Favorite VH Album

All four
    Favorite VH Song

One, Sky, Control, Movies
    Last Online

06.21.18 @ 07:00 PM
    Liked 587 Times in 370 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Jape Man View Post
    Please GOD, let this thing have the .99 setting from the Eventide 910s that he used on Fair Warning, 1984, etc.
    I really get the feeling we are not going to get an Eventide sound, out of an MXR/Dunlop product.

Consider the royalty complexities, and legal ramifications, OMG!

(Maybe someday, Dunlop will acquire Eventide, stranger things have happened)
    Last edited by turnbuckle; 06.06.18 at 03:50 PM.
    Why behave in public...if you're livin' on a playground !

"I guess
    they always say that imitation is the highest form of flattery.
    I think this is a crock of shi..."- EVH

Favorite VH Album

VH, 1984, 5150, F.U.C.K.
    Favorite VH Song

A few of Daves, a few of Sams!
    Last Online

06.22.18 @ 07:17 AM
    Liked 7,787 Times in 5,589 Posts

Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by turnbuckle View Post
    I really get the feeling we are not going to get an Eventide sound, out of an MXR/Dunlop product.

Consider the royalty complexities, and legal ramifications, OMG!
    I think you're right, yet would love to be proven wrong! Yet... As you pointed out, they already have several chorus pedals on the market. If this is just 'bare bones' I won't buy it just for the stripes! Sorry, Ed.

Tbh, I'm thinking of selling my EVH flanger and getting something smaller for the board. Boss? TC? We'll see.
    "There's too many people on this basketball that's floating around the sun, who are too afraid to allow themselves to FEEL" - Edward Van Halen
    "Van Halen was never about the singer..." - a very wise fan.
    "Embrace the past. Live in the moment but keep your eyes on the future, and keep on moving forward..." - Richie Sambora

Eruption
    Favorite VH Album

All four
    Favorite VH Song

One, Sky, Control, Movies
    Last Online

06.21.18 @ 07:00 PM
    Liked 587 Times in 370 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by RRvh1 View Post
    I think you're right, yet would love to be proven wrong! Yet... As you pointed out, they already have several chorus pedals on the market. If this is just 'bare bones' I won't buy it just for the stripes! Sorry, Ed.

Tbh, I'm thinking of selling my EVH flanger and getting something smaller for the board. Boss? TC? We'll see.
    I'd say, if you hate a pedal, by all means sell it, but...
    if you kinda like a pedal, hold on to it, because someday you'll probably be very glad that you did.

My Phase 90 sat in a suitcase for decades, and I almost sold it off countless times.
    When I got back into VH a few years ago, I was so glad I still had it.

It seems pedals' sentimental value, is greater than their street value, most of the time.
    I think this new EVH chorus may fall into this category, eventually, so I plan on getting one, regardless of it's possible pitfalls, or otherwise shortcomings.

Unless I hate it, because then I'll sell it of course
    Why behave in public...if you're livin' on a playground !

"I guess
    they always say that imitation is the highest form of flattery.
    I think this is a crock of shi..."- EVH

4. The Following 2 Members Like This Post:

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen I & Balance
    Favorite VH Song

I'm the One & Feelin'
    Last Online

06.07.18 @ 10:54 PM
    Liked 318 Times in 169 Posts

Thought I'd offer my 2 cents...

Sorry to burst anyone's bubble, but to the best of my knowledge, this is an analog chorus and not a digital detune pedal. You won't get 'that' Eventide sound out of this. There's a site that shows the circuit board, and I'm almost positive it's an analog circuit. Once we can see the power requirements of the pedal we'll know for sure.

This looks to be an MXR 'clone' of a rack mount Roland DC-30, but without exclusively announcing it. A DC-30 was used in his live rig in the early 80's in place of the Eventide 910 or 949 that was used in the studio.

Also looks like this pedal is 'limited' in release. I don't yet know what the means, but given MXR's history of limited releases (such as the Shin Juku Drive) they will either 1. mass-produce this for a year or less then stop. Or, 2. market this as they did with the EVH Anniversary Flangers and Phasers where they only make so many and come with a certificate and all that bullshit.

Sorry, I'm too lazy to embed pics...

Note the controls of the 5150 Chorus:
    https://images.guitarguitar.co.uk/cd...27427008f.jpg?

Now note the controls of a vintage Roland DC-30:
    https://medias.audiofanzine.com/imag...-30-426588.jpg

Ed's early-80's rack for reference:
    https://www.premierguitar.com/ext/re...53ff65844f.JPG

You'll see the controls are almost identical. Interesting that the pic of Ed's rack shows the DC-30 on Echo mode though. Again, most of this is 'educated speculation' at the very best.

As for Allen's comments for Little Guitars: I really think you could get 'that' sound with either a chorus or the Eventide detune. I too have an H9 though, and Allen's demo is DEAD-ON from my perspective. That IS the sound and tone. HOWEVER, Turnbuckle has a good point as well: I too hear modulation on the breakdown of Little Guitars--VERY chorus sounding. I hear the chorus 'warble.'

As for Pretty Woman, to my ears, that sounds like a chorus. Not the detune you hear on Fair Warning, 1984, or 5150 and beyond.

I'm pretty certain an Eventide H949, then a H3000 was used live (and in studio) from the 5150 tour up through the Balance tour and never a chorus pedal during that time. The first time I saw a chorus pedal was after Sammy was gone--the MXR 'Stereo Chorus' yellow brick, then the MXR blue Analog Chorus, before going with the Boss Chorus.

Point is, WHO the hell knows!? If YOU like how it sounds using ________ then use THAT!

6. The Following 3 Members Like This Post:

Good Enough
    Last Online

06.22.18 @ 01:38 AM
    Liked 1,221 Times in 663 Posts

I've got a Boss PH-2 (two of them, actually. I always get spares!). The "Unchained" sound is in there, just as good as the Dunlop (which I also have two of, but just the M-117R, not the EVH). It won't get quite as crazy if you want to explore other sounds, but for your "Unchained" and "Barracuda" sounds, they're in there.

8. The Following Member Likes This Post:

Favorite VH Album

VH, 1984, 5150, F.U.C.K.
    Favorite VH Song

Last Online

Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by ArtyBoy View Post
    I've got a Boss PH-2 (two of them, actually. I always get spares!). The "Unchained" sound is in there, just as good as the Dunlop (which I also have two of, but just the M-117R, not the EVH). It won't get quite as crazy if you want to explore other sounds, but for your "Unchained" and "Barracuda" sounds, they're in there.
    I used to have a Boss flanger several years ago. The purple one... Then I went into the multi pedal thing for quite a while for gigging and recording. Now I'm back to basic stomp boxes feeding a clean amp.

What settings do you use on your flanger for VH sounds? I'm thinking Unchained, Mean Street, HAIL, ATBL, Aftershock, etc.
    "There's too many people on this basketball that's floating around the sun, who are too afraid to allow themselves to FEEL" - Edward Van Halen
    "Embrace the past. Live in the moment but keep your eyes on the future, and keep on moving forward..." - Richie Sambora

Good Enough
    Last Online

06.22.18 @ 01:38 AM
    Liked 1,221 Times in 663 Posts

What settings do you use on your flanger for VH sounds? I'm thinking Unchained, Mean Street, HAIL, ATBL, Aftershock, etc.
    I just checked, and this is how I had it last set, so this must be it. I pretty much tried to dial that sound in and then left it. One size fits all!

Just noticed it's the BF-2, no the PH-2, that's the phaser. Also, the 2's are analog, the models that followed were digital. The ones with black knobs are supposedly made in Japan and "sound better" and will cost more. I'm fine with this.

11. The Following Member Likes This Post:

Favorite VH Album

VH, 1984, 5150, F.U.C.K.
    Favorite VH Song

Last Online

Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by ArtyBoy View Post
    I just checked, and this is how I had it last set, so this must be it. I pretty much tried to dial that sound in and then left it. One size fits all!

Just noticed it's the BF-2, no the PH-2, that's the phaser. Also, the 2's are analog, the models that followed were digital. The ones with black knobs are supposedly made in Japan and "sound better" and will cost more. I'm fine with this.

Awesome. Thanks, man!

Off to the cottage for a couple days... Have a good weekend! Cheers.