Register
Save
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Good Enough
    Last Online

09.24.18 @ 09:38 PM
    Liked 1,393 Times in 771 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Wildman View Post
    It hasn't been going on forever, because the technology to edit music and patch music to people's devices hasn't been around forever. We are talking about replacing music people already own. Not offering a new album, but changing what you have on your devices. Like, waking up to listen to your favorite song on your phone, but now it sounds completely different, and no way to get the old sound back.

This will probably move beyond pop. I'm not sure people are seeing the big picture here.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk
    I think you're right. Mustaine and Gibbons wouldn't have to release new albums that you had the right to refuse, they'll just George Lucas the album you bought three years ago. Every musician says songs evolve as they play them over the years, so...my God, what if you turned on "Shout at the Devil" and heard that weak 2000's version? Or when The Police did the "Don't Stand So Close to Me `86" that had nothing in common with the original but the lyrics? Oh, this could get ugly. ALL artists will be tempted to touch things up, or even re-record things entirely as technology improves.

My God, think about it -- Michael Anthony disappearing and Wolf suddenly turning up on your old Van Halen albums! Who do we petition about this?!

Sinner's Swing!
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

In A Simple Rhyme
    Last Online

09.24.18 @ 05:56 PM
    Liked 958 Times in 540 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ArtyBoy View Post
    I think you're right. Mustaine and Gibbons wouldn't have to release new albums that you had the right to refuse, they'll just George Lucas the album you bought three years ago. Every musician says songs evolve as they play them over the years, so...my God, what if you turned on "Shout at the Devil" and heard that weak 2000's version? Or when The Police did the "Don't Stand So Close to Me `86" that had nothing in common with the original but the lyrics? Oh, this could get ugly. ALL artists will be tempted to touch things up, or even re-record things entirely as technology improves.

My God, think about it -- Michael Anthony disappearing and Wolf suddenly turning up on your old Van Halen albums! Who do we petition about this?!
    That last one...I can see that.
    blah blah blah Devin Townsend blah blah blah

https://www.facebook.com/devintownsendexperience

3. The Following Member Likes This Post:

Hang 'Em High
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Bottoms Up!
    Last Online

09.12.18 @ 03:06 PM
    Liked 2,949 Times in 1,890 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Wildman View Post
    It hasn't been going on forever, because the technology to edit music and patch music to people's devices hasn't been around forever. We are talking about replacing music people already own. Not offering a new album, but changing what you have on your devices. Like, waking up to listen to your favorite song on your phone, but now it sounds completely different, and no way to get the old sound back.

This will probably move beyond pop. I'm not sure people are seeing the big picture here.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk
    Yeah, I get it's new tech, but changing is changing. It's been dun forever. Now it's just easier for them to do it.

You gotta isolate it so they can't change it.

This is a pop thing. People that don't play instruments, mostly. Actual musicians aren't going to be so into changing instrument tracks.... they already believe it's how they want it.

Baluchitherium
    Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Drop Dead Legs
    Last Online

09.24.18 @ 02:21 PM
    Liked 3,256 Times in 1,634 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by PrideofPasadena View Post
    Yeah, I get it's new tech, but changing is changing. It's been dun forever. Now it's just easier for them to do it.

This is a pop thing. People that don't play instruments, mostly. Actual musicians aren't going to be so into changing instrument tracks.... they already believe it's how they want it.
    Well at this point almost none of my favorite old bands are making new albums anyway so as a practical matter I'm not very concerned (plus I'm still a hoarder of physical media), but I don't think your last statement is true. I don't know how many times I've read musicians (just like filmmakers and other artists) say that their projects are ultimately abandoned because of lack of time and never really finished. I've heard many of my favorite musicians say they wish they could go back and change things.

Now, of the ones that would want to some might still choose not to out of respect for their fans but I don't think ANY musician who really cares about what they do wouldn't want to go back and change some things if they could. Rush has changed several arrangements for songs live and specifically said they wish that's the way the original songs were. Now, that doesn't bother me any because I like that the live versions add some variety to some songs I've heard a ton of times, but it would suck in the extreme if all of the sudden I put on Natural Science or The Analog Kid or many others and even the old studio albums now matched the modern changes.

6. The Following Member Likes This Post:

Baluchitherium
    Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Drop Dead Legs
    Last Online

Quote Originally Posted by ArtyBoy View Post

I hate that version so much, and for ages that's the version they've played live. Ugh.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained, Hear About It Later
    Last Online

09.24.18 @ 01:54 PM
    Liked 2,540 Times in 1,738 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by snowdog View Post
    I hate that version so much, and for ages that's the version they've played live. Ugh.
    Shout at the Devil 1997 was played like that for what 5-8 years or so? I think after that, they just played it shitty and Vince couldn't sing anymore so it sounded like the 97 version.....lol

+++

Baluchitherium
    Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Drop Dead Legs
    Last Online

Quote Originally Posted by atomicpunk5151 View Post
    Shout at the Devil 1997 was played like that for what 5-8 years or so? I think after that, they just played it shitty and Vince couldn't sing anymore so it sounded like the 97 version.....lol

+++

All I know is it's the 1997 version on all 3 Motley Crue DVDs I own, Carnival of Sins from the 2005 tour, Cruefest from the 2008 tour, and The End from their last tour in 2015.

10. The Following Member Likes This Post:

Favorite VH Album

F.U.C.K. 1984
    Favorite VH Song

Feels So Good (deal with it...
    Last Online

09.24.18 @ 10:50 AM
    Liked 487 Times in 263 Posts

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by PrideofPasadena View Post

I don't know. Jeff Lynne of ELO fame spent years re-recording his classics!

https://www.laweekly.com/music/jeff-...-there-2403563

For Lynne though, many of these songs were never quite right, which is kind of why I'm here. Lynne has spent the last three years in his studio, re-recording ELO's biggest hits from scratch. Seriously. "I listened to the songs," Lynne says, "and I thought, 'that doesn't sound as good as I remember.' I was quite an inexperienced producer when I made those albums."

The newly refurbished tracks make up Mr. Blue Sky - The Very Best of Electric Light Orchestra. The album also coincides with the 40th anniversary of the band. Lynne worked six days a week perfecting songs including "Do Ya," "Evil Woman," "Strange Magic," and "Don't Bring Me Down." He did this at home, mostly on his own. "I just love playing all the instruments and going back and thinking 'fucking hell, I did all that.'"

The new old songs sound excellent -- clean with the thousand layers of upscale instrumentation, cellos, violins, etc., that made Electric Light Orchestra one of most ambitions acts of the 1970s and early '80s. To my untrained ear, the primary difference on the new recordings is Lynne's voice. It's slightly warmer, lower, more mature, the result of age and a maybe a few wild nights on the road. "I used to be a big smoker and drinker," Lynne says. "You're on tour and of course you want to party, because that's what everyone is doing. I wasn't going to miss out on all the fun and games, but it messes your throat up."
    Signature not currently available. You aren't missing much.

12. The Following Member Likes This Post:

Favorite VH Song

"Dance The Night Away"
    Last Online

09.24.18 @ 06:04 PM
    Liked 1,799 Times in 1,237 Posts

if they do that and release it as a new collection, that I'm (sort of) okay with. But an album released in 1975 should still sound the same in 2015. Remastered if necessary, but not remixed!

Baluchitherium
    Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Drop Dead Legs
    Last Online

Yeah, I don't have any problem with going back and redoing stuff as long as the originals are still available. The same with movie remakes and such. I'm cool with anybody wanting to remake a movie, if it's good then great and if it sucks then who cares, we still have the original. But replacing music or film is a different story.

Good Enough
    Last Online

09.24.18 @ 09:38 PM
    Liked 1,393 Times in 771 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by jetguy5150 View Post
    To my untrained ear, the primary difference on the new recordings is Lynne's voice. It's slightly warmer, lower, more mature, the result of age and a maybe a few wild nights on the road. "I used to be a big smoker and drinker," Lynne says. "You're on tour and of course you want to party, because that's what everyone is doing. I wasn't going to miss out on all the fun and games, but it messes your throat up."
    Ooh, sign me up for the new version where the AARP-qualified singer's throat is messed up!

16. The Following Member Likes This Post:

Favorite VH Album

Balance
    Last Online

09.24.18 @ 06:01 PM
    Liked 211 Times in 123 Posts

I wish Billy Joel would go back and re-record some of his early stuff. Well, possibly as late as The Bridge. Some of the things that were done to make the songs faster really screwed with his voice on the recordings. The drums need work too.

Hang 'Em High
    Favorite VH Album

Depends on the Day of the Week
    Favorite VH Song

HAIL, D.O.A., TYWH
    Last Online

09.24.18 @ 09:31 PM
    Liked 1,727 Times in 1,052 Posts

To my untrained ear, the primary difference on the new recordings is Lynne's voice. It's slightly warmer, lower, more mature, the result of age and a maybe a few wild nights on the road. "I used to be a big smoker and drinker," Lynne says. "You're on tour and of course you want to party, because that's what everyone is doing. I wasn't going to miss out on all the fun and games, but it messes your throat up."
    That's what she said (the erstwhile groupie)..

Quote Originally Posted by rocknblues81 View Post
    In other words, music artists are turning into a bunch of George Lucas.
    Or worse... If you're James Patrick Page. Actually cutting out parts of live songs for re-releases. Darth Pageous.
    "The VH Universe is built on a wall that separates CVH from SVH. Tell either side there's no wall, you've bought a war. Or a slaughter." Lt. Joshi - LAPD

19. The Following 3 Members Like This Post:

Baluchitherium
    Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Drop Dead Legs
    Last Online

Quote Originally Posted by The Rover View Post
    That's what she said (the erstwhile groupie)..

Or worse... If you're James Patrick Page. Actually cutting out parts of live songs for re-releases. Darth Pageous.
    Yeah, the new super deluxe box sets idea of "Now, with less of what you already had before!" are pretty frustrating!

Hang 'Em High
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Bottoms Up!
    Last Online

09.12.18 @ 03:06 PM
    Liked 2,949 Times in 1,890 Posts

https://www.laweekly.com/music/jeff-...-there-2403563

For Lynne though, many of these songs were never quite right, which is kind of why I'm here. Lynne has spent the last three years in his studio, re-recording ELO's biggest hits from scratch. Seriously. "I listened to the songs," Lynne says, "and I thought, 'that doesn't sound as good as I remember.' I was quite an inexperienced producer when I made those albums."

The newly refurbished tracks make up Mr. Blue Sky - The Very Best of Electric Light Orchestra. The album also coincides with the 40th anniversary of the band. Lynne worked six days a week perfecting songs including "Do Ya," "Evil Woman," "Strange Magic," and "Don't Bring Me Down." He did this at home, mostly on his own. "I just love playing all the instruments and going back and thinking 'fucking hell, I did all that.'"

The new old songs sound excellent -- clean with the thousand layers of upscale instrumentation, cellos, violins, etc., that made Electric Light Orchestra one of most ambitions acts of the 1970s and early '80s. To my untrained ear, the primary difference on the new recordings is Lynne's voice. It's slightly warmer, lower, more mature, the result of age and a maybe a few wild nights on the road. "I used to be a big smoker and drinker," Lynne says. "You're on tour and of course you want to party, because that's what everyone is doing. I wasn't going to miss out on all the fun and games, but it messes your throat up."
    I'm not saying it's not gonna happen. It will. But it's a minute percentage. Half the bands we grew up loving aren't gonna change things. This doesn't effect us old guys. If you are young and love old music than you might be slightly worried.