Favorite VH Album

II & WACF
    Favorite VH Song

HAIL & Simple Rhyme
    Last Online

08.17.19 @ 08:46 AM
    Liked 11,919 Times in 6,505 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by billy007 View Post
    And that’s a big part of what makes me feel hopeless. They always say you have to put 10% down. Who the hell has 50 grand on hand? I never have. Heck, if I had that kind of money, I’d never have to finance a car. I know the McBoxes are cheaper down here, but still nothing that I could ever come up with 10% of.
    Dude, i've worked retail forever with shit money the norm.

Even i have 50 grand on hand.
    You gotta pay yourself every paycheck, wish i had done it since i was 16 and
    first employed.

I can't understand people buying things they cant afford with credit cards & sinking deeper
    into debt.

I pay every balance, every month.

2. The Following Member Likes This Post:

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

08.17.19 @ 02:22 PM
    Liked 16,408 Times in 7,222 Posts

Default The Mind Boggles

I have no credit cards, we own both our cars, and I donít have $50k lying around in cash. I have a very professional job and I still mostly live check to check. When you have a family itís very difficult to save anything. Iíve got a mortgage, phone bills, utilities, gas, HOA, car insurance, and that doesnít even take into account things like food and clothing and stuff that my daughter needs. We donít take vacations, we donít do extravagant dinners out, and we barely scrape by. It just doesnít matter. Only money I really put away is in my 401k.

I am actually interviewing for a management position (well Iím on interview #5) that would be a game changer for our lives and the base salary alone is something I canít even fathom. But we wouldnít be living check to check anymore for the first time ever. Iíve got one more interview next week and I am praying that I get it.
    Webmaster
    VHLinks.com - Your Van Halen Internet Resource Guide
    http://www.vhlinks.com

JamToThis.com
    Audio/Video Trading Community
    Tons of Van Halen!

4. The Following 5 Members Like This Post:

Favorite VH Album

ADKOT
    Favorite VH Song

Soul Kitchen
    Last Online

08.17.19 @ 04:33 PM
    Liked 1,646 Times in 1,084 Posts

Premium Member

Good luck on the interview Brett.

But how do you get by with no credit cards? Debit card? Lots of times you need to show a credit card no matter how much cash is in your wallet.
    "I'm the opposite of Bill Cosby. Diamond Dave always gets your approval." (DLR)

"Rawhide in "A"

Tom Brady hates tomatoes

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

08.17.19 @ 02:22 PM
    Liked 16,408 Times in 7,222 Posts

Default The Mind Boggles

Quote Originally Posted by Elwood P. View Post
    Good luck on the interview Brett.

But how do you get by with no credit cards? Debit card? Lots of times you need to show a credit card no matter how much cash is in your wallet.
    Thanks man.

I rarely have cash on me. I use my debit card for everything. How often do you really need cash? If Iím gonna be out of town or something Iíll carry some for emergency. We also bank at Chase and theyíre everywhere so itís never a big problem to find a place to get money.

Oh we have a credit card for emergency, we just never and I mean never use it. Only time I ever use it is if I have to like put a reservation in somewhere and I need an actual credit card, but Iíll never put the final charge on it. Oh Iíve had credit card debt over the years, and Iíve paid them off two or three times. But for the last five or six years we just donít use them.

So yeah basically we pay cash for everything. If we canít pay for it now we donít buy it.

Iím just proud that we were able to pay off both of our cars and they werenít cheap. That was the first time in my life that I ever actually fully completed paying off a new car. Itís really nice not to have any car payments. So as much as I probably do need a new car I still love mine and Iíll just drive into the ground at this point. My wife just puddles around town with my daughter so her car only has 50,000 miles on it after almost 7 years, and itís a Honda. Itíll last forever.
    Webmaster
    VHLinks.com - Your Van Halen Internet Resource Guide
    http://www.vhlinks.com

JamToThis.com
    Audio/Video Trading Community
    Tons of Van Halen!

7. The Following 2 Members Like This Post:

Favorite VH Song

"Dance The Night Away"
    Last Online

08.17.19 @ 01:59 PM
    Liked 2,258 Times in 1,519 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by japeape View Post
    Dude, i've worked retail forever with shit money the norm.

Even i have 50 grand on hand.
    You gotta pay yourself every paycheck, wish i had done it since i was 16 and
    first employed.

I can't understand people buying things they cant afford with credit cards & sinking deeper
    into debt.

I pay every balance, every month.
    I do wish someone had advised me to set some aside way back when. Would I have listened? Would it still be there? I don't know. I do have a 401K now, but it only started when I joined my current company at 32. I'll probably be working until I am physically not able to do so...

Favorite VH Album

Pirates of the Carribean
    Favorite VH Song

How Many Say Aye?
    Last Online

08.17.19 @ 10:04 AM
    Liked 2,852 Times in 1,476 Posts

Premium Member

Donor

Default The Mind Boggles

We use a credit card for all purchases. Pay it in full when weíre billed. Never pay interest and it earns us a fair amount of points that pay for several tanks of gas every six months or so. They lose money on us. The only interest we pay is on the house. Looking forward to the day when that is a memory. Then itís college.
    Last edited by Ted Van Halen; 05.26.18 at 06:49 AM.
    -TVH-

There seems to be some perverse human characteristic that likes to make easy things difficult. -Warren Buffett

If there must be trouble, let it be in my day, that my child may have peace. -Thomas Paine

What is government itself but the greatest of all reflections on human nature? - James Madison

Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the Government take care of him better take a closer look at the American Indian. - Henry Ford

10. The Following Member Likes This Post:

Favorite VH Album

Pirates of the Carribean
    Favorite VH Song

How Many Say Aye?
    Last Online

Premium Member

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by It's Mike View Post
    I remember being in a meeting with a bank executive (no idea what the fuck I was doing there) but he referred to American bank lending as NINJA mortgages. That stood for No Income, No Job, No Assets.
    I heard it as living in a SITCOM. Single Income, Two Children, Oppressive Mortgage.
    -TVH-

There seems to be some perverse human characteristic that likes to make easy things difficult. -Warren Buffett

If there must be trouble, let it be in my day, that my child may have peace. -Thomas Paine

What is government itself but the greatest of all reflections on human nature? - James Madison

Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the Government take care of him better take a closer look at the American Indian. - Henry Ford

12. The Following 2 Members Like This Post:

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Panama
    Last Online

08.02.19 @ 08:37 AM
    Liked 2,887 Times in 1,804 Posts

Premium Member

my experience is that culturally Italian and Polish and Hispanic families have no problem with their kids staying on indefinitely because the multi generational family living situation is normal for them. so they may have a very different viewpoint

but as for the argument that allowing kids to remain at home and not pay rent helps them save up to buy a house...well if that is the case OK, but this generation coming out of school over the last 10 years does not seem to view home ownership as the life goal that our generation perceives it to be.

Many are perfectly comfortable renting and renting indefinitely, It does help them budget, They are frequently paying no more out of pocket than they would be paying on a mortgage and in many cases less. Someone else handles all insurance taxes and repairs. And they are not tied down to any one place for any longer than a year, which allows them mobility to take a job elsewhere, move to a different neighborhood city state or country if the opportunity should arise

We see home ownership as an investment...when you get to your retirement age you cash it in and downsize

but when you consider the costs of insurance, maintenance and taxes over time, it is just not as appealing an investment to the younger generation especially as they are not as focused on the single family home lifestyle and instead want something with amenities like pools and fitness centers

14. The Following Member Likes This Post:

Favorite VH Album

Alex, Dave, Ed and Mike
    Favorite VH Song

The songs with Ed on them
    Last Online

08.17.19 @ 11:44 AM
    Liked 25,996 Times in 13,118 Posts

Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by Rokgtar View Post
    Re-fi ing our house to 15 years 2 years ago was the best thing we could have ever done. Seeing the principal go down about 1k a payment is really gratifying. It will be paid for when I retire.
    Man I wish I could do that, but it will be 2035 before I have mine paid off, there is no way I can afford a 15 year. I start college tuition payments next year (scholarship please!), an will be paying at least, sometimes two, and at one point, three kids tuition costs, there is no way I can do a 15 year mortgage, not a chance.
    If I don't respond to you it means I have you on ignore, which means you are a douchenozzle.

Emperor Brett - "I can't believe you guys are analyzing song-by-song Van Halen III? What next, analyzing the script of Stroker Ace looking for some shred of Citizen Kane?"

David Lee Roth did the impossible. He made Van Halen better. Deal with it!

A man's rights rests in three boxes: the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box

Hurricane Halen - Let's all gingery touch our sword tips!!!

Favorite VH Album

like them all, no favourite
    Last Online

08.17.19 @ 04:22 PM
    Liked 11,335 Times in 6,337 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Dave's Dreidel View Post
    Man I wish I could do that, but it will be 2035 before I have mine paid off, there is no way I can afford a 15 year. I start college tuition payments next year (scholarship please!), an will be paying at least, sometimes two, and at one point, three kids tuition costs, there is no way I can do a 15 year mortgage, not a chance.
    Another reason i don't want a bigger house. 3 kids in school at the same time.

Sent from blah blah using Tapatalk

Favorite VH Album

Alex, Dave, Ed and Mike
    Favorite VH Song

Last Online

Premium Member

Yeah, I'm looking at $300-$400k in tuition costs, before scholarships and grants, that's half my mortgage. Without that, yeah, I could do a 15, but with kids in college? No way.
    If I don't respond to you it means I have you on ignore, which means you are a douchenozzle.

Emperor Brett - "I can't believe you guys are analyzing song-by-song Van Halen III? What next, analyzing the script of Stroker Ace looking for some shred of Citizen Kane?"

A man's rights rests in three boxes: the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box

Favorite VH Album

Pirates of the Carribean
    Favorite VH Song

How Many Say Aye?
    Last Online

Premium Member

Donor

I canít imagine having that kind of mortgage. Even with the higher cost of living I donít know how it ever balances out. Canít get my head around it. We built our house 13 years ago and financed $190K. We owned the land already. Iíve re-fiíd twice and significantly reduced interest rates/terms. Both times came with small monthly increases but the long term impact has put me in position to be debt free in 3 years.
    -TVH-

Favorite VH Album

Alex, Dave, Ed and Mike
    Favorite VH Song

Last Online

Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by Ted Van Halen View Post
    I canít imagine having that kind of mortgage. Even with the higher cost of living I donít know how it ever balances out. Canít get my head around it. We built our house 13 years ago and financed $190K. We owned the land already. Iíve re-fiíd twice and significantly reduced interest rates/terms. Both times came with small monthly increases but the long term impact has put me in position to be debt free in 3 years.
    Wish I didn't, just part of where I live. Some people commute a couple hours each way so that they can have a lower cost of living and the higher wages, but I'm not willing to spend four hours a day in a car.

Favorite VH Album

Pirates of the Carribean
    Favorite VH Song

How Many Say Aye?
    Last Online

Premium Member

Donor

Yeah. That commute would kill me too. I only had a 30 minute one way drive to work until the plant closed and I canít imagine driving much further than that. Hang I only have to walk upstairs now and I donít like that. I need to figure out a way to just work in bed.

Maybe Iím just tired of working. Nah. I like what I do.
    -TVH-

Last Online

08.17.19 @ 03:42 PM
    Liked 1,710 Times in 857 Posts

Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by Dave's Dreidel View Post
    I only have 2 sons, and I'm in the Richmond area, so housing costs are cheaper here than in NOVA. I actually didn't expect us to stay in this house when we bought it years ago, but she never wanted to move, so we added a garage, a 2nd floor addition to make one of the bedrooms larger, and a first floor addition to give us some space. Its still not a huge house, but we're comfortable and thankfully, not house poor.