Page 5 of 14 FirstFirst ... 2345678 ... LastLast
    Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Panama
    Last Online

12.09.19 @ 02:03 AM
    Liked 9,212 Times in 6,628 Posts

Premium Member

Sam's book never rubbed me the wrong way, as it apparently does for some on here, nor does it taint my appreciation for the music he made while in Van Halen.
    "There's too many people on this basketball that's floating around the sun, who are too afraid to allow themselves to FEEL" - Edward Van Halen
    "Van Halen was never about the singer..." - A very wise fan.
    "Embrace the past. Live in the moment but keep your eyes on the future, and keep on moving forward..." - Richie Sambora

2. The Following Member Likes This Post:

Hot For Teacher
    Last Online

11.02.19 @ 12:44 PM
    Liked 100 Times in 50 Posts

I don't think it was necessary for Sammy to write down every specific incident of Eddie being a drunken clown on that tour. For example, him writing that Wolfie was scared of Eddie and hid in from him in his dressing room was a low blow, and totally unnecessary. There are excerpts on the internet from an unreleased biography on Sammy in 1997 in which his ex wife talks about how horribly he treated her after the divorce. Apparently he didn't want the public reading that book, since it was never released.

I don't think Sammy is a bad guy at all, I think he's someone with no self awareness, and at his age it's hard for people like that to change.

4. The Following Member Likes This Post:

Favorite VH Album

ADKOT
    Favorite VH Song

Outta Space
    Last Online

12.08.19 @ 06:15 PM
    Liked 933 Times in 499 Posts

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by Darkness View Post
    I don't think it was necessary for Sammy to write down every specific incident of Eddie being a drunken clown on that tour. For example, him writing that Wolfie was scared of Eddie and hid in from him in his dressing room was a low blow, and totally unnecessary. There are excerpts on the internet from an unreleased biography on Sammy in 1997 in which his ex wife talks about how horribly he treated her after the divorce. Apparently he didn't want the public reading that book, since it was never released.

I don't think Sammy is a bad guy at all, I think he's someone with no self awareness, and at his age it's hard for people like that to change.
    Well, who wants to pay for publishing something bad an ex says? And remember...she was an EX. She wasn't going to have anything good to say about a dude who left her for a far hotter, younger babe, even though he left her very financially well-off. It's a divorce. There usually aren't warm fuzzies afterwards.

And remember, in the book Sam mentioned that her own brother told him "I don't know how you put up with it THIS long". No reason not to believe that. Chick had issues. Sam was a rock star, and a philanderer. Nobody was perfect, but who is?

He didn't write down "every specific incident" from 2004, either. He probably could do another whole book on those, just from that tour. However, you have to remember that was the most recent memory and probably the one he had the most details about. Just natural to have some more specifics, when a lot of the older stuff was more general.

And of course it's from his point of view....but I'd give him a fairly high accuracy rating because we all saw how Ed was that year, and some of the stories Sam told confirmed what other insiders said DURING the tour....I remember hearing the "I got hit by a car" story during the tour, for example.
    I asked a ref if he could give me a technical foul for thinking bad things about him. He said, of course not. I said, well, I think you stink. And he gave me a technical. You can't trust em. -
    Jimmy V

6. The Following 2 Members Like This Post:

Hot For Teacher
    Last Online

11.02.19 @ 12:44 PM
    Liked 100 Times in 50 Posts

I never said anything Sammy said was inaccurate. There was no reason for him to write that Wolfie hid from Eddie out of fear. That was a low blow and inexcusable. We got the point about Eddie without that tidbit.

As for the first book, true, his ex wife could be lying or exaggerating. But she says that Sammy and his new wife refused to let her have her mother's silverware back, an odd thing to make up, and if that's true, that's also inexcusable.

Baluchitherium
    Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Drop Dead Legs
    Last Online

12.09.19 @ 10:13 AM
    Liked 3,884 Times in 1,968 Posts

Just based on what we all saw of Eddie during those years; the samurai hair, no teeth, literally half his foot sticking out through his hobo shoes in public version of Eddie, I would have believed anything about him, including that he ate raw puppies for lunch. I read Sammy's book and I'm convinced he could have done much worse.

I mean, Zakk Wylde's standard barometer for "normal" in the rock world is Ozzy, so when he said (at Dimebag's funeral, no less) "I don't know what the hell happened to Ed," he lamented. "He hasn't just gone off the deep end — he's living in Atlantis! I couldn't get in a word without being interrupted by him. If I mentioned God, he'd say, 'There is no God or Jesus, only yes or no.' It was like he thought the whole thing was about him. He wasn't thinking about Dime, or even Vinnie and Dime's old lady, Rita, for that matter."

When the guy who hangs with Ozzy all day says you're way the fuck out there, there is a serious problem!

9. The Following 5 Members Like This Post:

Baluchitherium
    Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Drop Dead Legs
    Last Online

12.09.19 @ 10:13 AM
    Liked 3,884 Times in 1,968 Posts

I never said anything Sammy said was inaccurate. There was no reason for him to write that Wolfie hid from Eddie out of fear. That was a low blow and inexcusable. We got the point about Eddie without that tidbit.

As for the first book, true, his ex wife could be lying or exaggerating. But she says that Sammy and his new wife refused to let her have her mother's silverware back, an odd thing to make up, and if that's true, that's also inexcusable.
    I do agree that he could and should have left out stuff involving a child,

Atomic Punk
    Favorite VH Album

Depends on the Day of the Week
    Favorite VH Song

E W S
    Last Online

12.09.19 @ 11:04 AM
    Liked 2,266 Times in 1,336 Posts

What's stopping Michael Anthony from writing an auto-biography???
    "The VH Universe is built on a wall that separates CVH from SVH. Tell either side there's no wall, you've bought a war. Or a slaughter." Lt. Joshi - LAPD

Banned!
    Last Online

11.25.18 @ 07:41 PM
    Liked 11,191 Times in 6,765 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by The Rover View Post
    What's stopping Michael Anthony from writing an auto-biography???
    Nothing but he won't because he doesn't write.

13. The Following 2 Members Like This Post:

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen II
    Favorite VH Song

Dance the Night Away
    Last Online

05.08.19 @ 10:10 AM
    Liked 4,223 Times in 2,233 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Bugs Meanie View Post
    It was the controversial Chuck Klosterman interview... I'm not sure if I saw it anywhere else or remember it from anything else but that

https://www.billboard.com/articles/c...e-roth-touring
    Boy there is some real BS there:

As a consequence, the 1980s were saturated with Eddie clones, all of whom tried to prove that they, too, could hammer on the neck of their guitar with maximum dexterity. But it never really worked for anyone else.

“That was a different trip,” Van Halen recalls. “It was like, ‘What the hell did I start here?’ Because [that technique] had been a part of my playing for so long, and then everybody else started doing it. I did not take it as flattery.
    What was it...about a year or less that he started doing the tapping thing before the 1st album?

Quote Originally Posted by CaboChris View Post
    I think we've always just asumed that Sam's book is the reason that those two dont talk. I used to believe that but not anymore. Maybe Ed was pissed in the beginnig but after all these years still bitter about it? Nah.

To me, it fits with Ed's pattern which is, once he's done with you, he's done. That's messed up but that's his MO. He doesn't have any communication with people who didn't write a book about him. To my knowledge, he and Gary haven't spoken in many years so it's not just about never forgetting betrayal or whatever.
    Great point. I never thought about that before. But there are plenty of people that say things like "I haven't talked to Eddie in years" when there was nothing negative between them.

Quote Originally Posted by Pacfanweb View Post
    He didn't write down "every specific incident" from 2004, either. He probably could do another whole book on those, just from that tour. However, you have to remember that was the most recent memory and probably the one he had the most details about. Just natural to have some more specifics, when a lot of the older stuff was more general.

And of course it's from his point of view....but I'd give him a fairly high accuracy rating because we all saw how Ed was that year, and some of the stories Sam told confirmed what other insiders said DURING the tour....I remember hearing the "I got hit by a car" story during the tour, for example.
    I didn't have any problem with that either. Everyone saw what Eddie was like on that tour. What was Sammy supposed to say? And how could he just leave that tour out of the book? It was kind of a big deal. I would be like writing a book about JFK and leaving out the "negative assassination thing".

Banned!
    Last Online

Quote Originally Posted by Harpospoke View Post
    Great point. I never thought about that before. But there are plenty of people that say things like "I haven't talked to Eddie in years" when there was nothing negative between them.
    I don't think he's the type of guy that's going to call you out of the blue and be like "how ya doin' man, long time". He doesn't seem to be the kind that nurtures long-term friendships unless they're guitar-related business associations. Friends of the moment? Yeah but friends that he used to have? That's a shame to be blacklisted in a way because of nothing more than time. I also think that there's this unspoken rule that you just don't bother him. Maybe a vibe that he puts off? I wonder how many people have tried to reconnect with him to no avail.

Watch out George Lopez.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Hear About It Later
    Last Online

12.09.19 @ 11:06 AM
    Liked 2,350 Times in 1,325 Posts

In his book, Sammy didn't really paint a perfect picture of himself. He admitted being a jerk to his first wife, there was a lot of things where u felt the guy had good sides and bad sides, mainly in his personal life. But in the music business, he seems to be a straight shooter, that's why it's rare to find other musicians saying bad things about him. Sammy could go back onstage with the Montrose guys 40 years later without a problem.
    Little Dreamer

Favorite VH Album

ADKOT
    Favorite VH Song

Outta Space
    Last Online

12.08.19 @ 06:15 PM
    Liked 933 Times in 499 Posts

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by Harpospoke View Post
    Boy there is some real BS there:

What was it...about a year or less that he started doing the tapping thing before the 1st album?

First album was 1978. He was tapping obviously long before that. They were talking about the 80's and the other guitarists all trying to use his "trick". "The 80's" that the copying started really happening would be at least 82-83-ish. That would be 5-6 years after the first album, and if he only started tapping a year prior it'd still be 6-7 years.
    So that's a pretty long time that it was "part of his playing". I'd say it's an accurate statement.
    I asked a ref if he could give me a technical foul for thinking bad things about him. He said, of course not. I said, well, I think you stink. And he gave me a technical. You can't trust em. -
    Jimmy V

18. The Following Member Likes This Post:

Banned!
    Last Online

I think this sums it up about Ed's way of thinking. Former band mates, milestones, anniversaries and friends.

"Eddie Van Halen looks back on these transactions the way a Vietnam vet recalls Cambodia -- certain details are vivid while others blend together, but he has no nostalgia for any of it."

"But he has no nostalgia for any of it".

That's kinda brutal in a way. When he's done, he's done.

Atomic Punk
    Last Online

12.09.19 @ 07:26 AM
    Liked 2,314 Times in 1,568 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by CaboChris View Post
    I think this sums it up about Ed's way of thinking. Former band mates, milestones, anniversaries and friends.

"Eddie Van Halen looks back on these transactions the way a Vietnam vet recalls Cambodia -- certain details are vivid while others blend together, but he has no nostalgia for any of it."

"But he has no nostalgia for any of it".

That's kinda brutal in a way. When he's done, he's done.
    VH's music was fun but empty and Ed seems to be the same way... The difference is that the old stuff is still fun while Ed is just empty.
    Michael Caine on Jaws: The Revenge:

"I have never seen it, but by all accounts it is terrible. However, I have seen the house that it built and it is terrific."

Samuel Johnson 1775 : “Patriotism is the last refuge of a scoundrel”

"McDonalds is The Antichrist" - Bill Hicks

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jSH6ofHbeUw

"See, if you look at the drug war from a purely economic point of view, the role of the government is to protect the drug cartel." - Economist Milton Friedman (1991)

Atomic Punk Get The Show On The Road's Avatar
    Favorite VH Album

Van Halen
    Favorite VH Song

I'm The One
    Last Online

12.09.19 @ 08:54 AM
    Liked 17,227 Times in 9,098 Posts

Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by rocknblues81 View Post
    VH's music was fun but empty and Ed seems to be the same way... The difference is that the old stuff is still fun while Ed is just empty.
    The only genre I really know is Van Halen.

22. The Following Member Likes This Post: