Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register
Results 1 to 9 of 9
  1. #1
    Good Enough
    Join Date
    03.31.06
    Posts
    2,587
    Last Online

    06.18.19 @ 03:22 AM
    Likes
    1,098
    Liked 1,690 Times in 967 Posts

    Default Four Van Halen solos

    Here I am doing four Van Halen solos. As always, the disclaimer is, "I swear I play this stuff better when a camera isn't on!" But if I play them that way, you can't see and hear it. Also, I learned these by ear around 2003, before YouTube, so I didn't refer to all the tutorials that are out there now. You might disagree with how I'm playing them, but it's how I heard them. No tab books, either.

    I'm playing through my Pod 2.0 and using a Bad Monkey pedal to hopefully give a soft, analog edge to the Pod. This isn't a golden tone, but good enough for demonstration purposes. Doug Steele and all those fleet-fingered 16 year old girls covering John Petrucci can rest easy, though.

    Two takes are included of some of them so you can get into whichever one you like better.

    I don't practice, I just play!

    Last edited by ArtyBoy; 05.24.18 at 06:52 PM. Reason: What's the guy's name? Mike? John? That Dream Theater guy.


  2. #2
    Good Enough
    Join Date
    03.31.06
    Posts
    2,587
    Last Online

    06.18.19 @ 03:22 AM
    Likes
    1,098
    Liked 1,690 Times in 967 Posts

    Default

    Just realized I missed a vibrato bar dip in the "Mean Street" solo. Whoops. I think old age is dawning.

  3. #3
    Atomic Punk RRvh1's Avatar
    Join Date
    02.13.11
    Location
    Ontari-ari-ari-o!
    Posts
    19,964
    Favorite VH Album

    1984
    Favorite VH Song

    Panama
    Last Online

    06.17.19 @ 11:11 PM
    Likes
    7,732
    Liked 8,831 Times in 6,349 Posts


    Premium Member

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ArtyBoy View Post
    Here I am doing four Van Halen solos. As always, the disclaimer is, "I swear I play this stuff better when a camera isn't on!" But if I play them that way, you can't see and hear it. Also, I learned these by ear around 2003, before YouTube, so I didn't refer to all the tutorials that are out there now. You might disagree with how I'm playing them, but it's how I heard them. No tab books, either.

    I'm playing through my Pod 2.0 and using a Bad Monkey pedal to hopefully give a soft, analog edge to the Pod. This isn't a golden tone, but good enough for demonstration purposes. Doug Steele and all those fleet-fingered 16 year old girls covering John Petrucci can rest easy, though.

    Two takes are included of some of them so you can get into whichever one you like better.

    I don't practice, I just play!

    That's some very nice playing, Art!
    "There's too many people on this basketball that's floating around the sun, who are too afraid to allow themselves to FEEL" - Edward Van Halen
    "Van Halen was never about the singer..." - A very wise fan.
    "Embrace the past. Live in the moment but keep your eyes on the future, and keep on moving forward..." - Richie Sambora

  4. #4
    Good Enough
    Join Date
    03.31.06
    Posts
    2,587
    Last Online

    06.18.19 @ 03:22 AM
    Likes
    1,098
    Liked 1,690 Times in 967 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by RRvh1 View Post
    That's some very nice playing, Art!
    Thanks, Robbie!

    This video has absolutely set the internet on fire, and I've been given the Jacob Deraps slot at the next Montreux Jazz Festival! Dweezil's on the phone saying I'm his new best friend! Soon I'll premier my new single, "Blow Me!"

    Not!

    Clearly there are people out there playing this stuff and more complicated things far better than I ever could, but I felt like getting out of the Jimmy Page box and playing the pointy headstock guitars and showing I could do at least a little Eddie. After this I looked at some Doug Steele videos (where did that guy go?) and from what I could tell, the way I play "On Fire" may actually be more involved! He shows it as something like the "I'm the One" 16-17-19 lick being played chromatically starting at the fourth fret, where I'm playing modes starting with an E Dorian on the fifth string (I feel smart when I say that...that's about the end of my music theory knowledge).

    I also realized I've underappreciated these guitars. They play great and are very comfortable.

  5. #5
    Banned!
    Join Date
    09.23.11
    Age
    47
    Location
    Reno, NV
    Posts
    22,777
    Last Online

    11.25.18 @ 06:41 PM
    Likes
    5,753
    Liked 11,189 Times in 6,765 Posts


    Premium Member

    Default

    Tone sucks.

    Sorry Arty! Had to say our usual line for every guitarist other than Ed.

    Nice playing.

  6. #6
    Hang 'Em High
    Join Date
    10.28.12
    Location
    Mean Street
    Posts
    7,071
    Favorite VH Album

    Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

    Bottoms Up!
    Last Online

    06.18.19 @ 12:22 AM
    Likes
    4,851
    Liked 3,893 Times in 2,445 Posts

    Default

    I think if you practiced the VH stuff you'd be really good at it.
    Clearly, the blues/telecaster style is what you played more and you're pretty damn good at it.
    Nice playing, man.

  7. #7
    Good Enough
    Join Date
    03.31.06
    Posts
    2,587
    Last Online

    06.18.19 @ 03:22 AM
    Likes
    1,098
    Liked 1,690 Times in 967 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by PrideofPasadena View Post
    I think if you practiced the VH stuff you'd be really good at it.
    Yeah, I knew this wouldn't give Russ Parish anything to worry about. But for a guy who's never really seriously practiced, ever, it was okay.

    I've realized that despite a love for watching guitar videos on YouTube, browsing guitars on Craigsist and visiting guitar stores weekly, my actual playing is usually limited to putting some food in the microwave, grabbing the nearest guitar and playing the "Cheap Sunglasses" riff until it's done, and that's it.

    I'm still dying to get some quality vocals on my tunes and produce some finished songs, though.

  8. #8
    Good Enough
    Join Date
    03.31.06
    Posts
    2,587
    Last Online

    06.18.19 @ 03:22 AM
    Likes
    1,098
    Liked 1,690 Times in 967 Posts

    Default

    I felt REALLY good after I saw this. Phil X has some clunks in the "Somebody Get Me a Doctor" solo. Yet he plays for Bon Jovi in arenas! So this means no matter what anyone thinks, my performance was arena quality.


  9. The Following Member Likes This Post:


  10. #9
    Hang 'Em High
    Join Date
    10.28.12
    Location
    Mean Street
    Posts
    7,071
    Favorite VH Album

    Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

    Bottoms Up!
    Last Online

    06.18.19 @ 12:22 AM
    Likes
    4,851
    Liked 3,893 Times in 2,445 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ArtyBoy View Post
    Yeah, I knew this wouldn't give Russ Parish anything to worry about. But for a guy who's never really seriously practiced, ever, it was okay.

    I've realized that despite a love for watching guitar videos on YouTube, browsing guitars on Craigsist and visiting guitar stores weekly, my actual playing is usually limited to putting some food in the microwave, grabbing the nearest guitar and playing the "Cheap Sunglasses" riff until it's done, and that's it.

    I'm still dying to get some quality vocals on my tunes and produce some finished songs, though.
    Ah, for never practicing VH that was real good, Art!

    Nah dude, that solo you did with the Tele was real good. And the licks you do in that style are really cool.
    You're way better than you think.

 

 

Similar Threads

  1. Top Ten non-Ed solos
    By BlofeldsCat in forum Guitar Room
    Replies: 60
    Last Post: 04.18.18, 07:41 PM
  2. Solos
    By acs in forum Main VH Discussion
    Replies: 54
    Last Post: 01.28.12, 02:58 PM
  3. Top Ten Guitar Solos by Eddie Van Halen
    By Ilovevh in forum Main VH Discussion
    Replies: 113
    Last Post: 05.19.11, 06:07 AM
  4. where's the solos?
    By edwardocatflappo in forum VH Fans Meeting Place (Music Only)
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 04.28.02, 06:47 AM
  5. EVH Solos
    By raven in forum Main VH Discussion
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 02.26.01, 07:36 AM

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •