Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Panama
    Last Online

01.26.20 @ 07:44 PM
    Liked 3,074 Times in 1,915 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by bklynboy68 View Post
    They lose the “HRH” titles but maintain their monikers of Duke and Duchess of Sussex. The diplomatic way to say this per the Queen’s statement is to say “use”. It is not their choice or a choice, that is the Queen’s decision and they are no longer recognized as ‘His/Her royal highnesses’.
    They are still HRH but because they are not working royals they will not use them. Which only makes sense because the titles are really only status designations that are used in official business. There is no use for them outside Royal circles. As non working royals they would not be taking part in events where it would be necessary to announce their title as introduction anyway...no receptions

The big thing is that the Palace is going back to the drawing board to try to figure out how to "style" the titles that they are allowing them to use, which is the Sussex title. They gave Harry,Duke of Sussex to him and carried that thru to Meghan, Duchess of Sussex but that is the way they style titles of divorced royals. Like Diana, Princess of Wales as the divorced wife of the Prince of Wales. Not they are aren't sure what the proper form should be.

The much bigger question is whether the Queen is going to allow them to use "Sussex" or "Sussex Royal" in any kind of commercial venue. If she does I would be surprised

What's funny is the last Duke of Sussex was a handful too. Got married to a woman without getting family approval, and by the time he died he was so at odds with the Royal family that his last wishes were to NOT be buried with the royal family. I think he is the only royal buried in a public cemetery

and the abdicating one, Prince Edward? He and Wallis Simpson are buried on the grounds of Harry and Meghan's Frogmore home

sometimes history does repeat itself.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Panama
    Last Online

Quote Originally Posted by japeape View Post
    This guy is the epitome of scumbag.

This guy would sell out his own daughter, for a lottery ticket.

I can't even imagine the pain that would cause, if one of my parents was constantly
    trash talking me to the media.

My GF and i were debating the subject last night, and my GF is clearly on team Markele.

Seems like all the women are pro-Meghan, and the guys are pro-Queen.
    I just don't get this guy. He was all in for attending the wedding and then started doing that thing where he got paid for staged photos. Next thing you know he is claiming he had a heart attack and couldn't attend. Then the half sister starts up and I can only think that she is riling up the Dad. She def has a "Dad always liked you best" complex.

But at some point you have to think that this is your daughter and she is in a pretty high pressure situation so maybe give her some slack and not make things harder for her? Maybe listen to the advice you are being given? But he's doing exactly the opposite of what anyone would think is the right thing to do. Selling personal letters? Giving interview after interview where he manages to make things worse? I guess by now he thinks he has made it as bad as it can be so he might as well cash in?

The mother managed to navigate the situation pretty well. Went to the wedding, lives a quiet life, still has her job, travels to see her daughter and grandchild. Welcome in the Queens house for Christmas. She figured it out. This guy is a bull in the china shop. He just can't help himself and I feel sorry for him.

3. The Following Member Likes This Post:

Favorite VH Album

Pirates of the Carribean
    Favorite VH Song

How Many Say Aye?
    Last Online

01.23.20 @ 05:13 AM
    Liked 2,872 Times in 1,480 Posts

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by Daisy Hill View Post
    I just don't get this guy. He was all in for attending the wedding and then started doing that thing where he got paid for staged photos. Next thing you know he is claiming he had a heart attack and couldn't attend. Then the half sister starts up and I can only think that she is riling up the Dad. She def has a "Dad always liked you best" complex.

But at some point you have to think that this is your daughter and she is in a pretty high pressure situation so maybe give her some slack and not make things harder for her? Maybe listen to the advice you are being given? But he's doing exactly the opposite of what anyone would think is the right thing to do. Selling personal letters? Giving interview after interview where he manages to make things worse? I guess by now he thinks he has made it as bad as it can be so he might as well cash in?

The mother managed to navigate the situation pretty well. Went to the wedding, lives a quiet life, still has her job, travels to see her daughter and grandchild. Welcome in the Queens house for Christmas. She figured it out. This guy is a bull in the china shop. He just can't help himself and I feel sorry for him.
    Hard to feel sorry for a guy who’s undoing is at his own hands. Feel sorry for the guy with terminal cancer he had nothing to do with.
    -TVH-

There seems to be some perverse human characteristic that likes to make easy things difficult. -Warren Buffett

If there must be trouble, let it be in my day, that my child may have peace. -Thomas Paine

What is government itself but the greatest of all reflections on human nature? - James Madison

Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the Government take care of him better take a closer look at the American Indian. - Henry Ford

5. The Following 2 Members Like This Post:

Last Online

01.26.20 @ 03:55 PM
    Liked 1,871 Times in 924 Posts

Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by Ted Van Halen View Post
    Hard to feel sorry for a guy who’s undoing is at his own hands. Feel sorry for the guy with terminal cancer he had nothing to do with.
    Haven’t seen you around in a while, Ted. Your post sounds concerning.

7. The Following Member Likes This Post:

Atomic Punk Get The Show On The Road's Avatar
    Favorite VH Album

Van Halen
    Favorite VH Song

I'm The One
    Last Online

01.26.20 @ 09:26 PM
    Liked 17,740 Times in 9,409 Posts

Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by Rokgtar View Post
    Haven’t seen you around in a while, Ted. Your post sounds concerning.
    That is concerning.

I hope he's referring to someone in general or generically.
    The only genre I really know is Van Halen.

9. The Following Member Likes This Post:

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Panama
    Last Online

Thomas Markle's special has aired on ITV and there are a few head scratchers in there

He admits that he lied to Prince Harry on the phone...this is the phone call where Harry called him and told him that if he had just listened to his advice, things would be easier for him.

He also admitted that he then lied to Harry about the photos and insisted that they were candid shots ( they were not, he now admits he was paid for them) and then he hung up on Harry,

Yeah, not a good look to hang up on your future son in law when he is Prince Harry, who is probably not used to people hanging up on him

"Meghan Markle’s father has admitted to lying to Prince Harry about a series of staged photos in the run up to their wedding.
    Thomas Markle said he had told his future son-in-law that the photos, that showed him running up a hill lifting weights and getting measured for a wedding suit, had not been deliberately set up.
    But in the Channel 5 documentary Thomas Markle: My Story, Mr Markle, who believes his daughter will never see him again, admitted he was paid for the photos after he was painted as a “dumb, fat slob” by the media.
    He told the documentary: “I got approached by a guy who spoke to me and said, ‘I can change your image"

Then he says the photos are going to haunt him for the rest of his life and that Mr Markle recalled: “Harry said to me, 'If you had listened to me, this wouldn't have happened to you'.
    “I said to him, ‘It's too bad I didn't die because then you guys could pretend you were sad,' and then I hung up on them. I was done.”

Now this whole thing is troubling because the Markle side of the story was that Harry and Meghan were not showing him any support leading up to the wedding and they obviously were because he didn't deny that Harry had offered him the advice he referred to.

And the Markle side of the story was also that they did not call and talk to him about his medical issues but this recounting of the phone call shows that clearly they were in contact shortly before the wedding and that they had discussed his medical issues because at the end he throws in "too bad I didn't die" which gives away the fact that the call had in some way discussed his issues.

Then there is the issue of him being disturbed at how the press was portraying him and how he used the press to try to correct his image. He failed but he tried. Maybe hr was thinking that he knew about Hollywood and his connections with TMZ and that led him to believe that he knew how to handle this, but what about his daughter? From the time of the wedding he and his other daughter have found a way to use the press to slam her and he has had no problem with how she is portrayed. So he ruined his relationship with his daughter because he was angry at how he was being portrayed in the press and now he is cooperating with the press to ruin his daughters image

He says he probably wont see his daughter again until his funeral but at this point unless this guy starts doing some real repair and stops collecting paychecks for talking about her, I would think that he is unrealistic about her turning up at the funeral.

Favorite VH Album

The First One
    Favorite VH Song

I'm The One
    Last Online

01.26.20 @ 10:15 PM
    Liked 25,400 Times in 14,433 Posts

"It's so lonely at the top because it's so crowded at the bottom" - Diamond David Lee Roth

"The truth sounds like hate to those who hate the truth" - Todd Wagner

"Women and Children First ... The REAL Van Halen III"

Favorite VH Album

II & WACF
    Favorite VH Song

HAIL & Simple Rhyme
    Last Online

01.26.20 @ 09:22 PM
    Liked 12,948 Times in 7,091 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Daisy Hill View Post
    Thomas Markle's special has aired on ITV and there are a few head scratchers in there

He admits that he lied to Prince Harry on the phone...this is the phone call where Harry called him and told him that if he had just listened to his advice, things would be easier for him.

He also admitted that he then lied to Harry about the photos and insisted that they were candid shots ( they were not, he now admits he was paid for them) and then he hung up on Harry,

Yeah, not a good look to hang up on your future son in law when he is Prince Harry, who is probably not used to people hanging up on him

"Meghan Markle’s father has admitted to lying to Prince Harry about a series of staged photos in the run up to their wedding.
    Thomas Markle said he had told his future son-in-law that the photos, that showed him running up a hill lifting weights and getting measured for a wedding suit, had not been deliberately set up.
    But in the Channel 5 documentary Thomas Markle: My Story, Mr Markle, who believes his daughter will never see him again, admitted he was paid for the photos after he was painted as a “dumb, fat slob” by the media.
    He told the documentary: “I got approached by a guy who spoke to me and said, ‘I can change your image"

Then he says the photos are going to haunt him for the rest of his life and that Mr Markle recalled: “Harry said to me, 'If you had listened to me, this wouldn't have happened to you'.
    “I said to him, ‘It's too bad I didn't die because then you guys could pretend you were sad,' and then I hung up on them. I was done.”

Now this whole thing is troubling because the Markle side of the story was that Harry and Meghan were not showing him any support leading up to the wedding and they obviously were because he didn't deny that Harry had offered him the advice he referred to.

And the Markle side of the story was also that they did not call and talk to him about his medical issues but this recounting of the phone call shows that clearly they were in contact shortly before the wedding and that they had discussed his medical issues because at the end he throws in "too bad I didn't die" which gives away the fact that the call had in some way discussed his issues.

Then there is the issue of him being disturbed at how the press was portraying him and how he used the press to try to correct his image. He failed but he tried. Maybe hr was thinking that he knew about Hollywood and his connections with TMZ and that led him to believe that he knew how to handle this, but what about his daughter? From the time of the wedding he and his other daughter have found a way to use the press to slam her and he has had no problem with how she is portrayed. So he ruined his relationship with his daughter because he was angry at how he was being portrayed in the press and now he is cooperating with the press to ruin his daughters image

He says he probably wont see his daughter again until his funeral but at this point unless this guy starts doing some real repair and stops collecting paychecks for talking about her, I would think that he is unrealistic about her turning up at the funeral.
    Yeah, i can't imagine just throwing your relationship with your daughter away, for these vultures.

At this point, i'd never forgive or trust him again.

He had a small opening to make amends with the new situation involving Harry & Meghan, and
    he could have supported them and attempted to be on their side, with most against them.

But he made it worse.

I just can't imagine to have "Daddy" completely trash you to the press, after having such a close
    relationship (by most accounts they did, and Meghan was extremely fond of him).

That really is next level emotional pain.
    Graver, Walking Ed, refugee from CVH & proud tone chaser...

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Panama
    Last Online

Quote Originally Posted by japeape View Post
    Yeah, i can't imagine just throwing your relationship with your daughter away, for these vultures.

At this point, i'd never forgive or trust him again.

He had a small opening to make amends with the new situation involving Harry & Meghan, and
    he could have supported them and attempted to be on their side, with most against them.

But he made it worse.

I just can't imagine to have "Daddy" completely trash you to the press, after having such a close
    relationship (by most accounts they did, and Meghan was extremely fond of him).

That really is next level emotional pain.
    He could have fixed this. But I guess he figures he screwed it up and so he might at well cash in. I wonder what he got paid. But now he is actually saying "THEY OWE ME" "The Royal family owes me. Meghan owes me. Harry owes me. It's time to take care of Daddy" YIKES!

His thing is that since he raised her and now "put him thru all this", they all OWE him. That's nuts. I raised my COUSIN and I don't think he owes me anything other than to live a good life. But this dude? I can see where his other daughter gets her attitude about this. All along I thought it was her egging him on. Now I realize that they were in it together.

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Panama
    Last Online

01.27.20 @ 01:52 AM
    Liked 9,263 Times in 6,665 Posts

Premium Member

Very cool (NOT!) that our chump of a PM has ok'd $500 000.00. to foot the bill for Meghan and Harry's security detail, at Canadian taxpayers' expense...

While actual veterans etc. go homeless and without benefits etc.
    "There's too many people on this basketball that's floating around the sun, who are too afraid to allow themselves to FEEL" - Edward Van Halen
    "Van Halen was never about the singer..." - A very wise fan.
    "Embrace the past. Live in the moment but keep your eyes on the future, and keep on moving forward..." - Richie Sambora

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Panama
    Last Online

I thought they backed off that? They should. These people should be able to pay their own security. The only time I think the government should pony up for some security is if they were appearing at some government function which is unlikely

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Panama
    Last Online

01.27.20 @ 01:52 AM
    Liked 9,263 Times in 6,665 Posts

Premium Member

Not positive, as I didn't grab the Toronto Sun newspaper today, yet the fact that it was even an option by our Government makes me sick. Real life veterans on the streets, other homelessness issues in the country, etc. etc. and our bs/pc government essentially rapes our bank accouns and doles out $$$ for all the wrong reasons. IMO.
    "There's too many people on this basketball that's floating around the sun, who are too afraid to allow themselves to FEEL" - Edward Van Halen
    "Van Halen was never about the singer..." - A very wise fan.
    "Embrace the past. Live in the moment but keep your eyes on the future, and keep on moving forward..." - Richie Sambora

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Panama
    Last Online

A doctor in Australia has filed a complaint against Harry and Meghan trademarking the Royal Sussex name. There was no reason given, but I think I know the reason and I think there is a very good point for disallowing it and it came to mind over the recent Brexit issue when it was announced that the Queen had signed off on it and made it official. Made me think.

England is a constitutional monarchy. While Elizabeth is the head of state and the sovereign, she is not the head of government but the monarchy has some important roles which are quite extensive and are both domestic and international in nature known as "The Royal Prerogative"

She has the power to appoint and remove the Prime Minister, who meets with her on a weekly basis
    Most of the powers of the Monarchy are now considered ceremonial due to their lack of use over centuries, but constitutionally, the Monarch still has the right to declare war, ratify treaties, ( hence the Brexit deal)deploy the armed forces, and recognize states among many others, and it is why these diplomatic and head of state receptions are so important.

No law gets put into the books with out the Queen signing ratifying it, just as laws here require the Presidential signature. She is the head of State.

So that brings in the titles. White the titles are given out by the Queen, they are based on a traditional peerage and in some cases like the Duchy of Cornwall and some of the others, come with a large tract of land and properties and businesses that generate tremendous income. This is what supports Charles and his family. These titles are also tax supported by the Sovereign grant, which is public money given to the Royals to fund these official duties as well as maintain public properties. This was part ofs a revision of the centuries old "civil list" which was government support of the royal family negotiated as part of a deal where the royal family turned over royal properties to the government. Constitutional changes meant that the King or Queen were not the direct governors of the state and therefore the income and some of the property of the Monarch were surrendered in exchange for a fixed income to support the remaining duties and offices

So if these titles are traditional and extend back thru the ages as part of the government of the country, and these titles are under the control of the Monarch, who is the head of state, can these titles and the use of these titles be transferred to a private individual for their exclusive commercial use?

I would say NOPE. Sorry Harry, but I think you are going to have to do something different other than sell "Goop" like products branded Sussex Royal ...which frankly sounds like a line of towels you would get at Bed Bath and Beyond anyway.

Favorite VH Album

Alex, Dave, Ed and Mike
    Favorite VH Song

The songs with Ed on them
    Last Online

01.26.20 @ 03:13 PM
    Liked 27,536 Times in 13,927 Posts

Already sick of them. Where is our Texas hero, I need his tagline, and I don't want to use it without his approval.
    If I don't respond to you it means I have you on ignore, which means you are a douchenozzle.

Emperor Brett - "I can't believe you guys are analyzing song-by-song Van Halen III? What next, analyzing the script of Stroker Ace looking for some shred of Citizen Kane?"

David Lee Roth did the impossible. He made Van Halen better. Deal with it!

A man's rights rests in three boxes: the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box

Hurricane Halen - Let's all gingery touch our sword tips!!!