:

Last Online

09.15.19 @ 12:37 AM
    Liked 3,995 Times in 2,534 Posts

Donor

I'm glad Satch never plays VH songs. Way too much comparison would be elicited. And at this point, his guitar-arthritis fingers seem to be handling aging a bit better than Eddie's.

I can't believe Eddie is 63 and Satch is 61. Man, we are fuckin' old.

9. The Following 3 Members Like This Post:

Banned!
    Last Online

Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by Van Squalen View Post
    Way too much comparison would be elicited.
    What's wrong with that?

11. The Following Member Likes This Post:

Last Online

Donor

What's wrong with that?
    Oh, I don't know. Maybe online VH fanboys might take exception to anyone but Eddie playing VH tunes. I heard they are a finicky and fickle bunch.

Sammy fans wouldn't care less. But me, I don't want to hear Satch play VH anymore than I'd want to hear Ed play the 'Foot. Two separate dealios. Yes, they both have Sam and Mike (sometimes), but the power trios in each outfit really do have different chemistry entirely.

Banned!
    Last Online

Premium Member

Oh, I don't know. Maybe online VH fanboys might take exception to anyone but Eddie playing VH tunes. I heard they are a finicky and fickle bunch.

Sammy fans wouldn't care less. But me, I don't want to hear Satch play VH anymore than I'd want to hear Ed play the 'Foot. Two separate dealios. Yes, they both have Sam and Mike (sometimes), but the power trios in each outfit really do have different chemistry entirely.
    I want to hear great players play each other's shit and many do. Not too long ago, The Circle, I think it was...jammed Poundcake with Steve Stevens. He did a great job. Better than Vic could ever do. Nobody has a problem when Ed covers Dazed and Confused etc.

He does them justice. I'm also pretty sure Joe covers a lot of guitar greats. Don't know why Ed should be off limits.

14. The Following Member Likes This Post:

Last Online

09.14.19 @ 10:14 AM
    Liked 1,832 Times in 781 Posts

I'll jump in here...

Just guessing, but Joe is for all intense purposes on the same level as Ed. His career is sorta in its Twilight, and I don't think he wants to go out doing VH covers. In his mind, it may diminish his contributions to rock guitar in the 80s-90s.

And it's a no win situation for him. If he plays them note for note, people will say "Oh Satch just copied Ed's shit, can't come up with his own", or if he improvises, it's "Oh Satch butchers all Ed's solo's".

Now other than Surfing with the Alien, I'm not really a Satch guy... But I can totally understand why he wouldn't want to do VH covers... He is a great guitarist in his own right and I'm sure wants to be remembered for his own compositions, be it solo stuff or Chickenfoot stuff...

~E

16. The Following 2 Members Like This Post:

Banned!
    Last Online

Premium Member

Why is this only the case with Satriani? How many other guitar players have covered VH?

Nobody says this stuff when Yngwie plays VH or some country dude like Paisley busts out HFT but nooooo not Satriani. The comparisons. Oh the horror! Lol

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

09.13.19 @ 09:15 PM
    Liked 215 Times in 87 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by EJC View Post
    I'll jump in here...

Just guessing, but Joe is for all intense purposes on the same level as Ed. His career is sorta in its Twilight, and I don't think he wants to go out doing VH covers. In his mind, it may diminish his contributions to rock guitar in the 80s-90s.

And it's a no win situation for him. If he plays them note for note, people will say "Oh Satch just copied Ed's shit, can't come up with his own", or if he improvises, it's "Oh Satch butchers all Ed's solo's".

Now other than Surfing with the Alien, I'm not really a Satch guy... But I can totally understand why he wouldn't want to do VH covers... He is a great guitarist in his own right and I'm sure wants to be remembered for his own compositions, be it solo stuff or Chickenfoot stuff...

~E
    Yup. No "great" player with his own legacy is going to join The Circle for anything other than a one-off. I don't follow The Circle very closely, but in the vids I've seen, Vic seems perfectly capable. Obviously, there are random dudes who can cop the notes and tone more faithfully, but I don't think that matters much to the average fan. Most come to hear the songs, not the guitar heroics.
    ~Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it.~

Laurence J. Peter

19. The Following Member Likes This Post:

Last Online

Donor

I want to hear great players play each other's shit and many do. Not too long ago, The Circle, I think it was...jammed Poundcake with Steve Stevens. He did a great job. Better than Vic could ever do. Nobody has a problem when Ed covers Dazed and Confused etc.

He does them justice. I'm also pretty sure Joe covers a lot of guitar greats. Don't know why Ed should be off limits.
    I wouldn't say Joe covers a lot, but of course he does - Highway Star comes to mind - once in a while. I think the general consensus is that covering legendary influences is different than covering still working contemporaries.

LOL, btw....saying Steve Stevens covers anything better than Vic is superfluous. Steve Stevens is absolutely one of the top ten rock guitarists still working today. That mother can shred, and in a lot of ways, rivals and sometimes even exceeds Satch and Eddie. He's a fucking bad ass and not many axe men can keep up with him.

I don't really want to hear great players cover each others' shit. I want to hear them play their own shit.
    Last edited by Van Squalen; 07.12.18 at 11:51 AM.

21. The Following Member Likes This Post:

Banned!
    Last Online

Premium Member

I don't really want to hear great players cover each others' shit. I want to hear them play their own shit.
    Diver Down must be tough for you then.

Last Online

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by C Brown View Post
    Vic seems perfectly capable.
    He's more than capable. I've seen him live a lot. He's slagged around here far more than is deserved. Yes, his tone is different than Ed's and a lot of people don't like it, and yes, he doesn't always play the VH tunes with consistent precision. Neither does anyone else, even Eddie himself, fwiw. He's no Eddie, nor Satch, but he's a solid musician unfairly maligned.

Not many fanboys here give too many kudos to people who aren't Eddie.

24. The Following Member Likes This Post: