Page 4 of 41 FirstFirst 123456714 ... LastLast
    Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Dreams
    Last Online

02.15.19 @ 01:05 PM
    Liked 1,083 Times in 671 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by VH1988 View Post
    Yeah I guess recording a new album due out this Fall and throwing your own festival with Live Nation means he’s sitting around trying to join a dysfunctional part time band. LOL

Let’s not forget his radio show, TV show, philanthropy, Businesses, Cabo Wabo, Chickenfoot etc.

Such a tired narrative from the Roth Army.

VH are too miserable for Sammy and Mike.
    Definitely due out this fall?!
    Dave
    VH FOREVER!!!!!!!

Stats:
    BECAME PSYCHO FAN: 12/91
    VAN HALEN W/DAVE: 9x
    VAN HALEN W/SAMMY: 8x
    VAN HALEN W/GARY: 5x
    CHICKENFOOT/THE CIRCLE: 7x
    DAVE SOLO: 13x
    SAMMY SOLO: 15x (W/MONTROSE 1x, @CABO WABO CANTINA 1x)
    GARY/EXTREME/TRIBE OF JUDAH/HURTSMILE: 7x
    MET: Sammy 1x, Dave almost 1x, Gary 2x

Good Enough
    Last Online

02.15.19 @ 04:42 PM
    Liked 2,316 Times in 961 Posts

[QUOTE=Darrin Stephens;2163929]Sam has had an array of stuff he does. His happiness is not dependent on VH etc...
    Also overlooked in the BOBW he keeps pushing is it is not because he is out and Dave is in. Sam proposed it back in 2002 that he wanted to do it again but with VH but he had it as each doing an hour. That somehow has morphed over time into a bitter thing cause Dave is in, history proves that is not the case so not a fair shot at Sam. (I still don't like the idea as it would be the worst "hits" of each guy and not enough time for the cuts that I think are better).

This is a win win situation for Sam. He promotes his latest concert/car show venture while also communicating his desire to re-connect with Ed/Al in some capacity.

I also think he pitched the joint BOBW tour because he wants to be part of the biggest VH tour ever. Sam's a competitive guy. He probably want to top the '07-'08 tour as a money maker, considering in nearly doubled the gross of his reunion tour in '04 with 5 more shows in '04.

3. The Following Member Likes This Post:

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Panama
    Last Online

02.16.19 @ 01:38 AM
    Liked 8,555 Times in 6,156 Posts

Premium Member

So, you're saying that a joint BOBW outing would be "the biggest VH tour ever", as some of us have mentioned? Cool.

I agree with some earlier sentiments, that only the Brothers and Roth will come off as bitter and stupid/selfish if such a thing never takes place, even for a single night event.
    "There's too many people on this basketball that's floating around the sun, who are too afraid to allow themselves to FEEL" - Edward Van Halen
    "Van Halen was never about the singer..." - A very wise fan.
    "Embrace the past. Live in the moment but keep your eyes on the future, and keep on moving forward..." - Richie Sambora

5. The Following Member Likes This Post:

Last Online

02.16.19 @ 05:59 AM
    Liked 4,259 Times in 1,618 Posts

Premium Member

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by noise next door View Post
    Wonder if he drum-tracked in Al's 5150 live room with one of his snares.
    He did, there are Instagram videos of it.

Quote Originally Posted by Van Squalen View Post
    he deserves a career outside of his father's shadow.
    That's the nicest thing I've ever seen you say about Wolf.

Quote Originally Posted by E-roc View Post
    I couldn't care less about what kind of numbers it does, and I'd bet neither does he. Seems to be doing this because he wants to/because he can. Imagine that, a love of the game.
    Yeah, I'm almost not even expecting a tour. This seems like he's doing it because he can and he loves it. Maybe in a way to prove to the world that he can stand on his own.

Quote Originally Posted by E-roc View Post
    Think he mentioned Tool as an influence. Should be a big VH influence. His head has always seemed in the right place. Seems to be a lot of different instruments in terms of variety of axes and such, what I'm most curious about is what he was doing with the SAITP synth trigger, haha.
    Eddie said: "Itís like AC/DC meets Van Halen meets aggressive pop," said Eddie. "The riffs are catchy. Itís a little of everything and sounds like a freight train coming at you. Iíve never heard anything quite like it. Itís so powerful that Iím jealous."

Quote Originally Posted by It's Mike View Post
    1) i dont think he's gonna have a hit record
    2) i think he's more likely to go on tour opening for someone as opposed to playing "the clubs". It's not 1976 and he's rich and doesn't need to be discovered. k
    Nailed it.

Good Enough
    Last Online

02.15.19 @ 03:29 PM
    Liked 2,678 Times in 1,263 Posts

The best thing he could do to help sales is to go on tour with VH right after its released and sell at the merch stand. That would probably be his best marketing
    Drop it on ITunes, try and get a push in radio stations while pimping it during VH interviews to discuss the upcoming tour
    I think Dad is going to have to help him get some exposures, but if his product is good then heíll do fine after an initial push

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

8. The Following 2 Members Like This Post:

Favorite VH Album

1986 - 1996
    Favorite VH Song

5150, Cabo Wabo
    Last Online

02.15.19 @ 05:44 PM
    Liked 1,106 Times in 753 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by DFVH5150 View Post
    Definitely due out this fall?!
    That’s the word from Jason Bonham.
    Eddie Van Halen in 2012:

"ESQ: What are you going to do with all the material that you wrote with Sammy Hagar?

EVH: Oh, I hadn't thought about that. That's some great music. They're just on vacation, maybe. They're off to college and they're going their own way. Who knows?"

Last Online

02.16.19 @ 12:15 AM
    Liked 2,648 Times in 1,689 Posts

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by Jedi McFly View Post

That's the nicest thing I've ever seen you say about Wolf.
    I don't slag that kid, what are you talking about. I don't agree with his willingness to replace Mike, I don't think he's a good a bass player as Mike, I def don't think he can sing anywhere near as good as Mike, but he is what he is. This solo album will literally make or break him as a solo artist. If it's just a vanity project, then it doesn't really matter, nor does being the bassist for VH4 one last time for one last tour, to be honest. He's wealthy enough to never have to work again. It's up to him to decide if he wants to create art and present it in a real and audience -dependent way.

It's pretty interesting that so many of you don't really seem to care or advocate for his touring his own music. Kinda weird to see so much lack of investment for something you're claiming you're moderately interested in. Whether he opens for a bigger band (probable) or clubs on his own, he's got to tour the shit out of it to be taken seriously for any future solo musical endeavors. A one and done won't do it, and neither will opening for Tremonti for six months.

Favorite VH Album

like them all, no favourite
    Last Online

02.16.19 @ 05:40 AM
    Liked 9,706 Times in 5,452 Posts

I don't slag that kid, what are you talking about. I don't agree with his willingness to replace Mike, I don't think he's a good a bass player as Mike, I def don't think he can sing anywhere near as good as Mike, but he is what he is. This solo album will literally make or break him as a solo artist. If it's just a vanity project, then it doesn't really matter, nor does being the bassist for VH4 one last time for one last tour, to be honest. He's wealthy enough to never have to work again. It's up to him to decide if he wants to create art and present it in a real and audience -dependent way.

It's pretty interesting that so many of you don't really seem to care or advocate for his touring his own music. Kinda weird to see so much lack of investment for something you're claiming you're moderately interested in. Whether he opens for a bigger band (probable) or clubs on his own, he's got to tour the shit out of it to be taken seriously for any future solo musical endeavors. A one and done won't do it, and neither will opening for Tremonti for six months.
    I think he should tour. I don't think he's gonna, nor should he, sign up to play 3 hundred seaters and live out of a car.

Sent from blah blah using Tapatalk

12. The Following Member Likes This Post:

Last Online

02.16.19 @ 05:30 AM
    Liked 3,080 Times in 1,622 Posts

Azoff can easily get him booked (through his booking agent connections) into all the European summer rock festivals (as long as his music is solid enough and can fill a short set)

The last name VH on the poster is all those promoters will care about.

He's already played 200 shows as an actual member of VAN HALEN and has a strong branding.

14. The Following 4 Members Like This Post:

Last Online

02.16.19 @ 05:30 AM
    Liked 3,080 Times in 1,622 Posts

He should definitely brand himself (i.e. name his band) as "Wolfgang Van Halen" and keep that last name.

He'd be silly not to take advantage of all the musical connotations those 3 words suggest

16. The Following Member Likes This Post:

Favorite VH Album

1986 - 1996
    Favorite VH Song

5150, Cabo Wabo
    Last Online

02.15.19 @ 05:44 PM
    Liked 1,106 Times in 753 Posts

Meh. If he keeps the last name it’s coattails.
    Eddie Van Halen in 2012:

"ESQ: What are you going to do with all the material that you wrote with Sammy Hagar?

EVH: Oh, I hadn't thought about that. That's some great music. They're just on vacation, maybe. They're off to college and they're going their own way. Who knows?"

Last Online

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by It's Mike View Post
    I think he should tour. I don't think he's gonna, nor should he, sign up to play 3 hundred seaters and live out of a car.

I think his industry peers (and elder statesmen) as well as the critics will take him more seriously if he works from the bones up, rather than ANY riding Dad's name or connections. Slash still plays the Whisky. Dave plays private party gigs. Wolfgang should hit the entire West Coast club circuit to start, from the Belly Up in Solana to Moe's in Santa Cruz, the Fillmore in SF, the trifecta WeHo triangle, any number of House of Blues gigs. That's what all of his emulated bands did...it's what he should do if he wants to be taken seriously...unless he's going to ride one of Dad's trains. Which I would, if I were his agent, strongly recommend against. Very few musician offspring succeed like their parents when they play the sur name card. In a lot of ways, being Wolfgang Van Halen at the club level will elevate his industry cred, not undermine it. As opposed to opening for an arena act simply because Irving's doing a solid for Eddie.

Last Online

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by noise next door View Post
    He should definitely brand himself (i.e. name his band) as "Wolfgang Van Halen" and keep that last name.
    That's a given, of course he should tour as A Van Halen. Just not as a subsidiary of Van Halen, Inc.

Which is why he should tour the club circuits first. A lot. Put in his dues, hone his craft, get better at the live solo gig dive by dive, city by city.

It's the only way he'll break outta Dad's shadow. If he's given a slot at an arena level just because he's Ed's kid, he'll get comparisons he won't want.

Doing it on his own, he will deal with that far less...and maybe even make his own bed, which is the way he should go about it.

Favorite VH Album

like them all, no favourite
    Last Online

02.16.19 @ 05:40 AM
    Liked 9,706 Times in 5,452 Posts

I think his industry peers (and elder statesmen) as well as the critics will take him more seriously if he works from the bones up, rather than ANY riding Dad's name or connections. Slash still plays the Whisky. Dave plays private party gigs. Wolfgang should hit the entire West Coast club circuit to start, from the Belly Up in Solana to Moe's in Santa Cruz, the Fillmore in SF, the trifecta WeHo triangle, any number of House of Blues gigs. That's what all of his emulated bands did...it's what he should do if he wants to be taken seriously...unless he's going to ride one of Dad's trains. Which I would, if I were his agent, strongly recommend against. Very few musician offspring succeed like their parents when they play the sur name card. In a lot of ways, being Wolfgang Van Halen at the club level will elevate his industry cred, not undermine it. As opposed to opening for an arena act simply because Irving's doing a solid for Eddie.
    If the record sucks it won't matter. If the record is great it won't matter.

Last Online

Donor

If the record is great, it def matters if he tours it or not.