Save
    Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Girl Gone Bad, House of Pain
    Last Online

10.11.18 @ 07:35 PM
    Liked 31 Times in 15 Posts

Default Blocked Floyd Rose - Fine Tuning Affects Other Strings

I currently have two guitars with blocked Floyd Roses - one a homemade partscaster and another a Peavey Wolfgang Special. On each of them, when I try to detune the low E string to D or tune back up to E, it affects the tuning of the other strings, which drives me crazy!. Since the Floyd is blocked on both of them I am not sure why this happens. I tried adjusting each so that the bridge is perfectly parallel with the body, and on the homemade strat I tried removing the leaf springs that go under the fine tuners (which helped a little). I also noticed that on each one it is possible to pull the strings just a tiny bit sharp if I pull up really hard on the bar - is that normal for a blocked trem? If is is relevant, the Wolfgang has a DTuna but the strat does not (just a stock, but rather worn out, Original Floyd Rose).

Also, on my strat I am not not using a tremstopper or anything - I blocked the Floyd by lowering it so that it rests on the body, just like on the Wolfgang.

Thanks in advance to anyone who has any advice! I am stubborn and want to see if I can fix this problem myself before trying a guitar tech.

Favorite VH Album

VH, 1984, 5150, F.U.C.K.
    Favorite VH Song

A few of Daves, a few of Sams!
    Last Online

10.17.18 @ 08:29 AM
    Liked 8,177 Times in 5,893 Posts

Premium Member

A lot of folks have mentioned stuff like this... You said the trems are flat against the body, and that you removed the leaf springs, which I'm guessing are the fine tuner tension plates? Good job. Some have even said their Wolfgangs came with the low E ones removed from the factory, to help combat the issue.

A trem stopper might help. Some swear by them. But I think it's just a guitar design issue. You mentioned yanking up on the bar and pulling the strings sharp, even slightly. It's wood and clear coat. Both of which are able to be dented and gouged. I'm sure using arm strenth to yank up on the bar can put more stress on the finish than normal spring and string tension of the bridge sitting flush on its own.

Just a theory... Yet even if the guitar was made od steel, I could hit it with a hammer and cause issues. Wood and lacquer are even weaker. Not to mention temperature fluctuations and such. The guitar is not a perfect animal and sometimes those fine tuning problems are part and parcel of the experience, as frustrating as it can be at times! Been there myself, so I know what you mean.

Good luck and hope some other players can offer further tips and advice.
    "There's too many people on this basketball that's floating around the sun, who are too afraid to allow themselves to FEEL" - Edward Van Halen
    "Van Halen was never about the singer..." - a very wise fan.
    "Embrace the past. Live in the moment but keep your eyes on the future, and keep on moving forward..." - Richie Sambora

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Last Online

Quote Originally Posted by RRvh1 View Post
    A lot of folks have mentioned stuff like this... You said the trems are flat against the body, and that you removed the leaf springs, which I'm guessing are the fine tuner tension plates? Good job. Some have even said their Wolfgangs came with the low E ones removed from the factory, to help combat the issue.

A trem stopper might help. Some swear by them. But I think it's just a guitar design issue. You mentioned yanking up on the bar and pulling the strings sharp, even slightly. It's wood and clear coat. Both of which are able to be dented and gouged. I'm sure using arm strenth to yank up on the bar can put more stress on the finish than normal spring and string tension of the bridge sitting flush on its own.

Just a theory... Yet even if the guitar was made od steel, I could hit it with a hammer and cause issues. Wood and lacquer are even weaker. Not to mention temperature fluctuations and such. The guitar is not a perfect animal and sometimes those fine tuning problems are part and parcel of the experience, as frustrating as it can be at times! Been there myself, so I know what you mean.

Good luck and hope some other players can offer further tips and advice.
    Actually, I only removed the leaf springs on my strat. I would like to make as few modifications to the Wolfgang as possible. Anyway, thanks for your response! The thought occurred to me that maybe it's just an imperfection in the Floyd Rose and there might not be any way to really fix it, but I hope that is not the case! I just can't help but obsess over little details like that.

Also, another thing I forgot to mention - I also tried increasing the spring tension in the back, even to absurd levels that made the trem basically unusable, but this did not help either.

Favorite VH Album

VH, 1984, 5150, F.U.C.K.
    Favorite VH Song

A few of Daves, a few of Sams!
    Last Online

10.17.18 @ 08:29 AM
    Liked 8,177 Times in 5,893 Posts

Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by speates View Post
    Actually, I only removed the leaf springs on my strat. I would like to make as few modifications to the Wolfgang as possible. Anyway, thanks for your response! The thought occurred to me that maybe it's just an imperfection in the Floyd Rose and there might not be any way to really fix it, but I hope that is not the case! I just can't help but obsess over little details like that.

Also, another thing I forgot to mention - I also tried increasing the spring tension in the back, even to absurd levels that made the trem basically unusable, but this did not help either.
    If anything, you'd think that the Floyd on your Strat would be 'better' if it's an original, because Wolfgang Specials use slightly cheaper versions of the unit. That's not an insult... I"ve owned Wolf Specials and loved them, as well as having Floyd Rose Specials on a couple of my guitars right now.

My first advice would be not to yank up on the bar(s) anymore, to avoid damaging the top or finish any further, and consider the trem stopper idea. Also to make sure all the trem saddles are tightened properly along with all other moving parts that can be fastened down.

Have you inspected the trem posts that insert into the body? I've seen those come loose, which you don't always notice until using the bar because the bridge is in a fixed position due to the push and pull between the strings and springs.

Just thinking out loud.... Good luck!
    "There's too many people on this basketball that's floating around the sun, who are too afraid to allow themselves to FEEL" - Edward Van Halen
    "Van Halen was never about the singer..." - a very wise fan.
    "Embrace the past. Live in the moment but keep your eyes on the future, and keep on moving forward..." - Richie Sambora

Eruption
    Favorite VH Album

All four, was there more
    Favorite VH Song

One Sky Control Movies
    Last Online

10.12.18 @ 06:15 PM
    Liked 624 Times in 395 Posts

If your meanest, most extreme, fretted finger(s) string bend does not lift the bridge plate off the face,
    then your springs need to be no tighter than that.

Don't pull up on the bar of a blocked trem, that's just asking for problems.

Also, like RR said, make sure everything that should be tight, is.
    (Nut, clamps, saddles, tuners, trem stop, etc.)

Maybe your springs got sprung.
    There should be a balance between string and spring tension, but with a blocked system, it should slightly favor the springs.
    Why behave in public...if you're livin' on a playground !

Favorite VH Album

Love 'em all!
    Favorite VH Song

Currently: Mean Street
    Last Online

10.15.18 @ 10:20 PM
    Liked 100 Times in 59 Posts

Hmm... maybe(?) make sure your bridge is parallel with the body by adjusting the two posts on the bridge. If it makes a disaster of your action, you may need to shim/un-shim the neck pocket a bit.

I’ve got a USA Wolfgang, a Sterling/Music Man AX40-d, and a partscaster Strat and never had that issue.

Regarding spring tension: I like it right where a whole step bend just barely pulls up on the bridge. That allows for doing Gilmour style bar vibrato (up and down) on bent notes
    Who the F#©K is Eddie Van Halen?

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

10.15.18 @ 09:20 AM
    Liked 27 Times in 18 Posts

I'm with RRvh1. I had the same problem with my EVH Wolfgang Special and the trem stopper solved it...and made the D-Tuna easier to access. I suggest that you reach out to Adam at FU-Tone.com. He's usually pretty quick to reply and is super helpful.

On Fire
    Last Online

10.14.18 @ 06:49 AM
    Liked 102 Times in 43 Posts

Donor

Check and make sure that the two screws attaching the nut to the neck are tight. I was having tuning issues with my Peavey Wolfgang Special and narrowed the cause down to those screws not being tight enough. I've noticed on a couple of the Peaveys that I've owned that those two screws get stripped pretty easily. Probably a combination of soft metal and not using the right size screwdriver.

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Last Online

Thank you all for your replies! I just wanted to drop in really quick and say I'm sorry I have not been very active in this thread! I've been pretty busy this week.

Last Online

10.06.18 @ 07:51 AM
    Liked 421 Times in 253 Posts

My Pat. Pending Peavey Wolfgang went out of tune when using the D-Tuner when it was brand new. Took me forever to find the problem. The treble high E side of the bridge was only barely touching. With a flashlight I could see as I barely pushed the trem arm the treble side moved and the bass side didn't. I use two springs like Ed. So I tightened the treble side spring a bit. Trem claw is slightly crooked now. But problem solved!

Also over the years I've had necks and nuts that have needed to be tightened and messed with tuning. Currently I have a trem post screw that moves. I used the wood screw posts and not the pressed in inserts when I built it. So that's not gonna be a fun fix. I'm avoiding it. I may give in and take it to a luthier.
    VH III is Ed's solo album. So everybody who keeps saying they wish he'd do one needs to stfu and listen to III. Then stfu again.

Eruption
    Favorite VH Album

All four, was there more
    Favorite VH Song

One Sky Control Movies
    Last Online

10.12.18 @ 06:15 PM
    Liked 624 Times in 395 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by AFU View Post
    My Pat. Pending Peavey Wolfgang went out of tune when using the D-Tuner when it was brand new. Took me forever to find the problem. The treble high E side of the bridge was only barely touching. With a flashlight I could see as I barely pushed the trem arm the treble side moved and the bass side didn't. I use two springs like Ed. So I tightened the treble side spring a bit. Trem claw is slightly crooked now. But problem solved!

Also over the years I've had necks and nuts that have needed to be tightened and messed with tuning. Currently I have a trem post screw that moves. I used the wood screw posts and not the pressed in inserts when I built it. So that's not gonna be a fun fix. I'm avoiding it. I may give in and take it to a luthier.
    If you have access to a drill press, that fix is fairly easy.
    It's just oversizing the existing hole, with increasing sized drill bits, until the proper size is achieved to accommodate the insert.
    The hole centers remain the same.
    But remember, you want that insert tight, so don't pass up the proper size.

TIP-It helps to chamfer the hole slightly larger than the drill bit, with a countersink, to prevent the finish from chipping.
    Why behave in public...if you're livin' on a playground !

Favorite VH Album

WACF
    Favorite VH Song

As Is
    Last Online

09.05.18 @ 04:42 PM
    Liked 174 Times in 98 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by speates View Post
    I currently have two guitars with blocked Floyd Roses - one a homemade partscaster and another a Peavey Wolfgang Special. On each of them, when I try to detune the low E string to D or tune back up to E, it affects the tuning of the other strings, which drives me crazy!. Since the Floyd is blocked on both of them I am not sure why this happens. I tried adjusting each so that the bridge is perfectly parallel with the body, and on the homemade strat I tried removing the leaf springs that go under the fine tuners (which helped a little). I also noticed that on each one it is possible to pull the strings just a tiny bit sharp if I pull up really hard on the bar - is that normal for a blocked trem? If is is relevant, the Wolfgang has a DTuna but the strat does not (just a stock, but rather worn out, Original Floyd Rose).

Also, on my strat I am not not using a tremstopper or anything - I blocked the Floyd by lowering it so that it rests on the body, just like on the Wolfgang.

Thanks in advance to anyone who has any advice! I am stubborn and want to see if I can fix this problem myself before trying a guitar tech.

I get this once in a while, specifically with g. Unclamp just the d & g and re tune. if it doesnt work replace the g. never had a plate problem, its usually just old strings.

Last Online

10.08.18 @ 12:23 PM
    Liked 776 Times in 374 Posts

Two things to check:

1) Make sure the knife edges of the trem are in the pocket of the pivot bolts. With a blocked trem, it's possible to adjust the pivot bolts too low, which puts the knife edge slightly above the pivot point on the bolts
    2) Check to make sure your nut is tight. I spent a bunch of time dicking with my Floyd when I had a tuning stability issue, and discovered it was because the screws on my nut had come loose, allowing the nut to shift and knock everything out of tune. I've now gotten into the habit of periodically checking my neck pocket screws and my nut screws to make sure they are tight.
    "Having an opinion that people disagree with doesn't make you a Douche, arguing with the people who disagree with your opinion and calling them stupid does!" -Me.