Favorite VH Album

MCMLXXXIV
    Favorite VH Song

Too Many To List
    Last Online

12.31.69 @ 04:00 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Hi guys,

I've been visiting vhforums regularly since becoming a member early this month. I really dig this site and will continue to come here for news and chat on both the band and the individual members. But I have a question about how this site is probably most relevant to me and perhaps some other members.

I don't know how many of your members are musicians, but I haven't been able to figure out where - if anywhere - it's appropriate for musicians to talk about playing VH music, emulating the VH rigs, where bands that cover VH are playing, etc. Is there such an area here at vhforums that is appropriate for musicians?

I realize that this isn't an advertising board for musicians or their bands, but I for one love to see a good band covering VH, and here in the Bay Area I've seen all the tributes: Panama, Hot For Teacher and the No Cal Atomic Punks. They're all OK, but I won't go out of my way to see any of them again (HFT is actually a pretty solid band, but they sound like Dokken covering VH - not particularly what I'm looking for...)

The point is unless the original band gets back together (w/either Sam or Dave), there's no other outlet for people to see & hear these great tunes done live except through a cover/tribute band. Hell, Dave himself has chosen the tribute band route at this stage of his career, so no matter how illegitimate it seems, talking about and enjoying these tunes live is a legitimate forum for discussion.

A good band covering a catalog of music like VH's that's already largely 20+ years old really helps to keep that music fresh. It definitely recruits new fans to the band being covered and is always a guaranteed fun night out. I've been going to shows put on by the AC/DC band Powerage for over 5 years, and as long as they're around I'll never have to go to another AC/DC show again. They sound better, play better, and cover more obscure album material than the real mccoy - and when the crowd is never larger than a few hundred people, you can easily score a front-row view.

To those of you that make fun of tribute/cover bands, I understand where you're coming from. I've seen enough sh*tty cover bands for one lifetime myself [img]graemlins/irked.gif[/img] But you'll soon reconsider after seeing a great cover band like the So Cal Atomic Punks, or No Cal's Powerage, or San Diego's Steely Damned. Bands like these reaffirm your love for so much great music that can no longer be enjoyed live in a way that you might fondly remember.

Anyways, if someone here can point me in the right direction on my inquiry, I would really appreciate it.

[img]smile.gif[/img]

The Real Deal
    <a href="http://www.the-real-deal.com/index.htm" target="_blank">The Real Deal</a> does old VH better than any other band in the SF Bay Area. Hearing is believing...

Favorite VH Album

Cover Bands from Pasadena
    Favorite VH Song

Babe Don't leave Me Alone
    Last Online

09.05.15 @ 12:20 PM
    Liked 9 Times in 7 Posts

Here, and here
    My Band
    Baluchitherium

Hot For Teacher
    Favorite VH Album

MCMLXXXIV
    Favorite VH Song

Too Many To List
    Last Online

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

hu,

I appreciate the redirect. Please forgive me for wondering out loud, but why is all this VH-related music talk relegated to the relative backwater that is the non-VH area of the website?

I clearly see that vhforums has arranged itself in this way for years, so I'm not about to tell anyone how to run their web site. But I hope you'll accept my [img]graemlins/wtf.gif[/img] expression as constructive criticism pertaining to an oxymoronic content policy. If the site seeks to separate the band (Ed & Co.) from its music, please forgive me for simply asking "Why?"

For many - if not most - fans, the music IS the band more so than the band is the music. Getting to hear the music aside from listening to the recordings should certainly qualify for the VH-Related area of this site. JMHO...

Again, I dig this site, and I appreciate the chance to post an honest opinion.

The Real Deal
    <a href="http://www.the-real-deal.com/index.htm" target="_blank">The Real Deal</a> does old VH better than any other band in the SF Bay Area. Hearing is believing...

Favorite VH Album

Cover Bands from Pasadena
    Favorite VH Song

Babe Don't leave Me Alone
    Last Online

09.05.15 @ 12:20 PM
    Liked 9 Times in 7 Posts

Not quite sure I follow you bro.

We have a musicians forum and a guitar forum to keep the content guitar, and musician oriented. VH content is absolutely welcomed in both those forums, so I don't really see what you're line of thinking is.

We keep it seprate because a lot of us musicians really want to get into the tech talk that leaves most non-musicians thinking we're nuts. If just had one big VH forum, it would be a disoganized mess, and users wouldn't be able to find the content that they're looking for.

Hope this helps.
    My Band
    Baluchitherium

Hot For Teacher
    Favorite VH Album

MCMLXXXIV
    Favorite VH Song

Too Many To List
    Last Online

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

hu,

Thanx for the explanation.

The Real Deal

Webmaster/Graphic Artist Top Timmy's Avatar
    Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Romeo Delight
    Last Online

10.28.16 @ 08:45 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Gonna move this to the feedback forum. [img]smile.gif[/img]
    Webmaster/Graphic Artist
    VHLinks.com - Your Van Halen Internet Resource Guide
    http://www.vhlinks.com