Page 13 of 14 FirstFirst ... 31011121314 LastLast
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Hear About It Later
    Last Online

05.22.18 @ 09:08 PM
    Liked 1,569 Times in 864 Posts

Agreed, but I was just comparing with other Batmen. It's a role demanding minimal acting chops, like most super hero parts. I didn't say he should get an Oscar for it.
    Little Dreamer

Baluchitherium
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Bottoms Up!
    Last Online

05.22.18 @ 09:37 PM
    Liked 2,338 Times in 1,510 Posts

Yeah, he's the best Batman. But the movies were done well, too. That helps him be better.

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen II
    Favorite VH Song

Dance the Night Away
    Last Online

05.22.18 @ 09:00 PM
    Liked 3,420 Times in 1,800 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Pacfanweb View Post
    IMO, some of the "classics" as far as movies and books are concerned haven't held up that well.

Citizen Kane is one of them. Don't like it at all. But I can see how, at its time, it really stood out.

So as far as being influential in the early days, it gets some credit. But compared to the best of the more recent movies.....it's not that good. IMO. Gone With the Wind I appreciate, but honestly it kind of sucks now. I don't consider the acting all that great, nor the movie overall. But in its day...awesome. So it deserves respect based on that.

But to sit there and directly compare the acting jobs in those movies to pretty much any good modern movie.....they just don't compare. In essence, we hold the modern movies to a higher standard and part of it is because of the movies that came before...which might not hold up to today's standards, but they are a big part of why today's standards are what they are.
    I get some of that. But I'm often able to enjoy older movies "in their time". I think it has something to do with me watching those old black and white movies every weekend with my mom when I was little. We would stay up til early in the morning sometimes. Really gave me a feel for what those movies "feel" like. So seeing Buster Keaton doing amazing stunts feels pretty epic to me even though a lot of what he did has been surpassed these days. (Maybe not everything though...he did some crazy stunts)

I get the pure charisma of Clark Gable in Gone with the Wind too. That dude just had it.

And to me this is still funny today. Probably because I think Harpo Marx was utterly unique. There has never been anyone like him since to make what he did look cliche.

Quote Originally Posted by rocknblues81 View Post
    Let's just ignore the poor dialogue found in most movies today... Let's even just go with action.

Today's directors can't even direct and film a coherent fight scene. Yes, that includes Christopher Nolan. Quick cuts.... Shaky cam.

Then you have terribly directed movies like The Jason Bourne movies. The Taken movies are another example. The director can't stay focused for more than a second or so.
    I'm not a fan of the shaky cam stuff either, but there are some pretty good fight scenes being filmed. I love this one:

Good Enough
    Last Online

05.22.18 @ 09:02 PM
    Liked 1,124 Times in 614 Posts

If you want to see an old movie that will blow your mind, and seems like it could've been made last week, check out Blackboard Jungle. All I knew about that movie was that Bill Haley and the Comets provided the theme song, so I expected a movie about jukeboxes and poodle skirts. But wow: rape, racism, gang violence, it was all in there, and discussed very frankly, especially for 1954! Glenn Ford was an extremely underrated actor, and it was Sidney Poitier's big screen debut, the Denzel Washington of his time.

When all the Confederate flag crap started I bought Gone with the Wind on DVD just in case it got banned. Still an excellent story, great dialogue, and Vivian Leigh still looks smokin' even though she died before I was born.

Tried Casablanca again, and also The Maltese Falcon. Just terrible. No, DON'T play it again, Sam! I beg you!

Favorite VH Album

Alex, Dave, Ed and Mike
    Favorite VH Song

The songs with Ed on them
    Last Online

05.22.18 @ 06:19 PM
    Liked 20,509 Times in 10,208 Posts

Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by Rokgtar View Post
    Really? That’s pretty fuckin sad. Even my 18 and 14 year olds know who Zep is.
    If I asked my sister in laws who Led Zeppelin is, they probably wouldn't know. They might be able to get out a timid "that's a band, right?"
    Taylor Swift is nice to look at. Adele can sing.

Emperor Brett - "I can't believe you guys are analyzing song-by-song Van Halen III? What next, analyzing the script of Stroker Ace looking for some shred of Citizen Kane?"

David Lee Roth did the impossible. He made Van Halen better. Deal with it!

A man's rights rests in three boxes: the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box

Hurricane Halen - Let's all gingery touch our sword tips!!!

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen II
    Favorite VH Song

Dance the Night Away
    Last Online

Quote Originally Posted by ArtyBoy View Post
    If you want to see an old movie that will blow your mind, and seems like it could've been made last week, check out Blackboard Jungle. All I knew about that movie was that Bill Haley and the Comets provided the theme song, so I expected a movie about jukeboxes and poodle skirts. But wow: rape, racism, gang violence, it was all in there, and discussed very frankly, especially for 1954! Glenn Ford was an extremely underrated actor, and it was Sidney Poitier's big screen debut, the Denzel Washington of his time.

When all the Confederate flag crap started I bought Gone with the Wind on DVD just in case it got banned. Still an excellent story, great dialogue, and Vivian Leigh still looks smokin' even though she died before I was born.

Tried Casablanca again, and also The Maltese Falcon. Just terrible. No, DON'T play it again, Sam! I beg you!
    That's kinda awesome to me how art works. If I really had to name one "favorite movie"...it's probably Casablanca. And it does nothing for you. Weird, huh?

I just adore the dialog in that movie. So many lines in the last scene alone that are well known today.
    "Round up the usual suspects" (that's where the name of that movie comes from)
    "Here's looking at you, kid"
    "We'll always have Paris"
    "This could be the beginning of a beautiful friendship"

And that's just that scene.

Ironically, "Play it again, Sam" was never uttered in the movie. The closest it gets is, "You played it for her, you can play it for me....play it!"

Totally agree about Vivien Leigh....wow she was beautiful!

I've never gotten around to watching Blackboard Jungle....it's on my list though. It's another one of those things about the 50s that belies the notion that the 50s were so "conservative" while the 60s made all the "progressive changes". In reality the 50s is where everything started changing.

Last Online

05.22.18 @ 09:35 PM
    Liked 9,781 Times in 5,816 Posts

Premium Member

You wanna a movie with great dialogue? Look no further than Garbo in "Ninotchka".

1939 was a great year for movies.

8. The Following 3 Members Like This Post:

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen II
    Favorite VH Song

Dance the Night Away
    Last Online

Quote Originally Posted by CaboChris View Post
    You wanna a movie with great dialogue? Look no further than Garbo in "Ninotchka".

Agreed. Hard to top that year: http://www.filmsite.org/1939.html

10. The Following Member Likes This Post:

Atomic Punk
    Last Online

05.22.18 @ 05:49 PM
    Liked 1,855 Times in 1,248 Posts

Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by ArtyBoy View Post

The Maltese Falcon is awesome. Great film noir. I probably enjoy The Big Heat, Double Indemnity and some others more, but its really good.
    Last edited by rocknblues81; 05.16.18 at 06:43 PM.
    Michael Caine on Jaws: The Revenge:

"I have never seen it, but by all accounts it is terrible. However, I have seen the house that it built and it is terrific."

Samuel Johnson 1775 : “Patriotism is the last refuge of a scoundrel”

"McDonalds is The Antichrist" - Bill Hicks

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jSH6ofHbeUw

12. The Following 3 Members Like This Post:

Atomic Punk
    Last Online

Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by CaboChris View Post

Stagecoach was probably the first real action movie.

You can tell that George Miller was influenced by it when he made Fury Road.

Then "Mr. Smith Goes to Washington".
    Last edited by rocknblues81; 05.16.18 at 06:47 PM.

"I have never seen it, but by all accounts it is terrible. However, I have seen the house that it built and it is terrific."

14. The Following 2 Members Like This Post:

Favorite VH Album

The First One
    Favorite VH Song

I'm The One
    Last Online

05.22.18 @ 07:21 PM
    Liked 18,598 Times in 10,584 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Dave's Dreidel View Post
    If I asked my sister in laws who Led Zeppelin is, they probably wouldn't know. They might be able to get out a timid "that's a band, right?"
    I remember being outraged when my 7th grade English teacher thought Led Zeppelin was the name of some guy in a band.
    "It's so lonely at the top because it's so crowded at the bottom" - Diamond David Lee Roth

"Political correctness is fascism pretending to be manners" - George Carlin

"Women and Children First ... The REAL Van Halen III"

Atomic Punk
    Last Online

Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by I Coulda Hada VH View Post
    I remember being outraged when my 7th grade English teacher thought Led Zeppelin was the name of some guy in a band.
    Sounds like that teacher deserved the Colonel Sanders treatment...

Favorite VH Album

Women and Children First
    Favorite VH Song

Everybody Wants Some!!
    Last Online

05.22.18 @ 12:26 PM
    Liked 995 Times in 614 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by I Coulda Hada VH View Post
    "Oh, and by the way, which one's Pink?"

18. The Following 2 Members Like This Post:

Baluchitherium
    Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Drop Dead Legs
    Last Online

05.22.18 @ 05:04 PM
    Liked 3,037 Times in 1,518 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by rocknblues81 View Post
    The Maltese Falcon is awesome. Great film noir. I probably enjoy The Big Heat, Double Indemnity and some others more, but its really good.
    The Big Clock, 1948, is fantastic film noir to me. Ray Milland and Charles Laughton. Remember No Way Out, the Kevin Costner 80s movie? That was essentially a remake of The Big Clock. Harry Morgan (from M.A.S.H.) plays a real villain henchman in it. Yeah, I bonded with my dad, who died a year ago, over many things including college football and his passion for classic movies so I've seen far more than most people my age or younger. It's hard to separate nostalgia/attachment from movies or music, but I still think tons of old movies hold up great regardless of technological or stylistic changes. I can watch Dawn Patrol from 1938 endlessly.

20. The Following 3 Members Like This Post:

Favorite VH Album

The First One
    Favorite VH Song

I'm The One
    Last Online

05.22.18 @ 07:21 PM
    Liked 18,598 Times in 10,584 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by TJENZ View Post
    "Oh, and by the way, which one's Pink?"
    Come to think of it, I think her exact words about Led Zeppelin were, "Oh, I don't like him!"
    "It's so lonely at the top because it's so crowded at the bottom" - Diamond David Lee Roth

"Political correctness is fascism pretending to be manners" - George Carlin

"Women and Children First ... The REAL Van Halen III"