Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register
Save
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567
    Last Online

10.23.18 @ 01:19 AM
    Liked 143 Times in 78 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Get The Show On The Road View Post
    LOL, I love how we all come from different places with different approaches.

One of the main things that attracted me to Ed was his use of the bar, especially the dive bombs he'd do live. That and the squeals with the pinch harmonics and the bar. Just loved the sound of it. Of course until I started playing guitar I really had no idea how he was doing it.

I remember when I bought my first guitar the guy asked me what I liked and I told him "Van Halen." So he told me I needed a guitar with humbuckers and a vibrato bar. My dad wasn't going to shell out a bunch of money for my first guitar because he figured I'd play it for a couple of weeks and that would be the end of it like all the school musical instruments I had played.

So I got some sort of Ibanez that had humbuckers in the neck and bridge and a singlw coil in the middle. And a Fender combo amp. I think the total cost was like 300 bucks.

So I'm trying to learn and reading tab and watching LWAN constantly to try to figure out how Ed is making these sounds. It finally dawns on me what he's doing with the bar so I go and do that and the damn thing promptly goes out of tune. Now, for someone who's just learning tuning is a huge accomplishment and I didn't have a tuner at the time so going out of tune was my worst nightmare. So once I got it back in tune I refused to use the bar because I didn't want to have to tune it again. Actually, I think I took it off.

Then I read Ed's interview with Jas Obrecht and his description of how he kept the Frankie in tune and thought, "That's too complicated." Then I read about the Floyd Rose and saw an ad for the EBMM in a guitar magazine and decided I was going to get one. Solved the tuning problem although that Floyd Rose was intimidating at first.

The funny thing is that after I'd been playing for a while I read in one of the magazines Ed or someone talking about the "Kahler" locking trem. Turns out the guy who invented that lived right up the street from me and his son went to my high school. I had no idea because his kid never mentioned it or even talked about playing guitar.

I still have no idea what a Kahler trem looks like...
    Back in the day, pretty much the only way to get a Floyd was if you bought a Kramer. Everyone else used Kahler, or a Fender-style knock-off. Later came Wilkinson and Washburn's Wonderbar.
    But I like "Hot Dog and a Shake." - marksound, 1988

2. The Following 2 Members Like This Post:

Good Enough
    Last Online

10.22.18 @ 09:59 PM
    Liked 1,428 Times in 796 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by marksound View Post
    Sperzel Handy Tip: You can remove the locating pin on standard Sperzels. There is enough of a burr around the hole that it will hold in place when tightened. I've done it on a few guitars and never an issue. Also, check out Sperzel's EZ-mount version. No pin, just a barb that grabs as you tighten the nut. No new holes.
    You have just made my 15 years of posting on Van Halen forums not feel like such a colossal waste of time! I can't wait to get my hands on some EZ Mounts!

My Fender HM Strat that I had back in the `80's-`90's had a Kahler tremolo. I somehow stripped the screw while tightening down the nut, and I swear to this day I was not turning it too tight. I remember going to the local music shop with my lament, and the guy who worked there, a 40-something guy who had played drums professionally, said, "Ah, the Krappy Kahler Tremolo! It's not surprising it stripped. They're made of pot metal." I'd never even heard the term "pot metal." Funny it looks like Jacob Deraps gets by with a vintage HM Strat with the original tremolo, though.

Riffguy uses a standard Strat tremolo and doesn't seem to have any tuning problems. He just uses the standard techniques Fender lists on their site. Maybe some people just have a magic touch.

4. The Following 2 Members Like This Post:

Eruption
    Favorite VH Album

All four, was there more
    Favorite VH Song

One Sky Control Movies
    Last Online

10.12.18 @ 06:15 PM
    Liked 624 Times in 395 Posts

LOL, I love how we all come from different places with different approaches.

One of the......or even talked about playing guitar.

I've been a faithful Kahler Fulcrum (ab)user since 1986

This is the Deluxe flip lever nut lock;

I have the same system on my pseudo Frankie too;

They use to come stock on many Charvels and Peaveys, in the '80s.
    Last edited by turnbuckle; 07.11.18 at 07:23 PM.
    Why behave in public...if you're livin' on a playground !

6. The Following 2 Members Like This Post:

Last Online

10.23.18 @ 01:19 AM
    Liked 143 Times in 78 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by turnbuckle View Post

I had one on a Contemporary Series Strat that I bought new in '87. Around '95 one of the fine tuners stripped, so I replaced the trem with a Wilkinson. Dropped right in.
    But I like "Hot Dog and a Shake." - marksound, 1988

8. The Following Member Likes This Post:

Favorite VH Album

II & WACF
    Favorite VH Song

HAIL & Simple Rhyme
    Last Online

10.22.18 @ 08:15 PM
    Liked 10,027 Times in 5,410 Posts

I had a Kahler on a Charvel model 4, and i remember it felt much stiffer than a Floyd.
    It was a weird feeling bar, as opposed to the one's on the early Ibanez RG's.

It's funny how Show was talking about being fascinated with Ed's tremolo work
    and sounds, yet for me, it was his left hand fluidity.

I remember trying to get that quick, descending pull off run in "Secrets."
    It's like a three note per string/Dorian, but still within the blues box, kinda run.

Then i went to this kid's house who had a Kramer focus, and he was already playing the
    solo's to Loudness' Let it Go and Unchain the night by Dokken.
    And playing them correctly & up to speed.
    I was stunned, because he was like 14 or 15.

So i played him that lick in "Secrets" by Eddie, and he immediately dialed in the scale
    and position, took a few passes, then nailed the lick.

He's like, you do it like this:
    He played it with a rake, then a cascade of pull offs on the G.B.E strings.
    When he played it up to speed, i became obsessed with the left hand & pull offs.
    I think i was picking everything at that point, but the way he played just sounded
    like the records.
    Graver, Walking Ed, refugee from CVH & proud tone chaser...

Favorite VH Album

VH, 1984, 5150, F.U.C.K.
    Favorite VH Song

A few of Daves, a few of Sams!
    Last Online

10.23.18 @ 03:50 AM
    Liked 8,192 Times in 5,903 Posts

Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by turnbuckle View Post

I tried a Charvel that had a Kahler on it back in the day, and maybe a Hamer? Can't recall, as it's been a looooong time. The bar action felt super loose, almost 'feathery' , if that makes sense? Kind of like how I don't like the volume pots Eddie uses on his guitars, where you could blow on them and make them move.

Kudos to you for liking and championing them. To each their own, and whatever works for some might not be what works for another. Kind of like this site!
    "There's too many people on this basketball that's floating around the sun, who are too afraid to allow themselves to FEEL" - Edward Van Halen
    "Van Halen was never about the singer..." - a very wise fan.
    "Embrace the past. Live in the moment but keep your eyes on the future, and keep on moving forward..." - Richie Sambora

11. The Following Member Likes This Post:

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Little Guitars
    Last Online

10.19.18 @ 08:34 AM
    Liked 2 Times in 1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by van77 View Post
    Those prices are krazy.....and it has the wrong Schaller tuners on it!!!!!
    I noticed that too. And a couple of other things are: did Ed have a brass block on his tremolo back in 78? My guess is no. And, are the thinner stripes actual tape (as Ed's was) or are they painted on?