Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
    Last Online

01.21.20 @ 02:59 PM
    Liked 4,303 Times in 2,743 Posts

Donor

Haha. ADKOT mostly sucks. There's two good tracks on it. I personally like Tattoo, but I know it isn't cut from the true VH cloth.

YAYB and Stay Frosty are the only tracks with legs, and they're limited by the absence of Mike.

SF could've been an all time VH great...if Mike was doing the backing vox and the boom, and the production wasn't for shit.

Listen to the difference between any song off ADKOT and the last song Dave did with VH, MWM. Night and day. For three reasons. Mike. Production. Originality.

2. The Following Member Likes This Post:

Sinner's Swing! BlindtotheWorld's Avatar
    Favorite VH Album

OU812
    Favorite VH Song

Romeo Delight/Mine All Mine
    Last Online

01.21.20 @ 02:48 PM
    Liked 1,968 Times in 1,054 Posts

Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by Van Squalen View Post
    Haha. ADKOT mostly sucks. There's two good tracks on it. I personally like Tattoo, but I know it isn't cut from the true VH cloth.

YAYB and Stay Frosty are the only tracks with legs, and they're limited by the absence of Mike.

SF could've been an all time VH great...if Mike was doing the backing vox and the boom, and the production wasn't for shit.

Listen to the difference between any song off ADKOT and the last song Dave did with VH, MWM. Night and day. For three reasons. Mike. Production. Originality.
    I also like Tattoo and agree that MWM and CGTSNM crush anything on ADKOT. That being said, for VH in 2012, it was a very good effort.
    "Problem is Van Halen doesn't miss you. Or me. Or any of us." - Little Dreamer

"So, Dave's in the same boat as the rest of planet Earth. He's no longer in a band that doesn't even exist." - I Coulda Hada VH

Favorite VH Album

Alex, Dave, Ed and Mike
    Favorite VH Song

The songs with Ed on them
    Last Online

01.20.20 @ 12:02 PM
    Liked 27,480 Times in 13,889 Posts

As Is was a (relatively) new song, and I think it's a damn good listen. Chinatown and Trouble with Never are good album filler tracks, but I skip them now when I listen to it.

Correct me if I am wrong, but that's it for "newer" recordings, correct? YAYB, CT, TWN and SF.

Stay Frosty should be getting played in concert from ADKOT, not Tattoo and Chinatown. I grew to appreciate Tattoo because I recorded a cover of it (shared on here somewhere), and I liked the bass part, not sure how much of what is on ADKOT was Mike's original line or Wolf's redone line.

Either way, a VH wrote it....

She's the Woman is a smoking tune, I know it's a 1970's original, but man, you can't but strut to it.

My biggest complaint for the disc isn't even the recycled riffs, it's the production. I know many roll their eyes when production and tone comes up, but Ed's tone is a buzzsaw. Combine that with the distorted bass through a gazillion channels high up in the mix, and then combined with maximum clipping modern production techniques, and the damn thing is a sonic chore to listen to.

It grates on the earbuds.

All that being said, taken as a whole, it's a really good comeback album, they sound like a young band. All that momentum was then wasted by band inactivity. Could've been a good foundation for VHIV as a recording unit, but they of course let it slip away.
    If I don't respond to you it means I have you on ignore, which means you are a douchenozzle.

Emperor Brett - "I can't believe you guys are analyzing song-by-song Van Halen III? What next, analyzing the script of Stroker Ace looking for some shred of Citizen Kane?"

David Lee Roth did the impossible. He made Van Halen better. Deal with it!

A man's rights rests in three boxes: the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box

Hurricane Halen - Let's all gingery touch our sword tips!!!

5. The Following 4 Members Like This Post:

Last Online

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by BlindtotheWorld View Post
    I also like Tattoo and agree that MWM and CGTSNM crush anything on ADKOT. That being said, for VH in 2012, it was a very good effort.
    Well, as opposed to getting jack shit, of course it was a 'good effort.'

But it should've been so much more. Of course, I can say the same thing about VH4 in general, alas.

The reworked demos just don't hold up, unfortunately. It's patchwork studio work at best. You can easily hear it now in hindsight. When it first dropped, I was as hyped as anyone. But after six months...it faded far too fast for a Van Halen album.

Favorite VH Album

Alex, Dave, Ed and Mike
    Favorite VH Song

Last Online

Maybe they should have tried more of Dave's songs, who knows. He supposedly showed up with binders full of songs. Now, who knows how finished they were, they could be just notes and snippets.
    If I don't respond to you it means I have you on ignore, which means you are a douchenozzle.

Emperor Brett - "I can't believe you guys are analyzing song-by-song Van Halen III? What next, analyzing the script of Stroker Ace looking for some shred of Citizen Kane?"

A man's rights rests in three boxes: the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box

Last Online

Donor

Dave's songs were EDM/techno in nature. HBSD is the closest they came to experimenting with that.

Hell, I"d have been happier if they'd just bothered to record together. Yeah, I know, bands don't do that anymore. Doesn't mean I can't hear the difference.

Atomic Punk
    Last Online

01.21.20 @ 10:57 AM
    Liked 2,366 Times in 1,595 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Van Squalen View Post

Big River is pretty good.

No, not A+ worthy or anything... But a solid B.
    Michael Caine on Jaws: The Revenge:

"I have never seen it, but by all accounts it is terrible. However, I have seen the house that it built and it is terrific."

Samuel Johnson 1775 : “Patriotism is the last refuge of a scoundrel”

"McDonalds is The Antichrist" - Bill Hicks

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jSH6ofHbeUw

"See, if you look at the drug war from a purely economic point of view, the role of the government is to protect the drug cartel." - Economist Milton Friedman (1991)

Last Online

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by rocknblues81 View Post
    Big River is pretty good.

No, not A+ worthy or anything... But a solid B.
    None of it's terribly good, other than Stay Frosty, which again, suffers from Mike's absence and flat production.

Last Online

01.16.20 @ 08:48 PM
    Liked 2,466 Times in 1,032 Posts

Premium Member

I would love to hear a follow up to ADKOT. There were some tunes that I really like on that disc, to include As Is, Chinatown and She’s the Woman.

And I think the “recycled riffs” argument is overrated.

There have been a number of recycled riffs over the years. Some more prominent than others .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

12. The Following Member Likes This Post:

Last Online

Donor

I do not think there will be any more Van Halen albums, from any version, be it 1.0, 2.0, 3.0, or 4.0, forthcoming, unfortunately.

Love to be wrong on this account. Ed, prove me wrong. Please.

Hot For Teacher
    Favorite VH Album

Fair warning
    Favorite VH Song

Girl gone bad!
    Last Online

11.13.19 @ 05:39 PM
    Liked 219 Times in 100 Posts

I am beginning to wonder if these dudes will ever tour again!

Favorite VH Album

Alex, Dave, Ed and Mike
    Favorite VH Song

Last Online

I think VH is done when it comes to putting out full length records. ADKOT might as well have been named Swan Song.

They've put out one album in the last twenty years, half of it stuff they wrote in the mid 1970's. The well is dry.

16. The Following Member Likes This Post:

Last Online

Donor

Swan song would actually be a sweet final album title from VH. With an according title track. A barn burner, naturally.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Hear About It Later
    Last Online

01.21.20 @ 03:34 PM
    Liked 2,396 Times in 1,360 Posts

I'm surprised that no one lists lead vocals as the main problem with ADKOT. Half the songs are problematic from a vocal stand point.
    Which WASNT the case on the 6 pack. Whatever doubts they shared privately about Dave's singing abilities, Ted Templeman made sure none of it surfaced on the records. His singing was flawless - at least what we heard of it, the way it was mixed and the way it meshed with the background vocals. And what's surprising is that with today's studio techniques, you can make anyone sound good.

Except, it seems, one David Lee Roth. Or at least that's the conclusion John Shanks reached.
    Little Dreamer

19. The Following 3 Members Like This Post:

Last Online

Donor

Patchwork studio engineering almost exclusively the biggest problem with ADKOT, including vox.

21. The Following Member Likes This Post: