Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register
Save
    Good Enough
    Last Online

10.22.18 @ 07:04 PM
    Liked 1,428 Times in 796 Posts

Default Paiste-Zildjian question

I'm not even a drummer, but I love looking at drums and watching drum videos.

Something I've wondered about...back in the `70's and `80's it seemed like everybody used Paiste cymbals. Nowadays I rarely ever see anyone using Paistes, they seem as endangered as a Slingerland drum kit. Everybody's got Zildjians, even Jason Bonham, who's dad was well-known to use Paiste. And when I was looking at some new Paistes the other day, why did they change the logo? The old Helvetica or Arial Bold logo really stood out and advertised the brand. Now they've got some chicken scratch logo that looks like it was done with a magic marker that you can't decipher from five feet away.

What's with Paiste cymbals these days?

Favorite VH Album

WOMEN AND CHILDREN FIRST/ADKOT
    Favorite VH Song

EVERYBODY WANTS SOME!!
    Last Online

10.22.18 @ 07:56 PM
    Liked 11,122 Times in 6,076 Posts

Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by ArtyBoy View Post
    I'm not even a drummer, but I love looking at drums and watching drum videos.

Something I've wondered about...back in the `70's and `80's it seemed like everybody used Paiste cymbals. Nowadays I rarely ever see anyone using Paistes, they seem as endangered as a Slingerland drum kit. Everybody's got Zildjians, even Jason Bonham, who's dad was well-known to use Paiste. And when I was looking at some new Paistes the other day, why did they change the logo? The old Helvetica or Arial Bold logo really stood out and advertised the brand. Now they've got some chicken scratch logo that looks like it was done with a magic marker that you can't decipher from five feet away.

What's with Paiste cymbals these days?
    Paistes are still the choice of Alex Van Halen, and still the best. I've played both Zildjians and Paistes over the years. I've had Zildjians crack. I've NEVER had a single Paiste cymbal crack on me, knock on wood, or knock on bronze.

It's kind of like that with dw drums compared to Ludwig. Ludwigs are still legendary and still King, and still the choice of Alex Van Halen, who has never jumped ship. But everyone, including Neil Peart, has jumped on the overpriced and overhyped dw bandwagon. Oh well.

Good Enough
    Last Online

10.22.18 @ 07:04 PM
    Liked 1,428 Times in 796 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by JUNGLE DRUMMER View Post
    I've NEVER had a single Paiste cymbal crack on me, knock on wood, or knock on bronze.
    My friend who plays drums (and thought maybe Greta Van Fleet sounded like AC/DC ) once cracked a Paiste Colorsound cymbal. But it was worth it, because when Anthrax did an in store signing back around Persistence of Time, he took it for them to sign and he said Joey Belladonna said, "Yeah, that's the way you do it! Beat the piss out of `em!" I wasn't even there yet I felt proud.

I used to see the Pearl name constantly, too, and it seems like they disappeared. Now I see Yamaha more often, which I used to think was more of a jazz fusion guy's kit.

There is just something about the Ludwig logo, any version of it, surrounded by some Paiste cymbals that tells you greatness is about to ensue.

4. The Following Member Likes This Post:

Favorite VH Album

WOMEN AND CHILDREN FIRST/ADKOT
    Favorite VH Song

EVERYBODY WANTS SOME!!
    Last Online

10.22.18 @ 07:56 PM
    Liked 11,122 Times in 6,076 Posts

Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by ArtyBoy View Post
    My friend who plays drums (and thought maybe Greta Van Fleet sounded like AC/DC ) once cracked a Paiste Colorsound cymbal. But it was worth it, because when Anthrax did an in store signing back around Persistence of Time, he took it for them to sign and he said Joey Belladonna said, "Yeah, that's the way you do it! Beat the piss out of `em!" I wasn't even there yet I felt proud.

I used to see the Pearl name constantly, too, and it seems like they disappeared. Now I see Yamaha more often, which I used to think was more of a jazz fusion guy's kit.

There is just something about the Ludwig logo, any version of it, surrounded by some Paiste cymbals that tells you greatness is about to ensue.
    Haha that's a cool story. And, you're right about Pearl and Yamahas too.

But, you hit it out of the ballpark with your last sentence.

6. The Following Member Likes This Post:

Good Enough
    Last Online

10.22.18 @ 07:24 PM
    Liked 2,934 Times in 1,275 Posts

Premium Member

I'm still a loyal Pearl guy. In the end its what makes you feel comfortable and connected to your instrument, there really is no one brand fits all in my view. Gretsch drums I can't stand, not a quality issue but I just never get the feel I want for some damn reason. Go with what you feel most connected to

I prefer Z sound but they are more temperamental than Paiste. Paiste take a pounding better.
    Last edited by Darrin Stephens; 06.18.18 at 12:27 PM.