Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 16 to 27 of 27
  1. #16
    Good Enough 51501984's Avatar
    Join Date
    09.14.02
    Age
    50
    Location
    The Bay Area
    Posts
    2,415
    Favorite VH Album

    Van Halen 1
    Favorite VH Song

    Romeo Delight
    Last Online

    06.22.18 @ 02:15 AM
    Likes
    764
    Liked 1,075 Times in 634 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by The Space Ace View Post
    Hmm...now I'm even more undecided.
    To confuse you even more there`s the Dimarzio AT-1 which is on the hot side but it dosen`t necessarily act like a hot pickup. That pickup has also been rumored to be in the ballpark of the pickups in Eds EBMM guitars . Obviously a new pickup is gonna make a difference but still your amp is gonna play the biggest role
    You may think I`m being mean but I`m really just being sarcastic

  2. The Following Member Likes This Post:


  3. #17
    Eruption
    Join Date
    07.13.16
    Age
    54
    Location
    Illinois, USA
    Posts
    849
    Favorite VH Album

    All four
    Favorite VH Song

    One, Sky, Control, Movies
    Last Online

    06.21.18 @ 07:00 PM
    Likes
    735
    Liked 587 Times in 370 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by The Space Ace View Post
    So believe it or not, my Kramer Pacer Classic is the priciest guitar I own. I bought it new in 2015 from suggestions on here. It's a ~$350 USD guitar new so the pickups sound pretty muddy IMO and not much to write home about. So I want to get a new bridge pickup. Most people here initially suggested I get a Seymour Duncan JB when they suggested the guitar to me, which is what I'm leaning toward. I mostly play hard rock, all other types of rock, some metal, and some blues. However, I'd also like to be able to get a passable EVH tone and all the things that go along with him (harmonics, etc). My current amp is a Peavey 6505+ 112 which already gets me part of the way there with the settings I use.

    So, I guess what I'm asking is, should I just go with the JB, or are there other options I should consider, given the above?

    (Also, yes, I'm aware that how good or bad I play is a huge factor in sound, I'm working on it. And I measured my pickup spacing and the bridge is just over two inches, which means it is f-spaced, correct?)
    IIRC, the JB was one of Seymour's very first models, that he made for Jeff Beck, whom I'd consider a fairly versatility demanding player.
    IMHO, you're on the right track; with a versatile pick up, and a versatile amp, you should be able to cover a lot of ground.
    If you're just getting acquainted with pick up selection, it's a good idea to start in the middle of the road, and for now, stay away from anything too extreme, one way or the other, until it becomes clearer to you as to what you prefer.

    When it comes to pickups and speakers, fifty guys will suggest fifty different ones.
    Trust your gut
    Why behave in public...if you're livin' on a playground !

    "I guess
    they always say that imitation is the highest form of flattery.
    I think this is a crock of shi..."- EVH

  4. The Following Member Likes This Post:


  5. #18
    Hot For Teacher The Space Ace's Avatar
    Join Date
    05.09.15
    Age
    24
    Location
    Northeast Ohio
    Posts
    251
    Favorite VH Album

    1984/5150
    Favorite VH Song

    Panama/BoBW
    Last Online

    06.22.18 @ 07:01 AM
    Likes
    675
    Liked 181 Times in 100 Posts

    Default

    Can anyone offer insight of the differences between the JB and Custom Custom? From what I can hear they sound pretty similar.

    Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

  6. #19
    Whoa, this is heavy! Jedi McFly's Avatar
    Join Date
    05.29.03
    Age
    30
    Posts
    4,410
    Last Online

    06.22.18 @ 07:14 AM
    Likes
    3,103
    Liked 3,431 Times in 1,330 Posts


    Premium Member

    Donor

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Stealth5150 View Post
    I'll preface this with "Now don't get me wrong... I LOVE my EVH Wolf pickups... but."

    Please consider a Pariah Pasadena Black! I threw one in my 5150 a while back and it's amazing! I'm a bit blown away by how great it sounds every time I plug that guitar in! The Pasadena Black is his 80's EVH humbucker. I VERY HIGHLY recommend it!
    Iíll second this. The Pasadena Black in my Frankenstrat is exceptional.

  7. The Following Member Likes This Post:


  8. #20
    Good Enough nobozos's Avatar
    Join Date
    02.15.00
    Location
    Pekin, Il U.S.A.
    Posts
    1,790
    Last Online

    06.19.18 @ 04:34 PM
    Likes
    25
    Liked 772 Times in 371 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by The Space Ace View Post
    Can anyone offer insight of the differences between the JB and Custom Custom? From what I can hear they sound pretty similar.

    Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
    Both use Bar Magnets, but the Custom Custom uses an Anico 2, and the JB uses an Alnico 5. I believe the JB is a little hotter than the Custom Custom, and sound-wise, to me it sounds like it may emphasize the lower mids a little more, and the JB seems to push the high mids.

    I put Custom Customs in two if the guitars I have, and they sound more full and articulate than the JB to me. I think the way the EQ curve is on the Custom Custom, it makes it sound hotter than it really is, but I think the fact that it is not as high output as a JB is what makes it more articulate. Of course, this is all subjective, but that's what I hear.
    "Having an opinion that people disagree with doesn't make you a Douche, arguing with the people who disagree with your opinion and calling them stupid does!" -Me.

  9. The Following Member Likes This Post:


  10. #21
    Hot For Teacher The Space Ace's Avatar
    Join Date
    05.09.15
    Age
    24
    Location
    Northeast Ohio
    Posts
    251
    Favorite VH Album

    1984/5150
    Favorite VH Song

    Panama/BoBW
    Last Online

    06.22.18 @ 07:01 AM
    Likes
    675
    Liked 181 Times in 100 Posts

    Default

    Hmm...I think it's between the Custom Custom and the Pariah Pasadena Black now.

  11. #22
    Good Enough nobozos's Avatar
    Join Date
    02.15.00
    Location
    Pekin, Il U.S.A.
    Posts
    1,790
    Last Online

    06.19.18 @ 04:34 PM
    Likes
    25
    Liked 772 Times in 371 Posts

    Default

    I re-read your original post to remember exactly what you were trying to accomplish here. The amp you use plays a huge role in your decision. I see you are using the 6505 1x12, and want to be able to get Van Halen type tones with the pickup.

    Taking that into consideration, I will describe what I think based on the pickups I have experience with. I can't speak about the Pariah. Your amp basically has the tonal characteristics of a Peavey 5150. In the ones that I've owned, I found that they could tend to be a little harsh on the high end, and can tend to get muddy on the bass side, but generally harsh on the high end.

    That being said, although I think the Perpetual Burn is a very EXTREMELY Van Halen sounding pickup, I would probably stay away from it. It could be a dead ringer for a Van Halen pickup through a more midrangey amp like a Marshall, but with that pickups characteristics, I think it would multiply the harshness of the amp. If you dropped your highs and presence on your amp, and boosted your mids, it could work, but every other guitar you plug into it would probably sound muddy and washed out. You wouldn't be likely to get muddy with this pickup though, because the bass response is very tight and articulate.

    I think you could also potentially have the same problem with a JB. A JB with its more prominent high-mid response would likely sound very harsh through that amp.

    I believe a Custom Custom will probably give you what you are looking for. With your amp, it think it is a good fit. That pickup should round off the harsh highs, and the low-mid boost of the pickup should cut through the mix very well, while giving you a pleasant open-vowel character when playing single notes in the middle of the neck. I think that a Custom Custom should give you a pretty Van Halen characteristic tone when paired with your amp.

    One last thing. Sometimes the magic is where you least expect it to be. You have a pretty high gain amp. You may want to consider checking out some lower output options as well, like a PAF or a Seth Lover model. You can achieve some really great tones by using a lower output pickup.
    "Having an opinion that people disagree with doesn't make you a Douche, arguing with the people who disagree with your opinion and calling them stupid does!" -Me.

  12. The Following 2 Members Like This Post:


  13. #23
    Good Enough 51501984's Avatar
    Join Date
    09.14.02
    Age
    50
    Location
    The Bay Area
    Posts
    2,415
    Favorite VH Album

    Van Halen 1
    Favorite VH Song

    Romeo Delight
    Last Online

    06.22.18 @ 02:15 AM
    Likes
    764
    Liked 1,075 Times in 634 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by nobozos View Post
    I re-read your original post to remember exactly what you were trying to accomplish here. The amp you use plays a huge role in your decision. I see you are using the 6505 1x12, and want to be able to get Van Halen type tones with the pickup.

    Taking that into consideration, I will describe what I think based on the pickups I have experience with. I can't speak about the Pariah. Your amp basically has the tonal characteristics of a Peavey 5150. In the ones that I've owned, I found that they could tend to be a little harsh on the high end, and can tend to get muddy on the bass side, but generally harsh on the high end.

    That being said, although I think the Perpetual Burn is a very EXTREMELY Van Halen sounding pickup, I would probably stay away from it. It could be a dead ringer for a Van Halen pickup through a more midrangey amp like a Marshall, but with that pickups characteristics, I think it would multiply the harshness of the amp. If you dropped your highs and presence on your amp, and boosted your mids, it could work, but every other guitar you plug into it would probably sound muddy and washed out. You wouldn't be likely to get muddy with this pickup though, because the bass response is very tight and articulate.

    I think you could also potentially have the same problem with a JB. A JB with its more prominent high-mid response would likely sound very harsh through that amp.

    I believe a Custom Custom will probably give you what you are looking for. With your amp, it think it is a good fit. That pickup should round off the harsh highs, and the low-mid boost of the pickup should cut through the mix very well, while giving you a pleasant open-vowel character when playing single notes in the middle of the neck. I think that a Custom Custom should give you a pretty Van Halen characteristic tone when paired with your amp.

    One last thing. Sometimes the magic is where you least expect it to be. You have a pretty high gain amp. You may want to consider checking out some lower output options as well, like a PAF or a Seth Lover model. You can achieve some really great tones by using a lower output pickup.
    ^ This is some great advice . When I had my 5150 lll 50 watt I had a Bare Knuckle VHII pickup in one guitar a Duncan Screamin Demon in another and the Perputual Burn in another , low to medium output pickups and those guitars just roared thru that amp along with a 4x12 . I didn`t find the 5150 lll or the Perpetual Burn overly bright though but my ears are shot LOL
    You may think I`m being mean but I`m really just being sarcastic

  14. #24
    Hot For Teacher The Space Ace's Avatar
    Join Date
    05.09.15
    Age
    24
    Location
    Northeast Ohio
    Posts
    251
    Favorite VH Album

    1984/5150
    Favorite VH Song

    Panama/BoBW
    Last Online

    06.22.18 @ 07:01 AM
    Likes
    675
    Liked 181 Times in 100 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by nobozos View Post
    I re-read your original post to remember exactly what you were trying to accomplish here. The amp you use plays a huge role in your decision. I see you are using the 6505 1x12, and want to be able to get Van Halen type tones with the pickup.

    Taking that into consideration, I will describe what I think based on the pickups I have experience with. I can't speak about the Pariah. Your amp basically has the tonal characteristics of a Peavey 5150. In the ones that I've owned, I found that they could tend to be a little harsh on the high end, and can tend to get muddy on the bass side, but generally harsh on the high end.

    That being said, although I think the Perpetual Burn is a very EXTREMELY Van Halen sounding pickup, I would probably stay away from it. It could be a dead ringer for a Van Halen pickup through a more midrangey amp like a Marshall, but with that pickups characteristics, I think it would multiply the harshness of the amp. If you dropped your highs and presence on your amp, and boosted your mids, it could work, but every other guitar you plug into it would probably sound muddy and washed out. You wouldn't be likely to get muddy with this pickup though, because the bass response is very tight and articulate.

    I think you could also potentially have the same problem with a JB. A JB with its more prominent high-mid response would likely sound very harsh through that amp.

    I believe a Custom Custom will probably give you what you are looking for. With your amp, it think it is a good fit. That pickup should round off the harsh highs, and the low-mid boost of the pickup should cut through the mix very well, while giving you a pleasant open-vowel character when playing single notes in the middle of the neck. I think that a Custom Custom should give you a pretty Van Halen characteristic tone when paired with your amp.

    One last thing. Sometimes the magic is where you least expect it to be. You have a pretty high gain amp. You may want to consider checking out some lower output options as well, like a PAF or a Seth Lover model. You can achieve some really great tones by using a lower output pickup.
    Thank you so much for your input man. Everything you've said has been really insightful.

    The most common complaint I've seen about the JB is that it sounds harsh, so since you specifically mentioned that, I think I'm officially putting it off the list. From what I've heard out of the Custom Custom, I'm really leaning in that direction. I've also seen some people claim that the CC is what EVH actually had in the 5150 and it was also the last pickup installed in the Franky, but Idk how true that is.

  15. #25
    Good Enough 51501984's Avatar
    Join Date
    09.14.02
    Age
    50
    Location
    The Bay Area
    Posts
    2,415
    Favorite VH Album

    Van Halen 1
    Favorite VH Song

    Romeo Delight
    Last Online

    06.22.18 @ 02:15 AM
    Likes
    764
    Liked 1,075 Times in 634 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by The Space Ace View Post
    Thank you so much for your input man. Everything you've said has been really insightful.

    The most common complaint I've seen about the JB is that it sounds harsh, so since you specifically mentioned that, I think I'm officially putting it off the list. From what I've heard out of the Custom Custom, I'm really leaning in that direction. I've also seen some people claim that the CC is what EVH actually had in the 5150 and it was also the last pickup installed in the Franky, but Idk how true that is.
    I`ve heard many say the same about the JB . I`ve never used it thru a 5150 type amp but thru my Splawns the JB sounds glorious
    You may think I`m being mean but I`m really just being sarcastic

  16. The Following Member Likes This Post:


  17. #26
    Eruption jaybird's Avatar
    Join Date
    01.26.00
    Age
    52
    Location
    Springfield, MO. USA
    Posts
    1,324
    Favorite VH Album

    Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

    Unchained
    Last Online

    06.22.18 @ 05:41 AM
    Likes
    0
    Liked 30 Times in 15 Posts


    Donor

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by nobozos View Post
    Both use Bar Magnets, but the Custom Custom uses an Anico 2, and the JB uses an Alnico 5. I believe the JB is a little hotter than the Custom Custom, and sound-wise, to me it sounds like it may emphasize the lower mids a little more, and the JB seems to push the high mids.

    I put Custom Customs in two if the guitars I have, and they sound more full and articulate than the JB to me. I think the way the EQ curve is on the Custom Custom, it makes it sound hotter than it really is, but I think the fact that it is not as high output as a JB is what makes it more articulate. Of course, this is all subjective, but that's what I hear.
    This is spot on. I put a CC in an LTD EC 1000 a while back and it was butter. Not quite as hot as a JB, but still a lot going on there. I think I remember reading where Neal Schon is/was also a big CC fan.

    I've done this same back and forth between the JB and the Dimarzio Super Distortion. Finally settled on the JB for my shredders. The Super D is just a bit TOO hot if that makes sense, especially for the 80's metal stuff I like to plunk along with.

  18. The Following Member Likes This Post:


  19. #27
    Good Enough nobozos's Avatar
    Join Date
    02.15.00
    Location
    Pekin, Il U.S.A.
    Posts
    1,790
    Last Online

    06.19.18 @ 04:34 PM
    Likes
    25
    Liked 772 Times in 371 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jaybird View Post
    This is spot on. I put a CC in an LTD EC 1000 a while back and it was butter. Not quite as hot as a JB, but still a lot going on there. I think I remember reading where Neal Schon is/was also a big CC fan.

    I've done this same back and forth between the JB and the Dimarzio Super Distortion. Finally settled on the JB for my shredders. The Super D is just a bit TOO hot if that makes sense, especially for the 80's metal stuff I like to plunk along with.

    Thanks. I think when selecting pickups, we can get caught up in legend and hype. We need to look at what the gear was at the time pickups were popular. For instance, it's pretty widely accepted that the JB and the Super Distortion were, and still are great pickups. The reputation of those two in particular was built pretty much before High Gain amps existed. I'm talking High Gain amps like exist today. People were using these in front of Plexi and JCM 800 amps, which aren't really High Gain amps compared to today's amps. They were basically built with that in mind, to sound good through the amps of the day. As time progressed, amps became capable of more gain, which people used these pickups through. At some point, the output of the pickups became the measure of how good it was, instead of how good the tone of the pickup/amp combination was. Everybody started pushing crazy gain through their rigs, to the point that even humbuckers were noisy and feeding back. This was the era of the EMG craze, where you could run insane amounts of gain without the feedback of a passive pickup.

    It wasn't until fairly recently that people started to realize that their actual tone was for shit, and started looking for alternatives. My personal opinion is that you have to find a balance between the capabilities of your amp and the output of your pickups in order to achieve the best tone. So far, I've been going with Med/High output pickups through my 5150 LBXII, but I'm actually thinking about switching one of my guitars to a lower output pickup to see how that goes. Even with my current pickup selection, I find I've got my gain set fairly low on the Blue channel (about 9 o'clock). I think if i could use a lower output pickup, and bring my gain up to 12 o'clock, I may be able to take advantage of the capabilities of my amp's headroom a little more, which should in theory give me better touch responsiveness and improved tone through the amp. I feel like with my gain so low, I'm choking the signal in my pre-amp, and it could be better. So, because my amp is capable of way more gain than I'm using with the pickups I have, I think I can step my pickups down in power, and maintain the gain I'm used to, while improving my overall tone, transparency, and sensitivity.
    "Having an opinion that people disagree with doesn't make you a Douche, arguing with the people who disagree with your opinion and calling them stupid does!" -Me.

  20. The Following Member Likes This Post:


 

 

Similar Threads

  1. Choosing Sides - New VH Tourney
    By I Coulda Hada VH in forum Main VH Discussion
    Replies: 50
    Last Post: 05.15.18, 05:57 PM
  2. GOP chairman:Afghan 'war of Obama's choosing'
    By rocknblues81 in forum VH Fans Meeting Place (Non-Music)
    Replies: 25
    Last Post: 07.08.10, 05:42 AM
  3. Opinion on choosing a crash cymbal. . .
    By hotforteacher1984 in forum Musicians' Corner
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 01.09.06, 02:49 PM
  4. Need Help Choosing Engagement Ring
    By willy4pres in forum VH Fans Meeting Place (Non-Music)
    Replies: 22
    Last Post: 07.08.05, 01:59 PM
  5. Choosing a text editor
    By Bob_R in forum VH Fans Meeting Place (Non-Music)
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 05.04.05, 06:19 AM

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •