Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register
Page 16 of 32 FirstFirst ... 61314151617181926 ... LastLast
Results 226 to 240 of 474
  1. #226
    Good Enough DRFC's Avatar
    Join Date
    02.04.15
    Posts
    2,025
    Favorite VH Album

    1
    Favorite VH Song

    I'm the One
    Last Online

    05.22.18 @ 03:48 AM
    Likes
    1,082
    Liked 2,256 Times in 1,059 Posts


    Premium Member

    Default

    Mikey was Jerry Rice.

  2. #227
    Good Enough DRFC's Avatar
    Join Date
    02.04.15
    Posts
    2,025
    Favorite VH Album

    1
    Favorite VH Song

    I'm the One
    Last Online

    05.22.18 @ 03:48 AM
    Likes
    1,082
    Liked 2,256 Times in 1,059 Posts


    Premium Member

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Harpospoke View Post
    Meh...Van Halen was the best at what they did and Van Hagar was the best at what they did. Neither could do what the other band did. They almost did nothing alike and can't play the other band's songs and do them justice.

    Even Mike and Dave know it was two different bands. Eddie and Alex too. They admitted it in a weak moment in one interview before Alex caught himself and realized they didn't change the name. Sammy is the only one I haven't heard comment on it but I would bet he considers Van Hagar its own entity too.
    The only thing I saw Sam say was in regards to a WB exec suggesting they call the new band "Van Hagar" and he said: "At first I was flattered. But then I thought, fuck that – this is Van Halen! I’m joining them. We’re not starting another band."

    But that doesn't really ask him what he thinks of the two eras in retrospect, which I agree he would now probably admit is it's own entity.

  3. The Following Member Likes This Post:


  4. #228
    Atomic Punk bklynboy68's Avatar
    Join Date
    01.10.12
    Posts
    20,596
    Favorite VH Album

    The Magnificent 7
    Last Online

    05.22.18 @ 05:32 PM
    Likes
    14,765
    Liked 12,969 Times in 7,293 Posts


    Premium Member

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Dave's Dreidel View Post
    There was a rock photographer, can't remember his name, that gave a video interview of the original VH breakup, and this is how he summarized (paraphrased).

    "I have a mound of cash here, a mound of cocaine there, and oh, fuck you!"

    And the response "I too have a mound of cash here, and a mound of cocaine there, and oh, fuck you too!"

    Ed and DLR were both rich and stoned and didn't want to deal with each other anymore. It really is that simple.

    There was no mature adult in the room.
    †"He has a swaggering retro machismo that will give hives to the Steinem cabal" -Camille Paglia on Donald Trump

    "Make way for the bad guy"- Tony Montana

    'This hamburger don't need no helper"- David Lee Roth

    "I wish Bon Jovi would've given me a call before he recorded all of his hits, because the lyrics would've been smarter, the melodies would've been much more smashing, and they would've sold a lot fewer records." -David Lee Roth

    "My beef is people thinking Bon Jovi is good cuz they sold lots of records to housewives." -tango

    "But being number one doesnít really mean jack fuck all. We sold twice as many records as other records that year (1984) that landed in the Number One position." ~Eddie Van Halen

  5. The Following Member Likes This Post:


  6. #229
    Baluchitherium VH122's Avatar
    Join Date
    01.03.05
    Age
    48
    Location
    Motor City
    Posts
    4,138
    Favorite VH Album

    5150
    Favorite VH Song

    Poundcake
    Last Online

    05.22.18 @ 11:42 AM
    Likes
    967
    Liked 367 Times in 274 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by PrideofPasadena View Post
    They definitely put fuel on it. No one disputes that. Some of the stupid shit they were saying was ridiculous.
    But it didn't matter. Down the road, this was gonna be the narrative if they did or not.

    The fans were already their without the fuel. A lot of people weren't seeing the MTV stuff or reading every magazine article.
    The fans started the narrative without hearing any of that. It was "Dave rules, Sammy sucks"... or vice versa, as soon as they heard the record.
    Dave or gravers were saying that before the 5150 album was released.

  7. #230
    Baluchitherium Harpospoke's Avatar
    Join Date
    03.12.12
    Location
    Dallas, TX
    Posts
    5,031
    Favorite VH Album

    Van Halen II
    Favorite VH Song

    Dance the Night Away
    Last Online

    05.22.18 @ 09:00 PM
    Likes
    12,550
    Liked 3,420 Times in 1,800 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by VH122 View Post
    Dave or gravers were saying that before the 5150 album was released.
    I don't agree.

    Every single VH fan I knew was excited about Sammy joining the brothers. At the time, Sammy's solo stuff was really seen as more "rock" than what VH had been doing with DD and 1984 believe it or not. You had to be there.

    So the general feeling was, "Cool! Now they'll get back to playing harder stuff again! Sammy on guitar with Eddie will be epic!"

    Of course after 5150 was released, that feeling went away pretty quick.

  8. The Following Member Likes This Post:


  9. #231
    Atomic Punk CaboChris's Avatar
    Join Date
    09.23.11
    Age
    46
    Location
    Reno, NV
    Posts
    19,413
    Last Online

    05.22.18 @ 09:35 PM
    Likes
    5,057
    Liked 9,781 Times in 5,816 Posts


    Premium Member

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Harpospoke View Post
    I don't agree.

    Every single VH fan I knew was excited about Sammy joining the brothers. At the time, Sammy's solo stuff was really seen as more "rock" than what VH had been doing with DD and 1984 believe it or not. You had to be there.

    So the general feeling was, "Cool! Now they'll get back to playing harder stuff again! Sammy on guitar with Eddie will be epic!"

    Of course after 5150 was released, that feeling went away pretty quick.
    Even at 13 years old I remember most people being excited about Sam in the band. I was going to like it regardless but then again, I was raised on MTV and New Wave music in addition to Rock. I didn't have the keyboard aversion.

  10. The Following Member Likes This Post:


  11. #232
    Baluchitherium VH122's Avatar
    Join Date
    01.03.05
    Age
    48
    Location
    Motor City
    Posts
    4,138
    Favorite VH Album

    5150
    Favorite VH Song

    Poundcake
    Last Online

    05.22.18 @ 11:42 AM
    Likes
    967
    Liked 367 Times in 274 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by CaboChris View Post
    Even at 13 years old I remember most people being excited about Sam in the band. I was going to like it regardless but then again, I was raised on MTV and New Wave music in addition to Rock. I didn't have the keyboard aversion.
    Was getting a different reaction up here in the old D.

  12. #233
    Eruption
    Join Date
    08.27.09
    Posts
    1,241
    Last Online

    05.22.18 @ 07:30 AM
    Likes
    192
    Liked 834 Times in 288 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Harpospoke View Post
    Every single VH fan I knew was excited about Sammy joining the brothers.
    Quote Originally Posted by CaboChris View Post
    Even at 13 years old I remember most people being excited about Sam in the band.
    I donít remember that jubilation at all. I remember thinking WTF! And then 5150 with electronic drums...shivering

    Of course the mainstream loved it so what do I know?

  13. The Following 4 Members Like This Post:


  14. #234
    Eruption
    Join Date
    03.07.16
    Age
    49
    Posts
    1,362
    Last Online

    05.22.18 @ 06:18 PM
    Likes
    2,128
    Liked 2,047 Times in 871 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by VH122 View Post
    Was getting a different reaction up here in the old D.
    That is odd because Detroit was a great market for Sammy, mid west cities were his sweet spot as a solo artist.

    I am as big of a graver as there is but I was psyched Sam was the new singer at the time. I loved HSAS and solo stuff prior to VOA. To me it was a way to get 2 versions of a great band cool. I heard an advance copy of 5150 from Mick Jones and I hated it. I've grown to appreciate it musically over time but yeah dissapointed at the time big time. But until then I was psyched about it, I dug Sam, I loved Van Halen so hell yeah it should work.

    The division really did come from the VH camp. Dave would have no reason to create a division as in his mind it was a temporary split. He was not looking to shit on it since he thought he would return after a couple years. Didn't work out that way
    Last edited by Darrin Stephens; 05.16.18 at 11:28 AM.

  15. The Following 2 Members Like This Post:


  16. #235
    Atomic Punk CaboChris's Avatar
    Join Date
    09.23.11
    Age
    46
    Location
    Reno, NV
    Posts
    19,413
    Last Online

    05.22.18 @ 09:35 PM
    Likes
    5,057
    Liked 9,781 Times in 5,816 Posts


    Premium Member

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Darrin Stephens View Post
    That is odd because Detroit was a great market for Sammy, mid west cities were his sweet spot as a solo artist.

    I am as big of a graver as there is but I was psyched Sam was the new singer at the time. I loved HSAS and solo stuff prior to VOA. To me it was a way to get 2 versions of a great band cool. I heard an advance copy of 5150 from Mick Jones and I hated it. I've grown to appreciate it musically over time but yeah dissapointed at the time big time. But until then I was psyched about it, I dug Sam, I loved Van Halen so hell yeah it should work.
    You're always name dropping. Stop it.

  17. #236
    Eruption
    Join Date
    03.07.16
    Age
    49
    Posts
    1,362
    Last Online

    05.22.18 @ 06:18 PM
    Likes
    2,128
    Liked 2,047 Times in 871 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by CaboChris View Post
    You're always name dropping. Stop it.
    We had the same publisher thats how we met. A lot of the folks ended up friends with because I was ridiculously young and had been living on the street previously so I had a lot of big brothers that were musicians watching over me. Some like Dave Meniketti are like brothers to me to this day but still treat me like I'm 12 fresh off the street, I'll be 50 next year and secure economically, doesn't matter to this day its still you ok kid, need anything. I've come to accept it. I have my wall street tribe, music tribe, cannabis tribe, and political junkies, its an eclectic gathering on the rare occasion I get them all together.

  18. The Following 2 Members Like This Post:


  19. #237
    Atomic Punk CaboChris's Avatar
    Join Date
    09.23.11
    Age
    46
    Location
    Reno, NV
    Posts
    19,413
    Last Online

    05.22.18 @ 09:35 PM
    Likes
    5,057
    Liked 9,781 Times in 5,816 Posts


    Premium Member

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Darrin Stephens View Post
    We had the same publisher thats how we met. A lot of the folks ended up friends with because I was ridiculously young and had been living on the street previously so I had a lot of big brothers that were musicians watching over me. Some like Dave Meniketti are like brothers to me to this day but still treat me like I'm 12 fresh off the street, I'll be 50 next year and secure economically, doesn't matter to this day its still you ok kid, need anything. I've come to accept it. I have my wall street tribe, music tribe, cannabis tribe, and political junkies, its an eclectic gathering on the rare occasion I get them all together.
    Nice. You did good.

  20. #238
    Eruption
    Join Date
    03.07.16
    Age
    49
    Posts
    1,362
    Last Online

    05.22.18 @ 06:18 PM
    Likes
    2,128
    Liked 2,047 Times in 871 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by CaboChris View Post
    Nice. You did good.
    Thanks, just didn't die and am stupid to acknowledge limits so I try a lot of shit. One life drive it like you stole it fuck reality its merely a suggestion turn the unimaginable into reality it's fun even if you fail. You always end up w a hell of a ride.

    Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

  21. The Following 2 Members Like This Post:


  22. #239
    Atomic Punk CaboChris's Avatar
    Join Date
    09.23.11
    Age
    46
    Location
    Reno, NV
    Posts
    19,413
    Last Online

    05.22.18 @ 09:35 PM
    Likes
    5,057
    Liked 9,781 Times in 5,816 Posts


    Premium Member

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Darrin Stephens View Post
    Thanks, just didn't die and am stupid to acknowledge limits so I try a lot of shit. One life drive it like you stole it fuck reality its merely a suggestion turn the unimaginable into reality it's fun even if you fail. You always end up w a hell of a ride.

    Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
    I wish I could have been like that. Risk taker. Let it all ride and see where you end up but Ive always needed security above everything else. Food, shelter, and clothing. I can't go hungry. I can't live on the streets. I can't live on couches etc.

    Also, I've never had a talent for anything other than a normal 5 day a week 9 to 5 job. Some of us are born with a never-ending drive for succeeding and some of us aren't. I guess success to me has always been just a good paying job.

  23. The Following 3 Members Like This Post:


  24. #240
    Good Enough
    Join Date
    05.22.00
    Location
    ..this desperate part of town.
    Posts
    2,339
    Last Online

    05.22.18 @ 01:40 PM
    Likes
    637
    Liked 304 Times in 149 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Harpospoke View Post
    I don't agree.

    Every single VH fan I knew was excited about Sammy joining the brothers. At the time, Sammy's solo stuff was really seen as more "rock" than what VH had been doing with DD and 1984 believe it or not. You had to be there.

    So the general feeling was, "Cool! Now they'll get back to playing harder stuff again! Sammy on guitar with Eddie will be epic!"

    Of course after 5150 was released, that feeling ramped up pretty quick.
    Fixed that for ya.
    Sings like a bird. Rocks like a pig.

  25. The Following 2 Members Like This Post:


 

 

Similar Threads

  1. An open letter to the writers of open letters...
    By CaboTime in forum Main VH Discussion
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 03.09.06, 04:11 PM
  2. open letter to Ed re: New Jersey 6/22/04
    By vhf27 in forum Reunion Tour 2004
    Replies: 33
    Last Post: 04.18.05, 08:54 PM
  3. An Open Letter to 5150
    By Vanglockner in forum Main VH Discussion
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 01.22.01, 12:11 PM
  4. An open letter to VH (re: Aerosmith)
    By VHDOF in forum Main VH Discussion
    Replies: 18
    Last Post: 01.11.01, 08:18 AM

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •