Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register
Save
    Good Enough
    Last Online

11.13.18 @ 10:21 PM
    Liked 1,456 Times in 817 Posts

Default George Lynch in Xciter! 1979

Adding to the mystery of why there's so little film or video of early Van Halen, I found several songs from George Lynch's pre-Dokken band, Xciter. This was taped at the Starwood, where Van Halen was discovered, in 1979.

Whereas when I got Demo Daze I expected to hear a young Eddie Van Halen sounding like shit and learned there was never a time he sucked, this Xciter video proves George definitely got better later! He's long on the thumb harmonics and dramatic bends, short on a solo that sounds like it makes sense with the song.

I think the singer is as good or better than Don Dokken, and could possibly even compete with Brad Delp, and the bassist sings great harmonies, too. Unfortunately, there was no Tom Scholz in this band with the tunes to put their harmonies on. And what's with the bass that's shaped like a bottle opener?

2. The Following 2 Members Like This Post:

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Panama
    Last Online

11.14.18 @ 01:58 AM
    Liked 8,259 Times in 5,949 Posts

Premium Member

Very cool to find this footage! I had forgotten about this thread and just came across it while searing the forum. This goes along with seeing Mick Mars in the band Whitehorse, pre Motley Crue etc. Neat stuff to dig up.

Now why someone didn't film VH at the Whiskey or Starwood, or hell even the Goldenwest Ballroom? Insanity... I even wish there was some old Mammoth stuff to have for the video bootleg collection.
    "There's too many people on this basketball that's floating around the sun, who are too afraid to allow themselves to FEEL" - Edward Van Halen
    "Van Halen was never about the singer..." - a very wise fan.
    "Embrace the past. Live in the moment but keep your eyes on the future, and keep on moving forward..." - Richie Sambora

Last Online

11.12.18 @ 10:16 AM
    Liked 1,141 Times in 483 Posts

George and Randy both improved greatly once they got out of the LA scene where they were both trying unsuccessfully to compete with VH. That said, if you played that solo for me and didn't tell me who it was, I would say George Lynch in less than 3 seconds. His vibrato is very unique.

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Panama
    Last Online

11.14.18 @ 01:58 AM
    Liked 8,259 Times in 5,949 Posts

Premium Member

Lynch and Rhoads were still really good, yet obviously improved by leaps and bounds once they paired up with the right band members. Both guys are among my favorite players from that scene and era.

I remember an old bootleg cd that had three tunes said to be early VH (Mamoth days), yet was later 'proved' to be an early band of Lynch's. The Boyz, maybe?

The tunes were Black Star, All That I Need, and Sleepless Nites.
    Cool stuff from back then.
    "There's too many people on this basketball that's floating around the sun, who are too afraid to allow themselves to FEEL" - Edward Van Halen
    "Van Halen was never about the singer..." - a very wise fan.
    "Embrace the past. Live in the moment but keep your eyes on the future, and keep on moving forward..." - Richie Sambora

Hang 'Em High
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Bottoms Up!
    Last Online

11.12.18 @ 05:20 PM
    Liked 2,956 Times in 1,895 Posts

I remember watching this years ago thinking, "did he do a deal with the devil"?. Night and day.

Delp? Lets not get carried away, Art.

Favorite VH Album

II & WACF
    Favorite VH Song

HAIL & Simple Rhyme
    Last Online

11.13.18 @ 09:15 PM
    Liked 10,128 Times in 5,485 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ArtyBoy View Post
    Adding to the mystery of why there's so little film or video of early Van Halen, I found several songs from George Lynch's pre-Dokken band, Xciter. This was taped at the Starwood, where Van Halen was discovered, in 1979.

Whereas when I got Demo Daze I expected to hear a young Eddie Van Halen sounding like shit and learned there was never a time he sucked, this Xciter video proves George definitely got better later! He's long on the thumb harmonics and dramatic bends, short on a solo that sounds like it makes sense with the song.

I think the singer is as good or better than Don Dokken, and could possibly even compete with Brad Delp, and the bassist sings great harmonies, too. Unfortunately, there was no Tom Scholz in this band with the tunes to put their harmonies on. And what's with the bass that's shaped like a bottle opener?

VH was discovered in 1979???!!!!

I kid, i kid...
    Graver, Walking Ed, refugee from CVH & proud tone chaser...